AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-30, 21:00   Link #281
kitsunisan

What animal is Saki supposed to represent with those ears of hers? Tsumiki is a cat, obviously, but there's nothing catlike about Saki. She seems very direct. I'd say she's more like a wolf than anything.
That, and she's just damn scary.
kitsunisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 21:36   Link #282
Random Wanderer

She doesn't have animal ears. It's just her hairstyle.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 22:10   Link #283
kitsunisan

I understand that, what I'm saying is she's given the style for a reason.
Reread my post, I can see how you misinterpreted what I said, I should have been a bit clearer. Her hair pops up in two triangles, looking like a pair of animal ears. I always assumed they were supposed to look like cat ears, but it doesn't seem to fit her style. I guess it could have been a design choice with no meaning behind it.
Old 2012-05-30, 22:16   Link #284
Sumeragi
Banned

You're overthinking it.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 22:32   Link #285
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunisan View Post
I understand that, what I'm saying is she's given the style for a reason.
Reread my post, I can see how you misinterpreted what I said, I should have been a bit clearer. Her hair pops up in two triangles, looking like a pair of animal ears. I always assumed they were supposed to look like cat ears, but it doesn't seem to fit her style. I guess it could have been a design choice with no meaning behind it.
They are Hair Intakes, to keep her supercharger well supplied with air. You don't seriously think such a spunky girl as her could get by with a normally aspirated reactor?
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 23:04   Link #286
kitsunisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You're overthinking it.
More than likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
They are Hair Intakes, to keep her supercharger well supplied with air. You don't seriously think such a spunky girl as her could get by with a normally aspirated reactor?
Explains her flight powers. Good enough.
Old 2012-05-31, 05:36   Link #287
gaiar31

Spoiler:

M.O.E > <
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 10:06   Link #288
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Finally catch up to latest episode :3
Io is the boss. I laughed really hard when the fishes hop to his cup willingly XD
The "tsun -> dere" translator from before was awesome too =))

And Tsumiki is too adorable. Both she and Hime must be taking lot of blood supplement pill so they won't die with all those nosebleed XD
Old 2012-05-31, 13:32   Link #289
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for P2P 09 - The Power of Magazine Synergy:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 15:47   Link #290
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ok - finally watched ep 8 last night and found myself laughing out loud quite a bit. This is the funniest show I have seen in a long time. The last series I can remember to make me laugh so consistently would probably be Azumanga Daioh, come to think of it....
Old 2012-05-31, 16:40   Link #291
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Ok - finally watched ep 8 last night and found myself laughing out loud quite a bit. This is the funniest show I have seen in a long time. The last series I can remember to make me laugh so consistently would probably be Azumanga Daioh, come to think of it....
This is my favorite 4-koma series conversion since Azumanga. I wasn't expecting anything to ever scratch the itch in quite the same way. Though I don't know if Acchi Kocchi could hold out for a 24-26 episode run in quite the same way. You need Yukari for that level of insanity.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 16:44   Link #292
Midonin
Last Engage

Is the gap really that long? There's been a lot of pretty good 4-koma based series I can think of in the past few years. GA, Hidamari, WORKING!!, K-ON!, Seitokai Yakuindomo...
Old 2012-05-31, 17:24   Link #293
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Is the gap really that long? There's been a lot of pretty good 4-koma based series I can think of in the past few years. GA, Hidamari, WORKING!!, K-ON!, Seitokai Yakuindomo...
I've enjoyed quite a number of comedies. But there are good comedy series then there's Azumanga Daioh. It was a perfect combination of funny, charming, endearing, hilarious and bat-shit insane. It's not that I didn't enjoy those series (I finished off both seasons of Working!! last week), it's just Azumanga is in a class of its own where it does everything supremely well.

Acchi Kocchi has come the closest to being in the same league, that I've seen. (I can't say I've seen every comedy series in the last decade) Obviously, there's a personal taste aspect to this, but it's hitting all of the comedy buttons and hasn't gotten stale or had a flat episode. The worry, though, is the cast size and progression. Which is why I said I don't think it'd be as good over 24+ episodes. So 12/13 episodes should be really awesome for Acchi Kocchi.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 19:45   Link #294
gaiar31

.........The girls in this series should take White potion or Yggdrasil berry to pumb their HP ...
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 21:39   Link #295
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
I've enjoyed quite a number of comedies. But there are good comedy series then there's Azumanga Daioh.... Azumanga is in a class of its own where it does everything supremely well.

Acchi Kocchi has come the closest to being in the same league, that I've seen. (I can't say I've seen every comedy series in the last decade) Obviously, there's a personal taste aspect to this, but it's hitting all of the comedy buttons and hasn't gotten stale or had a flat episode....
Well said. Hafta agree with this 100%.

And btw Midonin, I certainly enjoyed K-On, but all the others you list really were not all that funny for me. They had their funny moments to be sure, but they were nothing like Acchi Kocchi is or Azumanga Daioh was....
Old 2012-05-31, 21:47   Link #296
Midonin
Last Engage

I was just hoping in the full decade between that series and this one that there was at least one other 4-koma series of note. I know every genre has its standouts, but there's been a huge variety of stuff released, and I'm sure at least one of them had to have hit the right notes. I have nothing against series that are a mainstream success, I've taken part in the discussion for many of them over the years, I just don't want the smaller stuff to be completely forgotten. (And some of the listed series aren't very small themselves.)
Old 2012-05-31, 22:05   Link #297
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I was just hoping in the full decade between that series and this one that there was at least one other 4-koma series of note. I know every genre has its standouts, but there's been a huge variety of stuff released, and I'm sure at least one of them had to have hit the right notes. I have nothing against series that are a mainstream success, I've taken part in the discussion for many of them over the years, I just don't want the smaller stuff to be completely forgotten. (And some of the listed series aren't very small themselves.)
Fair enough and completely understandable.

I'm kinda picky when it comes to humor anyway, and tend to appreciate the silly, childlike, yet innocent nonsense of series like Azumanga and Acchi Kocchi (or even K-On) ... the manga Yotsuba and much of earlier Hayate strike this note for me, for example. There were some parts of Nichijou that did this for me too - esp the interchanges between Hakase, Nano and Sakamoto.

Many, many folks out there have a much more varied taste in humor, of course!

Acchi Kocchi just happens to hit me sense of humor squarely "between the eyes" - for whatever reason ... again describing and/or "defending" one's taste in comedy is always tricky.
Old 2012-05-31, 23:55   Link #298
Mandalore the Silent
Gemini Achernar

Agreed, tastes and preferences vary a lot. I believe Azumanga Daioh is considered to have a "league of its own" is because its humor is, in my opinion, the most appealing in which it manages to blend subtle and slice of life humor with zany and out of this world antics.

So far in the recent set of comedy anime, I have to agree that most of the humor themed animes pale in comparison to the likes of Acchi Kocchi. Most likely because the different tastes of humor, but also because of the demographs or target audience each series appeals to. For example, K-on! obviously plays on moe traits so they tend to appeal to moe fans... or 30+ year old otakus...

GA, Geijutsuka Art Class is a little bit more divided as its humor mainly derives from jokes and puns only the Japanese can get. As such, most of the humor can leave foreign viewers scratching their heads, just try and read the translated manga.

Mitsudomoe and Seitokai Yakuindomo tend to focus on specific demographs or tastes. Mitsudomoe's humor is zany and a tad bit perverted, but given that the characters are elementary school students, it probably makes the viewers feel like a bunch of pedos lolicons. Seitokai Yakuindomo's humor is derived from sex jokes and adult humor, as such the appeal is limited to a narrow audience.

So far, I think the two anime series that can be compared to "Azumanga Daioh level" would be Working!! and Acchi Kocchi, mainly because they both mix light and zany humor in a way that's coherent and appealing to a broad fanbase.
Mandalore the Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 10:30   Link #299
Kreceir

Io with no glasses in that suit sure fits well together.
I wonder how many girls Io made nosebleed from episode 1 trough 9...
Old 2012-06-01, 12:11   Link #300
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Mention of other 4koma shows got me thinking. No-one mentioned Ichigo Mashimaro. That, this, and Seitokai no Ichizon (was that 4-koma?) are the ones that hit my particular funny bone. I found Mitsudomoe fairly disgusting, and not funny at all (violence, selfishness, and bodily fluids). Azumanga Daioh I found rather boring, for the few episodes I was interested enough to watch. I liked most of the first season of Working, but not enough to watch the second season. I enjoyed Seitokai Yakuindomo. And I'm one of the legions who wonders when Yotsubato is going to get an anime.

Different strokes for different folks. Humour is very individual. Ichigo Mashimaro, with its flawed but forgiven characters and humane absurdity, remains my favorite comedy anime ever.

Acchi Kocchi has a great moe character -- or two, if you include Io -- and the slapstick often gets me laughing out loud.

By the way, has it been mentioned yet in this thread that "Nekoge" 猫毛 means "cat fur"? (Or "cat hair".) They live in "Cat's Fur Shores" and go to "Cat's Fur High School."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-06-01 at 12:22.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, manga time kirara, seinen, slice of life