AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-30, 09:02   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Program that monitor cpu, board and hdd temperature plus fans speed

I managed to MBM 5 that monitors board and cpu temperature and fan speeds but not hdd.

I got to another program that monitor just hdds. But I don't have to have 2 programs eating space in my system tray.

Does anyone know an all in one prog ? Preferably freeware.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 21:09   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Maybe SpeedFan - it can do what you want, although it was designed for a different purpose (I think).
Old 2007-04-30, 22:14   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

Hummm... doesn't dectect my second fan. Temp1 and temp2 ? WTF can't it figure out what compontents are those!? I do know. Indeed they are all in 1 but still seems kinda... :/
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 11:48   Link #4
iceyfw

please note speedfan will display wrong temperatures sometimes. it can also give you the option to slow down your cpu fan to quiet to freakin loud from what i remember reading about it months ago.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 14:30   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Right, Speedfan's original purpose was to act as a software-based control for fan speeds. I don't think it works unless you have a special setup to allow it to control the fan speeds (may have certain motherboard requirements and/or fan type requirements). The temperature sensing can be a little cryptic, although you can usually determine what is what by stressing a single component and watching to see which one's temperature shoots up
Old 2007-05-01, 15:21   Link #6
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Just in case Mac users are interested in monitoring their machines' fan speeds/temperatures, I recommend the iStat Pro Dashboard widget. Very handy.
Old 2007-05-01, 16:19   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Just in case Mac users are interested in monitoring their machines' fan speeds/temperatures, I recommend the iStat Pro Dashboard widget. Very handy.
I actually just stumbled upon this before re-checking the forum and I'll second this recommendation. Provides even more information than I had with my usual slew of software under Windows (although I'm sure there's software to obtain the same information).
Old 2007-05-05, 13:07   Link #8
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Wow, that's a really nice widget. Impressively low footprint too. I've been using Hardware Monitor:
http://www.bresink.de/osx/HardwareMonitor.html
It covers sensors most people don't know exist, including such tidbits as CPU clock speed and GPU load, but in truth it's overkill. Although... my inner geek likes knowing that my Northbridge chip uses 21 watts.
Old 2007-05-05, 15:18   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Does the Mac have anything like the Windows Task Manager? How would I force-close a program (I've done it through the OS, but I did have one case where I had to physically reboot due to overall system instability caused by one program) if the GUI starts locking up?

Also, for iStat RAM: what's the difference between Wired, Active, Inactive, and Free?
Old 2007-05-05, 16:57   Link #10
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Does the Mac have anything like the Windows Task Manager? How would I force-close a program (I've done it through the OS, but I did have one case where I had to physically reboot due to overall system instability caused by one program) if the GUI starts locking up?

Also, for iStat RAM: what's the difference between Wired, Active, Inactive, and Free?
To force quit an app, hit Cmd+Opt+Esc. That will bring up the Force Quit dialog.

As for RAM, Wired and Active represents RAM currently in use by the system/apps. Inactive RAM is RAM that WAS being used by the system or apps, but has now been marked as free for use by other apps if needed. Free RAM is RAM that has not yet been used at all by the system or any apps. An easy way to think of it is: "Wired+Active = USED, Inactive+Free = UNUSED."