AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 7 13.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 23.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 33.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 17.65%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 9.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-10-10, 21:26   Link #41
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
This episode had a pretty good start, but I can't believe they never caught the flaw in the system. If you can immobilize an Inspector and use their weapon against a Enforcer... it just felt too unbelievable that a system so advance could have a simple flaw.
It's not a flaw. The inspector girl was holding the dominator and the bad guy was holding her hand. He didn't fire himself; he made the girl fire.

Also, all this was possible because the guy is invisible to the Sibyl system. As far as Sybil is concerned, only the enforcer and the inspector girl were there, and the enforcer was pointing his dominator to the inspector, which is probably a capital offense. I guess that's why the girl's dominator went to lethal mode.

The question here is why Sibyl can't detect this guy.
Old 2014-10-10, 21:55   Link #42
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

That is the question. Even Makishima was detectable. This guy is plain invisible...

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-10-10, 21:55   Link #43
GDB

Quote:
As far as Sybil is concerned, only the enforcer and the inspector girl were there, and the enforcer was pointing his dominator to the inspector, which is probably a capital offense. I guess that's why the girl's dominator went to lethal mode.
No, he was just that bad of a person (or possibly close enough that the situation pushed him over the edge) to make his crime coefficient that high. Remember, Masaoka and Kougami pointed their guns at Akane multiple times in season 1 and all it did was lock the Dominator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
That is the question. Even Makishima was detectable. This guy is plain invisible...
Either it's something new (hopefully), or he just has a more advanced form of Makishima's helmet that doesn't involve a gaudy helmet.
Old 2014-10-10, 22:02   Link #44
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
It's not a flaw. The inspector girl was holding the dominator and the bad guy was holding her hand. He didn't fire himself; he made the girl fire.

Also, all this was possible because the guy is invisible to the Sibyl system. As far as Sybil is concerned, only the enforcer and the inspector girl were there, and the enforcer was pointing his dominator to the inspector, which is probably a capital offense. I guess that's why the girl's dominator went to lethal mode.

maybe there's a version of that new medication that makes you colorless.
Old 2014-10-10, 22:09   Link #45
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Oh, the villain wasn't visible? I thought he was an inspector, heh. The Sibyl system's aptitude test for becoming a MWPSB inspector must have been written by a drunk man. Every inspector this season appears to be incompetent at best. Tsunemori is basically qualified for everything. Kogami's obsession with crime and punishment got his hue clouded. No wonder they're always short on staff, heh.

Perhaps the villain is from another country?
Old 2014-10-10, 22:43   Link #46
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Quote:

Ok, that makes sense. The system may be built unreliable for a purpose. I don't think a society fully maintained by a Sibyl system is good, but having humans maintain them makes a balance.

On another note, Akane thinking that anyone can be institutionalized or reevaluate someone back in society can backfire. Especially if they are someone who knows the flaw of the system and take advantage of that. The latter would most likely be forced to join with the society or be prisoners. Or they can become a Snowden.
Old 2014-10-10, 23:18   Link #47
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
No, he was just that bad of a person (or possibly close enough that the situation pushed him over the edge) to make his crime coefficient that high. Remember, Masaoka and Kougami pointed their guns at Akane multiple times in season 1 and all it did was lock the Dominator.

Either it's something new (hopefully), or he just has a more advanced form of Makishima's helmet that doesn't involve a gaudy helmet.
I actually thought that the guy did something to affect the Dominator to turn it to lethal mode, because the guy obviously wanted to kill the Enforcer, and it would have been coincidence that this particular Enforcer's level was just at that tipping point and he coincidentally went over at that moment. This guy seemed to be in control over the whole situation, and would 't rely on coincidence, so I'm not so sure about that.

And it's got to be even more than what the helmet did. The helmet only copied the psycho-pass of others. This guy doesn't even give off a psycho-pass at all. It's like he's not even there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Oh, the villain wasn't visible? I thought he was an inspector, heh. The Sibyl system's aptitude test for becoming a MWPSB inspector must have been written by a drunk man. Every inspector this season appears to be incompetent at best. Tsunemori is basically qualified for everything. Kogami's obsession with crime and punishment got his hue clouded. No wonder they're always short on staff, heh.

Perhaps the villain is from another country?
Did anyone notice that all the inspectors in this episode are all female? What happened to all the men? Did all the males die or become enforcers?

And him being from another country is an interesting thought. In the last season, its said that Japan is once again completely isolated from all the rest of the world. Who knows what the other countries have come up with during all this time?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-10-11, 00:59   Link #48
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Well Choe Gu-Son is North Korean and the Dominator could still read him...
Old 2014-10-11, 05:25   Link #49
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
I don't think there's a problem with their aptitude test. Or, at least, I don't think that's the main problem. I think the main problem is that most people in Sibyl Japan steer clear of the police profession because they know it'll force them to deal with criminals and eccentrics on a regular basis. This in turn could easily be a threat to their own mental health. And since Sibyl Japan puts far greater importance on one's mental health/mental stability than on anything else...

The vast majority of smart, self-aware people in Sibyl Japan are going to aim for jobs/professions unlikely to put their mental health/stability in serious jeopardy. Pretty much any job can be stressful at times, of course, but some expose you to more ugliness than most people ever get to see. "Police officer" is one such job.
Old 2014-10-11, 06:05   Link #50
JiCi

To quote TVTropes:

Akane just "took a level in badass" XD
Old 2014-10-11, 06:41   Link #51
azarhal

Quote:
Is he really invisible? We never saw the gun pointed just at him. First, it was pointed to a hologram with a face that didn't exist in the system and next he was hiding behind an inspector.

It's also possible the guy face we saw at the end of the episode is not in the system either.
Old 2014-10-11, 07:33   Link #52
Jimmy C

It shouldn't matter if a face is in the system or not. If the scanner on the Dominator could get a clear look at the guy, there would have been a reading. Instead, we saw the Enforcer point the gun from the Inspector to the guy, but it never read him.
Simply blocking a scan should be too difficult. Normally, if the system can't scan a person, it would simply not unlock a door to allow that person access. But in this case, said person gained control of a Dominator and used it to shoot an Enforcer.

What interests me this episode was the ad for the drug Lacouse. Is it just shameless profiteering from the system, or does it really have a major effect on the hue reading? It would be really bad for the system if the drug can dampen the hue reading but doesn't really affect a person's desires to be nasty.
Old 2014-10-11, 07:44   Link #53
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
But in this case, said person gained control of a Dominator and used it to shoot an Enforcer.
He didn't gain control of a Dominator, he never touched it. He was holding the hand of the Inspector holding the gun.
Old 2014-10-11, 09:43   Link #54
GDB

Quote:
On another note, Akane thinking that anyone can be institutionalized or reevaluate someone back in society can backfire.
I don't think she believes that about everyone. Otherwise the new girl would've started getting pissy at her long ago rather than 18 months after starting. Akane thought he could be saved because when he noticed the car about to explode with a mother and daughter nearby, his crime coefficient fluctuated downward a bit. Remember, he had been careful not to get any civilians involved in his explosions. This gave Akane an opening to try and talk him down (like the hostage from episode 1 of season 1) and it worked.

Quote:
I actually thought that the guy did something to affect the Dominator to turn it to lethal mode, because the guy obviously wanted to kill the Enforcer, and it would have been coincidence that this particular Enforcer's level was just at that tipping point and he coincidentally went over at that moment. This guy seemed to be in control over the whole situation, and would 't rely on coincidence, so I'm not so sure about that.
Possibly, but we saw how the Dominator reacted to forceful mode changes in season 1. It looked unnatural, whereas here it was perfectly fine. And seeing your boss injected with something, an enemy that appears invisible, and having a gun pointed at you is usually enough to freak anyone out. We also don't know his base line level. If I recall, Kougami's base line was something around 261 (and Masaoka's was likely higher, since if I recall the helmet uses whoever's is lowest in the area), so a high level isn't unusual for enforcers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiCi View Post
Akane just "took a level in badass" XD
Just? She did this late in season 1. In fact, she literally took a class from Kougami's professor friend and was put in a situation from Sibyl where she had to step it up or else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
He didn't gain control of a Dominator, he never touched it. He was holding the hand of the Inspector holding the gun.
Exactly.
Old 2014-10-11, 15:11   Link #55
IceHism

I always wonder why these people don't learn martial arts or something and start smacking people with their dominators. Those things look like they will hurt a lot.
Old 2014-10-11, 15:16   Link #56
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I always wonder why these people don't learn martial arts or something and start smacking people with their dominators. Those things look like they will hurt a lot.
Because aside from exceptions like Makishima there's no need. Also some are very good at hand to hand combat as seen with Ko and Masaoka last season.
Old 2014-10-11, 16:54   Link #57
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
Because aside from exceptions like Makishima there's no need. Also some are very good at hand to hand combat as seen with Ko and Masaoka last season.
Ehh. I think physical training is useful in any police squad regardless if you have guns.

I'm just wondering why people don't smack criminals with the dominator itself when they fight against people whom the dominator doesn't work on.
Old 2014-10-11, 17:31   Link #58
GDB

We've only seen such people thrice. One was captured off screen and we never "really" saw them. One was a better martial artist than Kougami, so getting in close doesn't really do anything. And this third we haven't seen much of, but he moved fast enough that the Inspector could barely react at all before being drugged.
Old 2014-10-11, 18:32   Link #59
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. The system may be built unreliable for a purpose. I don't think a society fully maintained by a Sibyl system is good, but having humans maintain them makes a balance.
Well, the whole S1 was about a bug they decided was a feature.
Old 2014-10-11, 20:17   Link #60
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post

Possibly, but we saw how the Dominator reacted to forceful mode changes in season 1. It looked unnatural, whereas here it was perfectly fine. And seeing your boss injected with something, an enemy that appears invisible, and having a gun pointed at you is usually enough to freak anyone out. We also don't know his base line level. If I recall, Kougami's base line was something around 261 (and Masaoka's was likely higher, since if I recall the helmet uses whoever's is lowest in the area), so a high level isn't unusual for enforcers.
I don't know, it did seem a little strange to me though when it suddenly went into lethal mode for no reason. It was similar to when Joshu changed it when Gino was holding it on Kogami in the parking garage last season. I mean, as you said, we don't know what the enforcer's base line was. He could have been like Yayoi or Gino who are still in the one hundreds. However, the villain would have had to know the guy's base line and that his act would have the desired effect to push it to 300+. I think that's a little coincidental, even for a criminal mastermind. That's why I was thinking the gun was influenced in some way.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Closed Thread