AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-03-09, 10:00   Link #1
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of the Nanoha series. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.

Please remember if you wish to discuss the opening, insert or ending songs, look at the Nanoha Music Discussions thread instead. This thread is meant to focus on the voice actors' ability to act and not their ability to sing. Try to keep discussions about events like concerts to a minimum.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?

Last edited by xris; 2010-03-09 at 16:47.
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 17:34   Link #2
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Let's see if I can start things off smoothly....

Mizuhashi Kaori, to whom I find myself calling "Mizuhacchi", is someone I think is quite talented. She voices Yuuno, Vivio and Sein, by the way. Too lazy to try to find the afureko of Yukarin, Nana and Mizuhacchi which had its lol moments.

Not many people have this sort of voice acting range. I don't hear her much in anime, but that is probably just me. I'm lliking her in BakaTest though. She does voice stuff other than anime; drama CDs, video games and.... eroge. Uehara Tomomi is her eroge alias because very few companies will allow their female talents to use their real name in such things.

But yes, I rarely hear praise for Mizuhacchi, at least when concerns the Nanoha series lol Laharl. Is it because a lot of people hate the ferret or something? I think it's awesome she's Yuuno and Vivio.... Would love for ViVid to be animated to hear more of her as an older Vivio.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-09, 18:15   Link #3
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I love Mizuhashi myself. She can do things from young girls (Vivio) to males (Yuuno) so she definitely has range. The earliest role I recall seeing her in is Akane from Kimi ga Nozomu Ein. Recently, I've been enjoying her in Baka Test and I've always loved her as Miyako in Hidamari Sketch. She's also White Len in Melty Blood and is one of the reasons I like playing as her.

I can say a lot on all the VAs involved with Nanoha, but I'll save that for when I have more time.
Old 2010-03-09, 19:06   Link #4
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

My posts will be half-arsed for a while. So many concerts, so little time.... Lagging as I try to type this 'cause of BD. ;-;

The Nanoha series is probably the first place I've heard Mizuhacchi's voice. I think Kimi ga Nozomu Eien was the first thing I heard where I realized "Oh, that's Yuuno's voice!" Back then, I didn't care much for seiyuu aside from a handful, like Yukarin. But.... Mizuhacchi is what got me through Hidamari Sketch. Didn't like the show, but I had to finish at least that first season.

While trying to find/remember her eroge pseudonym, stumbled upon her being a fan of ryukishi07 and voicing someone from HiguMatsuri. There's also that yandere CD, but Hirohashi Ryo felt superior.

Another cool dood - Kuwatani Natsuko/Nacchan, voicing Arf, Lutecia, Sette and... That Auris chick, lol.

Her "onii-chan" is probably my favourite out of all the ones I've heard, which is funny because I don't really care for imouto. From Maki (Seto no Hanayome) to Arf to desu to Achakura, she's someone I enjoy hearing. Her ojou-sama OHOHOHO~ laugh is crazy and her hysterical laughing on radio/afureko/interviews is kind of addicting at times.

Speaking of laughing, I still giggle at saimoe:
Nacchan → Arf → Suiseiseki/desu (anime) / Suiseiseki/desu (original drama CD) ← Fate ← Mizuki Nana

Sometimes, changing from the original drama CDs can be good for anime adapta- WHY DID THEY CHANGE ALICE FROM PANDORA HEARTS FROM YUKARIN TO AYACHII ;_;

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-09, 19:42   Link #5
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I believe the first series I saw that had Mizuki Nana was MSLN (Fate). Fate has the perfect and most appropriate voice actor because Nana's voice portrays and expresses a variety of emotions and the most dynamic emotions through Fate. Her voice is tender soft and sweet which reflects Fate's nature and personality. However, the instance where she turned me off the most was when she exclaimed 'hahaha, mama daisuki!!' through Alicia towards her mother. It felt excessively forced as opposed to Nana's voice for Fate being well done and natural.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 20:05   Link #6
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Well, Nanoha was the first series where I actually got familiar with Nana Mizuki and got into her music and stuff. It wasn't until later when I looked at her ANN page did I go "What? She's Hinata in Naruto too?!" I had stopped watching Naruto awhile beforehand so I had no idea.

Well, I'm sure what most note about Nana is how she does quiet, shy characters but as soon as she gets a mic in her hand, her singing voice is quite powerful.

I like hearing her do more 'eviler' sounding voices, though, like Utau in Shugo Chara or that fairy chick from Kara no Kyoukai.
Old 2010-03-09, 20:23   Link #7
Dr. Casey

Yuuno's voice actress did Akane from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien? That's cool, Akane's one of the best characters from that show.

Speaking of voices, some people say that Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate don't change at all for Strikers despite aging from 9 to 19. I wonder if that's true...
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 20:28   Link #8
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Speaking of voices, some people say that Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate don't change at all for Strikers despite aging from 9 to 19. I wonder if that's true...
Um, yeah, it is true. Did they sound different to you? Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate have always been voiced by Yukari Tamura, Nana Mizuki, and Kana Ueda respectively. The only character who got a new VA when he aged was Chrono.
Old 2010-03-09, 20:33   Link #9
uragayduck2

oh gosh, this thread is right up my alley. here we go:

Mizuki Nana: my absolute favorite seiyuu hands down. Fate's character doesn't let her shine at her best and it's not my favorite, but she sounds badass when it comes to unleashing her wrath in particular "Haken Saber" (i learned what haken meant through this series....edumacation at its best!).

i first heard Mizuki Nana from Ichigo 100% as Yui and noticed she was appearing in more and more series. then her name became synonymous to me when i thought of seiyuus in anime. best performance from her? i'd say Touma in Minami-ke because that was the first time i heard her shounen like voice which she pulled off beautifully. almost didn't recognize it was her had i not known ahead of the airing of the series.

Tamura Yukari: Ah yes, she is definitely a veteran and legend now. first heard of her from my other favorite series Galaxy Angel and become a huge fan of her. and like Mizuki Nana, her growth in roles rose exponentially, and i ate up every single role she voiced. i'll always remember her for her Ranpha voice because the majority of her roles sounds based off of that role. Cherio!!
uragayduck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 21:32   Link #10
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I first heard of Nana Mizuki in my favourite Anime Basilisk were she dubs Iga-no Oboro and sings the two endings, In fact, one of the reasons for wich I saw Nanoha is because I herd that Nana Mizuki subed Fate, yes, I'm his fan and I love her songs too

Too bad she's not know here in Mexico, 99% hard to find her songs.

EDIT: Question, who dubs Vita?
Old 2010-03-09, 21:42   Link #11
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Vita is voiced by Asami Sanada. It was hilarious hearing Vita be Sawa-chan-sensei from K-ON! and Kanako from Maria Holic. Super serious Vita can become such a goof
Old 2010-03-09, 21:48   Link #12
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Thanks.

Speaking of dubs I do hope to see one day the Nanoha series in Latin america since here are exellent dubers that would do a loyal and great work in my language. XP
Old 2010-03-09, 22:28   Link #13
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

>> This user is on your Ignore List.
(*΄∇`*)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uragayduck2 View Post
best performance from her? i'd say Touma in Minami-ke because that was the first time i heard her shounen like voice which she pulled off beautifully. almost didn't recognize it was her had i not known ahead of the airing of the series.
This, Kirihara Misaki from Darker than Black or Allison & Lillia are ones I'd nominate for best performances from her.

Notice how there's a lack of animegoe.

lol, didn't know the seiyuu cast for Minami-ke aside from the three main girls. Guess I heard enough of Nana by then to realize she was voicing Touma. =w=;
Quote:
Tamura Yukari: Ah yes, she is definitely a veteran and legend now. first heard of her from my other favorite series Galaxy Angel and become a huge fan of her. and like Mizuki Nana, her growth in roles rose exponentially, and i ate up every single role she voiced. i'll always remember her for her Ranpha voice because the majority of her roles sounds based off of that role. Cherio!!
Er, Yukarin and Nana have been voice acting for around eleven or twelve years, only getting any real roles within the last ten. I'd consider them pros at most. Nothing "veteran" level, as in they won't get paid extra to appear in a show/episode. Well, maybe Nana if they want someone to sing, even though she's pretty expensive to hire. Heck, someone as talented as Sawashiro Miyuki is still a pro.

Yukarin's been in a slump the past couple of years, but hopefully she'll get more roles. This year is looking brighter than last year at any rate. It seems like her and Horie Yui switch in terms of roles every few years? Or maybe I'm just losing it.

Gah, I need to re-watch the Lyrical Parties. I can't seem to find the first season one. I pretty much screamed murder hearing Nana voicing Nanoha. Something about her animegoe that I just don't like. Oh god, Nana voicing a 3 yr old Nanoha was just no to.

Thank you, Shuffle Challenge, for ruining certain scenes of the Nanoha series for me. Yukarin rapping as Vita is awesome, but at the same time....

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-09, 23:07   Link #14
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
>> This user is on your Ignore List.
wait which of us do you mean

It can only be me, Raiser, Noe, or Rick.

And if it's me you can't read this post.

D:
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 23:17   Link #15
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

The thread is already up? Begun, the Seiyuu War has.

Personally if you ask me, Mizuki's performance was weak. I mean, don't take me the wrong way way, i LOVE her old songs before her mainstream songs turned me off, her enka background ensured that, but with the range of emotions that Fate displayed imo, was displayed in a rather plastic-y manner by Mizuki, using the textbook I-AM-SUFFERING-PLEASE-FEEL-FOR-ME range of voice that seiyuus are trained to do when they're in training school. Any novice would have pulled off the same standard as Mizuki did for Fate.

And then there's Yukarin and her usual way of voice acting, but like i mentioned, it's her "usual way of voice acting" anyway. Any of the complaints one would hear from a critic on her usual acting could and would be applied.

Ueda, on the other hand, was terrific compared to the other two when she portrayed Hayate. There is an edge to her voice that expressed the character.

[edit]:
Nakamura Yuichi pulled off Vice well. A side character he might have been voicing, but that didn't stop him from fleshing out the marksman as best as one could. That piece of dialogue where he adviced Teana was pretty well done, pulling off the subtleties of a retired veteran trying to advice a Shiny without sounding too pompous. His climatic scene in episode 26 too, was in my opinion the best piece of acting in the entirety of StrikerS.

Itou Shizuka. Oh you. You poor, poor, wonderful yuri pimpseiyuu. She must have been really underpain to do so many roles in StrikerS, because none of them particular stood out as decent voice acting. Shario sounded more like the genki type, rather than the onee-sama type that Itou excels at.

Well, as far as my opinion is concerned, Nakamura and Itou's performances were all that I could wax lyrical/complain about respectively. I could talk about how all the other characters were voiced, but then I would be repeating the same thing - generic.

Best Voice Acting Performances in the entire franchise:(for me, in any case)
Kevin J England, Kakihara Tetsuya.
What? I've always been watching Nanoha for the devices right from Day 1!

Last edited by Nya~n; 2010-03-09 at 23:38.
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 23:21   Link #16
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Personally if you ask me, Mizuki's performance was weak. I mean, don't take me the wrong way way, i LOVE her old songs before her mainstream songs turned me off, her enka background ensured that, but with the range of emotions that Fate displayed imo, was displayed in a rather plastic-y manner by Mizuki, using the textbook I-AM-SUFFERING-PLEASE-FEEL-FOR-ME range of voice that seiyuus are trained to do when they're in training school. Any novice would have pulled off the same standard as Mizuki did for Fate.
This. Nana Mizuki was spot on for Fate in StrikerS, I thought, but listening to the subs, there was NO change between her A's voice and her StrikerS voice. It's okay if she was making it sound younger as A's Fate, but she wasn't so...

I'll shut up about my preferences before I set off a powder keg.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 23:41   Link #17
uragayduck2

Quote:
This, Kirihara Misaki from Darker than Black or Allison & Lillia are ones I'd nominate for best performances from her.

Notice how there's a lack of animegoe.

lol, didn't know the seiyuu cast for Minami-ke aside from the three main girls. Guess I heard enough of Nana by then to realize she was voicing Touma. =w=;
Mizuki Nana has an abundance of "animegoe" as you put (actually, i'm not even exactly sure what that means (^ ^ ; ) ) , but the ones that stand out are the ones that aren't in the usual repertoire.

