AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Old 2006-04-08, 01:14   Link #21
AmamiYui

Lunar has picked this up it seems and the first ep is out from them. This should be moved to the proper forum now, and can't wait to hear Maaya Sakamoto in this.
AmamiYui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 03:21   Link #22
Erroll

Now that I've seen the first sub I'm so in love with this! I was giggling from beginning to end. Just marvelous. The things that made me giggling the most.
Spoiler:
One ep and I'm already dying for more.
Erroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 03:28   Link #23
domino
デレデレ

Wow, that episode was awesome. This show really exceeded my expectations. The characters are all interesting right from the start, the animation is great, and it's so funny!! Bahaha, the blonde guy is hilarious. The main character is adorable, too!

Definately my favorite anime of the year so far. Looking forward to more. Thanks, Lunar!
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 03:59   Link #24
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

hee hee

Spoiler:
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 04:32   Link #25
DrewGSR

LMAO this show is friken awsome and funny at the same time. It had me on the ground. The plot is friken genuis, its liek a bunch of guys taht man whore themselves to the girls in the school lol. I'm totally going watch this show. Also each characters specialty is hilarous.

Manwhores FTW!!!
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 06:19   Link #26
ladida

Ouran High Sch is the best!! The tone of the show is just right, with a good mix of comedy+drama+bishies+whatever. Looks like BONES is putting in 110% with their first shoujo endeavour.

ALso, anybody else noticed the Shoujo Kakumei Utena feel at some points in the show? Those frickin roses, the opening shot of the clock tower against the sky, that lovely scene with Haruhi and Tamaki wading in the fountain... Hmm, from the credits it looks like the person who did the animation concept for Ouran also worked on Utena. Not that the similarity is HUGE, and in fact it isn't, but I'm sure the composition/style of some of the shots will strike a chord with SKU fans.

Now, time to catch up on the manga!!
ladida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 06:41   Link #27
wao
OK.

Wow! I was quite surprised by the episode - it was very well done, even though it wasn't spectacular and deep like Utena, it wasn't meant to be, and instead has really humorous elements of it... the freaking roses! And the slightly whimsical and nonsensical setting... the best thing about this show is how it takes all the silliness in its stride and makes it all feel perfectly natural, and most importantly, really funny. I was really laughing through this show, I never thought I'd find it funny!

Spoiler for Lots of fangirling!!11oneone:

Crap, I've gone completely into fangirl mode! There is no salvation for me! But this first ep was so hilarious and well-done that I'm definitely watching this right to the end, just to see what'll happen - and for the laughs.

If the show keeps up this quality it'll have a notable position in my head as one of the very few shoujo things I have watched, and enjoyed immensely.

oh, and as a last note - I was very surprised by Maaya Sakamoto's voice acting. It sounded COMPLETELY different from what she's done! She almost sounded like Houko Kuwashima if you ask me. And I loved it!
Old 2006-04-08, 08:50   Link #28
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Well, Utena's influence was very prevalent. Apart from the obvious (Yoji Enokido as a scriptwriter and Takuya Igarashi being one of Ikuni's proteges from Sailor Moon), we've had a lot of similar stuff:

- Twirling roses is also pretty obvious.
- The framing of shots is classic Utena
- The scene with the shadows by the window is clasic Utena, once again.
- The arrows also scream "Yeah, we came from SKU"
- The school reminds me of Ohtori.
- The topical gender switch. From the Host club fulfilling traditional female roles in anime (be cute and sattisfy the aesthetics of another gender) and Haruhi turning out to be a girl.

It's not like they are specifically hinting to us that they are trying to spoof or emulate Utena, however. What I think is going on is that the storyboarder (Takuya Igarashi, who is also the director), who is directly responsible for such scene layouts, learned his stuff in "The Ikuhara School of Animation Thought", so now he unconsciously continues Ikuni's style.

I never saw Doremi, but it would be interesting to see if any of Ikuhara's influence also made its way in there...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 10:03   Link #29
acidflower

Wow!! I'm so glad I gave Ouran High School Host club a try! Now, it's probably (IMO) one of the best series of this season so far. It had be grinning like an idiot from beginning to end!! =D I loved the captions during it, it was quite funny. Also, I loved the ending song. It was just awesome. :O I'll definately be continuing to watch this!!!! \o/ Ouran High school Host club kicks ass!
acidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 10:46   Link #30
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
oh, and as a last note - I was very surprised by Maaya Sakamoto's voice acting. It sounded COMPLETELY different from what she's done! She almost sounded like Houko Kuwashima if you ask me. And I loved it!
Ok, I am taking this just to see if this is so. The Captain is IMO one of the best character VA's to appear in the last 10 years due to sheer awesomeness of range. To be compared to that is something I'd have to see for myself
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 10:54   Link #31
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Oh my God! I am definately hyper-ventilating!!!! Lunar one of my favorite sub-group just subbed one of the cutest anime ever! Yes!!!
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 11:28   Link #32
Ramen89

Bones have done it again, this episode was awesome, definetly a contender for the best show of the season allready.
Ramen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 12:23   Link #33
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I was really suprised by how much I enjoyed this since I'm such an obnoxious fan of the manga. Haruhi is such a laid back shoujo heroine..so refreshing!
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 12:41   Link #34
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Well the fact that Haruhi smiled was a huge improvement over her drone like appearance in the manga.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 16:11   Link #35
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
The first episode left me with a huge silly grin on my face.

Great stuff but I've not read the manga and I really wonder, now the secret is out, if the series can really maintain the pace.

However Ep1 was good enough to stand alone!

Last edited by dan88; 2006-04-08 at 16:25.
dan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 17:04   Link #36
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Really funny stuff and the animation quality is top notch, many people are comparing this with a show called Utena, if they are similar i think i will have to watch Utena too.

I will be watching this series, just wondering how the story will develop, hope we just keep getting comedic situations!
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 17:51   Link #37
Zappster

Not a bad show, which is surprising since on paper it sounded like exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't like. However good comedy always wins me over and this had it in spades. Funny but not as funny as the first episode of Suzumiya Haruhi for me, but perhaps that's down to the fact that I am not that well versed in the BL genre so I probably didn't pick up on the stuff they were lampooning. Very pleasantly surprised with the first episode overall, perhaps not a show I'll rush to see as soon as it is subbed but I'll be following it all the same.

I know this is a frequently asked question but is there any indication of the number of episodes we are looking at for this series?
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 18:26   Link #38
daemoness
Slave to cuteness

I didn't know Haruhi was a girl till they revealed it, I was surprised! I really like the character design.

Is Honey actually a little kid or a teenager who just didn't age? They said he was brilliant so I'm guessing he was just advanced a bunch of grades?
daemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 18:41   Link #39
termdex

Haruhi's seiyuu is female?

I don't really follow VAs all that much, but I have to say that after I read in other posts that Haruhi's seiyuu was this Sakamoto person I was surprised. While watching the show I just thought it was a standard teenage guy's voice, a choice to help support the male image of the character. Kinda like how sometimes a crossdressing male character will have a female voice to support the female image (Aoi Futaba from You're Under Arrest comes to mind).

Is that typical, for teenage male characters to be played by a female VA?
termdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 18:57   Link #40
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by termdex
Is that typical, for teenage male characters to be played by a female VA?
More than just typical. It's actually rather prevalent.

Unless a male character is supposed to be this manly-man with annoying shounen voice, he is often voiced by a girl. Romi Paku is especially good at playing guys.

The best examples of this are Kenshin and Naruto, who are both voiced by girls.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote