AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-26, 00:40   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Ted Kennedy dies, age 77

Senator Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer
Quote:
Washington (Aug 26): Senator Edward Moore Kennedy, the youngest Kennedy brother who was left to head the family's political dynasty after his brothers, former president John F. Kennedy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy, were assassinated, has died at age 77.

Known as the "liberal lion of the Senate", Sen Kennedy, fondly known as Ted or Teddy, championed health-care reform, working wages and equal rights in his storied career. He was awarded this month the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, by President Obama. His daughter, Ms Kara Kennedy, accepted the award on his behalf.

Sen Kennedy was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour in May last year and underwent a successful brain surgery soon after that. But his health continued to deteriorate, and he suffered a seizure while attending the luncheon following President Barack Obama's inauguration.

For Sen Kennedy, the ascension of Mr Obama was an important step toward realising his goal of health-care reform. At the Democratic National Convention last August, the Massachusetts Democrat promised: "I pledge to you that I will be there next January on the floor of the United States Senate when we begin the great test."

He made good on that pledge, but ultimately lost his battle with cancer.

Sen Kennedy was first elected to the Senate in 1962, at the age of 30, and his tenure there would span four decades.

A hardworking, well-liked politician who became the standard-bearer of his brothers' liberal causes, his career was clouded by allegations of personal immorality and accusations that his family's clout helped him avoid the consequences of an accident that left a young woman dead.

But for the younger members of the Kennedy clan, from his own three children to those of his brothers, JFK and RFK, Sen Ted Kennedy -- once seen as the youngest and least talented in a family of glamorous overachievers -- was both a surrogate father and the centre of the family.

And, certainly, it was Sen Kennedy who bore many of the tragedies of the family -- the violent deaths of four of his siblings, his son's battle with cancer, and the death of his nephew, John F. Kennedy Jr, in a plane crash.

It was an all-too-familiar sight for those who remember Sen Kennedy mourning the deaths of his brothers, and helping the family bear up after the deaths of RFK's sons, David and Michael.

For decades, it was Sen Kennedy who carried the burden and led the way as the patriarch of a family seen as America's answer to royalty.

- ABC NEWS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 00:42   Link #2
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism

Another day, another death.
Old 2009-08-26, 02:33   Link #3
solomon

Seemed like an interesting senator, didn't know he was that powerful.

RIP.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 03:25   Link #4
Alchemist007
*Author

Oh I thought they were fresh out of Kennedys already!

RIP nonetheless.
Old 2009-08-26, 03:29   Link #5
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
And so another era comes to a close end with the passing of the last great Kennedy. Ted Kennedy was one of those political heroes I had tremendous respect for. Of all the Democratic senators who ever promised to stick up for the middle and lower classes he was one of the few who made me believe it through his consistant action in that direction.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 03:31   Link #6
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
And so another era comes to a close end with the passing of the last great Kennedy. Ted Kennedy was one of those political heroes I had tremendous respect for. Of all the Democratic senators who ever promised to stick up for the middle and lower classes he was one of the few who made me believe it through his consistant action in that direction.
And so the fight continues against Republican bullies who continue to favor the rich and powerful at the expense of middle and lower classes.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 05:26   Link #7
Nosauz

It's a sad day to see such a great man pass, a legacy of Kennedy power has truly ended. A great man who gave his life in service of this nation much like his older brothers, his legacy will live on for all men to see and learn from.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 06:19   Link #8
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

When my dad heard this he was truly sad. Turns out that Ted Kennedy was the person who helped him to get a visa to the US. Yeah, so RIP Ted Kennedy

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 08:46   Link #9
sa547
*Author

By now it seems that some world leaders who passed this year are having a very interesting conversation in the afterlife.

Thanks, Ted.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:17   Link #10
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I'm sure the first thing John and Robert said to Ted was,"It's a good thing you took so long to join us, little bro. We're proud of you."
Old 2009-08-26, 11:43   Link #11
Alchemist007
*Author

At least someone knows how to take a joke
Old 2009-08-26, 12:01   Link #12
Cipher

Passed away peacefully at a prime age. Great man but I can't agree to what the writer laid out as "America's answer to royalty" . What lessens equality, lessens true morality.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 12:37   Link #13
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Passed away peacefully at a prime age. Great man but I can't agree to what the writer laid out as "America's answer to royalty" . What lessens equality, lessens true morality.
Do you even know what the writer is talking about?
Old 2009-08-26, 12:39   Link #14
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I'm sure the first thing John and Robert said to Ted was,"It's a good thing you took so long to join us, little bro. We're proud of you."
you forgot Jack jr the eldest who was shot down in the pacific.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:34   Link #15
Shadow Kira01

May he rest in peace...
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 15:17   Link #16
Nosauz

A great speech for a great man. It's sad that such a great man, a man who helped fight for those that did not have, could not fight, has passed on. I'm a cynic who believes politicians are liars but Ted Kennedy was different. Here's a solute to a great man who helped shaped America to what it is today.
Old 2009-08-26, 16:30   Link #17
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

As a member of the Commonwealth I can't deny that (even though my politics and his have more often than not been much akin to oil and water) he certainly did do a lot to bring federal money to us, weather or not that money was all spent well is an issue for another day and another thread probably. Anyway rest in peace Teddy.
Old 2009-08-26, 16:31   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This isn't all that unexpected. He's been sick for a while.

I didn't agree with his politics, I didn't agree with his priorities, I thought he was a massive tool representing a system of hypocritical government of coercion, but unlike some political activist types, I have respect for the dead.

Rest in peace, Mr. Kennedy.
Old 2009-08-26, 16:37   Link #19
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I have respect for the dead.
One's own hypocrisy huh.
Old 2009-08-26, 18:33   Link #20
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
you forgot Jack jr the eldest who was shot down in the pacific.
Well, the eldest son's passing was a huge blow to Joseph. But, he wasn't a political figure.

@Syn: Maybe, you want to check his record in the 70s and 80s.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-08-26 at 18:44.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote