AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-18, 03:28   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 693 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Early Christmas spoilers are here, guys! Credit for the spoiler goes to the provider T and the guys at AP for translation:

-Chapter title is "Die for me". Again, a color page takes the place of the ministory this time, but this is the final one.

-Franky attacks Baby-5 and Buffalo. They retaliate, and the three battle. It's revealed that the maid can transform into various weapons like swords and missiles during the fight. The weakened Caesar is nearby, and decides that if he's going down, he won't go alone. And so, he decides to finish off Smoker by crushing his heart, which is still in his possession......

-Law wants to pursue CC, but Luffy wants to wait for the rest of his crew to catch up first. It's at this point that Momo learn of his father's fate. Meanwhile, Monet contacts Doflamingo, telling him that she'll activate the lab's self-destruct switch. When she asks his permission, he apologizes before saying yes, and orders her to die for him. The harpy obeys her master's final command.......

Well, I must say I'm looking forward to Franky's battle! I had also figured that there would be some self-destruct mechanism installed in the lab (I mean, what mad scientist wouldn't have one of those? ), and about Monet dying.... well, I might believe that happening if Law didn't already have her heart. And even if she DID have it with her at this point..... well, she's like 99.9% guaranteed to become Pell 2.0, anyway.

And with that being said, it shouldn't be too long before we get our early sloppily-translated chapter!
Old 2012-12-18, 07:56   Link #2
game2007

Just so you know, there will be a chapter next week, so we end with chapter 694 this year.

Kaidou appears on the cover page, albeit only a part of his face.

Last edited by game2007; 2012-12-18 at 07:57. Reason: adding more
Old 2012-12-18, 08:55   Link #3
mrShady

Joker is like an evil Luffy sacrificing his own comrades.
@ The Small One: And I agree it's probably Monet's heart Ceasar is holding, would really be a thing for Law to do.
Old 2012-12-18, 09:21   Link #4
ronin myael
lost ronin

i'm beginning to really like baby 5. she has a pretty interesting DF.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:05   Link #5
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

That color page...THAT COLOR PAGE! It's awesome killed me five times over and then brought me to One Piece Heaven! ALL HAIL THE STRAWHEARTS ALLIANCE! Seeing them all together as if they were one big crew just made me cry manly tears of joy! I have a new desktop background that's for sure!
Seeing the timeskipped antagonists was awesome too...did Akainu grow a beard? The good looking bastard!

Baby 5's ability is quite interesting, from the looks of it her ability is at it's best when there's someone to use the weapons she turns into. though I wonder how the bomb form works...shouldn't she kill herself with the explosion?

But hell, good to see Franky can more than handle himself, it looked like with his GIANT ROBOT he can be a pretty goo match for two of Joker's guys.

And finally...I can't resist:
Monet
Wat R U Doin
Monet!
Stahp!

Though I do find it nice to see that there are more crews with such loyalty for their captains/leaders out there. I wonder if Joker was acting sorry toward Monet or if he really was feeling bad for having her die...from what we've seen of Donfla he doesn't give two shits about others, but then again we've never seen him talk to his own crew before.

EDIT: Oh yea, just noticed that on the color page the guy on the top left corner should be Kaidou...who seems to be a large brawny guy with a beard (I'm hoping he looks like an actual RL pirate xD)
Old 2012-12-18, 10:21   Link #6
Kona
Banned

Momonosuke is a pink dragon... um are you serious right now?
Old 2012-12-18, 10:22   Link #7
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Franky was throwing "a shield with star shaped symbol"
Old 2012-12-18, 10:45   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That is one smexy color page. I'm assuming the guy on the top left is Kaidou, since all the other Yonkou are there. Akainu with a beard... not bad.

I liked the exchange between Monet and Doflamingo. Although he is asking her to die for his sake, I got the impression he cared about her. He even apologized. Maybe he isn't a completely heartless bastard, after all.
Old 2012-12-18, 11:03   Link #9
marvelB

Wow, that color page was a great surprise! Funny that it even has a preview of post-skip Akainu's design when Film Z had even went through the trouble of hiding his new appearance. And yeah, I'm gonna echo all of the others who say that the face on the top-left most likely belongs to Kaidou. And best of all: BEPO!

Anyways, awesome chapter. It's great to see Franky finally getting some action this arc, and B5's power is really interesting. And y'know, I made a joke in the last thread about her possibly nuking the island, but seeing as she turned herself into a missile this chapter, maybe it's not such a far-fetched idea, after all.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I wonder if Joker was acting sorry toward Monet or if he really was feeling bad for having her die...from what we've seen of Donfla he doesn't give two shits about others, but then again we've never seen him talk to his own crew before.

So what, are Bellamy and Law chopped liver now or something!?

But putting that aside, I guess Dofla's level of affection towards his crew varies from person to person. In fact, it was already mentioned that he thought of some of them as his own siblings (Law, B5), but I suppose his malicious attitude towards them is supposed to be interpreted as his own twisted brand of "tough love", or something.....
Old 2012-12-18, 11:15   Link #10
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
So what, are Bellamy and Law chopped liver now or something!?
Well...the Bellamy Pirates were ALLIES (more like minions) of the Donquixote Pirates, not part of the crew.
This arc was the first time we've seen or even heard about a Donfla/Law interaction, plus Law is no longer part of his crew.
Old 2012-12-18, 11:20   Link #11
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Momonosuke is a pink dragon... um are you serious right now?
well momo literally means peach

so I (was expecting more red-ish) don't see a problem with its colour being a pink
Old 2012-12-18, 11:27   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Well...the Bellamy Pirates were ALLIES (more like minions) of the Donquixote Pirates, not part of the crew.

I dunno.... I had the impression that they were more along the lines of a splinter group (like how Arlong and Macro's crews were made up of Sun pirate remnants). I mean, they even share the same jolly roger of Dofla's "main" crew, after all. But I do agree that they wouldn't be considered part of his inner circle like the guys from Dressrosa....
Old 2012-12-18, 11:43   Link #13
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Why do I got a feeling that heart that Caesar has isn't Smokers, but to a certain green haired Harpy?
Old 2012-12-18, 12:09   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Interesting chapter. Lots of flashy fireworks in the Franky vs. Baby 5 & Buffalo match up. CC is most likely in possession of Monet's heart and not Smoker's. That being said, Doflamingo's kamikaze scheme may be thwarted altogether or too late. It's hard to tell if Doflamingo is playing Monet for a fool or being genuine with his feelings.

As for the colour spread, Blackbeard essentially looks the same (although his beard may be even longer now). I also noticed that Shanks is no longer sporting his faint goatee; he's only got the mustache part. Minor change, really. Gotta love how Sanji and Bepo are paired up together having a good time .
Old 2012-12-18, 12:34   Link #15
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I dunno.... I had the impression that they were more along the lines of a splinter group (like how Arlong and Macro's crews were made up of Sun pirate remnants). I mean, they even share the same jolly roger of Dofla's "main" crew, after all. But I do agree that they wouldn't be considered part of his inner circle like the guys from Dressrosa....
Well to me they seemed more like "Those rookies that have potential" that a guy like Dofla would like to have under his wing as long as they are useful. Unlike the Sun Pirates, the Donquixote Pirates didn't seem to have split up but instead made business allies all over the place.
Old 2012-12-18, 13:10   Link #16
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Nice chapter, Franky's fight was good, Baby 5 has got a interesting DF for sure.

I really like the colour spread tho, trust Oda to make a colour spread that can beat even a good chapter such as this

What I really liked tho was the promo stuff for the film, seeing young Garp, Sengoku and Tsuru was great.
Garp really looks like a older Luffy
And why the hell is it I only notice the similarity of their scars now, both around the left eye.
Old 2012-12-18, 13:15   Link #17
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Nice chapter, Franky's fight was good, Baby 5 has got a interesting DF for sure.

I really like the colour spread tho, trust Oda to make a colour spread that can beat even a good chapter such as this

What I really liked tho was the promo stuff for the film, seeing young Garp, Sengoku and Tsuru was great.
Garp really looks like a older Luffy
And why the hell is it I only notice the similarity of their scars now, both around the left eye.
People were saying young Garp looked like Zoro, but I see your point about an older Luffy. Makes me wonder if Dragon got a scar in his eye somewhere or other other members of Luffy's family. It makes me really curious who could be the mother of Dragon and Luffy, those women are probably powerhouses in the one piece world as well.
Old 2012-12-18, 13:24   Link #18
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
People were saying young Garp looked like Zoro, but I see your point about an older Luffy. Makes me wonder if Dragon got a scar in his eye somewhere or other other members of Luffy's family. It makes me really curious who could be the mother of Dragon and Luffy, those women are probably powerhouses in the one piece world as well.
I will be very disappointed if the series ends without at least showing Luffy's mother.
Old 2012-12-18, 14:06   Link #19
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
I will be very disappointed if the series ends without at least showing Luffy's mother.
So will I, what are the odds that Luffy's mother is also a D?
Old 2012-12-18, 14:07   Link #20
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Man, Doflamingo's subordinates are really loyal to him, especially when they're willing to die for his best interests. Heck if that's actual concern Dofla is showing for Monet, his crew may as well be some twisted version of Luffy's.

Also the fact they keep calling him "young master" or "young lord" must signify Doflamingo has a high standing in society. Perhaps the son of a rich family?

Quote:
The only thing that Oda has revealed about Luffy's mother is that she's not very physically attractive. I suppose there's still a possibility of seeing her when Dragon receives a core role in a future arc with the revolutionaries though.