AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-25, 23:52   Link #5681
Seitsuki
Onee!

Pretty sure it's more the mindset: "if I have alot of kids, they'll be able to support me (by working) later on"
or "if I have a lot of kids it'll increase the chance of some surviving and supporting me later on"
or yeah maybe just they didn't plan on it.. -_-
Old 2010-01-25, 23:53   Link #5682
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Shrine's town makes 1B yen, thanks to Lucky Star
Quote:
Washimiya (Jan 26): The town of Washimiya estimates that the Lucky Star anime has brought over one billion yen (US$11 million) into the local economy after the town's main shrine was featured in the anime in 2007.

While the full economic impact of Lucky Star cannot be determined for certain, sales of related goods alone have been pegged at 70 million yen. Visitors during the traditional three-day New Year's holidays increased from 90,000 in 2007 to 450,000 this year. At over 500 hits a day, the town's commerce and industry associations says it has the most popular website of any such association in the country.

Lucky Star fans began making "holy pilgrimages" to the town's main shrine after the anime featured Kagami and Tsukasa Hiiragi — twin sister characters who supposedly work at the shrine as miko (shrine maidens).

Manga creator Kagami Yoshimizu had lived just one city to the east of Washimiya when he began drawing the original Lucky Star manga. The town is named Washimiya, but the shrine is called Washinomiya.

- ANIME NEWS NETWORK
Old 2010-01-26, 00:46   Link #5683
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...e175315S05.DTL

Pernell Roberts, the ruggedly handsome actor who shocked Hollywood by leaving TV's "Bonanza" at the height of its popularity, then found fame again years later on "Trapper John, M.D.," has died. He was 81.
and the last Cartright rides off into the sunset.
Old 2010-01-26, 00:47   Link #5684
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
Pretty sure it's more the mindset: "if I have alot of kids, they'll be able to support me (by working) later on"
or "if I have a lot of kids it'll increase the chance of some surviving and supporting me later on"
or yeah maybe just they didn't plan on it.. -_-
you forgot if i got have more kids

1. i will get more attentions (octomom)
2. i will get more welfare.
Old 2010-01-26, 01:10   Link #5685
Tom Bombadil

One other important factor for more kids is the lack of education, hence the shortsightedness.

Consider the following black humor that was popular back a while ago in China. A visitor held a conversation with a kid in a poor and remote village.

"what are you doing?"
"Shepherding."
"Why?"
"To make money."
"What do you do with the money?"
"Get married."
"What do you do after getting married?"
"Raise a few kids. "
"What will the kids do when they grow up?"
"Shepherd."

The moral from the story was that kid should be in school to break this vicious circle. Unfortunately the Chinese government seems to care much less about these important things nowadays.
Old 2010-01-26, 01:25   Link #5686
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
One other important factor for more kids is the lack of education, hence the shortsightedness.
Among the possible reasons, there are also (1) religion and (2) the need to have some way to take care of the elderly. Having children means that there is a way to take care of the parents when they become old. Having more children means they don't have to sacrifice as much as they would if the number was just 1 or 2. If you remove the whole social security/pension/retirement benefits, having children and grandchildren becomes a need than a luxury.

Education... Not sure of it as a cause, to be honest. Certainly in China, historically, there are major tenets of thought that favor education, but they also combine that with a belief in family. The trend of a highly educated population delaying marriage and the start of a nuclear family is tied more closely, IMHO, to the need of more time to settle down in a career.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-01-26, 02:02   Link #5687
FateAnomaly

I personally think its because the only entertainment that they can afford is screwing each other.
Old 2010-01-26, 05:13   Link #5688
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The Supreme Court of The United States apparently tore apart the McCain-Feingold act which was supposed to limit the amount that any single person or concern could contribute to a political candidate.

While the decision apparently doesn't remove the restrictions on campaign contributions it recognizes the right of corporations to purchase advertisements on their own behalf in order to express support for or to attack political candidates any way they see fit, which more or less circumvents the McCain-Feingold act. Are we getting close to the cyberpunk imagined era of corporate domination over politics and/or does this mean that corporations are one step closer to being able to hand pick candidates for office who are variable to their interests via the use of near limitless funds for influential advertisement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Shrine's town makes 1B yen, thanks to Lucky StarWashimiya (Jan 26): The town of Washimiya estimates that the Lucky Star anime has brought over one billion yen (US$11 million) into the local economy after the town's main shrine was featured in the anime in 2007.

While the full economic impact of Lucky Star cannot be determined for certain, sales of related goods alone have been pegged at 70 million yen. Visitors during the traditional three-day New Year's holidays increased from 90,000 in 2007 to 450,000 this year. At over 500 hits a day, the town's commerce and industry associations says it has the most popular website of any such association in the country.

Lucky Star fans began making "holy pilgrimages" to the town's main shrine after the anime featured Kagami and Tsukasa Hiiragi — twin sister characters who supposedly work at the shrine as miko (shrine maidens).

Manga creator Kagami Yoshimizu had lived just one city to the east of Washimiya when he began drawing the original Lucky Star manga. The town is named Washimiya, but the shrine is called Washinomiya.

- ANIME NEWS NETWORK
If they really want to start raking in the dough they ought to try and build some sort of statue or monument to the series since if the 1/1 statue of the RX-78-2 Gundam is any indication that is where the real money is. I remember reading another article about Shizuoka City that says that city officials expect the statue to bring over 40 Billion yen into the city in tourism revenue. They also think it can attract almost a million visitors over the course of the next year or so that it will be up there.
Old 2010-01-26, 05:17   Link #5689
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The Supreme Court of The United States apparently tore apart the McCain-Feingold act which was supposed to limit the amount that any single person or concern could contribute to a political candidate.

While the decision apparently doesn't remove the restrictions on campaign contributions it recognizes the right of corporations to purchase advertisements on their own behalf in order to express support for or to attack political candidates any way they see fit, which more or less circumvents the McCain-Feingold act. Are we getting close to the cyberpunk imagined era of corporate domination over politics and/or does this mean that corporations are one step closer to being able to hand pick candidates for office who are variable to their interests via the use of near limitless funds for influential advertisement?
It simply means the average Americans will be forced to make decision out of their own interest rather than what the people in the magical box with gazillion of color pixel are stating. In the same breath I believe I need to mention that president Bush was elected... TWICE. The future is indeed looking bleak.
Old 2010-01-26, 05:21   Link #5690
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's some dispute about the "elected" part but meh...

Yes, we are indeed screwed in the US.... welcome to Neocron, the fascist future of undying immortal artificial entity overlords (otherwise known as corporations).
Old 2010-01-26, 05:28   Link #5691
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Yes, we are indeed screwed in the US.... welcome to Neocron, the fascist future of undying immortal artificial entity overlords (otherwise known as corporations).
I was thinking more along the lines of Shadowrun. Hell Blackwater USA is already almost like an organized group of Shadowrunners in terms of what they do. We've also got the whole implant thing, the matrix (world wide web), and widespread use of credit sticks (i.e debit cards) for monetary transactions down that Shadowrun predicted all the way back in 1989 so if magic ends up turning out to be real in 2011 like it does in the Shadowrun universe I think things will start to get interesting.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-01-26 at 05:41.
Old 2010-01-26, 06:01   Link #5692
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Well, if the world did become an apocalyptic wasteland, then I wouldn't have to hear the numerous complaints about people and hook turning, among other things like Climate Change and all that other nonsense that appears every time I switch on my television.

I find it hard to believe we'll cause something like that to happen though. Climate Change will still happen, crap will still flood the air waves, and people will still fail to negotiate a right turn from the left hand lane.

(Yes, I'm cynical, and somewhat ignorant)

Last edited by Haruka_Kitten; 2010-01-26 at 06:04. Reason: Redundancy punctuation
Old 2010-01-26, 06:12   Link #5693
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'd prefer a Mad Max meets Fallout type of setting but that's just me.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2010-01-26 at 08:43.
Old 2010-01-26, 08:21   Link #5694
Hope Estheim
A Hope of Light beckons..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You know, that reminds me of an anectode I heard 3years ago, from one of my cosplay shop owner's (I was a sleeping investor in cosplay shops then.) suppliers. Square Enix was still building FFXIII then, but someone inside heard that one of the designers got a call from a politican in a remote area in Japan.

He wanted FFXIII to be based on his consituency, which is in Kyushu, if I'm not wrong. The offer was flatly refused by SqEx, for reasons unknown. Maybe they didn't want to see profits leak.

But FF VS XIII is based on Shibuya...
Old 2010-01-26, 11:57   Link #5695
karthak
Baruk Khazad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8480161.stm

A French parliamentary committee has recommended a partial ban on women wearing Islamic face veils.

The committee's near 200-page report has proposed a ban in hospitals, schools, government offices and on public transport.

Goddamn ironic. Some countries are condemned because they force women to wear certain clothes, and now one of the countries doing the condemning wants to prohibit women from wearing certain clothes.
Boils down to same thing in my opinion, regulating what you are allowed to wear. A democracy shouldn't even contemplate passing laws like these, and I say this as a near-militant atheist who doesn't give a turd about Islam, Christianity or any other religion. If those women want to wear veils that completely cover their faces, LET THEM. Not letting them wear them is just as vile as forcing them to wear them.
Old 2010-01-26, 12:17   Link #5696
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It simply means the average Americans will be forced to make decision out of their own interest rather than what the people in the magical box with gazillion of color pixel are stating. In the same breath I believe I need to mention that president Bush was elected... TWICE. The future is indeed looking bleak.
And Obama was elected in 2008. What's your point?
Old 2010-01-26, 12:23   Link #5697
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

i thought Detroit in Robocop ran pretty well, at least it doesn't seem to be any worst then then currently as it is run by elected officials.

Quote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7003032.ece

China could end a centuries-old custom and remove dogs and cats from the menu in the nation’s first draft law against animal abuse.
Anyone caught eating them would face a fine of as much as 5,000 yuan (£450) and up to 15 days in jail if the law is passed.
The draft is expected to be sent to the parliament, the National People’s Congress, in April, state media said.
Dog is an age-old delicacy. Its meat is believed to have warming properties making it particularly favoured as a winter dish. Consumption of dog meat – known euphemistically as “fragrant meat” – is most widespread in northeastern China where temperatures plunge in the winter months. But restaurants with signs out offering “fragrant meat’ can be seen in almost every city in China.

What is the difference between eating cats and dogs vs eating pigs and cow? isn't it hypocritical of the animal rights activist to pat themselves on the back about getting dogs and cats off menu while eating a burger?
Old 2010-01-26, 13:55   Link #5698
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
What is the difference between eating cats and dogs vs eating pigs and cow? isn't it hypocritical of the animal rights activist to pat themselves on the back about getting dogs and cats off menu while eating a burger?
I find this pretty bizarre myself... meat is meat. If its raised for eating, its meat. The "pet" thing is a cultural artifact. I mean... they're all mammals and therefore close enough on the "Hey, I'm here" sentience list to feel uncomfortable about.
Old 2010-01-26, 15:13   Link #5699
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
I find this pretty bizarre myself... meat is meat. If its raised for eating, its meat. The "pet" thing is a cultural artifact. I mean... they're all mammals and therefore close enough on the "Hey, I'm here" sentience list to feel uncomfortable about.
I guarantee if these people were starving their little pointless argument would go right out the window while they licking their chops. If you can kill it then you can eat it. Just because humanity has labeled these animals pets does not change the fact that they are still animals.
Old 2010-01-26, 15:36   Link #5700
Armored Knight

Eating birds of prey, cats, dogs and those dirty pigs is disgusting and unhealthy.

Cow, sheep, deer, gazelle, camels and goat meat is something good to eat. Sheep meet is my favourite and gazelle is the best but it is too expensive.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international