AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-03, 19:48   Link #101
defki

Yeah region lock...I doubt it but I don't trust Atlus anymore.

Still can't believe that I have to worry about this region lock garbage on region free consoles. Thanks for nothing Atlus/Index.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 01:16   Link #102
cronnoponno

The actual problem:

Amazon is near naked, but the male Knight is completely covered up, both are in melee-heavy situations but the male warrior needs to be covered up but the female warrior doesn't.

If feminists really wanted an issue, that is where the issue lies, not in some tit-mage oversized knockers.

Also

Why do people keep saying the Dwarf is a power Fantasy? Check it, he's a fucking midget with undersized hammers, REAL power Fantasy there, I'm sure plenty of guys want to be a horribly undersized-brute with tiny little hammers as weapons. I'm trying to actually give a good look on just what qualifies something as a male power Fantasy, but surely ''he has muscles derp'' is not the deciding factor here.

I also think there's a problem if the only thing we can see in exaggerated sexualized art(as crappy as it looks) is the cliched ''teenager'' stance. Everything we don't like has to be teenagers doesn't it, teens teens children children.

I kinda stopped caring about the art, I'll cry more about it and just try the game, it seems like the type of game that you'd get bored of after a couple of days anyway, and the style is clearly trying it's very best to be exaggerated, and I doubt they were thinking ''This shit is the sexiest shit ever, this will carry our sales!''.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 08:07   Link #103
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I'm pretty sure this is an excuse but I always assumed Amazons were lightning bruisers. Sure she may have done better with more armor. But I don't think it should be on the scale of the warrior. I don't think the Amazon was meant to tank.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 08:13   Link #104
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Yeah region lock...I doubt it but I don't trust Atlus anymore.

Still can't believe that I have to worry about this region lock garbage on region free consoles. Thanks for nothing Atlus/Index.
isnt that the only region lock atlus game is P4A

I mean it just one occasion

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 14:03   Link #105
xizro345
King's Justice

They also removed the JP track from the BD (only the BD, not the DVD) of the P4 anime released in NA. So I'm expecting another "surprise" again. More like, Atlus demanded it removed (since they weren't the ones publishing it).
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 17:25   Link #106
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
They also removed the JP track from the BD (only the BD, not the DVD) of the P4 anime released in NA. So I'm expecting another "surprise" again. More like, Atlus demanded it removed (since they weren't the ones publishing it).
That was more Aniplex's fault because Sentai planned on releasing the Persona 4 BD around a month AFTER the Japanese released theirs where it usually have been at least 6 months leeway.
Old 2013-05-05, 18:44   Link #107
Ermes Marana

Huh. I consider Borderlands, Duke Nukem, Starcraft, and tons of other games to be sexist and objectifying.

But Dragon's Crown looks really good. It's cartoonish like Jessica Rabbit was, and seems to treat the women with respect. It's not very sexy, but still looks quite nice.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 19:11   Link #108
defki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
isnt that the only region lock atlus game is P4A

I mean it just one occasion
I don't care that it's only P4A. One occasion is one too much. Nothing stopping them from doing the same garbage again. I doubt it but I won't trust Atlus again.
Old 2013-05-05, 19:14   Link #109
Shadow5YA

I'd be more worried about the lack of dual audio or original Japanese voices in a niche game than the region locking, because dub only is something Atlus normally does.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 19:34   Link #110
defki

I am not expecting JP audio. Atlus normally never does this. No Asami Imai for me I'm afraid :/
Old 2013-05-05, 19:58   Link #111
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
The actual problem:

Amazon is near naked, but the male Knight is completely covered up, both are in melee-heavy situations but the male warrior needs to be covered up but the female warrior doesn't.

If feminists really wanted an issue, that is where the issue lies, not in some tit-mage oversized knockers.
Just for the record, this is something Torchlight 2 is pretty decent about, as you can see from the armor galleries within this site (it's in French, but easy enough to browse). What 'fanservice' is present (including one and precisely one instance of partial nudity) is, as an acquaintance of mine put it, "'National Geographic' style nudity rather than sexual or exploitative in any way."

More on topic: I honestly can see no good argument for gamers to not have a choice between dubbing and subtitles in their games. In the same vein, region locking is a concept that has long outlived any use it might have had.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 22:56   Link #112
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
That was more Aniplex's fault because Sentai planned on releasing the Persona 4 BD around a month AFTER the Japanese released theirs where it usually have been at least 6 months leeway.
There is no "fault". It was protectionism at its finest (since it's Atlus and Index that hold the final approval in this kind of things). That's why I'm not optimistic.
Lack of JP audio is a given, by the way, since people asked.

Last edited by xizro345; 2013-05-05 at 23:15.
Old 2013-05-05, 23:49   Link #113
Key Board
Carbon

the reason why Persona has different regions was to prevent Japanese gamers from importing from the United States to protect domestic sales

They didn't have to worry about this at first, but the as you know the dollar to yen position has weakened
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 12:02   Link #114
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
The actual problem:

I think that the Dragon's Crown analogues are:
Wizard - Elf
Dwarf - Amazon
Fighter - Sorceress

The Dwarf has ridiculous arms, the Amazon has ridiculous legs, the Fighter has ridiculous shoulders, the Sorceress has ridiculous breasts. The Wizard and Elf have relatively normal proportions. I don't think that the female characters come off any worse than the male ones.

In general, I'm pretty sensitive to gender issues, but I can't get very worked up over this one. It'd be one thing if the female characters were unplayable, but not only are they playable, but they're just as prominent as the male ones. Dragon's Crown just seems to be an easy target because it seems to be blatantly sexually objectifying female characters.

On a different note, this controversy has given an awful lot of publicity to Dragon's Crown - far more than Atlus could have ever generated normally. And the best thing is that the people who are turned off by this publicity would probably never have picked it up in the first place. And so it mostly serves as a ton of free advertising. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Vanillaware's best-selling title ever. (Admittedly that's not a high bar to begin with )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
the reason why Persona has different regions was to prevent Japanese gamers from importing from the United States to protect domestic sales

They didn't have to worry about this at first, but the as you know the dollar to yen position has weakened
Persona and the SMT games also don't have any Japanese voice acting as a rule. Persona 4 Arena does, so the chance of reverse importing is much higher.

There's also an ugly justification to region locking. Say that a game like Persona 4 Arena is only expected to generate 50,000 sales for NISA in Europe. If it isn't region locked, then there may be as many as 10,000 import sales before NISA releases it. That's a loss of 20% of sales, and it reduces the value of the license. Do this a few times, and NISA may no longer be interested in publishing Atlus titles in Europe.
Old 2013-05-06, 13:49   Link #115
defki

The reverse importing excuse is bullshit. They didn't want to protect US or EU sales they wanted to protect their JP sales. Index wanted the money and got paranoid about reverse importing because the game was more expensive in JP than in US. All they did was screwing over the EU players because there was zero reason to believe that the sales would have been affected in any significant negative way.
Old 2013-05-06, 13:50   Link #116
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

There's no limit to that kind of questionable practices once enforced. Also, I doubt there's a single justification of region locking.
If it's region free I think I'll go with the JP version, since I don't like the usual Atlus policy.
Old 2013-05-06, 16:08   Link #117
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
The reverse importing excuse is bullshit. They didn't want to protect US or EU sales they wanted to protect their JP sales. Index wanted the money and got paranoid about reverse importing because the game was more expensive in JP than in US. All they did was screwing over the EU players because there was zero reason to believe that the sales would have been affected in any significant negative way.
That's what I said. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

They want to protect domestic Japanese sales. They want to prevent Japanese gamers from importing from the United States.

No, I don't like it either
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 03:09   Link #118
defki

Dragon's Crown: The Game Vita (and PS3) Deserves

In depth impressions of the game by Colin.

Game sounds so ridiculous awesome and deep.
Old 2013-05-08, 03:41   Link #119
kyouray
2D > 3D

These impressions augur something great.
By the way pre-order bonus illustrations in color : http://www.4gamer.net/games/134/G013480/20130508054/
(also available on the official website without watermarks)
edit : they updated the website and added watermarks so I re-uploaded the pictures :
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by kyouray; 2013-05-10 at 10:59.
kyouray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 10:58   Link #120
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Dragon's Crown: The Game Vita (and PS3) Deserves

In depth impressions of the game by Colin.

Game sounds so ridiculous awesome and deep.
level scaling, questings, beautiful character select screen and environments.
August just cant get here fast enough. the more i hear of this game, the more i want it so badly. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
These impressions augur something great.
By the way pre-order bonus illustrations in color : http://www.4gamer.net/games/134/G013480/20130508054/
(also available on the official website without watermarks)
like always, the Elf looks the cutest and prettiest.

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy