AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-09-04, 11:07   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm seriously considering writing Vista Home 64-bit off and punching the money out for an OEM XP Pro 64-bit. Mostly, its the UAC and the DRM crap that irritate me (along with the hoggy nature of the OS).

But I think ya'll are misunderstanding me --- my ROSE Online is running fine now. It only needed "compatibility mode" OFF and "run as Admin" ON.
It was nines that was having trouble getting past gameguard. I was just curious about the product.
Old 2008-09-04, 17:04   Link #22
zSolaris
Don't forget your lunch!

Send a message via MSN to zSolaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm seriously considering writing Vista Home 64-bit off and punching the money out for an OEM XP Pro 64-bit. Mostly, its the UAC and the DRM crap that irritate me (along with the hoggy nature of the OS).

But I think ya'll are misunderstanding me --- my ROSE Online is running fine now. It only needed "compatibility mode" OFF and "run as Admin" ON.
It was nines that was having trouble getting past gameguard. I was just curious about the product.
you running Basic or Premium?
zSolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 00:02   Link #23
Makku
Suredeath Hellman

Ugh, and just when I got back to school... I'd really like to try this game out, since I've been interested in it for a while, but I can't afford to waste any more time than I already do on the computer. I might start playing it on the weekends, but that feels kind of like a waste...
Makku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 01:23   Link #24
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Haha, i remember playing R.O.S.E years (?) ago, together with FlyFF and Priston Tale.

Behold, my beautiful self!
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 18:29   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSolaris View Post
you running Basic or Premium?
My game machine (i.e. used only for games so they won't fsck up my real work machine) is running Vista Home (the $98 OEM cheapie) 64-bit model.

So far, its been "not terrible" though the UAC is a piece of sh*t as far as being actually useful (mostly it just keeps anything nasty from running as admin but then.... I have other security tools that also do that). I can't quite convince it that once I tell it some executables are okay, it should stop whining at me everytime I start one of them. Mostly its laying in wait for the possibly imaginary DirectX10 games.....

Of course, there's not a lot of excuse for any game to need to run as admin either....

My work machine is running XP (it ran win2K til a mobo hardware failure and I had an extra copy of XP around) and I have a laptop I run win2K on. And I have a server and an old laptop I got in barter that both run Ubuntu.

Rose Online review update: this game is actually quite fun (if I smile more than half the time while playing, its fun). I have a fire mage in training (not quite lvl 20) and am deciding on character #2. They really make you feel bad about deleting a character, they sit there and bawl for like 24 hrs.

Found my first bugged quest (Lost Children, Cheney doesn't play) and, dammitall, why do these asian games not GET that people need an IGNORE feature if they aren't going to police the towns for script-chat-spammers selling gold warez? That seems to be a running problem in the last 3 games I've researched.

The music is snappy.. .but gets pretty old since each piece is zone-wide it seems. I may see if I can turn it off and run my own music without messing the audio up.

Not finding as much conversation as I thought based on the reports of "community" -- I have found 4 or 5 folks that actually chat, help out, and can make intelligible sentences. Mostly, the only problem children I've encountered are the "lead me by the nose and tell me everything and give me stuff for free" morons and there's only been a few of those. The only real annoyance is that people will ask legit questions and get totally ignored. *I* end up answering just so they don't think the zone is entirely sociopathic. I figure this atmosphere changes once you leave the total beginner/newb/testoffire zones though.

The initial spec trees seem fairly limited but I read there's more specialization further along. Since I'm trying muse (their oddly used word for magical/healing type girl, um, user)... it seems a bit odd Charm/charisma isn't more important and that STR is.... but so it goes.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-09-05 at 18:41.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 06:59   Link #26
zSolaris
Don't forget your lunch!

Quote:
My game machine (i.e. used only for games so they won't fsck up my real work machine) is running Vista Home (the $98 OEM cheapie) 64-bit model.

Rose Online review update: this game is actually quite fun (if I smile more than half the time while playing, its fun). I have a fire mage in training (not quite lvl 20) and am deciding on character #2. They really make you feel bad about deleting a character, they sit there and bawl for like 24 hrs.

Found my first bugged quest (Lost Children, Cheney doesn't play) and, dammitall, why do these asian games not GET that people need an IGNORE feature if they aren't going to police the towns for script-chat-spammers selling gold warez? That seems to be a running problem in the last 3 games I've researched.

The music is snappy.. .but gets pretty old since each piece is zone-wide it seems. I may see if I can turn it off and run my own music without messing the audio up.

Not finding as much conversation as I thought based on the reports of "community" -- I have found 4 or 5 folks that actually chat, help out, and can make intelligible sentences. Mostly, the only problem children I've encountered are the "lead me by the nose and tell me everything and give me stuff for free" morons and there's only been a few of those. The only real annoyance is that people will ask legit questions and get totally ignored. *I* end up answering just so they don't think the zone is entirely sociopathic. I figure this atmosphere changes once you leave the total beginner/newb/testoffire zones though.

The initial spec trees seem fairly limited but I read there's more specialization further along. Since I'm trying muse (their oddly used word for magical/healing type girl, um, user)... it seems a bit odd Charm/charisma isn't more important and that STR is.... but so it goes.
1. The cheapo version of Vista is exactly that...cheapo (from what I've seen at least) and isn't much more than XP with a shiny skin and is CPU eating.

2. I generally play my own music. No problems so far.

3. The number of people playing the game has shrunk considerably (I mean, if your servers barely hit "Normal" on the peak hours of the day...you know something has happened to the community) so the number of talkers (in the lower levels at least) has as well.

4. There is a lot of specialization later on. STR is only important to Staff Muses. Most Muses choose to go wand + magical item which renders STR useless. Charm, I believe, is only useful for Dealers who can influence the prices of a NPC (lower for what your buying, higher for what your selling) based on Charm and a passive skill they learn.
Old 2008-09-06, 12:30   Link #27
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
lol I remember playing Rose I got all the way up to lvl 170 then quit due to being bored never less its a fun game and for hax win in pvp

Just be a knight or a Mage xD

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Ryu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 17:22   Link #28
zSolaris
Don't forget your lunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taku-kun View Post
lol I remember playing Rose I got all the way up to lvl 170 then quit due to being bored never less its a fun game and for hax win in pvp

Just be a knight or a Mage xD
Yeah. Dealers and Hawkers get outdamaged so badly in the later levels.
Old 2008-09-09, 12:11   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay.... it'd be nice if they'd announce over the system that it was going down instead of just jerking the plug without warning. That's something almost everyone does.
Old 2008-09-16, 10:56   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Update:

Got up for breakfast, thought I'd play a bit of ROSE.

..... the client can't find the website, gameguard can't find the update server.

Go to the forums .... web server can't connect. Go to the website... no response.

Did someone kick the Main Plug or something? I don't think I've seen such a total downage before.

ah well, I guess its Spore for breakfast.
Old 2008-09-16, 12:54   Link #31
eMpTy265
<unranked>

Quote:
Update:

Got up for breakfast, thought I'd play a bit of ROSE.

..... the client can't find the website, gameguard can't find the update server.

Go to the forums .... web server can't connect. Go to the website... no response.

Did someone kick the Main Plug or something? I don't think I've seen such a total downage before.

ah well, I guess its Spore for breakfast.
I think it's the fact that they're running early extended maintenance...

Their website's up, and logging in seems normal.

If gameguard doesn't update, you might want to edit the 'hosts' file under:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Just delete the gameguard related lines, and it should fix it.

(Or you could simply delete the entire file, but there are more risks involved...)
eMpTy265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 16:29   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nah... it just seems that when they took their server down they also took their website services down. Taking the web server completely down along with the game server is just a bizarre way to do things. I was out of town and missed seeing the extended maintenance notice before it happened.

Aye, both the web server and the game server are up now. I was considering getting some item mall points. Note, the Paypal connection uses https (as it should) ... but it doesn't appear the credit card pay option ever uses https. They may have secure elements on the page but that really isn't a very cool way to handle credit card data.

I used the paypal option and filed a nit with them about the credit card option not showing as https or encrypted.
Old 2008-09-20, 15:25   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So far, after testing ROSE for the last couple of weeks:

Downers:
1) Their chat tool is annoying. I'm constantly sending types to the wrong channel. (on the other hand, AoC's chat tool was almost as broken)
2) The early level quests involve far too much "out and back" ... don't send me out for 50 animal skins and THEN say... "oh I need 10 skulls too". That's a lame timesink method. Its easier to disguise that with chained questing from multiple NPCs.
3) Lack of in-game reporting, lack of system messages warning of shutdowns.
4) Paypal takes 3 days to credit for item mall points but their credit card webpages don't show as encrypted (HTTPS).
5) Lack of facial expressions with emotes really is disappointing from a social standpoint. It just looks very strange to be "crying" with that fixed expression while the body wails about.

Uppers:
1) The graphics are delightful and don't wreak havoc with older systems.
2) The class/skill systems aren't groundbreaking but aren't a messy stew either.
3) The storyline quest and the graphics combine to give a rather nice "I'm in an anime" feel.
4) *LOVE* the steampunkery and carts, airships, and stuff.
5) Every time I start a new character I see improvements in the game -- the developers are doing lots of work though I wish they'd address the items above.
6) Actually... I love the way they reduce rerolls by having the deleted character bawl their eyes out in the waiting room for 24 hrs. Choose your names and looks wisely