Quote:
Er, Yukarin and Nana have been voice acting for around eleven or twelve years, only getting any real roles within the last ten. I'd consider them pros at most. Nothing "veteran" level, as in they won't get paid extra to appear in a show/episode. Well, maybe Nana if they want someone to sing, even though she's pretty expensive to hire. Heck, someone as talented as Sawashiro Miyuki is still a pro.
oh no, believe me i know they've been at it for a while already. i was just saying that it's been booming ever since obviously more for Mizuki Nana (deservedly so too). ok i'll admit giving them "veteran" status was a bit much.....that's saved for the likes of Inoue Kikuko and Hidaka Noriko. i agree with your term for "pro" for Tamura Yukari and Mizuki Nana as it it's above average but not yet legendary. though i say that, Mizuki Nana is setting records for her singing career, no?

Quote:
Yukarin's been in a slump the past couple of years, but hopefully she'll get more roles. This year is looking brighter than last year at any rate. It seems like her and Horie Yui switch in terms of roles every few years? Or maybe I'm just losing it.
slump? really? never really noticed as i thought she was doing pretty good. though i say that, i'm not a hardcore follower of her and am only judging this based off of series she's been in and her somewhat popularity in the music scene. you know it's interesting though, that comment you made about Horie Yui and Tamura Yukari switching off......actually makes sense. it's like when one is out of the picture, the other is in the spotlight. weren't they in a duo together for singing before?

Quote:
Thank you, Shuffle Challenge, for ruining certain scenes of the Nanoha series for me. Yukarin rapping as Vita is awesome, but at the same time....
the best performance in the shuffle has to go to either Inoue Marina for her witty comment as Yuuno or to Yuzuki Ryoka (Shamal for those who forgot.....me included) as Vita for starting off the whole ad libbing thing. wish they showed the whole event and not just clips of them

Quote:
The thread is already up? Begun, the Seiyuu War has.

And then there's Yukarin and her usual way of voice acting, but like i mentioned, it's her "usual way of voice acting" anyway. Any of the complaints one would hear from a critic on her usual acting could and would be applied.

Ueda, on the other hand, was terrific compared to the other two when she portrayed Hayate. There is an edge to her voice that expressed the character.

[edit]: now typing on the others. come back in half an hour.
now here's the thing with this series, in all honesty, Nanoha and Fate are the most blank characters of all the characters particularly with Fate. sure Nanoha has her moments, but overall they are just super badasses in fighting. later on in A's and Strikers, the other characters were given more personalities than the main heroines which gave them an appeal. they couldn't just up and change Nanoha and Fate's personalities, so their voice direction were still bland and uninspired.....but still badass with their fights. so it sucked for Mizuki Nana who could do so much more (think Material L in Battle of Aces), but there's nothing i would change for them because it wouldn't have the same feel. i'm just glad they weren't overly cutesy and moeblobish to the point of disgust (i'm looking at you K-ON).

//EDIT
.....anyone catch the Cherio! reference?.........failed........orz

Last edited by uragayduck2; 2010-03-10 at 00:10.
uragayduck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 00:16   Link #18
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Any novice would have pulled off the same standard as Mizuki did for Fate.
Oh no, Nana's your average seiyuu all right. I don't think she's great, but I don't think she's terrible. Most seiyuu [back then] had some sort of standard. Today, it's slowly changing and you can tell when seiyuu have to be concerned about their appearances.

Any novice, you say? Yes, I would have loved to hear someone as shaky as Omigawa Chiaki. Not too impressed with Kotobuki Minako, but she's young and new. Itou Shizuka wasn't that great to begin with either and now look at her.

o jeez, it sounds like I'm defending Nana in voice acting, of all things.
Quote:
Not going to take the bait. I will say one thing: Yukarin's ad-libs are awesome.

If I really wanted to be mean, I'd say everyone sounded generic. How do you set apart the real pros from one another in terms of acting? I'm sure most people I know would go with timbre and the characters they've voiced over the actual acting, lol. Which is why I'll be bitter about Miyukichi wi- Seiyuu awards are rigged, nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uragayduck2 View Post
Mizuki Nana has an abundance of "animegoe" as you put (actually, i'm not even exactly sure what that means (^ ^ ; ) ) , but the ones that stand out are the ones that aren't in the usual repertoire.
animegoe = アニメ声 = mean way to talk about high-pitch, kiddy voices.
Quote:
though i say that, Mizuki Nana is setting records for her singing career, no?
Because otaku and fan girls are the only people that actually buy things, so Oricon sales in general are bad. Plus, KR is learning when to release her stuff to help with reaching #1. But let's not talk much about her smashing seiyuu singing records.
Quote:
slump? really? never really noticed as i thought she was doing pretty good.
2004~2006, Yukarin had a majority of the better roles. 2007 was nearly equal for them. 2008~2009 is definitely in Hocchan's favour.
Quote:
weren't they in a duo together for singing before?
Yamato Nadeshiko.... more famous for their not singing. Naked hotel ramps, calling each other by first name without honorifics (ry
Quote:
the best performance in the shuffle has to go to either Inoue Marina for her witty comment as Yuuno or to Yuzuki Ryoka (Shamal for those who forgot.....me included) as Vita for starting off the whole ad libbing thing. wish they showed the whole event and not just clips of them
I was talking about the radio one. orz

Yeah, the whole thing is cool. I love how they have that microphone effect for Yukarin in each event. These were an hour or two long, so no wonder we only got to see clips. ^^;
Quote:
.....anyone catch the Cherio! reference?.........failed........orz
Fcuk yeah, Togame. Ep 03 didn't have a lot of her, but it was still ffffffff hair.

Jeebus wiggly, trying to post while watching blu-rays takes way longer and lag and arghhhh. orz

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-10, 02:43   Link #19
Ottocycle

Long overdue VA thread for a show known to have a who's-who of female seiyuu? Hmm..
Quote:
This thread is meant to focus on the voice actors' ability to act and not their ability to sing. Try to keep discussions about events like concerts to a minimum.
Damn, now I can't post this awesome Donna Burke song as an excuse for post content and fanboyism. Raising Heart sure can sing, that's what I gotta say though.

Having watched Nanoha and Pani Poni at about the same time, these two shows really awakened me to Ueda Kana. Result: Pure enjoyment during Hayate no Gotoku S1 as she brings out the fun that her tone inherently brings.

Also, I was so cuted to death by Becky I had a hard time taking Subaru seriously. Neko mimi moodo!
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 09:07   Link #20
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Hohum. For anyone who watched BluRaji - BlazBlue radio show. Really hope this guy ends up doing at least the two Yukarin eps, at least the first Nana one and the Sugita one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottocycle View Post
Damn, now I can't post this awesome Donna Burke song as an excuse for post content and fanboyism. Raising Heart sure can sing, that's what I gotta say though.
Hmm, any decent Nana fan should know about her character song in the Peace Walker theme single. So, they should know that Donna Burke is singing Heavens Divide.

lol, who am I kidding. It's all about Nana. ._.;
Quote:
Having watched Nanoha and Pani Poni at about the same time, these two shows really awakened me to Ueda Kana. Result: Pure enjoyment during Hayate no Gotoku S1 as she brings out the fun that her tone inherently brings.
S2 S2 S2 S2 S2 SAKUYA ffffffff. My nutbla-

Kana-sama's personality through radio is what awakened me to her, but let's save that for something else. ^^;
Quote:
Also, I was so cuted to death by Becky I had a hard time taking Subaru seriously. Neko mimi moodo!
Didn't really enjoy PPD because I didn't get most of the references at the time, but ChiwaChiwa is awesome. MOGEEEEEEEE~ Glad Shaft recognizes her mogeeeeee, though I'm not sure what to think when most people know will think ChiwaChiwa → Crabs Senjougahara. Well, it's better than thinking ChiwaChiwa → Kemeko. Visually. fcu-

Okay, back to Nanoha. Ep 17 was just.... You can really tell who the better seiyuu are from their ad-lib. I must say Takahashi Mikako's lose scream thing in the PSP game is horrible, but that can happen when you try to scream as a young guy when you're a girl.

.... Half the time I'm imagining Subaru's voice with Nobuyuki Hiyama because of a friend now and it doesn't help Nobuyuki is the voice of the hentai kamen guys in A's.

Edit:
>> awwww, did Nyan touch a nerve there? gotta agree with him though. and you're such a voice actor idol faggot. don't worry, your secret's safe with me.

Bwahahaha, because I only seem to talk about seiyuu idols, I'm just a seiyuu idol faggot. I love how people act on the interwebs, lol.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?

Last edited by Bananoha; 2010-03-10 at 09:30.