Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-10-03, 16:18   Link #181
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
@isamu99:

I was quite sceptical of One Piece at first, especially since the artwork looked kind of laymanish at first. It grew on me over time however, the art style improved, and there was one moment in particular, where I realized that this is not just some series, but one of the greatest pieces of entertaining fiction. And moments like these kept coming. At this point, I can safely say that the One Piece manga is the best combination of humor, action, moral, story and adventure that I have ever read, by far. Obviously I don't want to spoil anything, but what I will promise, is that if you keep going, you will encounter such moments as well, and you will curse yourself for ever doubting the series.

You should, however, switch to the manga from a certain point onward, if you plan to start with the anime. Right now, the pace is killing it, because some guys just can't wait to stuff their bank accounts.
Old 2013-10-19, 11:44   Link #182
kitten320

I finally got around to start the series and am on episode 28, Sanji's arc. I honestly don't see why it is called the best shounen.

While series are not bad, they are nothing special either.

For one characters keep shouting all the time what gets a bit annoying.
Luffy could have easily finished his fight with boss captain in Sanji arc after first punch. Instead like every shounen hero he waits until the dude wakes up, gets stronger and then Luffy over comes him with power of will.

Of course there is problem with ridiculous designs.

Only Mihawk and Zoro seem decent, well actually most of main crew. Others look like retards for most part =/
The guy with shields looks lame.

I just don't know, I don't see how this is the best shounen ever.

While Bleach sucks, it was far more impressive at the start.
Old 2013-10-19, 12:12   Link #183
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I finally got around to start the series and am on episode 28, Sanji's arc. I honestly don't see why it is called the best shounen.

While series are not bad, they are nothing special either.

For one characters keep shouting all the time what gets a bit annoying.
Luffy could have easily finished his fight with boss captain in Sanji arc after first punch. Instead like every shounen hero he waits until the dude wakes up, gets stronger and then Luffy over comes him with power of will.

Of course there is problem with ridiculous designs.

Only Mihawk and Zoro seem decent, well actually most of main crew. Others look like retards for most part =/
The guy with shields looks lame.

I just don't know, I don't see how this is the best shounen ever.

While Bleach sucks, it was far more impressive at the start.
As others said, One Piece gets better and better as it progresess. Next up is the Arlong arc and that's what made many people change their opinion. But yeah, the art is just meh, now, or four hundred episodes from now
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 13:24   Link #184
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Continue watching. There is a reason why One Piece is by far the best selling manga series in Japan (of all time).
Old 2013-10-26, 09:56   Link #185
kitten320

Well I heard that series get better in like 50 - 100 episodes, do I really have to suffer for that long?

At least Hitman only took 20 episodes to get to good stuff. Though it did fail afterwards.

Well I'm finally done with Sanji's arc, hopefully next one is better.
Old 2013-10-27, 08:47   Link #186
mrShady

Quote:
Well I heard that series get better in like 50 - 100 episodes, do I really have to suffer for that long?

At least Hitman only took 20 episodes to get to good stuff. Though it did fail afterwards.

Personally I liked the Arlong arc/Nami arc it has some pretty powerful moments and the boss fight is a great fight. So yeah I think you will enjoy it. Also after this the real story starts and things will focus more on their adventure as a crew.
The previous arcs are there to lay down the foundation and though somewhat slow it's the reason the story is still going strong after all these years (good stories need a solid background).

PS: I would give Hitman a 6.5 and OP a 9.

Spoiler for My review-ish:
mrShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 10:35   Link #187
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrShady View Post
-While the story hardly has any plot holes none of it are really story breaking however you probably will frown at the introduction of a certain way to fight
Spoiler for smallish spoiler:
since it was introduced rather clumsily and inconsistently.
Spoiler:
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 17:48   Link #188
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Off-topic story discussion:
Old 2013-10-29, 21:41   Link #189
Hidfe

Quote:

Just stop watching. I do not know why people watch so many Episodes when they do not enjoy something. If you still don’t like the characters and the humor than One Piece is not for you. I understand people who say to keep watching because many of those people advertise One Piece as the best thing ever and while One Piece is very entertaining from the beginning it is certainly not the best thing ever from beginning. A lot of One Piece’s charm comes from the creativity, world building and character interaction and those things take time.
One Pieces humor doesn’t change and the wackiness stays the same or better said it becomes even wackier so if you really do not enjoy it then just stop. If I try to advertise One Piece to someone I usually say to watch the One Piece Special: “Episode of Nami”. If the person likes the Episode he will most likely like One Piece. If not then not.

Quote:
Hidfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 03:27   Link #190
mrShady

Old 2013-10-30, 11:14   Link #191
Blackbeard D. Kuma

First of all, you guys don't need to use spoiler tags in this thread (it doesn't say anime-only).

Pre-skip, either Oda hadn't fully worked out the mechanics of Haki, or he didn't want to confuse the readers by showing any blackening effects. But you can be certain that Haki was conceived from the very beginning of the story. There were subtle hints and indications of it prior to Rayleigh's explanation of how it works. And it was obvious that there had to be something in place to counteract logia users, otherwise they would be completely invincible (sans their elemental weakness). Oda definitely had that mentality/concept in mind early on.
Old 2013-10-30, 12:14   Link #192
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
First of all, you guys don't need to use spoiler tags in this thread (it doesn't say anime-only).

Pre-skip, either Oda hadn't fully worked out the mechanics of Haki, or he didn't want to confuse the readers by showing any blackening effects. But you can be certain that Haki was conceived from the very beginning of the story. There were subtle hints and indications of it prior to Rayleigh's explanation of how it works. And it was obvious that there had to be something in place to counteract logia users, otherwise they would be completely invincible (sans their elemental weakness). Oda definitely had that mentality/concept in mind early on.
It's a thread for people interested in picking up One Piece. If I just go spoil all what is to come I might be ruining their experience.
So personally I find spoiler tags to be a proper way to go about especially if we are going off topic any way.

And for the last time I never disagreed on Oda including Haki since the beginning, just that he did it inconsistently and clumsy over the course of the series (probably because he hadn't worked it out yet).

On-topic:
Just read One Piece and have fun doing it.
Old 2013-10-30, 12:46   Link #193
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ The topic is titled "what's so good about One Piece", which can encompass a plethora of things to talk about. There's nothing indicating it's for newcomers to the series only. Newcomers are to enter this thread at their own risk. Again, there's no "anime-only" in the thread title.

Quote:
And for the last time I never disagreed on Oda including Haki since the beginning, just that he did it inconsistently and clumsy over the course of the series (probably because he hadn't worked it out yet).
But there's nothing inconsistent nor clumsy with the Haki usage thus far.
Old 2013-10-30, 13:29   Link #194
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidfe View Post
Just stop watching. I do not know why people watch so many Episodes when they do not enjoy something. If you still don’t like the characters and the humor than One Piece is not for you. I understand people who say to keep watching because many of those people advertise One Piece as the best thing ever and while One Piece is very entertaining from the beginning it is certainly not the best thing ever from beginning.
I still remember that I used to absolutely hate the artstyle and was not interested in the series. But my brother convinced me to give it a try and after watching 'til the beginning of Grand Line, I got used to the art style already, without me noticing it myself.
Old 2013-10-30, 14:31   Link #195
mrShady

Quote:
^ The topic is titled "what's so good about One Piece", which can encompass a plethora of things to talk about. There's nothing indicating it's for newcomers to the series only. Newcomers are to enter this thread at their own risk. Again, there's no "anime-only" in the thread title.
Of course it's not for newcomers only but that doesn't mean we can't be a little more discreet about it. Either way it's not for us to decide but the moderators and unless they say otherwise I don't see any wrong in me using spoiler tags.

Quote:
But there's nothing inconsistent nor clumsy with the Haki usage thus far.
Then that's your opinion and I don't agree with it. I gave several reasons as to why I feel that way and if you don't agree with that then refute them as much as you want.
Old 2013-10-30, 16:08   Link #196
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Then that's your opinion and I don't agree with it. I gave several reasons as to why I feel that way and if you don't agree with that then refute them as much as you want.
The problem is that your points/reasons aren't indicative of inconsistencies/retcons.
Old 2013-10-30, 17:01   Link #197
mrShady

Quote:
The problem is that your points/reasons aren't indicative of inconsistencies/retcons.
Spoiler for Still think it's necessary to tag:
Old 2013-10-30, 18:51   Link #198
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Spoiler for Still think it's necessary to tag:
Spoiler for Haki:
Old 2013-10-30, 19:22   Link #199
Vajra
So Like A Rose

I started on One Piece during the Alabasta/Baroque Works arc while it was in the US monthly Shonen Jump. I ended up skipping to the Saobody Arc and liking it so much that I jumped to the beginning and read from the very start.
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 03:37   Link #200
mrShady

Spoiler for Haki: