AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-29, 02:52   Link #101
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
OMG, Chiko is scary... But I wanna see this "sly face" of hers again One of the best spring series.
Ellaya_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 10:17   Link #102
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Episode 3 fansubbed has been released.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 01:24   Link #103
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Chiko's lie and her sinister smile was absolutely awesome beyond all sane reason.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 06:10   Link #104
Ash Falls Town

Well I really like this show and frankly I'm glad that I broke the MFI ban to watch it.
Although there isn't much to say except I think 20 Faces is less interested in stealing stuff and more interested in destroying super weapons. I'll like to keep watching to see how wrong I turn out to be.
Ash Falls Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 06:25   Link #105
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
i feel i should point out that this series look -alot- like big O,
now don't get me wrong i'm happy that it is as i really liked big O and i really like this..

but i just have to point it out
Spoiler for bigO:

roger smith==nijuumensou
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 12:01   Link #106
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
... think 20 Faces is less interested in stealing stuff and more interested in destroying super weapons. I'll like to keep watching to see how wrong I turn out to be.
I think you may be right. I was a bit put off by some stuff about "if only that tank had been finished before the war ended" and by the old-fashioned portrayal of Chinese, but the underlying theme of destroying the weapons and hating war makes me feel good. It has the flavor of the anti-war side of Japanese policy. It looks to me as if 20 Faces may have fought in the war and hated it.
Spoiler for ep3:
And thanks, Tofusensei.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 01:54   Link #107
Skyw4lker

Did Chiko really smuggle explosives aboard or was it just a bluff?

Spoiler for Episode 3:

That said, I'm really looking forward to episode 4.
Skyw4lker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 04:16   Link #108
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I can't get over how the show actually doesn't just fool the characters going against Twenty Faces, but US the viewers as well. I get goosebumps for thinking we're being strung along like this (ep 1 was the best example, but ep 3 was no slouch either). It's like the show is toying with the viewers. In a good way.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 11:55   Link #109
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyw4lker View Post
Spoiler for Episode 3:
The sub has been out for a couple of days, so I am not using spoiler tags.

Yes, I believe Chiko smuggled explosives aboard, disguised as the bottom layer of the rice-balls (nigiri). She also likely made the explosive rice-balls, since it isn't easy to make them the right shape, and she was skilled enough to do that. They didn't need more than enough to blow up the plane, since blowing up the plane was their goal (as well as getting some gold).

I agree with SuperKnuckles that it has been enjoyable to be toyed with through at least two of these three episodes. They have done it in a very natural way that does not leave you feeling cheated.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-05-04, 00:42   Link #110
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
Finally ep 4 is out! ) I think it's about a year passed. Chiko grown up. She's really look like the "Heiress of the Phantom Thief" especially in this ep. Love this show more and more.
Ellaya_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 13:15   Link #111
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Ooooo, a time jump! That should speed Chiko's growth up a bit.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 15:57   Link #112
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
I think 20 Faces is less interested in stealing stuff and more interested in destroying super weapons.
Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't really given the question of why they blew up the plane enough thought. This also helps me understand why we're supposed to sympathize with a bunch of master thieves, which has been bothering me for a while in this show.

So far, Twenty Faces and Company don't appear to be a modern Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I see the stealing from the rich but not much giving to the poor. They did throw the wallet to the woman who appeared to be helping them, but that was more payment for services rendered. Destroying super weapons gives them a more admirable goal than simply outsmarting "pigs" and stealing their prized possessions.

I do admire his decision to "adopt" Chiko, though he had emotional needs of his own that bringing a young girl into his life might meet. In a couple of speeches he displays a wistful longing for more in life and appears to see Chiko as the path to that. He might be as interested in developing an emotional life as he is in destroying weapons.

I guess a number of us found Hirano's delivery of the rice balls line in episode three especially strking. It's been mentioned more than once in other postings about this show.

