AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 61 52.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 35.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 8.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.71%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.85%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-01, 14:14   Link #21
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 09 was a heart destroyer, though i love how Kyoani are expressing Makoto's story into something beautiful. You can already see from the preview for the next episode that it'll be the end - it'll be interesting to see what form the show takes after her path has finished.

Hearing Kaze wo Matta Hi was the final destruction of my heart in this episode.
Old 2006-12-01, 14:16   Link #22
Julius Firefocht

I went teary-eyed at parts of this episode. Makoto is my favourite character and it just hurts to see what she is going through. It's 20 minutes of very emotionally painful animation.

Makes me wonder if I can survive next week. Better get the tissue cartons ready.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-12-01, 15:31   Link #23
Mephisto2k
anime4life

Makoto is my favourite too. This episode was just too good and sad. Now i remember this story arc from the old kanon anime again. But (somehow luckyly) i forgot how it turned out, while i know she will disappear for sure. Its so sad and im sure in the new anime in ep10 it will be even more sad.
Julius gotta get a tissue box for me too.
I hope I won't die from my heart getting torn into peaces right within my chest while watching ep10. ;_;
Old 2006-12-01, 15:58   Link #24
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Very, very well done. So soft and subtle and sad. Seeing Yuuichi lose his sarcastic edge is nice. Too bad it takes such sadness. His relationship with Makoto is now such a thrill. Talk about "sad girls in snow."

Unlike Zaris, I didn't see any inconsistencies in the progress of her decline. And 14-year-old girls think about marriage. Especially, I imagine, if they are about to die. That part just ripped my heart out.

I did see a little simplification of the animation, but not to bring it down to the level of almost any other show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-12-01, 16:03   Link #25
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
as a side note, do you mean the "oedipe complex" for your psychology term?
Yeah, that's what houkoholic was going for. But Oedipus Complex is a psychological concept for boys wanting the exclusive love of their mothers. The condition for girls wanting it of their fathers is the Electra Complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic
Spoiler for response to my earlier gripe:
Yeah, I can clearly visualize where you're going with these ideas. My arguements were based on taking the words of the characters as serious and literal. I have no qualms with Yuuichi or Nayuki or any other episode. I like how he's changing from the jokester to revealing a more serious and concerning face. The frustrating part is how such a strong connection between the two could have happened. If we're ment to take those circumstances as strong and literal, I thus took the proposal scene literal as well. = |

Spoiler for the circumstances between Yuuichi and Makoto:

What interests me most is how people change over the course of a movie or a TV show. What kind of things can stir a person into doing something they never considered or would never do? These are the things many people watch for because change is evolution, to become better (or worse) than you were before. But I continue to look as Makoto as stagnant in the sense that she was destructive and unaware of her actions in the beginning, and she has become destructive (sort of) and unaware of her actions in the end. She was a burden then (pranks, wasting food, etc.) and she's a burden still.

Part of my frustration also stems from the fact that my hopes weren't entirely satisfied. It would've been nice to have had more scenes in between episode 8 and what resulted in episode 9. Maybe a date. I wanted to hear from Makoto what she felt about him. I wanted to hear it from her that she had changed or has become better than who she was before.

And now it's all too late...or so it seems.
Old 2006-12-01, 16:12   Link #26
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Looks like the anime is starting to switch to serious and dramatic mood. Well, I'm sure there would be some occassional comic relief but I think that it's going to be minimize for the following eps, but who knows no?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-12-01, 16:22   Link #27
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

awful...............horrible,heart-breaking..........I this continue like this I don't know if I will be able to survive the 16 remaining eps.

Makoto slowly loosing her mental capabilities was painful to watch,the scene with Amano was powerfull.The worse for me was when I saw Makoto constantly playing with the bells on yuiichi's bed.I almost cried.
Old 2006-12-01, 16:59   Link #28
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Sigh... this isn't a spoiler per se now, but it is taken from the game itself, at the moment that Yuiichi explains everything to the Minase.

Spoiler for Selection from January 26th, Tuesday (Makoto):

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-12-01, 17:09   Link #29
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hm... imo not the best of episodes. To me it felt slightly rushed - the mental degradation of Makoto happened a bit too fast. But then again they have already stretched the Makoto arc too long imo, so it is sort of time to get it over with. Animation was a bit worse than usual. Of course it was still very good, but not the usual KyoAni.

One thing this episode failed to do completely for me - squeeze any kind of emotions out of my being. Maybe because the ep felt rushed, maybe because Makoto is my least favorite girl of the show, but either way i did not feel sad, tho this ep was obviously intended to be one. I think i felt more sorry for Amano than Makoto The most impactful scene of Makoto was her playing with the bells on her hand - truly animal-like.

The degradation of Makoto to the stage where she can not say anything more than "Auuu" happened too fast, and lost impact because of it imo. (At least for me). SO far this seems pretty far from Air in terms of emotions, but it might be too early to judge. Lets see if "requiem" will pack a punch. (Then again i am most certainly not the most emotional person, and this, coupled with the fact that i kinda dislike Makoto, might be the cause of it)

I could feel for Yuuichi though, and i can understand the situation he is in - he knows what is happening to Makoto, yet he can't do anything about it besides being nice to her as her end slowly(or not so slowly) approaches.

Oh, and to whomever said that it's weird that Makoto proposed to Yuuichi - it's most certainly not. It's obvious that it is not sexual atention she is seeking(no kidding, Sherlock ), but instead it simply expresses her wish to stay by Yuuichi's side. Especially considering the story he just finished reading where at the end 'marriage' = staying together forever, so it is not strange at all for her to say that under the circumstances. (Heck, i was even expecting her to say something like that by the time Yuuichi finished reading, and i have no previous knowlidge about Kanon)

In some ways this ep felt...lacking... or almost boring(perhaps because the events were highly predictable), tho i am fully aware that this might be caused by the excessive amount of Makoto(who is not exactly my favorite character ), tho i highly doubt that, because i do not tend to judge anything from the POV of "my favorite/least favorite character". Everything works for me as long as it all cliks together, but somehow this ep failed to connect. Gave it an 8/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
gah.. my chest already hurts and I haven't even seen the episode yet.
Must... get... some... air... ... o wait, aieee!
I don't think that getting a dose of "Air" is going to solve this particular problem :P Hm...on the other hand - if the symptoms appeared out of worry for Makoto watching Air will definitely fix that part - you will no longer think about Makoto (tho the pain in chest is not guaranteed(sp?) to go away... in fact quite the opposite )
Old 2006-12-01, 17:20   Link #30
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(Don't remind me of that. I was messed up really badly by seeing Haruko-san breaking down emotionally from the last three episodes of AIR... )

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-12-01, 17:20   Link #31
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hm... imo not the best of episodes. To me it felt slightly rushed - the mental degradation of Makoto happened a bit too fast. But then again they have already stretched the Makoto arc too long imo, so it is sort of time to get it over with. Animation was a bit worse than usual. Of course it was still very good, but not the usual KyoAni.

One thing this episode failed to do completely for me - squeeze any kind of emotions out of my being. Maybe because the ep felt rushed, maybe because Makoto is my least favorite girl of the show, but either way i did not feel sad, tho this ep was obviously intended to be one. I think i felt more sorry for Amano than Makoto The most impactful scene of Makoto was her playing with the bells on her hand - truly animal-like.

The degradation of Makoto to the stage where she can not say anything more than "Auuu" happened too fast, and lost impact because of it imo. (At least for me). SO far this seems pretty far from Air in terms of emotions, but it might be too early to judge. Lets see if "requiem" will pack a punch. (Then again i am most certainly not the most emotional person, and this, coupled with the fact that i kinda dislike Makoto, might be the cause of it)

I could feel for Yuuichi though, and i can understand the situation he is in - he knows what is happening to Makoto, yet he can't do anything about it besides being nice to her as her end slowly(or not so slowly) approaches.

Oh, and to whomever said that it's weird that Makoto proposed to Yuuichi - it's most certainly not. It's obvious that it is not sexual atention she is seeking(no kidding, Sherlock ), but instead it simply expresses her wish to stay by Yuuichi's side. Especially considering the story he just finished reading where at the end 'marriage' = staying together forever, so it is not strange at all for her to say that under the circumstances. (Heck, i was even expecting her to say something like that by the time Yuuichi finished reading, and i have no previous knowlidge about Kanon)

In some ways this ep felt...lacking... or almost boring(perhaps because the events were highly predictable), tho i am fully aware that this might be caused by the excessive amount of Makoto(who is not exactly my favorite character ), tho i highly doubt that, because i do not tend to judge anything from the POV of "my favorite/least favorite character". Everything works for me as long as it all cliks together, but somehow this ep failed to connect. Gave it an 8/10.
Wow I felt the exact(to the letter) same way about this ep.
Old 2006-12-01, 17:30   Link #32
New/Old
Old to the New

Heh heh. It's too be expected that not everyone will like a certain girl. That's why there's five. Heh heh. Perhaps another arc will come your way that will suit your taste.

Makoto's a favorite of mine, so that may contribute to my positive behaviour on her arc, although I've been positive about Kanon from the start... Heh heh.
Old 2006-12-01, 17:35   Link #33
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
@ skyfall ~ this is what happens when we are given time to think about what is going to happen...it is the knock on effect from the last ep when makoto's true identity was revealed and we all started to speculate in our heads thus causing a lessen impact on what actually happens in this ep...i still think that its a better idea to start the makoto "degradation" on the same ep that it was announced the truth...

for me i really loved this ep...my heart stopped a couple of time watching makoto going from bad to worse and every time it zooms to her being less human like...ie loosing the ability to speak
yuuichi is turning out to be really caring...which is really good development wise...hes gentle, caring and likable...they way he cares for makoto is her time of most need is displayed brilliantly...such as how you would care for a child...

the "i want to marry you" scene was close to getting me into tears if only the scene lasted a bit longer...i must say that makoto's voice is really heart wrenching at the end >.< 10/10 nevertheless

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-01, 17:46   Link #34
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by New/Old View Post
Heh heh. It's too be expected that not everyone will like a certain girl. That's why there's five. Heh heh. Perhaps another arc will come your way that will suit your taste.
But that's the thing - i never go out screaming "zomg, this show sucks because my girl did not win!" (If i would, i would be screaming in all anime threads except Canvas 2, because my girl never wins ) - I am long used to it and not fanboyish enough(at least i would like to believe so) for it to effect my judgement. I hate Mitsuki(KGNE) with ever cell of my being, yet i actually felt sorry/sad for her at times. I certainly do not hate Makoto(only slightly dislike her), yet this still failed to get emotions out of me. It lacked impact. (tho this obviously is influenced to some degree wether you like the girl or not)
Old 2006-12-01, 17:55   Link #35
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Noooooo! Makoto!!! The poor thing.

I had a pretty *sad* moment the first time I saw the Kanon 2002 and now it's all coming back again. Must not...watch episode 10...must resist....
Old 2006-12-01, 18:09   Link #36
puzk
I'm still a Junior Member

It's great how they included the piano pieces from Kanon/Air Re~Feel. The piano pieces does give some relief from the game OST background music.
Old 2006-12-01, 18:18   Link #37
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The Winter Firework variation though seems to be an original.

Old 2006-12-01, 18:55   Link #38
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Hm... imo not the best of episodes. To me it felt slightly rushed - the mental degradation of Makoto happened a bit too fast. But then again they have already stretched the Makoto arc too long imo, so it is sort of time to get it over with.
Sorry to pick on you, but this is a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? That this ep was rushed, but the Makoto arc has gone too long. I suppose if we're comparative with the pacing of previous episodes, you're right, since they were all snail paced, but personally I think the slow pacing has been one of Kanon's real strengths since it's allowed the characters to be fleshed out through interaction. And I thought this episode was fine. They've already spent an entire episode on her degradation. There's only one thing left for this arc to come to its close, and that will happen in the next ep, it seems.

My issue with this ep is that the bonds between the other people in the family (Nayuki and particularly Akiko) and Makoto still haven't been fleshed out. Personally, I think they're stifeling the potential impact of
Spoiler:
if they don't take the time in the next ep to properly flesh out these relationships and make it feel like a real family, as it was in the 02 series. Next ep preview gives me hope this may happen yet.
Old 2006-12-01, 19:06   Link #39
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
But that's the thing - i never go out screaming "zomg, this show sucks because my girl did not win!" (If i would, i would be screaming in all anime threads except Canvas 2, because my girl never wins ) - I am long used to it and not fanboyish enough(at least i would like to believe so) for it to effect my judgement. I hate Mitsuki(KGNE) with ever cell of my being, yet i actually felt sorry/sad for her at times. I certainly do not hate Makoto(only slightly dislike her), yet this still failed to get emotions out of me. It lacked impact. (tho this obviously is influenced to some degree wether you like the girl or not)
Indeed, indeed. But that some degree may be the breaking point. That thin line that one is so close yet not so close at the same time. A deciding factor, perhaps not. But at all too soon can one sympathise with the person of person of person of persons. What does it all mean, what does it all mean? I can only say that be that it may I shall continue to keep onto my opinion and give a nod of respect to your opinion. A fine one, a fine line of thought at that is what I can say, even though I am of the dissent.
Old 2006-12-01, 19:17   Link #40
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Sorry to pick on you, but this is a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? That this ep was rushed, but the Makoto arc has gone too long.
Im fully aware how that sounds, i thought it is sort of contradicting when i wrote that myself, but was too lazy to think of an alternative way to put it Tho i believe most people get where i am coming from.(at least i would like to hope so :S) I believe they have dragged the Makoto arc a bit too long and now moved up the pace to get it done, but the increased pacing does not bound well with the pacing in the previous episodes.

And in no way am i complaining about the previous slow pacing - i enjoy it in this show to the fullest - it is the best thing to have in an emotional show. Hence my dissapointment with this ep - the emotional parts that are suposed to leave the biggest impact out of the current 9 eps get the rushed pacing, which does not exactly help with the emotional buildup.

But then again they have already stretched the Makoto arc too long imo, so it is sort of time to get it over with - the second half of that statement was meant more among the lines of what i believe the writers might be thinking, not my personal preference (if that made any sense ) - yes, i believe that the Makoto arc has been dragged out a bit too long(im afraid this will leave an impact one sōme other arc(s) ), but i don't think that rushing things will help it either.

...bleh, i gues i should go get some sleep because i am probably not making much sense right about now