AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-27, 15:24   Link #1
Saint Salty

Claymore Chronicles - Fan RPG

The full version of the game will be available on a website when it is finished. Please check the news below to keep yourself updated.

[News & Announcements]

Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Announcement: Game Concepts
Summary:
-A list of the current features that are planned to make it into the game
Spoiler for Announcement:

Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Announcement: Progress Report
Summary:
-Progress will halt due to personal and school issues that have arised

Date: Monday, February 1, 2010
Announcement: General Announcement
Summary:
-Taking on willing recruits to help with production
-Taking on 1 on 1 interviews

Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Announcement: Game Concepts
Summary:
-Changed storyline; Yagi's story occurs at the end.
-Open world to explore before final boss, with bonus dungeon.
-50 Side Quests, 25 Main Quests are confirmed to be in the game.

Date: Friday, January 22, 2010
Announcement: Progress Report Game Concepts General Announcement
Summary:
-No creating your own Claymore
-Demos will be available
-Battle system already planned out
-Story will follow manga until a certain point, then an entire new story and different made up concepts will be introduced
-The game is still in early development, I am awaiting some graphics and scripts and then production will soar

Last edited by Saint Salty; 2010-04-27 at 16:59. Reason: New Announcement
Old 2009-12-28, 01:24   Link #2
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Good luck - may it make it past the vaporware stage
Old 2009-12-28, 02:43   Link #3
Saint Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Good luck - may it make it past the vaporware stage
Thanks for the support. I promise this will not only make it past vaporware, it will be a complete legitimate game, hopefully surpassing the DS version in terms of gameplay and features.

A lot of you are clearly not interested in this due to the fact that it's hard to believe I'll finish this, or the fact that I am not going to be serious and give you guys a sloppy version. I assure you, I am doing my very best and consulting people I have worked with in the past who are even more experienced than me.
I promise I will release screenshots for you all to see in the near future.

Now, PLEASE bear with me because I REALLY need your opinion on these features, this will make or break the game based on what you guys want.
This is YOUR game, so please input your opinions!

Crafting System
Reasons for implementing:
Allows the user to gather materials from dropped Yoma and create original weapons. Weapons stats and attributes will change depending on materials used.
This will save time, so that instead of me creating hundreds of separate weapons, the user can create their own.
Reasons for ignoring:
In the world of Claymore, the main weapon is in fact...A Claymore. The original intent was to have different versions of Claymores. Some stronger, some weaker, some with special effects (This is explained how it's possible in the game, since in the manga all Claymores are the same apparently.) so "crafting" in the universe cannot be done because the Claymores are made by the organization and how they are is unknown. This feature could offset the actual factuality of the anime/manga.

Yoma Power Meter
Reasons for implementing:
The power meter is a little bar in the right hand corner of the screen that when the player presses the "P" button, the bar increases by 10% intervals, maxing at 80%. The player can decrease the bar by 10% intervals by pressing "O". At 80% the screen flashes red, and continues for 30 seconds, afterwards it's gameover, since you awaken. For every 10% increase in the bar, ALL characters in the party do 10% more damage to everything, but take 15% more damage. This is the table of values:
10% Damage -> 15% Vulnerability
20% Damage -> 25% Vulnerability
30% Damage -> 35% Vulnerability
40% Damage -> 45% Vulnerability
50% Damage -> 55% Vulnerability
60% Damage -> 65% Vulnerability
70% Damage -> 75% Vulernability
80% Damage -> 150% Vulnerability (And only 30 seconds to live in the world map, time halts in battles so you can have 80% damage in battle, then have to quickly lower the bar afterwards.)
This can add a whole new sense into battles in terms of strategy. Would you increase damage to sacrifice defense?

Reasons to ignore:
Although this would add more realism and dynamic to the game, it would make the game a breeze on easier difficulties. The Easy and Normal difficulties are simple as it is, but can you imagine a 50% increase in power at the cost of 55% defense reduction? You would one hit all the Yoma before they could inflict damage, making leveling up very easy. Of course on the higher difficulties like Hard and "Claymore" (VERY Hard), this could prove useful to raise your power, but you will most likely get killed in one hit.
This power meter is very risky in terms of balance of gameplay.

Please debate over these. I will add more debatable features later on and include them in a SPOILER in the first post. Thank you.

Last edited by Saint Salty; 2009-12-28 at 03:11.
Old 2009-12-28, 04:28   Link #4
Saint Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
a skills/character specialization type "mmo" rpg would be really cool.

have like the popular/main claymores to choice from and also an option to make your own new claymores.

the crafting could maybe be used more for creating/improving sword techniques or maybe yoki abilities/powers/use?
Well, I can't make this online, I would need a server to host from, and my computer can't handle that. I honestly do not want to pay for a host, so unless someone is willing to host the server 24/7 for free, that's out of the question.

With the creating your own Claymore idea, it would be great, but I would have to make major changes to the storyline I currently have, HOWEVER, if people like the idea enough, I will include it in the game.

For now, I don't believe there has been a script to accomplish creating new skills, only items. Because the diversity of skills is much greater than a simple item, so it would get far too complex, and such a script would most likely lag the gameplay due to the game engine reading too much info in the background.

There is a way to improve the skills and learn new ones however. You guys can pick from these three options:
From leveling up - You get new skills from reaching a certain level.
Buying skills - You talk to a member from the organization and you can buy skills if you meet the requirements
Spending skill points - Everytime you kill a monster, your "class", not your character, gets experience. Your class will level up over time and you will gain "Skill Points". You can spend these points on gaining new skills and improving current ones. This system is a direct copy of "Ragnarok Online" if you are familiar with it.

Anyway, thank you very much for your input! I will take these into consideration.
Old 2009-12-28, 05:00   Link #5
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quite frankly, I don't like the idea of deviating too much from the story. Thus your crafting system and youma power meter is unappealing to me.

Ryus had some excellent ideas on the ideal Claymore game in the DS game thread.

I'm not a huge fan of fallout - and there are several problems I have with the idea (I hate when games push me away from being a perfectionist - if I want every youma dead in area, I want to have time to do it.). That said, I like his ideas about not leaving your assigned area for long (and only being able to do it by accepting AB hunts in other regions). I also like the idea of letting you awaken and try your hand at the game from the AB perspective.

As for game mechanics, I think youki is easily managed:
Have a stat for the ability of controlling youki.
Then a youki release will be the amount you wish to release + some random value dependant on your control (that is why priscilla lost control, while Galatea-sama can fight all day in 70%+ mode). Youki releases would boost speed, power, and evade stats.
Every youki release beyond the intended level will count as a phyche damage value that will accumulate, potentially leading to a black card situation(Elena/Hilda/Rosemary style unintended awakening) if unchecked. The value could decrease over time if no youki is released for a long enough time or with special items or both.

Offensive stats should be increased by levels and skills, not by weapon upgrades. Armor upgrades are fair game, as are amulets and other trinkets. If you wish to boost attack, make it by finding a practice area or something like that gets a STR boost - rather the a new weapon (bronze claymore+2->Silver Claymore-1).

The monitary system I recommend getting a cut from the youma hunting payments which you can use with the org to buy armor upgrades. After Pieta, buy stuff from either Rabona, or from Rubel.

Story flow:
- Kill youma locally to prove your worth to the Org to get you on AB hunts.
- Kill ABs and make useful contacts (Helen/Deneve/Miria/etc)
- Ophelia incident/Pieta
- Open world.

To keep the story moving, do the same trick they used in dragon quest 7. Put level caps on areas. In another words, staying in the first area and killing nothing but youma will not get you to level 99 no matter how long you play (killing youma will be easy, but you'll still not be a match for a single digit) - only harder enemies will allow you to level beyond a certain point. Visits from Raphaela prevent you from exploring the really advanced stages of the game for the first bit (since the org controls which missions you get).

For game mechanics, since it is an RPG, the closer it stays to the Dragon Quest model, the happier I'll be.

I think this would work much better.
Old 2009-12-28, 05:01   Link #6
FateAnomaly

Pretty ambitious project. I would love to try it out when you finish it.

May I ask what time period the main storyline is set in? Also, is it going to be a party system or just 1 character?
Old 2009-12-28, 13:06   Link #7
Saint Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Pretty ambitious project. I would love to try it out when you finish it.

May I ask what time period the main storyline is set in? Also, is it going to be a party system or just 1 character?
This is the original battle system of the program, it's set as default:

The battle system will look roughly like this. Although I have made customizations to it, so it will look MUCH nicer. It's Turn Based and yes, you can play with a party of up to 4 characters.

The storyline will be set when Teresa was in training, all the way to the part with the Priscilla showdown. It will follow the manga to a point, but I will have twists here and there.

Quote:
Quite frankly, I don't like the idea of deviating too much from the story. Thus your crafting system and youma power meter is unappealing to me.

Ryus had some excellent ideas on the ideal Claymore game in the DS game thread.

I'm not a huge fan of fallout - and there are several problems I have with the idea (I hate when games push me away from being a perfectionist - if I want every youma dead in area, I want to have time to do it.). That said, I like his ideas about not leaving your assigned area for long (and only being able to do it by accepting AB hunts in other regions). I also like the idea of letting you awaken and try your hand at the game from the AB perspective.

As for game mechanics, I think youki is easily managed:
Then a youki release will be the amount you wish to release + some random value dependant on your control (that is why priscilla lost control, while Galatea-sama can fight all day in 70%+ mode). Youki releases would boost speed, power, and evade stats.
Every youki release beyond the intended level will count as a phyche damage value that will accumulate, potentially leading to a black card situation(Elena/Hilda/Rosemary style unintended awakening) if unchecked. The value could decrease over time if no youki is released for a long enough time or with special items or both.

Offensive stats should be increased by levels and skills, not by weapon upgrades. Armor upgrades are fair game, as are amulets and other trinkets. If you wish to boost attack, make it by finding a practice area or something like that gets a STR boost - rather the a new weapon (bronze claymore+2->Silver Claymore-1).

The monitary system I recommend getting a cut from the youma hunting payments which you can use with the org to buy armor upgrades. After Pieta, buy stuff from either Rabona, or from Rubel.

Story flow:
- Kill youma locally to prove your worth to the Org to get you on AB hunts.
- Kill ABs and make useful contacts (Helen/Deneve/Miria/etc)
- Ophelia incident/Pieta
- Open world.

To keep the story moving, do the same trick they used in dragon quest 7. Put level caps on areas. In another words, staying in the first area and killing nothing but youma will not get you to level 99 no matter how long you play (killing youma will be easy, but you'll still not be a match for a single digit) - only harder enemies will allow you to level beyond a certain point. Visits from Raphaela prevent you from exploring the really advanced stages of the game for the first bit (since the org controls which missions you get).

For game mechanics, since it is an RPG, the closer it stays to the Dragon Quest model, the happier I'll be.

I think this would work much better.
Thank you very much for the link, I appreciate it. As for your ideas:

I also like the idea of letting you awaken and try your hand at the game from the AB perspective.
I will look into this, however I doubt I will do this for this game. This game is pretty much about Teresa and everyone in her arc, I will however plan a sequel about Clare, and I will hopefully add this feature for her.

Due to the nature of RPG Maker XP, creating a "stat" aside from the original stats set is out of my abilities. I will try and find an old scripter that I worked with to see if this can be done, but otherwise I will have to find another way to do this. But if I could make said stat, this way would probably be the easiest.

Stats will be increased on your own accord. Every level up you get stat points to spend in whatever stats you want, kind of like Diablo II.
You can equip a weapon, helmet, armor and accessory to further boost your stats, along with learning passive skills. There will be segments in the game where you get various power boosts from training. Secondly, you cannot refine weapons or armor. That will only be available in the sequel. The organization does not have this "knowledge" yet.

In another words, staying in the first area and killing nothing but youma will not get you to level 99 no matter how long you play

Level 99 is the cap. Also, this seems like a good idea, I may input this if people like it.
As for your not being able to leave the area, that's already taken care of. You will physically not be able to leave the area and your character will notify you that you still have a mission. For the idea of an open world afterwards, I will most likely make this available, but with nothing really new happening in towns, you can just catch up on side quests and find any items you missed, but there will be a bonus dungeon you can visit.

I do believe the default battle system is based off Dragon Quest, just the portraits are on the bottom of the screen.
Old 2009-12-28, 14:13   Link #8
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Salty View Post
Due to the nature of RPG Maker XP, creating a "stat" aside from the original stats set is out of my abilities. I will try and find an old scripter that I worked with to see if this can be done, but otherwise I will have to find another way to do this. But if I could make said stat, this way would probably be the easiest.
Then why don't you make the stats life points/youki points(youki control/human consciousness/whatever)?
The youki releases themselves do not need a seperate mana gauge - a prolonged youki release will deplete mana just the same.
Old 2009-12-28, 14:51   Link #9
Saint Salty

Quote:
Then why don't you make the stats life points/youki points(youki control/human consciousness/whatever)?
The youki releases themselves do not need a seperate mana gauge - a prolonged youki release will deplete mana just the same.
So what you're saying is that in battle, you have skills like "Release Minor Yoma", "Release Moderate Yoma", "Release Major Yoma", and each skill will have a different variable formula attached to them, so the chance of going over your limit is greater depending on the skill?
Old 2009-12-28, 21:49   Link #10
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
So what you're saying is that in battle, you have skills like "Release Minor Yoma", "Release Moderate Yoma", "Release Major Yoma", and each skill will have a different variable formula attached to them, so the chance of going over your limit is greater depending on the skill?
youki - not youma.
But yeah - something like that.
Say you tell your character to do a 10% youki release. Depending on their youki control stat, they may do 8-12% release that turn. If it's 11%, and since you only intended 10%, you get one youki "damage point" for that turn. You get enough youki damage points, you awaken and game over. If you increase your youki control stat, the chances of you going over you intended release rate goes down - thus you can release longer. The more youki you release, the harder it is to control of course, so a 60% release might have a +/- 6 damage point score (thereby the more/longer you release, the more mana damage you take). The amount of damage does not even have to be random (the control stat would then be inversly proportional to youki damage rate). (for example: youki control 75% = 25% damage rate. Doing a 10% release = 2.5 points of 'mana' damage - that kind of thing [a 60% release = 15 points of 'mana' damage], and someone like Galatea-sama with a 99% youki control stat, will only suffer 0.1 pts of mana damage when doing a 10% release [0.6pts for a 60% release]).

To make it even more like the manga - you might want to make it so that after a certain point, youki damage increases on it's own - even without further youki releases (like being poisoned in final fantasy/dragon quest games, expect it's for the 'mana' gauge, not the life point gauge). How or if you can restore mana damage, is up to you. Off the top of my head, if damage is < 30%, then it does down on it's own, if < 50% rest at inns/whatever will work. For <75%, damage will acrue slowly - youki supresants effective or inn rest recommended. For > 75%, damage goes up quicker and both youki supresants and bedrest are in order asap.

This is just an idea I had, but I think it could work. Feel free to expand on it, tweak it, add your personal touches, or anything else you like - you're the one making the game afterall. Experiment and find something like that which is fun and workable - yet true to the story.

edit:
Alternatively - damage taken during a youki release could count towards both life point damage and mana damage.
Old 2009-12-28, 22:31   Link #11
Saint Salty

Quote:
youki - not youma.
But yeah - something like that.
Say you tell your character to do a 10% youki release. Depending on their youki control stat, they may do 8-12% release that turn. If it's 11%, and since you only intended 10%, you get one youki "damage point" for that turn. You get enough youki damage points, you awaken and game over. If you increase your youki control stat, the chances of you going over you intended release rate goes down - thus you can release longer. The more youki you release, the harder it is to control of course, so a 60% release might have a +/- 6 damage point score (thereby the more/longer you release, the more mana damage you take). The amount of damage does not even have to be random (the control stat would then be inversly proportional to youki damage rate). (for example: youki control 75% = 25% damage rate. Doing a 10% release = 2.5 points of 'mana' damage - that kind of thing [a 60% release = 15 points of 'mana' damage], and someone like Galatea-sama with a 99% youki control stat, will only suffer 0.1 pts of mana damage when doing a 10% release [0.6pts for a 60% release]).

To make it even more like the manga - you might want to make it so that after a certain point, youki damage increases on it's own - even without further youki releases (like being poisoned in final fantasy/dragon quest games, expect it's for the 'mana' gauge, not the life point gauge). How or if you can restore mana damage, is up to you. Off the top of my head, if damage is < 30%, then it does down on it's own, if < 50% rest at inns/whatever will work. For <75%, damage will acrue slowly - youki supresants effective or inn rest recommended. For > 75%, damage goes up quicker and both youki supresants and bedrest are in order asap.

This is just an idea I had, but I think it could work. Feel free to expand on it, tweak it, add your personal touches, or anything else you like - you're the one making the game afterall. Experiment and find something like that which is fun and workable - yet true to the story.

edit:
Alternatively - damage taken during a youki release could count towards both life point damage and mana damage.
An interesting idea, however, in the game, Youki is basically your mana, so any abilities you can perform, offensive and defense, take up Youki. Like Irene's flash sword. It's basically like skills in any game, such as WoW, Ragnarok Online, CABAL, ETC. The intended purpose of said Youki Release was to just have a control gauge with a set limit.

An alternative to this, is that I can make a gauge that you can raise your Youki power, but depending on your level and how far you are in the game, you can only raise it to a certain extent. The same bonuses I stated will apply.
I talked to some scripters, they said that creating a stat like this is very complex due to the nature of the formula that you speak of, I know they can do it, they simply just don't have the time to write the piece of coding.
Old 2009-12-28, 22:46   Link #12
Saint Salty

The only problem is, since you guys want this to stay true to the manga, the characters I have are not known to be capable of reverting from an Awakened form.

Miria, Helen, Deneve, Clare, Priscilla, Clare and Alicia are the only known Claymores to achieve this.

In the time of Teresa, reverting from an Awakened Being back to human was considered impossible, no matter how well the Claymore controls their Youki.
Old 2009-12-28, 22:53   Link #13
Saint Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
true, i was thinking more for the ABs/AOs, if you were going to make this part of this game or another game, from their perspective
For the sequel, this can be incorporated, since Clare will be the main character.
However, for now I only see three alternatives, the original gauge meter that goes up to 80%, the "capped" gauge meter that has a limit based on level and storyline progression, and the third alternative is just to not have Youki Release and only have Youki Abilities that consume Mana (Youki).
Old 2009-12-28, 23:10   Link #14
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
An interesting idea, however, in the game, Youki is basically your mana, so any abilities you can perform, offensive and defense, take up Youki. Like Irene's flash sword. It's basically like skills in any game, such as WoW, Ragnarok Online, CABAL, ETC. The intended purpose of said Youki Release was to just have a control gauge with a set limit.

An alternative to this, is that I can make a gauge that you can raise your Youki power, but depending on your level and how far you are in the game, you can only raise it to a certain extent. The same bonuses I stated will apply.
I talked to some scripters, they said that creating a stat like this is very complex due to the nature of the formula that you speak of, I know they can do it, they simply just don't have the time to write the piece of coding.
Well, Irene's flash sword is a youki release - a 80+% in a single arm. Therefore it would cause "youki damage points" the same the "10% youki release" or "75% youki release" skills. Any skill that uses youma power would cause youki damage.

My proposal is that instead of having the mana pool be finite - make it basically infinite, but the consequences of tapping into it be the limiting factor (in essense, those a measure of those consequences would be the "mana" gauge). That way you can't play with a "60% release" the whole game and then try to compensate for it by artificially lowering defence or anything like that.

3 gauges might be ideal, but I think it's possible to get away with 2 this way.
Old 2009-12-28, 23:20   Link #15
Saint Salty

Quote:
Well, Irene's flash sword is a youki release - a 80+% in a single arm. Therefore it would cause "youki damage points" the same the "10% youki release" or "75% youki release" skills. Any skill that uses youma power would cause youki damage.

My proposal is that instead of having the mana pool be finite - make it basically infinite, but the consequences of tapping into it be the limiting factor (in essense, those a measure of those consequences would be the "mana" gauge). That way you can't play with a "60% release" the whole game and then try to compensate for it by artificially lowering defence or anything like that.

3 gauges might be ideal, but I think it's possible to get away with 2 this way.
This was actually my first idea, to have an unlimited mana pool, however, this is known for a fact to be impossible in this program. Every stat/bar/value MUST have a limit. Wether it be 9999999999999999999 or 9999, it needs to have a limit.

EDIT: You know what? Regardless of the limitations, I will attempt this. I will keep you informed tomorrow on how the progress went. Thank you very much for the ideas, Cyclone, I appreciate them. Hopefully this will appeal to as many fans as possible. I can't be perfect and follow the manga to a point, since some fans want a "What If" storyline, but I will try and keep the global concepts intact.
Old 2009-12-29, 10:46   Link #16
Vantek
Asleep Being

The simplest idea I can come up with to put release youki into the game would be something along the lines of this (using pretty random numbers). Let's say a charachter has a base mana pool of 300/300. 10% release would allow her to access an additional pool, say 100/100. 20% release would include 10% release and grant access to a further 100/100 pool. Mana is taken "from the bottom up", base pool before anything else, 10% release pool before higher pools, then 20% pool etc. Each mana pools will refill with time independent of others. As soon as you release youki, you gain the option to cancel it (or drop to a lower level).

I liked Cyclone's idea of "self-control damage points" that, when too much recieved, will result in awakening. Let's say initiating the release would cause damage and then keeping up the release would cause damage over time. Each higher level would cause exponentially more damage, i.e releasing 50% for x amount of time would hurt more than releasing 10% for 5x amount of time (this is the strong vibe I got from the series - everyone is very reluctant to release a lot of youki at a time). I would like it if there was a permament component as well as temporary component to this. I.e let's say 100 damage is done. 1 of this is permament, 99 will heal over x amount of time. So after the 99 damage heals, now when you get 100 damage again, your total damage will be 101, 2 of this permament, 99 temporary. Let's say you've recieved 100 damage 100 times over a long period of time. You will now have 100 permament damage, meaning if you get 100 damage again, the total will be 200. It's the total that counts towards the awakening. This would mean that there is both "releasing too much in one moment" way to awaken (Priscilla, Ophelia), and the "worn out over long period of time" way to awaken (the whole black card business, like Elena if I remember her name right). The more worn out you are, the easier it is to awaken in the heat of battle.

So let's say our charachter uses up mana from her base pool down to 50/300 and releases 10% youki. Her mana will now become 150/400. Let's say she uses up a further 100 mana and cancels the release. She will now have 0/300 in her base pool and her 10% pool will be down to 50/100. If she now immediately releases 10% again, she will only gain that 50 mana again. After x amount of time has passed, her base pool will have 150/300 and her 10% release pool will have 100/100. After x/2 amount of time, her base pool will have 75/300 and 10% release pool 75/100.

So let's say
1) our charachter has used her base pool down to 50/300, and all release pools are full
2) then releases 10% for a total of 150/400
3) uses up 75 mana, so she now has 0/300 in her base pool and 75/100 in her 10% release pool for a total of 75/400
4) then decides she needs to use a move which costs 125 mana so she releases 20% for a total of 175/500
5) does that 125 mana move, ends the fight and cancels all youki release
6) she will now have 0/300 in her base pool, 0/100 in her 10% release pool and 50/100 in her 20% release pool; in order to have any mana at all she would need to release at least 20% youki
7) after x amount of time, base pool will have 150/300 mana, 10% release pool will have 50/100 mana and 20% release pool will have 100/100.

And one more idea is that some moves could require a lot of mana in the pool, but would themselves use up little mana (or maybe even no mana at all for passive skills). E.g some move could requie 500 mana to be available in the pool, but would themselves actually use up only 10 mana each time. This is another vibe I got from the series and it would add a further dimension to the whole youki release business.

Just some thoughts ^^ No idea if this is possible to do with this program. Numbers are all random and would of course require a lot of thinking and testing to get right.
Old 2009-12-29, 16:32   Link #17
Saint Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantek View Post
The simplest idea I can come up with to put release youki into the game would be something along the lines of this (using pretty random numbers). Let's say a charachter has a base mana pool of 300/300. 10% release would allow her to access an additional pool, say 100/100. 20% release would include 10% release and grant access to a further 100/100 pool. Mana is taken "from the bottom up", base pool before anything else, 10% release pool before higher pools, then 20% pool etc. Each mana pools will refill with time independent of others. As soon as you release youki, you gain the option to cancel it (or drop to a lower level).

