AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 40 40.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 32.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 21.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.05%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-11, 15:06   Link #81
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
how's lawrence's financial standings at the start of this series?

iirc he should still be well off from 00 (i remember from the ending of last season they didnt get as much as they'd like but it was a good amount no?)

from what i get from ep1 this season it seems like he's back to square 1 and has to start from scratch again
Remember that the second arc of the first season started with him going horribly into debt. The deal with the gold smuggling allowed him to repay it and then some, but he still took a hit. So, he's not as well off as when the first arc concluded, but, well, he was about ready to open a shop then. So he must still have some money. He didn't look particularly worried about living expenses either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
In regards to your first question, I think Lawrence did in fact get a fairly good-sized remuneration (if I remember correctly). He was offered liquid money, but he declined and, instead, asked for some spice to trade.
He didn't take spices, but credit. Meaning that instead of bits of metal (which are quite hard to get) actually changing hands, his friend just acknowledges he owes Lawrence a certain sum. Lawrence will decide later what he wants to do with that debt: either trade it for wheat (since his business partner is a wheat merchant) or go to another store and negotiate that debt against some other kind of cargo.

Quote:
In this instance, I don't think it's so much that he's back to square one as it is that he's being more cautious, especially after the crucible he just went through, which was caused in part by his greed.

However, this is just my interpretation of the events so far, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, he did take on "boring merchandise".

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2009-07-12 at 17:17.
Old 2009-07-12, 00:29   Link #82
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post

About the characters in OP
Spoiler for for volume 4 info:
Spoiler for for volume 4 info":
Old 2009-07-12, 02:40   Link #83
mpt37

There's just something so addictive about Horo's character, I find everything she does is entertaining. Part of that has to do with the amazing voice acting from Koshimizu. I still can't believe this is the same VA who did Tenma from School Rumble.

Time to re-watch it. I may need to marathon S1 before ep. 2 is released.
Old 2009-07-12, 03:59   Link #84
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

10/10

Started off where the first season left off with a blast.

Perfect
Old 2009-07-12, 05:35   Link #85
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
There's just something so addictive about Horo's character, I find everything she does is entertaining. Part of that has to do with the amazing voice acting from Koshimizu. I still can't believe this is the same VA who did Tenma from School Rumble.

Time to re-watch it. I may need to marathon S1 before ep. 2 is released.
Well not only VA creates character but also character brings out the best out of VA. Tenma was a crappy rather one-sided character, so it is not very challenging for VA as you do not need to show a full specter of emotions and reactions while Horo is much deeper reaching one and this can bring some amazing stuff from VA.
Old 2009-07-12, 06:22   Link #86
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well not only VA creates character but also character brings out the best out of VA. Tenma was a crappy rather one-sided character, so it is not very challenging for VA as you do not need to show a full specter of emotions and reactions while Horo is much deeper reaching one and this can bring some amazing stuff from VA.
Well I wouldn't call her crappy but she was kind of a static and flat character.
Old 2009-07-12, 06:26   Link #87
oompa loompa

I enjoyed this episode a lot, and am really looking forward to this.. it was a quiet peaceful episode, which didnt drag, and I enjoyed a lot.. Also, the mood seems slightly different between Lawrence and Horo.. its more.. gentle. I hope its not just me, but I am really looking forward to the slow, but steady development of the series romantic undertones - not driven by wild 'raging' proposals and events.
Old 2009-07-12, 09:12   Link #88
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

Thanks to the new season, I've remembered how adorable Horo is. :3

"Choose your own legacy, it's for you to decide." - Solid Snake
Old 2009-07-12, 14:17   Link #89
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

How could you forget?
Old 2009-07-12, 16:30   Link #90
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

they stuck to the novels as usual(although the anime has much more humour IMO)
Old 2009-07-12, 19:45   Link #91
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Oh happy days.

Funny episode, hung-over Horo never gets old.
Old 2009-07-12, 20:04   Link #92
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Happy days are here again!

I loved the feel of this episode. It just picks right back up where S1 left off, and that works excellently. In terms of animation, I honestly didn't notice much... though certain details this season, like background, seem better animated than they were last season. It was nice to see some of S1's shots redone.

The new OP... meh. I like it. Not as good as S1's was, but it works in its own way for the theme.

I have to say, the ending of this episode left me damn depressed. Poor Horo, poor Lawrence. It's becoming obvious just how much they care about each other, and the ending highlights one of the biggest obstacles in their relationship: the fact that Horo is a god, and Lawrence is only human. It's very sobering.

Drunk!Horo is hilarious no matter what, though. Her hung-over face had me laughing.

Looking forward to episode 2 now. New episodes every Thursday, I hear.
Old 2009-07-12, 20:39   Link #93
Yuutsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Remember that the second arc of the first season started with him going horribly into debt. The deal with the gold smuggling allowed him to repay it and then some, but he still took a hit. So, he's not as well off as when the first arc concluded, but, well, he was about ready to open a shop then. So he must still have some money. He didn't look particularly worried about living expenses either.

He didn't take spices, but credit. Meaning that instead of bits of metal (which are quite hard to get) actually changing hands, his friend just acknowledges he owes Lawrence a certain sum. Lawrence will decide later what he wants to do with that debt: either trade it for wheat (since his business partner is a wheat merchant) or go to another store and negotiate that debt against some other kind of cargo.

Yeah, he did take on "boring merchandise".
Ah, right. The first season covered the first two novels, and the spice part happened during the end of the first arc. Darn, how could I forget?

Um, also, can anyone tell me where to look for a thread with rules regarding forums and stuff. I'm a newbie to this forum. : )
Old 2009-07-12, 21:05   Link #94
bekyuubi

I think the opening has it's own charm and really is tough to compare it with season 1 opening. It's just like comparing drawing a picture and writing a storybook.

The lyrics for both songs have their own spin to them. I'm quite sure the season 2 opening will grow on you after repeated listens.

Mazui's subs (Wonders if it's translated to perfection?)

Dawn comes softer than a sleeping breath
Your dream runs through the forest now
You wake up and stir to find the light
If you've lost it, I'll find it for you
It's hidden in our future (Kimi to boku no~ mirai ni kakureteiru)
Now if we joined hands
We could go far without letting go
In the memory of a far off day
The story of the blue country bloomed
Shining eyes
Your singing voice
Let's share it.

Anyone knows who's the mysterious figure near the ending of the opening? Bright yellow hair with blue cold eye glaring?
Old 2009-07-12, 23:15   Link #95
otaku_trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post

The only minor problem I have is that Horo's got lolified ... I preferred the more mature character design from the first season.
I noticed the same thing. It is a minor problem to me also. It wasn't to terribly bad as it could be, but the director doesn't need to make Horo cute. It kind of takes away from the character we all grew to love in the first season, that being a wise wolf who doesn't show her emotion as readily as a youngster would. I realize that in this episode she is drunk most the time , and that may have lowered her inhibitions a tad, and the flirting was enjoyable to watch! (The foot shot....ohhhh the foot shot . AWESOME!)I have read the novels and it seems that they are keeping true to the novels material and lines. If they turn down the loli and spice up the coolness of the Wolf, this series will be a very good one and will surpass the first season.

Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on the first episode, but I've been looking forward to this season for a long time.

I'll probably get used to Horo being more cute. She did have a dream, after all about Lawrence, and she may be turning up the flirt factor to get closer to him before he dies (maybe...its just a dream...right?). Anyways, I give this episode an 9 because I thought it was great, but a little taken aback by the cuteness factor being stepped up a little. OP song isn't as good as first season, but its still good. Ending song isn't to bad too, although not as good as the first seasons ending.

I'm so glad that Season 2 is here and am eagerly awaiting the next episodes! This is going to be the best summer ever!

Hail the Tail! The Wolf is back!

Last edited by otaku_trev; 2009-07-12 at 23:37.
Old 2009-07-13, 00:33   Link #96
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Well I wouldn't call her crappy but she was kind of a static and flat character.
Thats what I call crappy

And I have to agree that if they would reduce her being moe looks back into the cool shape she was in the first season, this season would surpass the first on, but even without that it still feels like a good series.
Old 2009-07-13, 00:56   Link #97
Lightly_Toasted

O god it was great, but the preview fo rthe next episode makes me sad. It'll be the last episode before things get crazy.
Also did anyone else notice the
Spoiler for Vol 4 SPOILER, YOITSU LORE:
Old 2009-07-13, 04:45   Link #98
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Um, also, can anyone tell me where to look for a thread with rules regarding forums and stuff. I'm a newbie to this forum. : )
Here you go.

http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
And I have to agree that if they would reduce her being moe looks back into the cool shape she was in the first season, this season would surpass the first on, but even without that it still feels like a good series.
I just see it has Horo showing her cute side infront of Lawrence, not this change in character a lot of people keep going on about.
Old 2009-07-13, 09:40   Link #99
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

hmm guess this season its going to be about the Lawrence-Horo relationship and the conflicts and complications they bring. That opening scene says it all.
-Lawrence is too transient. Horo- immortal unless done in by violent means
-Horo must decide: Her kin or Lawrence

This is later reaffirmed when Lawrence considers helping her find her town. It can take 2 days on wolf-back, but 1-2yrs on Lawrences wagon; a long time. He cant just leave his livelihood behind to go wolfback riding with Horo

Hey unless they make this really huge wagon for...lol nevermind

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto-Arena.com

omai wa yowai....naze yowai ka? tarinai kara da nikushimiga
Old 2009-07-13, 10:04   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Ah, right. The first season covered the first two novels, and the spice part happened during the end of the first arc. Darn, how could I forget?

........ um, top of the page. There's a line that has links called "UserCP Forum Rules FAQ" and so on.

The UserCP is where you set up your signature, avatar, profile, etc. The other two are self-explanatory. If you have any unresolved questions, you can ask at the "Forum & Site Feedback" thread under the General section.

The hardest part for most people to comprehend/follow seem to be the "licensed" rule restrictions on anime/manga and the "spoiler" rules.

For imagery, PG-13 rules (no private bits) and everyone appreciates as a courtesy any racier stuff to be hidden under spoiler tags with a NSFW (not safe for work) warning tag. Links to sites with "over 18" material should be labeled (e.g. Sankaku Complex often has useful articles that people link to but it is also loaded with 'racy bits'.).

As for the episode, I've already posted my thoughts... but I'm going to wait a few episodes before deciding whether they've actually messed with her character or not since she does have so many facets that a single exposure can be misleading. For the large part, they are simply following events in the 3rd novel to begin with.