AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-02-14, 19:03   Link #9481
Feng Lengshun
Old Wine

@RpR1337

Not a romantic fun nihilist, it's just that it makes no sense to me. From an economical perspective, it doesn't matter as long as there are fanservice and pretty girls. From a storytelling perspective, putting something you don't intend to use in the plot or going to explore is a form of bad writing. Unless it's for humor, in which case, I love parodies. They make fun of the 'normal' and stupid things. Despite everything, High School DxD's harem and fanservice is pretty much a parody (until V10+ anyway) and when it gets serious, it starts to take the harem seriously (Issei asking for advice on harem from Rossweise IIRC, haven't read that far but heard about it from a friend writing a DxD-Campione story).

So it's less me being a nihilist and more of me thinking of effective writing. In the usual critical perspective.

For Issei, he's not a wuss. Remember that he has his trauma with Raynare. And when THAT is finally solved and he's together with Rias, shits happens that they don't really have time to have sex. Besides, how can you call the guy whom God approves of a wuss? (Remember that Truth Idea thing? God chose his ambition over Cao Cao remember?). Admittedly, he's not exactly a hero, but he has his heart in the right place (Term of Hero really is a fitting theme for him)

@XFire

My, whatever did you mean XFire-kun? At least I didn't say School Days, did I? Well, the VN would be okay actually. Actually, if you really want to find a true harem story, VN is a much better way to find them. Hm, I didn't recognize almost all of your suggestions though, are they all LNs? Not sure if there are animes in those.

And we do love to digress don't we? Well, me especially, true, but it's quite a lot digressing eh? Well, it's fine until someone posts about a new volume/theory anyway.
Feng Lengshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 20:01   Link #9482
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feng Lengshun View Post
@RpR1337

Not a romantic fun nihilist, it's just that it makes no sense to me. From an economical perspective, it doesn't matter as long as there are fanservice and pretty girls. From a storytelling perspective, putting something you don't intend to use in the plot or going to explore is a form of bad writing. Unless it's for humor, in which case, I love parodies. They make fun of the 'normal' and stupid things. Despite everything, High School DxD's harem and fanservice is pretty much a parody (until V10+ anyway) and when it gets serious, it starts to take the harem seriously (Issei asking for advice on harem from Rossweise IIRC, haven't read that far but heard about it from a friend writing a DxD-Campione story).

So it's less me being a nihilist and more of me thinking of effective writing. In the usual critical perspective.

For Issei, he's not a wuss. Remember that he has his trauma with Raynare. And when THAT is finally solved and he's together with Rias, shits happens that they don't really have time to have sex. Besides, how can you call the guy whom God approves of a wuss? (Remember that Truth Idea thing? God chose his ambition over Cao Cao remember?). Admittedly, he's not exactly a hero, but he has his heart in the right place (Term of Hero really is a fitting theme for him)

@XFire

My, whatever did you mean XFire-kun? At least I didn't say School Days, did I? Well, the VN would be okay actually. Actually, if you really want to find a true harem story, VN is a much better way to find them. Hm, I didn't recognize almost all of your suggestions though, are they all LNs? Not sure if there are animes in those.

And we do love to digress don't we? Well, me especially, true, but it's quite a lot digressing eh? Well, it's fine until someone posts about a new volume/theory anyway.
Mostly manga, and a few have anime adaptions.

Also, we really should have recommended the School Days Visual Novel (Not the anime. Not. The. Anime.) because as I understand it the True End (as in the cannon one) involves a menage a trois between the three main characters. A permanent, loving, consensual one.

Fuck that anime.
Old 2014-02-14, 20:15   Link #9483
Feng Lengshun
Old Wine

And let's not forget the other harem ending, the one with everyone that is.
Old 2014-02-14, 21:00   Link #9484
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
There's Sekirei. There's always Sekirei.