I liked Cyclone's idea of "self-control damage points" that, when too much recieved, will result in awakening. Let's say initiating the release would cause damage and then keeping up the release would cause damage over time. Each higher level would cause exponentially more damage, i.e releasing 50% for x amount of time would hurt more than releasing 10% for 5x amount of time (this is the strong vibe I got from the series - everyone is very reluctant to release a lot of youki at a time). I would like it if there was a permament component as well as temporary component to this. I.e let's say 100 damage is done. 1 of this is permament, 99 will heal over x amount of time. So after the 99 damage heals, now when you get 100 damage again, your total damage will be 101, 2 of this permament, 99 temporary. Let's say you've recieved 100 damage 100 times over a long period of time. You will now have 100 permament damage, meaning if you get 100 damage again, the total will be 200. It's the total that counts towards the awakening. This would mean that there is both "releasing too much in one moment" way to awaken (Priscilla, Ophelia), and the "worn out over long period of time" way to awaken (the whole black card business, like Elena if I remember her name right). The more worn out you are, the easier it is to awaken in the heat of battle.

So let's say our charachter uses up mana from her base pool down to 50/300 and releases 10% youki. Her mana will now become 150/400. Let's say she uses up a further 100 mana and cancels the release. She will now have 0/300 in her base pool and her 10% pool will be down to 50/100. If she now immediately releases 10% again, she will only gain that 50 mana again. After x amount of time has passed, her base pool will have 150/300 and her 10% release pool will have 100/100. After x/2 amount of time, her base pool will have 75/300 and 10% release pool 75/100.

So let's say
1) our charachter has used her base pool down to 50/300, and all release pools are full
2) then releases 10% for a total of 150/400
3) uses up 75 mana, so she now has 0/300 in her base pool and 75/100 in her 10% release pool for a total of 75/400
4) then decides she needs to use a move which costs 125 mana so she releases 20% for a total of 175/500
5) does that 125 mana move, ends the fight and cancels all youki release
6) she will now have 0/300 in her base pool, 0/100 in her 10% release pool and 50/100 in her 20% release pool; in order to have any mana at all she would need to release at least 20% youki
7) after x amount of time, base pool will have 150/300 mana, 10% release pool will have 50/100 mana and 20% release pool will have 100/100.

And one more idea is that some moves could require a lot of mana in the pool, but would themselves use up little mana (or maybe even no mana at all for passive skills). E.g some move could requie 500 mana to be available in the pool, but would themselves actually use up only 10 mana each time. This is another vibe I got from the series and it would add a further dimension to the whole youki release business.

Just some thoughts ^^ No idea if this is possible to do with this program. Numbers are all random and would of course require a lot of thinking and testing to get right.
That will overcomplicate many many things and will lag the program to no end.
I have a fairly simple but effective idea using Cyclone's idea.

In battle, you'll have a bar on the side of the screen with a little pointer that goes up and down. The middle of the bar is 0. Depending on your Youki Control stat, the speed at which the pointer goes up and down the bar varies. The more Control, the slower it goes.

Each ability will consume a certain amount of Youki. Say Irene's Flash Sword will take 10. The bar will have values from -5 to 5. If the player stops the pointer above 0, the extra number, say he stops at 2 will be recorded.
First, the ability will consume 2 more Youki, so it will consume 12 instead of 10.
Secondly, you will gain a slight boost in attack power for that ability, so around 2% more damage.
Thirdly, that 2 will go into an "Awaken Meter" on the side. If it fills up in battle (Say to around 15) it will be game over.
Old 2009-12-29, 17:34   Link #18
Vantek
Asleep Being

Well, you know, I was just throwing that out there ^^ I like to think about game design
Old 2009-12-29, 17:38   Link #19
Saint Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantek View Post
Well, you know, I was just throwing that out there ^^ I like to think about game design
Of course, all ideas are welcome, because you never know what I may use. Your idea may possibly spark another one, so feel free to contribute
Old 2010-01-13, 00:50   Link #20
Darius of the mirror

dude I think this is an amazing idea, first off, I have a question about the whole power bar idea, does it only last 30 seconds in battle as well? I believe that instead of sacrificing defense, it should act like poison, whittling away at their health, while having all their stats raised, the more power you release at a time the faster it whittles, I truly believe you should be able to make your own claymore, and instead of weapon crafting, after a certain level allow your character to focus on one uber technique... like Irene's flash sword, or Jeane's 21 rotation drill, the rippling blade etc... but include new ones, brb to post more on what I would think would be cool
Closed Thread