AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-04, 20:05   Link #201
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Really? You sure want to see her fall, don't you?

Using words like "her fall" and all that, I can't help but think that there's a tinge of resentment in your comments. It doesn't help that your bias lies too much with all things moe (the usual kind), something which this series has thankfully avoided so far. Well, ok... it still has a couple of French maids.
By French Maid you mean badass special ops veterans who happen to wear maid outfits from time to time, right?

Sure, Ryoko is flawed, but I'd take a single Ryoko over a hundred abusive tsundere or the usual little sister stereotypes. Yay foir badass women who know what they want...

She's not nearly as bad as Haruhi or Shana. Heck she never insulted nor physically abused Izumida.

Why is it so important to see her fall to you Orion?
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 22:16   Link #202
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
Why is it so important to see her fall to you Orion?
Because it's fun. I find that the "self-confident types with the hole in the armor that you can sail the Titanic thru" can be very entertaining when they fully crack. There has to be a "fall" in there somewhere or there would be no meaning for that lady in the kimono to be in the series.

Besides, Izumida had a dream of her blowing her head off in the first episode no less. I've been waiting for the "fall" ever since.
Old 2008-09-04, 23:12   Link #203
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah, you definitely don't hate her character type alright.

Oh well, I wonder how long Izumida will stay dense. Eventually, he has to at least think that the possibility may actually be true.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 07:56   Link #204
Ninjacat

I really doupt it will happen. In fact I'd be extremely surprised if the characters evolve at all.
Old 2008-09-07, 10:44   Link #205
Ninjacat

New episode!

Pretty good if I can say so myself, the plot thickens at last. Ryoko is being attacked where it hurts, on the political arena. Izumida has some welcome character development along some VERY weird dreams. It was funny to see him really cutting loose when Ryoko was away.

I think it's the first time I'm actually interested in the story, maybe this show is a bit of a late bloomer.
Old 2008-09-07, 17:30   Link #206
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
OMFG! A cloned Ryoko! XP

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 20:00   Link #207
random-passerby

Good episode. The Queen of Shiba's been poking around in the background for a few episodes, but I wonder what she's been up to. Kid Ryoko was a big surprise, seemingly for adult Ryoko as well. She was expecting someone else. This arc looks like it can turn really weird, which is great. Wonder if kid Ryoko will also fall for Izumida. Then again, kid Ryoko may not be a clone at all...can't wait for the next episode.

The scene b/w Muramachi and Izumida was also fun. Izumida looked like he was attracted to her, and maybe vice versa. I guess she's like Ryoko in many ways, but with a better personality (maybe too much so). Izumida was doing fine until the very last sentence, too.
random-passerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 19:12   Link #208
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Izumida was doing fine until the very last sentence, too.
that last part cracked me up! just couldnt help but laugh

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 21:31   Link #209
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by random-passerby View Post
The scene b/w Muramachi and Izumida was also fun. Izumida looked like he was attracted to her, and maybe vice versa. I guess she's like Ryoko in many ways, but with a better personality (maybe too much so). Izumida was doing fine until the very last sentence, too.
Yes, I love how Izumida's unwitting honesty betrayed him in the end.

Ep 9

Yes, this has gotten very intriguing. It probably surprises no one in the long run that Ryoko just doesn't care that she's had her name smeared through the media. My first thought was that she had anticipated this would happen, and have some sort of handy plan to clear her name, but the way she acted in this episode indicated that she has bigger things to worry about. For all that happened, it was just a case of business-as-usual for her.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 23:45   Link #210
kujoe
from head to heel

Man, episode 10 just made things weirder... And was that a giant frog back there?!

Actually, I lost count of what my current episode is, so I ended up mistakenly watching this before episode 9. Time to backtrack a bit.

However, my initial reaction still stands. The plot just got thicker, but the story just got more interesting as a result. I have to say though, that as far as Izumida is concerned, the score is --

Mon Ami (a.k.a., mini-Ryoko) : 1
Ryoko: 0

On another note, it's amusing what kind of stuff Ryoko reads.
Old 2008-09-12, 20:03   Link #211
suburbanbanshee

Re: weird dream about Russian Revolution

Actually, that was a weird dream about Empress Catherine the Great. O-Ryo is being pretty perceptive about herself, because there are a lot of parallels.

Catherine started out as a German princess/duchess/countess from a very small sovereign country. (Before Germany's many little countries unified.) Empress Elizabeth of Russia, who came from a German background herself, picked Catherine to marry her son, who'd be the next emperor. (She wasn't from any great family or Russian nobility, so no annoying power-grabs by the kinfolk.) Catherine came on out to Russia, and was super-enthused about learning to be Russian and getting tutored in her duties by Elizabeth. Unfortunately she then found out that her husband was not somebody she liked. She later claimed that he was going crazy, horribly stupid, and totally uninterested in sex with women. (All perfectly possible, in that horrible genetic stew of the Russian royals.)

So after Elizabeth died and her husband had reigned for a few annoying years, she led a palace coup -- and yes, all that galloping in and summoning the soldiers really happened -- and made herself Empress of All the Russias. Behind the scenes, she did a lot of this by sleeping with strategic generals, and/or awarding military men with lots of money and prizes. Lurid stories of her life of luxury and sex during her long reign abound, but the fact is that she did capture and hold Russia for the rest of her life. She also did try to be a benevolent despot who did good things for the people and the future, though with varying amounts of success. And of course the Russian nobility always hated and feared her, while she pretty much despised them in return for speaking only French and treating their serfs like cattle.

The thing was, she never married or had a permanent relationship with anybody she could really trust, and the success of her reign was seriously hobbled by a constant lack of competent, loyal, bright subordinates who would tell her the truth about what was going on.

I trust you can see what the dream is getting at....
suburbanbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 05:54   Link #212
kujoe
from head to heel

Hmmm.

Spoiler for episode 11:
Old 2008-09-16, 12:36   Link #213
Molenir

Damn, this show was doing so well up til now. However after watching the last 2 episodes, I'm not going to bother with any more until its complete. I hate this climactic buildup crap they're pulling. I expected it, but I hoped they wouldn't do it. I hoped since each of the episodes was essentially a standalone, that if they did a final arc, it would just be a mini-arc of 2 episodes or so. Instead we've got a lot more.

Regarding Izumidas powerlessness. Amazing, he forgets his gun, and oh by the way, theres a lake right there, the girl couldn't have jumped into the lake right? No, when barred by flame, water is no solution...
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 15:45   Link #214
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Has some LOL moments with the girl...

Seems that Ruriko has some ties with the Defense Ministry and is the new CEO of Japan Private Police.

Makes it very interesting for me to do some fanfiction. Anybody want suggestions?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2008-09-16, 21:40   Link #215
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Ryoko really has no shame, has she? Standing there completely naked in front of poor Izumida-kun. At least her cards are on the table with the cookbook and champagne. I'm glad to see he's holding his own, though.

What's with this show, anyway? This arc looked rather more realistic than the other episodes, but then we have a giant frog? I wondered if the frog was really a JACES invention designed to protect them, but Ryoko's reaction suggests otherwise.

I don't recall seeing Ryoko "speak with" the NPP goons after the fight ended, nor any further mention of what transpired afterwards. Wonder how that fight is going to play out on the morning news considering it happened right in front of a bunch of journalists.

I'll just point out for the sake of grammatical correctness that "mon ami" is the masculine version of "my friend;" it should have been "ma amie" but that doesn't sound so Japanese does it?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 22:05   Link #216
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Ryoko really has no shame, has she? Standing there completely naked in front of poor Izumida-kun. At least her cards are on the table with the cookbook and champagne. I'm glad to see he's holding his own, though.

What's with this show, anyway? This arc looked rather more realistic than the other episodes, but then we have a giant frog? I wondered if the frog was really a JACES invention designed to protect them, but Ryoko's reaction suggests otherwise.
Oh, I'm sure she has a sense of propriety. But that's relative depending with Izumida.

As for that giant frog, I think we can chalk it up to the usual WTF moments of this show. I mean seriously... Giant frog vs. robotic centipede?
Old 2008-09-16, 23:18   Link #217
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 10

Certainly the cooking scene was the highlight of the episode and demonstrates how strong this show can be when it's focused on the amusing character interactions and romantic tensions. The weakest part of the episode is obvious as well: the toad. So many logical disparities in that scene, but just the idea that a giant toad saves things for Izumida, itself.... I mean, c'mon. Even Ryoko thought it was stupid (cf her "olden day ninja movie" comment).
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 01:10   Link #218
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Least I had my chance to see some JPP operators in their heavy body armor. Love it, until I get the chance to fight them. XP

I probably will do a Yakushiji Ryoko crossover with Resident Evil 4 story somewhere in the future.

Old 2008-09-17, 04:05   Link #219
karasuma

Ha. Mini-Ryoko is cute. Also with that new wife cooking book...
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 16:35   Link #220
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Maybe a Ryoko/Izumida/Monami love triangle fanfic sounds good! XD

Tags
supernatural