AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-28, 21:33   Link #21
Melpomene
Disabled By Request

I suppose, though I find it easy as a history major, there is usually some one of note within a hundred years of each other. If the show is bias like that then, I shall not take heed at much of their words. It's just the large gaps in technology seems a weird thing to do. Oh well, I shall take my leave of this- Please ignore me and carry on.
Melpomene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 21:48   Link #22
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Technology always seems to win in the end like in the battle between Sun Tzu vs Vlad the Impaler.
Ehhh...the Spartan would like a word with you.
Old 2011-07-28, 22:13   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Who did the Spartan face?
Old 2011-07-28, 22:38   Link #24
Knightrunner

Quote:
Who did the Spartan face?
I think they faced the ninjas.
Old 2011-07-28, 23:24   Link #25
Demongod86

And samurais. And won both times.
Old 2011-07-29, 00:24   Link #26
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Don't forget Jesse James vs. Al Capone...
Old 2011-07-29, 02:21   Link #27
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

How come the east Asian warriors cannot win (except for shaolin monk)?

Next week: USA vs. N. Korea, I think USA will win this one,

We will see...

Need to see more 1 vs 1 though
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 03:22   Link #28
Demongod86

Samurai beat viking.
Old 2011-07-29, 04:21   Link #29
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
(unless we pit Julius Caesar against Hannibal).
Julius Caesar vs Hannibal would have been wicked awesome. Gengis Khan should be pitted against someone like Oda Nobunaga imo. Mounted archers vs matchlock-armed infantry.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 17:31   Link #30
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Otto the Great vs Charlemagne instead of Charlemagne vs Julius Caesar
Knights vs Samurais instead of Samurais vs Vikings/Spartans

The only thing I have an issue with this series besides the biased standpoint in most matches and the difference in time periods. Is that its completely computer generated and the 1 out of 1000 match that we see completely decides who wins overall when we didn't see all the other matches which could have a different output. Also the fact that everything is computer generated without taking into mind what the human mind would actually do. Sun Tzu might have actually won the fight if he lit the grass on fire in his match against Vlad the Impaler.
Old 2011-07-30, 17:54   Link #31
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
That's assuming Vlad was attacking again. If Vlad was defending, Sun Tzu would be walking into a nightmarish spectacle.
Old 2011-07-31, 02:11   Link #32
siegn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

U.S. Army Rangers vs. North Korean Special Operation Force

Rangers.

Oh come on, man.
considering im in the army i have to go with rangers lmao.

Looking forward to the new episodes though
siegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 05:49   Link #33
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
That's assuming Vlad was attacking again. If Vlad was defending, Sun Tzu would be walking into a nightmarish spectacle.
Yea, Vlad the Impaler is a more capable commander than his image as a bloodthirsty killer make it look to be. He was constantly challenged by all sides, ottomans and his own people, especially the boyars, and he eventually fell. But, he is still seen as a hero in his homeland for having stood against the Ottomans and the enemies from the inside.
Old 2011-08-03, 02:13   Link #34
Demongod86

One other thing...just watched Ep 3.2's aftermath and...apparently Claire Dodin herself was the girl playing Joan in the reconstruction. O_o...she looks so different compared to that cute-faced redhead that was Joan.
Old 2011-08-04, 08:53   Link #35
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I used to like this show. It was cool to learn about all the weapons that different warriors throughout history used, and the demonstrations were pretty consistently off the chain. Lately, though, I've been disappointed.

Consider the second episode of this season. What kind of test was the crossbow matchup? Testing speed and accuracy against unarmored targets is probably the worst way to compare a steel crossbow with a hand-drawn one, ESPECIALLY in the context of a siege. First, speed means jack during a drawn-out castle assault. Second, accuracy is dependent (in this case, anyway) on the operator, not the weapon. Third, why not put some armored targets in there to show how powerful a bow with a 400lb draw really is?

The siege weapon test was worthless, too. Catapults WERE used to attack walls; probably the only reason they had it firing over instead was because it would be utterly ineffective compared to a cannon (which brought an end to the castle age because of how powerful it was).

The sword comparison wasn't awful (especially considering that the matchup WAS between a powerful male soldier and a teenage girl), and the armor evaluation was spot on. But what's the deal with "tactics" as a component? Where was that when SUN TZU was on the show? And don't even get me started with the "X factors," which is just a bunch of numbers the guys pulled out of their butts.

Yes, Deadliest Warrior was fun to watch once. Unfortunately, there's only so many times you can see someone stab a pig and still find it interesting, and the complete lack of anything close to legitimate weapon comparisons (as well as the presence of all the legitimate intangibles during the tests that are summarily ignored) makes the show disappointing, not interesting.
Old 2011-08-04, 21:02   Link #36
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Give it a bit of time; the kinks should be worked out by then.
Old 2011-08-05, 01:48   Link #37
Demongod86

First 2 seasons: "Hey, why didn't you account for tactics these generals would have used, or that this kind of a person is such and such a badass with his personality/ethos/yadda yadda"

Season 3: "Okay!"

Third season: "Hey how come you didn't include these things in the first 2 seasons?! And these intangibles are just a bunch of numbers you pulled out of your behinds!"

Seems like there's no winning with some people.
Old 2011-08-05, 01:50   Link #38
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Once people go into a rage. They will practically complain about anything new they add
Old 2011-08-05, 13:11   Link #39
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
First 2 seasons: "Hey, why didn't you account for tactics these generals would have used, or that this kind of a person is such and such a badass with his personality/ethos/yadda yadda"

Season 3: "Okay!"

Third season: "Hey how come you didn't include these things in the first 2 seasons?! And these intangibles are just a bunch of numbers you pulled out of your behinds!"

Seems like there's no winning with some people.
I guess my complaints stemmed from the fact that I always considered the show to be a pure weapon-on-weapon comparison. If there were tactical differences, they'd be inserted as flavor into the dramatizations. My issue with the whole Sun Tzu thing was not so much that this wasn't a show about tactics, but rather that they would have a military genius as one of the warriors in a show that didn't address that aspect of things.

In short, if you don't account for tactics, don't use Sun Tzu.
Old 2011-08-18, 12:38   Link #40
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Judging from all the episodes so far, my predictions have not been that far off.