AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-06-28, 12:50   Link #21
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

MOE - I hate it, most Moe animes are unintelligent, pointless, and full of unneccessary fan service, nothing more.

Whinny kids/ Damsel in distress, again most are pointless. I'm fine with cute, but I can't for the love of god figure out the Japanese's preference for helpless pretty princesses who's just there to look good with no relation to the plot or whatsoever.

The-10-year-old-little-kawaii-girl-with-big-eyes-and-onii-chan-syndrome.

The "just as planned" cliche.

Cheesy "In-your-face-I'm-gonna-protect-my-friends-and-families" dialogues.

The romantically oblivious protagonist.

Will post more when I think of anything else.
Old 2010-06-28, 13:00   Link #22
mike.

I try only to watch genuinely interesting, unique, or sophisticated anime, so it's disappointing that the vast majority of the stuff out there is run of the mill crap like this.

Sure, I just generalized every single one of those anime on there, but in my mind its quite obvious just by the thumbnail (of which ~12/17 are plastered with same old cardboard cutout anime schoolgirls) and short blurb as to what kind of show it is and who it caters to.

But alas, that is just like any other medium and it is worth it to muck through the filth to find some truly enlightening gems.
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 13:21   Link #23
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Aside from some "Holier Than Thou" and "Serious Buisness" fans, I'd have to say fanservice and other strange otaku fetishes in an anime that I feel is supposed to be serious:
Spoiler for space:

I also hate weak/angsty/stupid characters that just get on my nerves.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 13:35   Link #24
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
You've got that a little messed up. The reason for the fanservice level in a lot of these shows is because it will appeal to younger viewers, specifically, hormone-raging-adolescents (or folks who still have this mindset). Eg. Love Hina, Negima, both shounen shows aimed at younger males.
I'm pretty sure these actually fall under the "shounen manga, seinen anime" category. You can sell $4 a volume manga to horny teens, $30 per episode anime DVDs not so much. And late night anime is generally aimed squarely at the group who will shell out that much because ad revenue from these shows is pretty much non-existent.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that Negima did have one adaptation that aired at 5:30PM. It's pretty light on the fanservice though, whereas the one that aired at 1:30AM is not. Not sure when Love Hina aired since it's older than what Mahou's showtime listing tracks).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 13:35   Link #25
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Aside from some "Holier Than Thou" and "Serious Buisness" fans, I'd have to say fanservice and other strange otaku fetishes in an anime that I feel is supposed to be serious:
Spoiler for space:
code geass has always been a comedy, and if you're the kind of person who doesn't realize this you should probably stick to naruto and dbz
hope this helps

(no, really, how the hell can anyone take code geass seriously)

edit: well, okay, to be completely fair it's actually a meta-comedy, since the biggest part of the fun was watching the reactions on the internet, from the anti-americanism outrage crowd at the first eps of season 1 over euphinator and the non-ending of s1, via lol china arc and the entire r2 clusterfuck to the massive LOLITROLLU ending.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 13:39   Link #26
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Quote:
I also hate weak/angsty/stupid characters that just get on my nerves.
Only if you're not one.
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 15:05   Link #27
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
You've got that a little messed up. The reason for the fanservice level in a lot of these shows is because it will appeal to younger viewers, specifically, hormone-raging-adolescents (or folks who still have this mindset). Eg. Love Hina, Negima, both shounen shows aimed at younger males.
Aren't they being sued by parents or that? Because there are clear panty shots, some off screen raping, grabbing, squeezing, tentacle rape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic girl View Post
I really rare find things i hate about anime but the most thing i hate it is when the HERO always win ..I haven't see any anime that the hero dies
SUCH A BORING THING ABOUT ANIME
example : Naruto , DBZ

Or when there is no ending for the series such as
Skip beat
Code geass R2
Pandora ect

and also when the authors agree for other ppl to dub their anime
it really annoy me
I actually I know two animes that give wrong first impression and so called "hero" does die... but yeh I hate it too and not only in anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaxxmintpie View Post
Whinny kids/ Damsel in distress, again most are pointless. I'm fine with cute, but I can't for the love of god figure out the Japanese's preference for helpless pretty princesses who's just there to look good with no relation to the plot or whatsoever.
I guess they imagine themselves as those princesses heroes.
Old 2010-06-28, 15:12   Link #28
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
I don't care much about clichés and tropes in anime. The fanbase is more aggravating than the medium. Maybe if I have a complain, I wish the anime industry would be less about merchandise selling, but it's only wishful thinking.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 17:21   Link #29
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Aren't they being sued by parents or that? Because there are clear panty shots, some off screen raping, grabbing, squeezing, tentacle rape...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...luesDissonance

do not make the assumption that what you consider acceptable is what everyone else considers acceptable as well
in other words, do not assume that everyone thinks like you

Edit: to spell it out even clearer: FMA:B, with all its gruesome demons and death and despair, is a kids/family show in Japan, with a family timeslot (17:00 on Sundays) to go with it. Naruto? Also a kids (or at least a very young teenager) show, airs at 19:00 on a weekday. DBZ, which has tits and violence and stuff all over the place, is definitely a kids show (airs at 09:00 sunday mornings). Same with One Piece, which has a similar timeslot (09:30 sunday mornings). These things are acceptable to show to kids in Japan, and shounen/shoujo really ARE marketed at kids and younger teenagers.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2010-06-28 at 17:49.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 18:07   Link #30
kitten320

When did I name any of those animes?
They are obviously kids shows towards which I didn't say a word about not being suited for children.

Read my posts and examples properly.
Old 2010-06-28, 18:38   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The point Fluff is making is that "morals" and "standards" are completely relative to the various countries and sometimes vary from county to county. Japan audiences simply don't take sex, sex comedy, or such as seriously as, say, the puritanical US.

In Japan... whats more important is context and where stuff happens as to whether its acceptable or not.
Old 2010-06-28, 18:42   Link #32
kitten320

My views over Japan are really starting to drop letely... not that I'm some hentai hater but their views sure are weird...
Old 2010-06-28, 18:43   Link #33
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

One would hate some aspects of anime of you're gonna stick to your cultural standards. Remember, anime has lots of Japanese culture remarks written all over it, so if you are really an anime fan who respects the industry, you should be able to respect the culture as well.

As for me, the only anime I hate is those anime that I dropped. (That makes SEVEN series).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 20:00   Link #34
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I'd have to say fanservice and other strange otaku fetishes in an anime that I feel is supposed to be serious:
Spoiler for space:
This is the main thing about anime that I dislike. I don't mind fanservice in general, but it really feels out of place in certain animes. Certain animes have fairly serious and interesting plots to them and/or work perfectly fine without fanservice, so I dislike it being added in beyond a few comedic relief scenes. It feels really forced when used a lot, and an unwanted distraction or breaking of the mood.

Just to be clear, I don't mind Ikkitousen. And I don't mind K-On! Those animes are really upfront about what they are (ecchi and moe respectively). And there's definitely a place for animes like them.

But a few times in the past year I've started watching an anime that I thought would be a pretty serious straightforward story and it gets bogged down in excessive fanservice. It's like going in to a movie expecting Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and ending up watching Kiddy Girl-And.
Old 2010-06-28, 20:37   Link #35
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
1- Messed up endings: I didn't keep count, but I'm sure more than half of the "good" animes I've watched had either a terrible ending, or at best, a bad one that leaves alot in the story untied. And what makes it even worse is that sometimes it seems it was deliberate for the sake of being unpredictable, or for spicing things up for a 2nd season.

2- Badly executed plot twists: Without plot twists, any anime of any genre will endup being a slice-of-life anime. However, some are well executed and brought out from the depth of the story itself (sorry the best way I can describe it), and therefore don't seem out of place. Meanwhile, some others aren't. And those tend to be plane irritating instead of suspenseful (lol I know it's not a word).

3- Sudden fall-downs: Some of the best made animes out there started out as brilliant as it gets and then for some reason the story reaches a point somewhere in the middle of the show afterwhich it would seem as though an entirely different team of writers, directors, creators has taken over the studio and continued the series in a bizarre direction that makes no sense at all. Examples:
Spoiler for NGE & Death Note:

Last edited by Samurai dono; 2010-06-28 at 20:39. Reason: Spelling
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 21:42   Link #36
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

In the case of series that are more grim overall like Code Geass, service and some light-hearted humour is needed every now and then. If you make every moment too intense, you will weaken the impact of climactic moments since the mood was on a high anyway. You need to create a lull to enhance those highs and to give the viewer a chance to relax and see the characters in some every day aspects, character development and to feel the rise in the pace and the tension. You can't keep going at a million miles an hour all the times and have everything feel Over 9000 for those reasons. Slower episodes are usually necessary for the WTF revelation at the end of that episode that will have fans talking like mad until the next episode - it will feel that much more important since the episode was leading you to believe it wouldn't be of much importance.

Which leads to my first gripe - 1. Pacing. This can easily kill a show if it's done wrong. Allow the climactic moments to feel that way but don't let the other times feel snail-like. Weave character exposition into scenes were something else is happening - don't let a scene become static. The ending of a series needs to have some major impact. The beginning has to be engaging - set some intrigue and spledour. Series I like will have me sold in 1-2 episodes. Series I don't will lose me within that time usually. If you want a viewer to want your product, get them engaged at the start and maintain it.

2. Prejudice. People of a different race, gender, sexual orientation, political orientationc, etc. that still sits within the boundaries of law, morality and not hurting any one that cares about them - those things are alright. They are not reasons to be hated. Until recently, yuri has been given the 'silly teen fling' or 'this is wrong' treatment. It's being seen in a better light in the last few years. Female characters in general are now being given more prominent roles and males are becoming more varied in personalities. The idea that male characters can only be the 'I'm awesome and I'll conquer the world' or 'I'm spineless yet liked' types is antiquated. Outsider views of anime also disgust me sometimes. That some people think Miyazaki is the only maker of anime that is worth watching or that anime is only hentai/long running shounen series tailored for young kids - that frustrates me.

3. Big star name = only reason to watch. Any industry needs new talent to regularly emerge and provide the industry with more plusses and perspectives. You can't rely on the same old, same old to sell a series/movie. A series not having a high-profile seiyuu shouldn't be a death blow - I get annoyed when seeing comments in various places that a series not being voiced by Rie Kugiyama, Kikuko Inuoe or Yui Horie is instant don't like. Or that it doesn't have a director like Miyazaki or Hideaki Anno. If those views were subscribed to, the good talent that emerges would go unnoticed and eventually the industry would fall. Judge a series by its merits, content and quality.

4. Aloofness. Each to their own. Liking genre A but not genre B doesn't mean that you're automatically better than someone who likes genre B. We're all people with the right to form our own opinions and have our own tastes.

5. Destroying the original manga. Anime series made from a manga that end up being an abomination make me really mad. Hideaki Anno turned Masami Tsuda's manga into an anime that made a mockery of what her title stood for - to the point she barred further material from being made. Yuna Kagesaki's manga Karin (known as Chibi Vampire in the West) was a light-hearted sweet shounen romance that got turned into an ecchifest at the anime level and left her stunned at the results. Saikano's brilliant mix of angst and sexual humour was turned into an emofest at the anime level, utterly ruining the message and vibe Shin Takahashi gave in the manga. The list goes on. Adaptations should consider the original authour's intent to a fair degree.
Last Sinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 22:27   Link #37
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Character Balancing and Focus

The thing that annoys me the most that some popular characters completely overtake the manga because the author loves them too much or just something to place the fans. Usually when you have a lot characters, some characters especiially in shonen get shafted or just plain never seen again. Some manga such as Negima are able to focus on a lot of characters although it isn't completely free from the 'Put on the Bus' thing, it was very well done when it came to giving an equal amount focus to the many characters in the manga. The author/writer should give focus to the other characters in their work and not a few characters carry the manga but also not abuse the characters to the point where the suffer derailment.
Old 2010-06-28, 22:54   Link #38
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
5. Destroying the original manga. Hideaki Anno turned Masami Tsuda's manga into an anime that made a mockery of what her title stood for
Are you referring to Kare Kano? This is just my opinion, but I actually think Hideaki Anno did a favour to that manga - his directorial touch in the early half of the series IMO transformed what was something of a typical shoujo manga into something really memorable that is fondly remembered and frequently reccomended even a decade later. In fact I consider the first four episodes alone to be a classic of high school romance anime.

I guess I can understand an author's frustration when someone wants to "adapt" their work but ends up turning it into something different than they intended. But it's hard for me not to be partly glad that Anno did what he did, considering the end result. If I recall, he left the series precisely because of creative differences...subsequently, the show ended on a very weak note...

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 23:23   Link #39
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Seriously though, anime is a medium, so complaining about specific shows, or specific tropes in specific genres is in no way a reflection of the medium. If you want to talk about frame rate issues, editing techniques, animation short-cuts, etc or something indicative of the medium, then let's talk, otherwise you are not talking about anime, but rather specific shows (tropes, genres, etc)...
Still the best post in this thread. The majority of the comments so far continue to confuse the flaws of specific shows with the shortcomings of an entire medium. So yeah, like james0246, what do I hate about anime? The fans.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 23:28   Link #40
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

There isn't much things I hate about anime. Hate is a strong word, but there is a few things I do not like such as...

Mecha - I have zero interest in it and once a show puts this in... It's dropped.

Excessive Fanservice - Some fan service is alright, but once they go overboard, it ruins my enjoyment of a series. Moderation is key.

Fandumb/Hatedumb: Although I rarely run into people like this, there are always some people in the fandom that can be annoying.