AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-03-01, 11:54   Link #41
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

So I am new to this show (I haven't watched blood and sand yet), so is there a second season in Gods of the Arena?
Old 2011-03-01, 13:13   Link #42
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
So I am new to this show (I haven't watched blood and sand yet), so is there a second season in Gods of the Arena?
Gods of the Arena is a direct prequel to the Blood and Sand series, so no, it's just a mini 6 episode arc.
Old 2011-03-01, 15:07   Link #43
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Who's ready for the fight at Vesuvius in season 2?
Old 2011-04-13, 16:50   Link #44
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
This is airing in united states

In any case, epic show, despite butchering historical accuracy, anyway they were never good with incorporating sciences in entertainment... Mythbusters exempt
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 17:27   Link #45
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Yet, most of the western world is unfamiliar with the legend of Spartacus, which gives them more leeway to do what they want. The new show, Camelot, however... has no such luxury to do so, yet they did it anyway (and thus butchered the story so badly that you can't even really consider it to be Arthurian anymore). The show has kept to the finer points, with Spartacus, Crixus and Oenameus (think I spelled it wrong, but whatever) leading the revolt, and as long as they keep the major points in line, the show will do fine. As said before, Camelot messed up so badly, it would be the equivalent of Spartacus killing Crixus in the arena in episode 3. Yeah, that bad.
Old 2011-04-13, 20:57   Link #46
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, Camelot (which i think needs its own thread) is a completely new retelling. they decided not to go for accuracy. which is why we have knights we've never heard of and stuff like that. instead we'll get the general idea of how he came to power, but the way he got there will be completely different fro what we know.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 21:06   Link #47
delirium
Banned

I enjoyed Blood and Sand, and Gods of the Arena. I'm awfully sad that Andy Whitfield is having such a hard time with his cancer, and that they were forced to replace him for the title role, yet we can wish Andy the best of luck and hope this new fellow will be as good as he.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 23:55   Link #48
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
well, Camelot (which i think needs its own thread) is a completely new retelling. they decided not to go for accuracy. which is why we have knights we've never heard of and stuff like that. instead we'll get the general idea of how he came to power, but the way he got there will be completely different fro what we know.
I'm sorry, but turning two of Arthur's sisters into one person makes the legend impossible. If you have Morgausse's thirst for power combined with Morganna (who couldn't care less about the throne, as she firmly believed, and knew, it belonged to the little brother WHOM SHE RAISED for 6-7 years), you create a problem. Mainly, that problem is that if Arthur and Morganna are against each other, please explain how Arthur is to knock up his sister? Mind you, he did that at 14, and she was 21. I'm all for retelling, but when you change critical points, you can't call it the same story.
Old 2011-04-14, 11:46   Link #49
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

you're assuming people know that much about the legend. the extent of knowledge the average person has on the subject is: Arthur pulls sword from stone. Merlin is a wizard. He establishes Camelot and has knights that sit at a round table. if you're lucky, they'll know Lancelot and how he stabbed himself by accident.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-04-14, 20:02   Link #50
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Quote:
you're assuming people know that much about the legend. the extent of knowledge the average person has on the subject is: Arthur pulls sword from stone. Merlin is a wizard. He establishes Camelot and has knights that sit at a round table. if you're lucky, they'll know Lancelot and how he stabbed himself by accident.
You mean how he died from looking at the Holy Grail because its purity was too much for him to take in his old age. Also, the fact that Mordred usurped the throne is pretty well known, and that Morganna is his mother is as well.
Still, there's key points you can't overlook/change, and Spartacus got those right so far, now we just have to see if they can do the battles right. Vesuvius will be one of the first examples of that, and I pray they do it right.
Old 2011-04-16, 05:40   Link #51
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
You mean how he died from looking at the Holy Grail because its purity was too much for him to take in his old age. Also, the fact that Mordred usurped the throne is pretty well known, and that Morganna is his mother is as well.
Still, there's key points you can't overlook/change, and Spartacus got those right so far, now we just have to see if they can do the battles right. Vesuvius will be one of the first examples of that, and I pray they do it right.
Apparently they got toilets right too. I forget which episode of the prequel it was in, but the public, open air, toilet where Batiatus and Solenius take up dump in is supposed to be historically accurate.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 05:46   Link #52
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Not to be rude but the thing is most people won't care, as long as it is entertaining people will watch it whether or not it is accurate or not, everyone takes liberties when it comes to shows like that so a lot of the time most people are ignorant to the actual story.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:10   Link #53
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i know this is the spartacus thread, but i'mma talk about camelot anyways. they reworked the lady of the lake myth and how excalibur came to be. its a retelling in the sense that the very basic elements of the story are there, and everything else they can rework to their liking.

also, i have no idea about a battle at Vesuvius, and i took latin and roman history for 4 years..

Old 2011-04-16, 13:43   Link #54
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Quote:
i know this is the spartacus thread, but i'mma talk about camelot anyways. they reworked the lady of the lake myth and how excalibur came to be. its a retelling in the sense that the very basic elements of the story are there, and everything else they can rework to their liking.

also, i have no idea about a battle at Vesuvius, and i took latin and roman history for 4 years..
Might've got the location wrong, but i'm pretty sure that's where it was. Spartacus and the slave army had made camp atop the mountain, and a Roman Legate made his camp at the base, right in front of the only way up or down. The slave army used vines and repelled down the far side, then flanked the Legate's camp. Needless to say, the roman soldiers died by the wayside.
Old 2011-04-16, 14:07   Link #55
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

by that, i meant i don't know much about spartacus, despite the fact that i took a fair amount of roman history and latin. its one of those things where you get a general idea of what happened, and that's about it. that allows for the directors to have a lot of creative freedom when it comes to retelling the story, as with Spartacus and Camelot.

Old 2011-04-16, 14:18   Link #56
Flinch
Onii-chan~

I can understand having greater freedom, but when you change key things, it doesn't work. Like Oenameus dying in the ludus, didn't happen, because it's a key point that it CAN'T happen. In Camelot, when you successfully prevent Mordred's existence, how is the legend going to end?
Old 2011-08-05, 09:47   Link #57
killer3000ad

Yay for the continuation which airs in January 2012.
Old 2011-08-05, 15:51   Link #58
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Ahh good! Looking forward to how they will resolve the ending.

Spoiler for historical hint:
Old 2011-08-05, 19:23   Link #59
Flinch
Onii-chan~

1:20 - Is that Gannicus?
Old 2011-08-05, 19:58   Link #60
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Just started watching the 1st season. I really like the plot and stuff acting is pretty good too but the one throw off is the slow mo; it's WAY over used. So obvious they tried incorporating the 300 effects of blood and slow-mo into battle. Even the first sex scene is so closely to related to that of the 300 lolz. A good watch still nonetheless.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”

Last edited by barcode120x; 2011-08-05 at 21:59.
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote