AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-16, 09:36   Link #1261
helois

i know that this request is quite indifferent to the nuclear effects,but i ask for a link with the anime and manga people safe..

i'm so worried..
helois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 09:40   Link #1262
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by helois View Post
i know that this request is quite indifferent to the nuclear effects,but i ask for a link with the anime and manga people safe..

i'm so worried..
This link has info on all the mangakas and other celebs whose safety was confirmed and not confirmed:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?a...Q&f=true&gid=1

EDIT: Having checked it again, it is indeed up to date
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 09:40   Link #1263
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
This charity concert for Japan earthquake was held by Taro Hakase at London Mitsukoshi.

Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 09:54   Link #1264
helois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
This link has info on all the mangakas and other celebs whose safety was confirmed and not confirmed:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?a...Q&f=true&gid=1

EDIT: Having checked it again, it is indeed up to date
thank you vey much...

so what i've heard is true..

Kentario Miura unconfirmed safe..
helois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 09:58   Link #1265
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I'm no nuclear scientist here so I want to pose a question. Is it possible to just completely shut down the nuclear plants and take out all the "nuclear" stuff? I mean if you can destroy everything and start from scratch it's better than people dying.
No. They are shut down automatically when the quake starts, but it takes a long time to cool down. If you want to see the cold shutdown process without any major problems, look at Fukushima Daini. I think they are at cold shutdown for 3 out of their 4 reactors as of now, though I haven't really been keeping track.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 10:04   Link #1266
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Omg , so much unconfirmed mangakas....
Keep strong in mind and soul japanese people...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 11:19   Link #1267
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

IAEA head says core damage at units 1-3 of Japan's quake-hit nuclear plant confirmed, situation very serious via Reuters

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 11:27   Link #1268
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah saw it too and lot of people say it too...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 12:08   Link #1269
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
Spoiler for .:

While preparations had been underway, the Defense Ministry has decided to hold off on sending helicopters up into the air to drop water down on the reactors in an attempt to cool them off. It is believed that prohibitively high amounts of radiation in the vicinity of the power plant is the main reason behind this change of heart.
This is exactly what I don't like about people who just studied the technical side of nuclear power plants. They trivialize how radiation affects health. Some of them surely know that not just the quantity of radiation is a factor but also the quality (alpha, beta gamma rays... heavy vs. light isotopes... isotopes that remain very long in biological organisms after they came into the organsim by air, water or food).

He is very good with the technical side of the incident, but the trivialized health effects reduce the overall quality of the analysis. The view of the health risk ends with an analysis of short time exposures, but the long term effects do not seem to care. (Now I am not saying that Tokyo is in the risk zone... but as I already mentioned in one of my first comments... if I was living near the reactor, I'ld move away).

But its their profession, and if they are too negative about it, they are without work tomorrow. So there is a natural interest to trivialize the health risks I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
CNN was just reporting that Japanese officials believe the containment vessel has been breached on Reactor #3. Anyone know exactly what this means and what are the repercussions?
There are 2 containment vessels, the primary and the secondary and than there is the reactor pressure vessel.

If at least one of the three is okay, there is no reason to be overly concerned. Since there are still two containments that are structurally intact and able to keep the core's material/radiation inside (unless they need to be vented again).
Old 2011-03-16, 12:16   Link #1270
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
No. They are shut down automatically when the quake starts, but it takes a long time to cool down. If you want to see the cold shutdown process without any major problems, look at Fukushima Daini. I think they are at cold shutdown for 3 out of their 4 reactors as of now, though I haven't really been keeping track.
What would happen if there was a meltdown? Isn't it possible for the government to tell the people to evacuate 10000km from the area and just let it meltdown?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 12:26   Link #1271
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
What would happen if there was a meltdown? Isn't it possible for the government to tell the people to evacuate 10000km from the area and just let it meltdown?
The circumference of the earth is 40,000 km, so... no.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 12:26   Link #1272
bayoab

Quote:
I don't remember if it was here but this nytimes article explains it.

The problem with letting it meltdown is that nobody knows what the final result will actually be, despite all the models. You may get the best case scenario where it doesn't leave the containment or it might actually break the containment somehow and make the vicinity uninhabitable for years to come.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 12:29   Link #1273
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Country isn't big enough to move away that far. Meltdown, if it got out of the reactor's shielding, might contaminate any ground water in the area and the radiation would make the region uninhabitable for a long time (area I can't say since I have no clue how much radiation that would put out). Bascially it gets away from them into the soil were they can't contain it or suppess it easily.

Basic thing is to not have it meltdown to that point. Japan has limited amounts of space as it is. They need all the land they can get and having a several square kilometer region off limits for a few generations or more is not something they can afford.
Old 2011-03-16, 12:37   Link #1274
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just curious is it possible to built Nuke plants underground?
Old 2011-03-16, 12:53   Link #1275
Green²
It's bacon!

"1738: The US is advising its citizens living within 80km (50 miles) of Fukushima to evacuate or stay indoors."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Edit:

"UK advising British nationals in Tokyo and to the north of Tokyo to consider leaving the area"
http://twitter.com/Reuters

Last edited by Green²; 2011-03-16 at 13:11.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 12:54   Link #1276
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
While it was technically possible it would be very expensive (building costs and operation costs) it would also take away some of the safety options... like for example passive coolers like huge evaporators. I am also not sure if you can design a quake resistant underground complex that can house a 2-4GW nuclear power plant. It would certainly be a death trap in the Fukushima incident, since the energy of explosions and the released radiation cannot escape.
So, basically I think it is a bad idea.
Old 2011-03-16, 12:55   Link #1277
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Sure, but that doesn't really help in the case of a meltdown.

In fact it would just make it harder to contain the nuclear material if it was all escaping deep into the Earth.

Now if you really want a crazy idea, what you should do is build all nuclear power plants with emergency rocket boosters.

That way, in the case of a possible meltdown, you just fire up the rockets and shoot the entire thing into orbit. If you're nervous about it up in orbit you can also attach more rockets later and blast it out into the sun.

The downside of keeping all that highly flammable rocket fuel next to a nuclear reactor is nothing to be concerned about, obviously.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 13:00   Link #1278
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
I was curious about that too, I am glad that I work with Navy Sub Officers, they say that it is possible that you can have a plant underground as long you can find a way to cool it down (like being close to Body of Water or natural Vent system).
Old 2011-03-16, 13:00   Link #1279
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Some articles postulated about locating them below the ground:
http://caltecheql.library.caltech.edu/15/
http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Digital-L...ng=en&id=97482
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1193024

The biggest hurdle in building such power plants isn't just the considerable amount of protection needed to ensure that nothing leaks out in case of an accident, but the adverse psychological effects it may bring to the general public: no one wants to discover that the ground below his home has a nuke plant.
Old 2011-03-16, 13:03   Link #1280
Slice of Life
eyewitness

If you want to get rich then invent a mechanism that stops an ongoing meltdown until after the next elections.

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami