AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 18:28   Link #721
yoropa
Director

You can easily get much cheaper flights than that. I can go one week round trip with hotel for entire week in Tokyo for $900. I'd suggest contacting the Japanese embassy about offers since they usually can get you in for cheap if they see you're dedicated. If you live in or near DC, even better.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 18:33   Link #722
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
You can easily get much cheaper flights than that. I can go one week round trip with hotel for entire week in Tokyo for $900. I'd suggest contacting the Japanese embassy about offers since they usually can get you in for cheap if they see you're dedicated. If you live in or near DC, even better.
Hmmmm... did not know about that. I am intrigued by what you say. I will have to take a look into this. Thanks!
Old 2010-03-07, 19:19   Link #723
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Screw you Americans and your cheap travel fees. Cheapest I could find was 2000 USD through Europe (well, there was a 1700 USD one that went through the US, but there's the 130 USD visa fee and the stupid paperwork that takes a hell of a long time to do and stuff--Europe doesn't require stuff like that).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 19:25   Link #724
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Screw you Americans and your cheap travel fees. Cheapest I could find was 2000 USD through Europe (well, there was a 1700 USD one that went through the US, but there's the 130 USD visa fee and the stupid paperwork that takes a hell of a long time to do and stuff--Europe doesn't require stuff like that).
The US allows certain nationals to travel through the US without a visa for free if it's short. Sadly, Argentina isn't one of them. However, the US may not force a visa on you if all you're doing is using the US airport as a hub to travel to Japan. I'd contact the US embassy in your country and ask to see if they'll allow you to do that.
Old 2010-03-07, 19:38   Link #725
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Yes, and in addition to what yoropa suggested, try a travel agency that specializes in cheap travel as well. Keep checking the travel-related sites - including those of airlines themselves directly - in case of a last-minute fare drop also. I recently priced a round-trip single-leg flight from Tokyo to NYC with just a couple of days' advance notice for under US$1000. With more time, that could be dropped lower.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 20:09   Link #726
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I am definitely intrigued by the claims of cheap airfare to Japan. I've seen deals to be had for as little as $900 or so, but I've mostly been looking at costs nearing $1400 even if planned well in advance, and over $2000 if not purchases several months before the trip. I can normally find pretty good rates when going overseas, but it seems that in terms of going to Japan, I'm missing some crucial information.

If any one has particular luck with airfare, I'd ask you to please post the details of how you saved on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Good gravy, it's expensive to fly across the Argentine border! I was about to make a teasing comment on how cheap South Americans have intra-continental travel, but crossing the border of Argentina adds least $1,000 on any trip I estimate (over $2,000 if on a tight schedule), right off the bad. A flight of similar distance without crossing the border, whether in or out of Argentina, is a tenth of that--even if it's the next day! Do you have any clue where that insanity comes from?

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 20:31   Link #727
yoropa
Director

It depends on which airport you are closest to. I happen to have access to large international airports so I get lower flights. Assuming I leave to Japan tomorrow and stay for two weeks, ignoring my good offer and ignoring hotel, I can get a round trip for $908. That's without abusing my good deal offers. If I wanted to, I can cash in all my frequent flier miles (and I have an unprecedented amount) and go for free. I could probably also get a hotel for free, if I really wanted to go to Japan.

If you're American, try Delta to get a flight. Don't go JAL for your flight (especially after their bankruptcy...) That's how I got the $908 deal.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:13   Link #728
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I found a deal last year including RT air and 7 nights at a very nice and convenient hotel (Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku) for $1100 - and that was from the West Coast. A lot depends on when you go - that was March and off-season is always going to be cheaper. I've actually found Expedia to be extremely competitive and a good place to shop for package deals, as you can book air/hotel trips with only part of the duration at the hotel (good for excursions beyond Tokyo). That's what I did for my trip this May and again, found very good deals. I'm staying at the B Ikebukuro, for example, for $50 a night inclusive of taxes. That's a very decent hotel on the Yamanote line, and I found that through Expedia.

Speaking of which... If we have any Tokyoites browsing, I'd love some pointers for Ikebukuro as I'm also staying there at the start of the trip. I understand it's a ramen mecca, and I have a near-religious devotion to ramen. I'm also intrigued by the various cat cafes in Ike - that's a really cool idea and I didn't manage to get to one last year. Nekobukuro sounds a bit commercial, but apparently there are others in the neighborhood. The problem with Ikebukuro is that, while convenient, it's mostly for the locals and thus doesn't show up much in the travel literature out there so you have to dig a little deeper for the good finds.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 06:24   Link #729
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Speaking of which... If we have any Tokyoites browsing, I'd love some pointers for Ikebukuro as I'm also staying there at the start of the trip. I understand it's a ramen mecca, and I have a near-religious devotion to ramen. I'm also intrigued by the various cat cafes in Ike - that's a really cool idea and I didn't manage to get to one last year. Nekobukuro sounds a bit commercial, but apparently there are others in the neighborhood. The problem with Ikebukuro is that, while convenient, it's mostly for the locals and thus doesn't show up much in the travel literature out there so you have to dig a little deeper for the good finds.
ANIMATE!