Damn, I still haven't shrugged the disappointment from In Flight. Oh! There's this one good harem manga: Abnormal Joshi Kei. It's... unique so to say. Though for harem, I still prefer Rance. Gahaha.
Abnormal Joshi Kei is less of a harem manga and more of a parody of different harem cliches put into one nice insane package.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 09:26   Link #9485
Ultraviolet X

Have to ask, has it been confirmed, if Volume 16 is short stories?
Ultraviolet X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 15:50   Link #9486
XFire
150% done

Quote:
And let's not forget the other harem ending, the one with everyone that is.
Really? I didn't know there was a different one. Why the hell didn't they do that instead?
Old 2014-02-17, 18:17   Link #9487
Ken Sanders
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet X
Have to ask, has it been confirmed, if Volume 16 is short stories?
Yes. It has been confirmed. V.8 was a SS volume, as well. Check BT forum for more details.
Ken Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 18:18   Link #9488
Ickarium

I just hope there's some new ones there. I heard that the Lord Erland one was going to be one. Want some new stuff. Preferably stuff with his sister and Mariya's sister.
Old 2014-02-17, 18:20   Link #9489
Vezon

In the afterword of vol.15 the author said he might have some short stories with John Pluto Smith and Marquis Voban. I'll look forward to that!
Old 2014-02-17, 18:24   Link #9490
bakapervert
A pervert

Something more like Maid in Heaven or Searching for the Devil King will be appreciated.
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 15:08   Link #9491
RpR1337
fun^10*int^40=Ir2

Quote:
@RpR1337

Well, yeah, if you go about it that way, I can understand your point. This is all well and good, but it's not always the best way in literature (be it classical or commercial) to go for perfection. If you go perfection, you go The Red and the Black, and you go Faust. Everyone knows, since you become educational material. Sales go down the toilet. Mah, I won't argue on this point any further. You're a bit of a completionist, wich is not bad, and not particularly good either. I'm more the relaxed and less immersed type of reader and writer, which is (no pun intended, really) not bad, and not particularly good either.

Quote:
Meh, he's a wuss. It's not the crap about him being approved of which makes him either correct or mistaken. For all we know (after breast-lasers, rocket-launcher danball vampires, genderchanging guns, and who knows how many more retarded stuff - and the god thing, do I really have to mention the infamous "Tit God"?), God might've choosen his ambition over Cao Cao's, because he's a perverted old phock like Odin. Or he might not like battle-maniacs. Since the so-called will of God isn't known, it's false to base anything off of it. Also, don't forget that the evil intentions of the same God had him killed.

Trauma with Raynare happened ages ago. Everything past a 7-day period is history.

Also, ever since that Raynare stuff got cleared up, they had heaps of time. They just don't advance. Not to mention, instead of enjoying the situation, he's still whacked when he's surrounded by three naked babes (meh, I'll admit he's gotten better, since he at least doesn't have a serious noseleak anymore). Well, whatever. He'll have to man up. He owes it to the single guys in the world. Really.

And to quote one of my favourite "absolutely storyless, and pink pacifist mormon" anime for your last concern (which would be Dog Days ' ):
"Him being a hero's totally irrelevant!"
RpR1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 15:33   Link #9492
Ultragunner

^ you're right about that, but it's also mainly due to the author....not advancing the developement for Ise. I mean, seriously, it is so blatant obvious that he's forcefully trying to halt the relationship between Ise and the girls (in the romantic way). For instance, putting aside Ise being a wuss or whatsoever, can we really count the number of times that he actually go after the girls himself? Such as initiating a kiss by himself, holding the girls' hand on his own...etc....in almost any case, he's just on the receiving end (even when cuddling with Rias, she IS the one that asks ). Even the worst wuss would do sth, especially when he does HAVE a girlfriend. What ticks me off the most is recently, the author throws in all the fan service, then stops it mid way, then hIse goes "the path to become the Harem-king sure is hard" for every f'cking time. I was like: "Of course it is when you do nothing, dude!!"

Don't get me wrong, I am one of Ise's fan (and I'll always be ), so I'll put the blame on Ishibumi

Though Campione and DxD do share some issues when it comes to the MC interacting with the girls, we should really come back to Campione, guys

For Godou, somehow I feel for the guy when people keep on making assumptions about him when he did not ask for it
Old 2014-02-18, 15:53   Link #9493
erdii

actually I want a volume about voban, I mean we haven't seen the old man for a long time. we don't know how many authorities he has. we should respect elders right
Old 2014-02-18, 16:01   Link #9494
Ickarium

I don't want a volume -about- Voban.

