AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-10, 13:52   Link #161
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I was a dedicated Red Hat for a number of years til the Fedora split/debacle... then I figured if I was going to *pay* for an OS, I'd go with the Germans (SUSE). I wasn't ultrahappy with their setup for KDE (you WILL use Konquerer, etc) but I'd just pave over that stuff (I did get nailed a few times early by the wizards colliding with my config file editing).

But then I tripped over Ubuntu. I can't remember how I first heard of it, but it accidentally seems to have 90% of all the apps I like to use installed by default. That plus the Synaptics manager just makes it easy to use for me. The only thing it seems to lack is some nice gui wizard for implementing and managing multiple virtual web/mail hosts.
... which I suppose lurks out there on sourceforge somewhere.
Old 2007-08-15, 01:55   Link #162
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I have a strange behaviour with Firefox and Ubuntu. If I try to save to a samba drive that has been mounted, for some file extensions it adds another extension. For example blabblah.mp3 becomes blahblah.mp3.bin and blahblah.zip becomes blahblah.zip.zip. It does not happen to Opera so I think it is to do with Firefox. I uninstalled my download manager Flashgot and it still happens. I check about:config and could not see anything that looked like it would cause this to happen.

To allow my Ubuntu network places unaware programs work, I mount all of my samba shares to /home/greymoon/network/{sharenames}

If I save to a local directory it does not rename. I'm confused as the mounted directory should be just a directory to the application.

Any ideas please?
Old 2007-08-15, 03:01   Link #163
Flora20709
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flora20709 Send a message via Yahoo to Flora20709
Finally Some Linux Users Well I Use Gentoo Linux
But I wanna try Ubuntu any1 got links linking to the mirior downloads or were i can get the live cds
Flora20709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 05:59   Link #164
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

I am not sure if anyone has noticed this version of Ubuntu - http://ubuntusoftware.info/Ubuntu_Ultimate_1.4/ . It is the "Ultimate" version that is suggested to be used by gamers.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 07:57   Link #165
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
I am not sure if anyone has noticed this version of Ubuntu - http://ubuntusoftware.info/Ubuntu_Ultimate_1.4/ . It is the "Ultimate" version that is suggested to be used by gamers.
wow I have to say it is a pretty impressive list of additional software added to the base install. Personally I think with Ubuntu, it is easy enough for a normal user to add most of them apps. I'm of the school of don't install it if you don't need it, as each application or service is an additional possible security hole.
Old 2007-08-15, 08:24   Link #166
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quichy20709 View Post
Finally Some Linux Users Well I Use Gentoo Linux
But I wanna try Ubuntu any1 got links linking to the mirior downloads or were i can get the live cds
Mirrors enough here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

But.. if you're a Gentoo user and have the time and patience to wait for the compiling, stay with Gentoo
I've never had a more enjoyable distro than Gentoo.
The reason I now run Ubuntu and Suse is because of a double HD crash on my Gentoo boxes and I didn't have the time to rebuild my system with it ...
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 15:16   Link #167
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
wow I have to say it is a pretty impressive list of additional software added to the base install. Personally I think with Ubuntu, it is easy enough for a normal user to add most of them apps. I'm of the school of don't install it if you don't need it, as each application or service is an additional possible security hole.
I think it is just meant to look pretty and allow users who wish to have all of these respected applications to install them by default - kind of like Vista! Linux, these days, is relatively easy to install and looks pretty by default anyways - without requiring a whole bunch of RAM, CPU, and the like.
Old 2007-08-15, 15:51   Link #168
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Maybe the most practical, unideological, down-to-earth problem I have with Windows (apart form the fact that it costs money) is, that it simply doesn't have "all the respected applications" right out of the box.
Old 2007-08-15, 16:52   Link #169
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Maybe the most practical, unideological, down-to-earth problem I have with Windows (apart form the fact that it costs money) is, that it simply doesn't have "all the respected applications" right out of the box.
How do you expect software companies to make their millions? Thankfully, Linux provides us with an opportunity to use open-source and paid software at our leisure.
Old 2007-08-16, 08:44   Link #170
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I have a strange behaviour with Firefox and Ubuntu. If I try to save to a samba drive that has been mounted, for some file extensions it adds another extension. For example blabblah.mp3 becomes blahblah.mp3.bin and blahblah.zip becomes blahblah.zip.zip. It does not happen to Opera so I think it is to do with Firefox. I uninstalled my download manager Flashgot and it still happens. I check about:config and could not see anything that looked like it would cause this to happen.

To allow my Ubuntu network places unaware programs work, I mount all of my samba shares to /home/greymoon/network/{sharenames}

If I save to a local directory it does not rename. I'm confused as the mounted directory should be just a directory to the application.

Any ideas please?
After trying many many things, I noticed that the only difference between a local directory and a samba mounted one was that it makes the files executable. I set my umask and FF did the same thing to a local directory, so I remounted my samba shares with a fmask=640 and dmask=750 and no more problems.
Old 2007-08-18, 01:03   Link #171
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Yet again, I bring up Ubuntu Server. I tried installing the Ubuntu GUI for my server with the command "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" just now. Unfortunately, it reported that it "Couldn't find package ubuntu-desktop". Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm thinking it may be due to my onboard ethernet since I'm not 100% if it's functioning and being detected and used, but I'd like to make sure before I try things with my hunch.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 02:09   Link #172
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Why don't you post your /etc/apt/sources.list file? Maybe you don't have the repositories enabled, who knows (though it'd be really weird). (Note: In case you're left on CLI only, use nano to read the text file).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 02:16   Link #173
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Alright. I hate having to have people hold my hand for this, but I managed to get the GUI installed. Now, the problem is UnrealIRCd. Yes, I'm trying to start an IRC server for my server computer. Unfortuantely, I've run into some problems. I hate having to have others literally guide me, but sometimes, what can you do? I've tried compiling UnrealIRCd, but I keep running into trouble.

On terminal, it says:
./configure --with-showlistmodes --enable-nospoof --enable-hub --enable-inet6 --enable-prefixaq --with-listen=5 --with-dpath=//home/administrator/Desktop/Unreal3.2.7 --with-spath=//home/administrator/Desktop/Unreal3.2.7/src/ircd --with-nick-history=99999999999999 --with-sendq=3000000 --with-bufferpool=18 --with-hostname=(I deleted this for this post for security reasons.) --with-permissions=0600 --with-fd-setsize=1024 --enable-dynamic-linking
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

So, I go and look in config.log, but I can't find heads nor tails in what's going on, so here's what I'm looking at from that file. Maybe someone else could figure out what needs to be done:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by configure, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.59. Invocation command line was

$ ./configure --with-showlistmodes --enable-nospoof --enable-hub --enable-inet6 --enable-prefixaq --with-listen=5 --with-dpath=//home/administrator/Desktop/Unreal3.2.7 --with-spath=//home/administrator/Desktop/Unreal3.2.7/src/ircd --with-nick-history=99999999999999 --with-sendq=3000000 --with-bufferpool=18 --with-hostname=(Again, deleted for this post for security reasons) --with-permissions=0600 --with-fd-setsize=1024 --enable-dynamic-linking

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = Mainframe
uname -m = i686
uname -r = 2.6.20-16-server
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #2 SMP Thu Jun 7 20:26:23 UTC 2007

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X = unknown

/bin/arch = i686
/usr/bin/arch -k = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
hostinfo = unknown
/bin/machine = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel = unknown
/bin/universe = unknown

PATH: /usr/local/sbin
PATH: /usr/local/bin
PATH: /usr/sbin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /sbin
PATH: /bin
PATH: /usr/games

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##

configure:1379: checking for gcc
configure:1395: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:1405: result: gcc
configure:1649: checking for C compiler version
configure:1652: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

configure:1655: $? = 0
configure:1657: gcc -v </dev/null >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
configure:1660: $? = 0
configure:1662: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:1665: $? = 1
configure:1688: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:1691: gcc conftest.c >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:1694: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h. */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
| ;
| return 0;
| }
configure:1733: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

ac_cv_env_CC_set=
ac_cv_env_CC_value=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPP_set=
ac_cv_env_CPP_value=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_value=
ac_cv_prog_ac_ct_CC=gcc

## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##

ALLOCA=''
BINDIR=''
CARESINCDIR=''
CARESLIBDIR=''
CARESLIBS=''
CC='gcc'
CFLAGS=''
CP=''
CPP=''
CPPFLAGS=''
CRYPTOLIB=''
DEFS=''
ECHO_C=''
ECHO_N='-n'
ECHO_T=''
EGREP=''
EXEEXT=''
FD_SETSIZE=''
GMAKE=''
GUNZIP=''
HAVE_ZLIB=''
INSTALL=''
IRCDDIR=''
IRCDLIBS=''
LDFLAGS=''
LIBOBJS=''
LIBS=''
LTLIBOBJS=''
MAKER=''
MKPASSWDLIBS=''
MODULEFLAGS=''
OBJEXT=''
OPENSSLPATH=''
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT=''
PACKAGE_NAME=''
PACKAGE_STRING=''
PACKAGE_TARNAME=''
PACKAGE_VERSION=''
PATH_SEPARATOR=':'
PKGCONFIG=''
RM=''
SHELL='/bin/bash'
STRTOUL=''
TOUCH=''
TREINCDIR=''
TRELIBS=''
URL=''
ac_ct_CC='gcc'
bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin'
build_alias=''
datadir='${prefix}/share'
exec_prefix='NONE'
host_alias=''
includedir='${prefix}/include'
infodir='${prefix}/info'
libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib'
libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/libexec'
localstatedir='${prefix}/var'
mandir='${prefix}/man'
oldincludedir='/usr/include'
prefix='NONE'
program_transform_name='s,x,x,'
sbindir='${exec_prefix}/sbin'
sharedstatedir='${prefix}/com'
sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc'
target_alias=''

## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_STRING ""
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""

configure: exit 77

Last edited by Phantom-Takaya; 2007-08-18 at 18:54.
Old 2007-08-19, 23:43   Link #174
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Actually, in addition to my last post, is UnrealIRCd even good to use to host IRC servers? Or are there others that are better? And yeah, I'm still stuck on the same thing.
Old 2007-08-20, 02:10   Link #175
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I am not sure if that alone is the error... but:

configure:1688: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:1691: gcc conftest.c >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

gcc compiles the conftest.c (just a test). And then the configure script demands the standard output "crt1.o". Now since it isn't there, the thing might not work correctly.

Now there are several possibilities:

gcc is not allowed to write to /usr/bin (maybe because it is not run with root rights)
the config script is setup wrong (try a manual setup with the sources):

1. cd into the source directory.

2. Run ./autogen.sh to setup the environment (you need the standard
autoconf tools to do so).

3. Continue with the following instructions...

4. Run ./configure, with some options if you wish. The standard
options are usually documented in the INSTALL file (or something similar).
The usually only interesting one is the --prefix=/where/you/want/it/installed.

5. Do "make".

6. Do "make install", possibly as root if the destination permissions
require that.

... and maybe there are other reasons which I yet did not think about...
Old 2007-09-07, 04:49   Link #176
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

Finally 7.10 Alpha 5 can be installed on my FZ180. Difference is day and night. Now I truly enjoy my laptop uses!
wnmnkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 05:38   Link #177
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
Finally 7.10 Alpha 5 can be installed on my FZ180. Difference is day and night. Now I truly enjoy my laptop uses!
What would you consider to be the main benefits of it over 7.04 please?
Old 2007-09-07, 06:03   Link #178
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Hey, I just found a problem with the latest Linux kernel patch (last week, IIRC)... It seems it broke my networking. My modem is a Webstar DPC2100 and it just won't work at all under Ubuntu. I tried disabling my firewall (lokkit) and using the root account, but it didn't work. Initially I thought it was a problem with my ISP or with my modem (since the reboot needed to finally use the patched kernel was due to a blackout), but I'm now typing this from the Live CD and the thing works like it always has. How the hell do I unpatch my kernel with zero networking and no other PC around? Is a reinstall my only choice?

Old 2007-09-07, 06:31   Link #179
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

When you get the GRUB boot screen, hit return. You should see your older kernel available as well. On my daughter's Feisty laptop there's actually about six kernels, three flavors of the current one and three flavors of the previous one. Just select the older kernel and hit return to boot it.

If this doesn't work, see if the older kernel is still in /boot. If so, edit grub.conf and add a stanza that invokes the older kernel. Just mimic the one for the new kernel. Make sure the default= parameter points to the older kernel; the stanzas are numbered from top to bottom starting with zero.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-09-07 at 20:17.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 19:42   Link #180
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Well, I just tried booting into a previous kernel and it doesn't work either. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Looks like Azureus' DHT system is able to connect, but seems like I can't get any TCP/IP connections at all

(BTW, another thing, how do I mount a USB stick while on the Live CD interface? It won't let me do it when I select "Mount").

Tags
linux, ubuntu