Quote:
Animate is an anime specialty chain with over seventy stores nationwide. Animate Ikebukuro is the chain's main store. All eight floors are packed with anime related products. Saying that you will find anything related to anime here, from books, character goods, to CDs, DVDs and software, is not an exaggeration. Check out the event hall on the 9th floor where anime related events regularly take place.
(and if you're into yaoi then)
Otome-dori!
(Well in all honesty, the entire street is filled with anime/manga related shops, but seems to be the central hub for yaoi goods too)

But Ikebukuro has one of the most comprehensive Animate stores in Tokyo (if not the most). It's on the other end of Otome Street, so the entire road is full of doujinshi shops, manga shops, goods and another related anime and manga stuff.
And of course there's the infamous Sunshine City. Nice to browse around, may wanna check out a restaurant there too.
Quote:
Sunshine City (サンシャインシティ?) is a building complex located in East Ikebukuro, Toshima, Tokyo. It is Tokyo's oldest city within the city and has the 240 meter tall Sunshine 60 skyscraper at its center.[1] It comprises four buildings and sits on land that was once occupied by Sugamo Prison.[2]

The complex, which was opened in 1978, contains the Sunshine 60 building with an observatory (observation deck) located at the top, the Ancient Orient Museum, an aquarium, and a planetarium. It also features a Prince Hotel, Namco Namja Town, a convention centre, theatre, and a shopping mall.

Since it was opened, other observation decks have opened in Tokyo, such as at Roppongi and the Tokyo Government offi
Aside from the anime stuffs and Sunshine City, haven't really paid much attention to the place. I know there’s a butler cafe (cause maid cafes suck for girls) - which a friend said she'll take me sometime so I can drool over Japanese guys in suits~~

Ikebukuro at a glance

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:40   Link #730
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks. I knew there was an Animate there, and I hit the one in Akiba last time and loved it - but I didn't know the one in Ike was so good. I'll check it out for sure. I'm not a yaoi fan, but I'd heard stories of Otome-dori and curiosity will win out, I'm sure!
Old 2010-03-08, 11:05   Link #731
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Thanks Mystique this is actually exactly what i need even so I'm not the OP.

Furthermore me and my friends will be going to Akiba and Shibuya as well. Any advice or recommended places and spots?
Old 2010-03-08, 14:05   Link #732
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Good gravy, it's expensive to fly across the Argentine border! I was about to make a teasing comment on how cheap South Americans have intra-continental travel, but crossing the border of Argentina adds least $1,000 on any trip I estimate (over $2,000 if on a tight schedule), right off the bad. A flight of similar distance without crossing the border, whether in or out of Argentina, is a tenth of that--even if it's the next day! Do you have any clue where that insanity comes from?
I have honestly no idea, it's the first time I've heard about that. I know they started charging a "reciprocity fee" for Americans a few months ago (about damn time, why would we have to pay to step on your country and not the other way around?).

Btw, I'm raging at the moment at the prospect of having to wait three more weeks for my trip (I depart on April 1st, I hope the airline doesn't go :aprilsfools: on me or I'm gonna kill someone), and with the lack of something to do at work I'm feeling completely anemic--which is understandable since the latter half of last year was a really rough one at work and these are gonna be my first real holidays in like five years. But fuck me, these weeks are going to be unbearable.

Seems like I'll have around 2000 USD plus the JR pass ticket, which is 500 USD more than I expected, so yay me.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 17:45   Link #733
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Thanks. I knew there was an Animate there, and I hit the one in Akiba last time and loved it - but I didn't know the one in Ike was so good. I'll check it out for sure. I'm not a yaoi fan, but I'd heard stories of Otome-dori and curiosity will win out, I'm sure!
BTW, I'm not sure when you were there, but the Animate in Akihabara changed sometimes... a couple of years ago, I think. It got moved to its new building but still near its old location. With 7-8 floors of much better labeled/categorized goods, it's definitely better than the old store in the area.

For travel to Japan from the U.S., Delta is pretty convenient, esp. now that NW is gone. For people traveling, you should also check to see if there are flights to other airports reasonably close to Tokyo (or your final destination). While you probably don't want to fly into Osaka if you are looking to sightsee in Tokyo, if the saving is really good, a quick trip on the Shinkansen, esp. if you have a valid JR pass, could be doable.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 20:56   Link #734
yoropa
Director

My Japanese sensei literally said this today:

"Oh, you know of otaku? Then you must go to otaku city Akihabara. All otaku must go there. It is otaku city. Akihabara is. Yes?"

aka, my Japanese sensei told me to go to his country to chill with his nation's women dressed as maid girls....

VICTORY!!
Old 2010-03-08, 21:40   Link #735
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
BTW, I'm not sure when you were there, but the Animate in Akihabara changed sometimes... a couple of years ago, I think. It got moved to its new building but still near its old location. With 7-8 floors of much better labeled/categorized goods, it's definitely better than the old store in the area.

For travel to Japan from the U.S., Delta is pretty convenient, esp. now that NW is gone. For people traveling, you should also check to see if there are flights to other airports reasonably close to Tokyo (or your final destination). While you probably don't want to fly into Osaka if you are looking to sightsee in Tokyo, if the saving is really good, a quick trip on the Shinkansen, esp. if you have a valid JR pass, could be doable.
I was there last March and I assume that was after the change - Animate was pretty much right next to Toranoana and both had 7-8 floors, including the "ladies only" doujin floor.

I flew JAL last year, and this year I'll be flying ANA - and I found them to be as cheap as any other direct flight from SFO. Cost savings is great and all, but I'll say this much - the level of comfort on service (even in coach) is way, way better on either Japanese carrier than any of the American one. And with the flight already being 11 hours, I'm done with connecting fights - I'll pay the extra $75 it cost me for a nonstop any day of the week.
Old 2010-03-09, 04:59   Link #736
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

http://kotaku.com/5484581/japan-its-not-funny-anymore

Very interesting article about someone who quite frankly found disdain for Japan after living there for awhile.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 07:23   Link #737
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Interesting article.

I heard and figured the japanese in general were similiar in that fashion. Though what bothers me the most is the "You aren't Japanese" comment, which would happen quite abit. in my opinion. I'm not planning on moving to Tokyo, just somewhere similiar with open air and nice scenery. Some screenshots from Okinawa have made me romance over it. Though I will probably try Osaka or a prefecture. I personally would like to see Hokkaido.

My only personal bias is the meat... I don't mind bacon or ham, or even fish. But what gets me is the octopus.... Never had crab, so I'll keep my mind open, yes?

The stores/Clubs/somewhat stress relieving activities seem rather troublesome. But since i'm a westerner, I wouldn't know of work perfection. Work perfection being stressed, of course.

I'll make it a habit to look at Tim Roger's columns, since they seem more or less intelligent with realistic points. I can relate with the 'Game of life' paragraph(s).

Though I usually greet people regardless, which may be abit of a headstart in the workplace/existence within Japan, I'd probably have problems adapting, should I somehow miraculously do my dreamplace. Tokyo however, is a no. Okinawa or Hokkaido, plz. :3
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 08:55   Link #738
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
http://kotaku.com/5484581/japan-its-not-funny-anymore

Very interesting article about someone who quite frankly found disdain for Japan after living there for awhile.
It's a long ass article, I skimmed 70% of it xD
(Will read later)
I did drop this message to the writer though...
Quote:
Yep, I'd say you've been there too long enough. There are a lot of things in your article where you have literally translated them and approached them as a Westerner.
Which to do that in a country and culture like Japan, would drive any of us to suicide
- So either you 'shouganai' it *winks* or move out and take a breather in another country.

I know after 3 years or so, this country begins to grate on Westerners, methinks it better to live in an environment where you feel more at ease, or don't mind fighting the 'gaijin' fight over here until generations begin to see the light.
I often hear from a lot of Westerners,
"Japan is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't/couldn't live there."

With due reason too.
I do not convince nor tempt people to come live over here at all, in all honesty.
It's not easy and it can be an ongoing battle when trying to mix water and oil together.
(And even when those wanting to learn Japanese on a whim, I have a scary perfect article for them to read just to see if they'll change their minds.)

A good piece of advice from someone else is what I'll end with here...
Quote:
If life has taught me (academically, anyhow) anything, it's work the system. Learn the rules and work with them, bend them only when necessary, and you'll be a much happier person. Accept that the entire world is full of crap. Things aren't going to go your way. Adapt.
As for more comments on his rant (cause it is just that), I'll post in the Japanese Culture thread.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 18:51   Link #739
yoropa
Director

My big problem with Japan:
* I will not eat meat and most seafoods.
* I will not drink alcohol.
* I am of a foreign race.
* I am poor.
From a cultural standpoint, this doesn't work out.

For more personal issues (that can be solved with internet):
* Most modern anime makes me vomit.
* Japanese comedy is bland.
* Japanese films really really suck.

Most importantly is that I will never drink. Ever. EVER. I hate the stuff. Beer looks like foaming urine from the bladder of a dehydrated and unhealthy man.
Old 2010-03-09, 21:04   Link #740
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

I have an uncanny ability with accents; when I took my final several years ago, the professor who flew in to administer the test asked me when it was all over asked if I had spent any appreciable time in Japan... I told him I had never been but...

To this, he replied "you speak like someone who has lived in Kobe."

All I could tell him was that that was where my teacher's home city.

Really funny when a guy with a Southern drawl can drop it in a second and "go native".

So foreigner, yeah can't do anything about that.
Status being attained.
Money... soon... hopefully.
Alcohol... in moderation.
Food... I'm not picky; I'll tell you if it was good or not and if it wasn't... I still probably ate it all. And being a Southerner, I loves me some seafood and meat.

Tags
japan, travel