I'd not mind another volume where Godou kicks his butt. This time more firmly, now that he's gotten more experience.
Old 2014-02-18, 16:02   Link #9495
Vezon

How about a spinoff of Voban's beginning? Before Godou and Salvatore.
Old 2014-02-18, 16:11   Link #9496
Ickarium

Not interested, myself. Then again, I find Voban incredibly boring. He's an evil old man. Okay? I find John Pluto Smith and Luo Hao more interesting. Or heck, even Doni, though he annoys the heck out of me.
Old 2014-02-18, 16:22   Link #9497
Vezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
Not interested, myself. Then again, I find Voban incredibly boring. He's an evil old man. Okay? I find John Pluto Smith and Luo Hao more interesting. Or heck, even Doni, though he annoys the heck out of me.
I finds Voban's beginning to be interesting, after all he was born in a different time period, the time serfs and dukes. He grew up as a orphan and poor.Seeing the young Voban struggle to survive and how being a Campione changed his life.
He singled-handled changed the magic community in Europe.

Also Luo Hao story would be interesting, she was apparently taught to be a maiden or a wife. So I assume she grew up in a noble family. Maybe she was sick of that life and escape one day and BOOM! A god came out of nowhere and she killed it.

Last edited by Vezon; 2014-02-18 at 17:48.
Vezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 17:43   Link #9498
erdii

Vobab is missing since the volume 2, actually I really can't stand Doni anymore. for a character that was made to be idiot, he is an idiot at god level. his legend may give birth to god of idoitness somewhere. I want to see if he raised another death army well he said he was targetted often, not sure of that maybe he meant that the past tense
Old 2014-02-18, 18:32   Link #9499
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
I find the background of almost every Campione fascinating and enticing. Every backstory - cept for Doni - sounds intriguingly interesting. I can imagine a whole bunch of scenarios how each and every contemporary Campione had his first fight against a God, but I wouldn't mind actually reading about all of those.

We keep hearing about Lady Aisha's methods, but that gives us no clue on how she actually bested the first god she encountered.

Alexandre surely schemed his way to victory, but the methods and circumstances are unclear. It has also been hinted that Princess Alice has deep connections to this story. Some mighty foreshadowing that will hopefully be elaborated on!

I frankly don't remember if anything about the Marquis' first usurpation had been mentioned in the earlier volumes, but I can see a vivid image of the young Sasha fighting til his very last breath.

Annie is one of my favorite Campiones so far, I think she received a lot of backup from her old mage friend. Actually several of her authority acquisitions seem incredibly alluring to read about. I honestly wish we could get like a whole volume of her battles against Gods.

The backstory of her eminence Luo Hao seems far more intriguing than her first bout with a god though. I can totally see her (wo)manhandling that pesky upstart god fellah.

To say a few words about Doni, we basically got his fight in a nutshell. He charged in like a berserker, took a few beatings, almost died, but in the end he won. Meh. His fight against the near immortal Siegfried alongside the so very often hinted at backstory of the Marquis summoning a God seems noteworthy enough to get ~half a volume of coverage.

There you have it, all of the 6 Campione aside from our protagonist seem to have had incredible fights, almost all of which I eagerly wish to read about sometime in the future. Since our dear author shan't delay the progression of the main storyline too much, I hope to see interesting filler volumes squeezed neatly inbetween.
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 21:13   Link #9500
Feng Lengshun
Old Wine

@RpR1337 & Ultragunner

One answer: He's a Japanese guy, with self-worth issues too. But mainly, he's a Japanese guy. If your answer is "So?" instead of "Oh yeah," then you're not familiar enpugh with Japanese culture and values. You have to adjust your values and perspective when you're dealing with a guy from another culture, just like I did with Godou in that one analysis over people's complain of him.

Try reading this, I think it is in the romance section: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...-to-Fanfiction

Edit: Yep, it is, AND the next page makes it clearer too.

@else

If there is anything I want to see, it's Drama, the Campione really lacks it. But since it's going to be a short story volume, then heartwarming d'aww anf fluff that also deapens the characters is okay I guess.

Last edited by Feng Lengshun; 2014-02-18 at 22:06.

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel, true harem