Daughter of Twenty Faces vies with Kurenai for my attention thus far this season. I like the absence of fantasy elements in this show, but the story in Kurenai has so far been more compelling. They both have excellent voice-acting performances, solid writing, and lovely artwork. I expect I'll be watching both these shows until their conclusions.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-05-04 at 16:45. Reason: diction
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 16:36   Link #113
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
...This also helps me understand why we're supposed to sympathize with a bunch of master thieves, which has been bothering me for a while in this show. So far, Twenty Faces and Company don't appear to be a modern Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I see the stealing from the rich but not much giving to the poor....
Spoiler for ep4:
2channel is interesting, with a number of people saying they hadn't watched previous episodes but loved this one. One poster said that when he saw Hirano's name he thought it was a moe anime and wasn't interested, but he's glad he found out it's something quite different. Other posters are completely infatuated with Chiko, however, and express some rather graphic wishes. A couple of posters said they didn't like the way Hirano is doing the character, but most who express any opinion love her work here.
Old 2008-05-04, 20:51   Link #114
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Other posters are completely infatuated with Chiko, however, and express some rather graphic wishes.
I guess that's something that can't be helped......
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 01:41   Link #115
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
The sub has been out for a couple of days, so I am not using spoiler tags.

Yes, I believe Chiko smuggled explosives aboard, disguised as the bottom layer of the rice-balls (nigiri). She also likely made the explosive rice-balls, since it isn't easy to make them the right shape, and she was skilled enough to do that. They didn't need more than enough to blow up the plane, since blowing up the plane was their goal (as well as getting some gold).

I agree with SuperKnuckles that it has been enjoyable to be toyed with through at least two of these three episodes. They have done it in a very natural way that does not leave you feeling cheated.

I believe she didn't bring any explosives.

Its really suspicious because. All theives looked at Chiko and waiting for her to answer. And Chiko hesitated a bit.

If I were the captain I would believe Chiko either way since children usually don't lie with a sudden question like that with THAT kind of expression. I would not risk it.

Also, 20 faces showed the captain a "bomb" which was of course revealed at the end a rice ball.

Besides if it was a bomb. Wouldn't it be heavy for Chiko to hold all of them alone ?
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 04:06   Link #116
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Other posters are completely infatuated with Chiko, however, and express some rather graphic wishes.
Yeah, this is an all too common thing that happens in all anime shows. Each anime will have at least one female character that an "X" amount of fans obsess over. I'm sure all of us have been in this situation at one time or another.

Anyways, I continue to enjoy this series a lot. It keeps drawing me in further and leaves me wanting to see the next episode after every viewing. BTW, I'm not just saying this because I'm a part of the group that is subbing the series, either.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 06:51   Link #117
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I do admire his decision to "adopt" Chiko, though he had emotional needs of his own that bringing a young girl into his life might meet. In a couple of speeches he displays a wistful longing for more in life and appears to see Chiko as the path to that. He might be as interested in developing an emotional life as he is in destroying weapons.
Keeping all what you just said in mind, i was surprised about the few hints to his backstort --- already appearing in just the third episode. For me this just adds more fuel to my past idea that he'll:

A) Go into hiding soon for reasons unknown
B) Die
Old 2008-05-05, 09:55   Link #118
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
I believe she didn't bring any explosives.
Me, neither. What made that scene so powerful to me was how quickly Chiko realized she needed to lie and how effectively she did so. While Twenty Faces has seemed willing to bring Chiko into dangerous situations, I don't think he'd have asked her to make bombs just yet. I suspect she won't be so innocent after a few more episodes, though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 11:58   Link #119
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
I believe she didn't bring any explosives. Its really suspicious because. All theives looked at Chiko and waiting for her to answer. And Chiko hesitated a bit. If I were the captain I would believe Chiko either way since children usually don't lie with a sudden question like that with THAT kind of expression. I would not risk it.... Besides if it was a bomb. Wouldn't it be heavy for Chiko to hold all of them alone ?
Good points, but if Chiko didn't bring the explosives, how did they get there? And why would she have to lie? The gang already had control of the situation.
Old 2008-05-05, 19:20   Link #120
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
And why would she have to lie? The gang already had control of the situation.
I would say it was a slatemate when the explosive story part came out.

Episode 4: ♥ 12 year old Chiko ♥
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, maturation, seinen, shounen