AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-05-22, 21:26   Link #21
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Maybe I'm the only English-speaking woman who defends Yosuga no Sora which actually had good plot(minus the omake part) and good characters. Poor YnS got no love among English-speaking anime communities for having on-screen sex scenes especially ones with incest.

Yeah I also noticed most people underestimated Queen's Blade popularity in Japan but that will not going to change the argument.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 21:29   Link #22
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
Maybe I'm the only English-speaking woman who defends Yosuga no Sora which actually had good plot(minus the omake part) and good characters. Poor YnS got no love among English-speaking anime communities for having on-screen sex scenes especially ones with incest.
The plot in Yosuga no Sora is pretty average though for an eroge. When i played it a few years ago, i would have dropped if it weren't for Sora.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 21:31   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Just so you know, I don't personally consider Yosuga no Sora Ecchi. So please don't take my comments on ecchi as a reflection of my take on Yosuga no Sora. I do not consider Yosuga no Sora's plot paper-thin. Some of its arcs have pretty good plots and interesting characterization, imo.
Old 2013-05-22, 21:51   Link #24
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just so you know, I don't personally consider Yosuga no Sora Ecchi. So please don't take my comments on ecchi as a reflection of my take on Yosuga no Sora. I do not consider Yosuga no Sora's plot paper-thin. Some of its arcs have pretty good plots and interesting characterization, imo.
Is it the plot that makes you think it's something other than ecchi, or is it the fact it's not low brow in general?

To me, the ecchi label carries an extremely heavy "low brow" connotation that's not typically included in the formal definition. And that connotation has a lot to do with why it's considered "the lowest genre" by many.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 21:58   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Is it the plot that makes you think it's something other than ecchi, or is it the fact it's not low brow in general?
That's a good question. Maybe the lack of low brow in general has more to do with my assessment there than anything else. Yosuga no Sora just doesn't have that ecchi vibe to me. Yosuga no Sora has a fair bit of sexual content, but much of it (probably even most of it) is actual, consensual sex scenes. And one thing I liked is how the female half of the sex scene is often the aggressor in them.
Old 2013-05-22, 22:00   Link #26
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
I guess "ecchi" is one of those things that people love and hate at the same time; I know a lot of people who like ecchi (including me), but at the same time, we all know these shows are total crap...and we pretty much watch them for fanservice only and not plot. Also, hentai is more straight in your face while ecchi is just...teasing. (And heck, I do want at least one ecchi fanservice show a season, but I certainly don't want a bunch of them in one season.)

The cosplay thing tho...that's just rude, to be honest. Who cares what series it's from as long as it looks good?

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:01   Link #27
hyl
reading #hikaributts

For me YnS goes beyond what most ecchi fanservice animes do and i don't think you can lump them together.
Old 2013-05-22, 22:04   Link #28
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
For me YnS goes beyond what most ecchi fanservice animes do and i don't think you can lump them together.
I want to see more shows like YnS; outright sex without going to the H-level, while still bringing a good plot to make things worthwhile.

Quote:

Yeah I also noticed most people underestimated Queen's Blade popularity in Japan but that will not going to change the argument.
Oh, there's several English-speaking women I know that are huge YnS fans...

Old 2013-05-22, 22:06   Link #29
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
And this is why I enjoyed Mashiro Iro Symphony and to a lesser extent both seasons of the first Da Capo series. The former had ecchi but the overall mood of the series wasn't as bombastic as most of its kin. The latter eased up on the gratuity when both shows started becoming serious.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:08   Link #30
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yosuga no Sora has moe and a very attractive guy. It's not too surprising the appeal is a bit wider than your typical ecchi series. I'm not too keen on all the sex scenes though; it was more comedy than anything else.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:11   Link #31
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
IIRC mashiro had sex scenes too tho it was off screen.

Talking the show not the character from sakurasou.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:15   Link #32
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Meh, I am a little confused now. Are we talking about shows that simply have some ecchi fanservice or shows that primarily focus on them?

Mashifoni was IMO more a romance with some drama and some minor amount of ecchi fanservice, while Yosuga no Sora was probably more a drama with romance and pretty much H-scenes.
Both shows don't focus on those elements, unlike to love Ru or queens blade
Old 2013-05-22, 22:22   Link #33
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

To be honest for ecchi series I would be fine with it if they went beyond the ecchi fanservice.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:23   Link #34
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

As much as I'm not really the demographic for Ecchi anime, I do have to say, the people are rather quick to dismiss it right from the beginning. Remember the B Gata H Kei first impression at ANN and in the end, it got a very good review. And whatever people say something bad about the series I like, I don't even bother correcting the person. Some anime with ecchi content are usually very satirical, I don't even know why the people needs to take it so serious. And the saddest thing is quite old anime like Love Hina and Tenjou Tenge get free pass because they are already established as the golden anime status or whatever.

People seems to be kind of biased when it comes to assessing anime they don't like, in turn I can't take their words seriously at all. At worse case, they make me roll my eyes.
Old 2013-05-22, 22:27   Link #35
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

B Gata is one of those cases where I think the overwhelming nature of the term's low brow connotation is unfortunate. Certainly, B Gata is low brow, but it's also smartly satirical, and it kind of blows my mind that there are people who didn't pick that up right at the start. Inukami is another example of an ecchi show that's indeed low brow but smarter than the term usually gets credit for.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:28   Link #36
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
People seems to be kind of biased when it comes to assessing anime they don't like, in turn I can't take their words seriously at all. At worse case, they make me roll my eyes.
But that's human nature. We like to judge things by their cover...

Old 2013-05-22, 22:39   Link #37
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Meh, I am a little confused now. Are we talking about shows that simply have some ecchi fanservice or shows that primarily focus on them?
Both at the same time. Da Capo started as the latter and then became the former which was my reason for bringing it up.

A manga example would be Yubisaki Milk Tea. Can a series where the story is about sexuality and openly depicts it still be considered ecchi?
GANBARIMASU
Old 2013-05-22, 22:41   Link #38
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Da capo 3 had alot more fanservice than usual , probably because it was originally an all ages game (not counting the X-rated version that is released next week)
Old 2013-05-22, 22:43   Link #39
Akito Kinomoto

I'm talking about the first two seasons of the original Da Capo, not II or III.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2013-05-22, 22:54   Link #40
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
But that's human nature. We like to judge things by their cover...
And I'm certainly guilty of that. What makes me tick is that they have to complain outright about it without giving it much chance. This is the reason I despise mob mentality where one person dislikes ecchi content in certain anime, and a few other people joins in the hate without not knowing the reason behind it. Personally, I'd prefer in most case to not say anything.

There are a few anime with ecchi content I can think of that were actually very damn good but for some reason received an average reception had to stop only at one cour when there were enough material for one more.