AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 17 16.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 37.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 22.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 16.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-24, 23:32   Link #41
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Too much fanservice, not enough story. There were episodes that never moved the story at all, and what was story didn't really turn out that interesting either (mainly revolving around Kaigi). The very last part was fine, but now, the animation decided to skip their job and the usual Shaft picture book game began (now if they could only make animation like they did with Kid Icarus more often...).

But it wasn't a bad anime, at least and somewhat interesting, so gave it the score I did.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 08:14   Link #42
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Wow did you miss the TWO times I had to bold something in my previous reply?
Are you saying you never reconsider an opinion even if new facts are presented?
Quote:
Also there's a difference between fanservice layered upon character progression and 'LETS PUT THE CAMERA'S POINT OF VIEW ON THE PAVEMENT AND HAVE HIS MIDDLE SCHOOL GRADE SISTER SQUAT DOWN TWICE IN FRONT OF IT'. The latter happened far, far more often.
These are two unrelated things. Character progression is not a graphical process in the first place, and also it happens at its own rhythm. Character progression does happen in Nise, as happens the development of themes. The rest is just stuff that fills the gaps anyway.
Quote:
I'm hardpressed to find the actual 'hidden meaning' behind that.
If you talk about Karen squatting, then there was no meaning behind it. The gag was in the characters realizing riding someone on your shoulders works only if it's the boy carrying the girl and not vice versa. The related gags were Karen cutting her own ponytail and asking Araragi to do the same to his willy. Well, for a while that also made Araragi think that was the reason why Kagenui and Ononoki called him a demon; later he concluded they called him a demon just because he is partly vampire, so that meant what he did to his sister and Hachikuji was acceptable. Oh, and there was also Hanekawa discovering he was riding his sister while going to his junior and having fantasies on her.

Karen squatting in itself was nothing special. Well, I would say it's a bit like the dirt on Star War's spaceships, it makes things look more realistic. For example, if there are highschoolers with miniskirts floating in a zero-g enviroment, I have to accept I am suspending my disbelief if there is no panty flashing. Some convenient shot once in a while is fine. And it certainly fits with the rest.
Quote:
The little girl pandering is still creepy shit regardless of what it was meant to add to the story.
It's because otaku culture is a creepy culture Nise is just making fun of it. There is just too much meta content to take it all seriously.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 09:16   Link #43
silvercover
Romance Expert

big question here for those other people: how many times have we seen a panty shot?
if the show's making needless fanservice, how come we dont get one for every girl? like in every other episode?
when we do see some fanservice, dont most of them have a point rather then being totally useless in the entire scheme of the show?
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 09:48   Link #44
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I'm not going to argue with either of you at this point.

The little girl pandering / questionable pov shots for fan service are there and it's creepy period. I can't see past that.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 13:07   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

After thinking about it and reading other posts, I ended up giving the series a "7" (good). Mostly that was driven by my feelings after Bake- versus my feelings after Nise-.

Though I'll question the labeling of characters here as "little girls" -- young women, underage, lolita, but they aren't prepubescent children. It kind of grates when people try to conflate, say, 7yr with 14yr with 18yr or even 20yr people. That said, I can certainly see how some of the Shinobu directing can be considered pandering (rather than satire).
Old 2012-03-25, 15:07   Link #46
Master Chibi

Shinobu, both his sisters, Snail girl, and snake chick = little girls.

None of the gals are young women either lol

Old 2012-03-25, 15:13   Link #47
Shadow5YA

Quote:

There's Kagenui, though I'll give you that the rest of them techically aren't adults, including Hitagi and Tsubasa.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 16:00   Link #48
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:

Shinobu and Mayoi are both older than Koyomi. That's the excuse he uses.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 18:42   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Isn't "snake chick" as you call her about 14 and clearly a teenager - and the sisters the same age? Aren't they first year high schoolers?

Shinobu and Mayoi are weird supernatural cases but the case remains that people have a nasty tendency to "think of the children" rather than be accurate. When I have parents calling 16-19yr olds "kids" - there's something very wrong with their vocabulary.

I'm not saying Aragagi's behavior was a-ok (clearly he took damage from a lot of this), but then there's a lot of literature & film out there on similar topics, classics even. He's a half-vampire with lots of issues and the people around him have a lot of issues - hence the story.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-03-25 at 19:25.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:16   Link #50
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

Think of all the children who look similar to two-dimensional character designs by Watanabe Akio who are going to the get sexualized by me as a result of watching an animated bathtub scene!

Yeah.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 02:43   Link #51
Master Chibi

Snake chick is still a little girl.

You're looking at 'little girl' like something dressed up in Sunday best with pigtails on getting ready for church.

If they're in middle school / barely in high school they're still little girls to me, what this series was doing was creepy with every last one of them.

Old 2012-03-26, 03:23   Link #52
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Snake chick is still a little girl.

You're looking at 'little girl' like something dressed up in Sunday best with pigtails on getting ready for church.

If they're in middle school / barely in high school they're still little girls to me, what this series was doing was creepy with every last one of them.
She's a girl in love. She put on a bold front in order to attract the guy she loves. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Koyomi molesting his sisters might be a bit over the top but it's all in good fun. A little incest here and there doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:44   Link #53
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Just want to ask that we not prolong this little tangent further, as I think the points of view are clear, and are not going to further clarified by continued back-and-forth.
Old 2012-03-26, 11:12   Link #54
Master Chibi

Will do chief!

Old 2012-03-26, 11:34   Link #55
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Here is a nice review of both series that I think both the lovers and the haters will agree on.

Old 2012-03-26, 12:09   Link #56
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
When haters give 7s and 8s, you can tell that something is worth watching

... but still the terminology suffers, when will the younger fans realize that all ecchi is not fanservice, as well as that all underaged girls are not lolis (and in both case vice versa)
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:54   Link #57
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Apparently the author didn't want this published in the first place let alone animated. I wasn't taking it as seriously as Bake. So with those expectations I'm giving it a nine. Mostly because I'm a Karen fan.
Old 2012-04-02, 12:06   Link #58
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
[mod edit: removed comment that related to reputation-based discussion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki-ism View Post
Apparently the author didn't want this published in the first place let alone animated. I wasn't taking it as seriously as Bake. So with those expectations I'm giving it a nine. Mostly because I'm a Karen fan.
How is this exactly apparent

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-04-03 at 20:27.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 12:24   Link #59
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
How is this exactly apparent
Well it's more of a rumor, not sure if it's actually true though.
Old 2012-04-05, 12:08   Link #60
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Far too much fanservice, and wtf fanservice at that. I mean, come on, think about the fans who DONT like fucking incest and lolis. That shit made me cringe.

The story was all over the place, especially the ending with these two ghost hunters popping up and the typical "ima beat you up Araragi, lol we made up you win" end.
I thought the Fire Sisters story was pretty mundane, especially with that lame-ass villain.

Fucking haircuts. Why?!

Needed more Hitagi, a better storyline, and FAR LESS fanservice.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote