AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-23, 18:41   Link #421
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Akagi = Mahjong with balls.
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya = Mahjong with cheating.
Saki = Mahjong with moe and superpowers.
Legend of Koizumi = mahjong with all of the above combined
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 19:25   Link #422
Crazy'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
And Super-Aryans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

WTF happened to her?!
I look like that to when Im desperately looking for the bathroom.
Crazy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 22:47   Link #423
FateAnomaly

Wow, they flashed through the prefecture tournament just like that.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 00:25   Link #424
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
And of course, the moment we've all been waiting for
Spoiler for Nodoka is mine, and no one else's:

Requoting this: You know, she looks like someone from a game who "died" thanks to a certain someone and dies with a smile??(Corpse party: Character name: Naomi)
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 01:08   Link #425
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya = Mahjong with cheating.
Wait. I've watched season 1 -- at least 30 times per episode. No, I cannot recall any kind of cheating in this series.

Out right crazy mahjong, coincidences, and sheer insanity. But deliberate cheating? No.

Oh wait. Hajime... damn her. Way to rob this series's innocence...

EDIT: But y'know what? I'm discounting that because Touka makes sure that she doesn't cheat. So, there! XD

Way to be a fanboy, Kyuu...

However...

Quote:
Koizumi is moe?! XD
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 02:42   Link #426
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Wait. I've watched season 1 -- at least 30 times per episode. No, I cannot recall any kind of cheating in this series.

Out right crazy mahjong, coincidences, and sheer insanity. But deliberate cheating? No.

Oh wait. Hajime... damn her. Way to rob this series's innocence...

EDIT: But y'know what? I'm discounting that because Touka makes sure that she doesn't cheat. So, there! XD

Way to be a fanboy, Kyuu...

However...

Koizumi is moe?! XD
When you ask for whether a person is moe or not, ask for the picture first.(Never watched that show at all. Never heard of it.)
(Though i never watch either of those except Akagi.)
Old 2012-04-24, 02:43   Link #427
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
When you ask for whether a person is moe or not, ask for the picture first.
(Though i never watch either of those except Akagi.)
Koizumi is a MAN! An old man...
Old 2012-04-24, 05:53   Link #428
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Koizumi is a MAN! An old man...
Maybe he is NOT talking about Koizumi... Or is talking about him minus the "moe" part.
Old 2012-04-24, 07:29   Link #429
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I finally got around to watching the third episode of this.

Well, that was certainly a rush, in more ways than one!

The energy of this series is great, as it was in the original Saki. It makes time seem to fly while you're watching it.

And the cameo appearances were fantastic, with one caveat that I'll get to in a bit.

But it does leave me curious... why switch to another school's perspective if you're going to go straight to the nationals after just three episodes? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels a much tighter connection to Team Kiyosumi than I do to this new team. Nothing wrong with this new team, of course, but I've only known them for... three episodes. I grew very attached to Saki/Nodoka's team over a full two cour anime.

And that brings up my caveat... are we now supposed to cheer against Saki and Nodoka? Saki was presented as an absolutely menacing villain here (the irony of that being pretty mind-blowing ). Seriously, if you never watched the original Saki before watching this spin-off, you'd think that Saki was the Darth Vader of this show, lol.

I mean, if the whole idea was to get to the nationals right away, why not just do a straight-up sequel? That would have been simpler and more pleasing to Saki fans, wouldn't it? All this for three episodes worth of content that I'm sure could have been decently handled flashback style (just like how competing schools were handled in the original Saki anime).

All I can conclude is that the makers of this show want to turn Team Saki/Nodoka from main protagonists into main antagonists, and bring in a bunch of new protagonists. As someone who really liked Team Saki/Nodoka, I'm not exactly cool with that.

But I guess this is very amusing to me in one way. I once compared Saki Miyanaga to Hulk Hogan, due to their highly similar "consistent magical comebacks from seemingly getting destroyed" styles. Well, I guess Saki has something else in common with the Hulkster now... she's also apparently going Hollywood with her new World order-style villainy...

All-told, a very fun watch, but one that's left me scratching my head a bit.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-04-24 at 07:40.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 08:48   Link #430
Peanutbutter

^

Well, I have my views on the real purpose of having this series at all, but I'll reserve my comments, perhaps after this ends.

Good things await to those who can wait.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 09:20   Link #431
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels a much tighter connection to Team Kiyosumi than I do to this new team. Nothing wrong with this new team, of course, but I've only known them for... three episodes. I grew very attached to Saki/Nodoka's team over a full two cour anime.
How can you not cheer for them!!!

They have to safe their beloved friend, Nodoka who is now trapped in the hand of breast-hunger-demon, Miyanaga Saki. This goal is admirable enough to root for them!!!

Spoiler for Devilish Saki image:

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-04-24 at 09:33.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 09:35   Link #432
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post

They have to safe their beloved friend, Nodoka who is now trapped in the hand of breast-hunger-demon, Miyanaga Saki. This goal is admirable enough to root for them!!!

The image did the opposite to me. It made me want to root for Evil Badass Saki even more. Imagine all the delicious yuri possiblities.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 10:27   Link #433
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
All-told, a very fun watch, but one that's left me scratching my head a bit.
Personally I'm rather liking this concept of having spin offs with really,really close universes with alternate protagonists whose stories complement each other. I wished more franchises followed that route.

As for season 2 of Saki itself, worry not, the main manga is still ongoing so we'll eventually get that too. The thing is that by the time we get to the anticipated Achiga vs Kiyosumi confrontation we will have a very, very interesting setup.

Though I do agree that this series rushes through its matches a little too much... well, not always. Let's wait and see what do they have in store for us.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 10:30   Link #434
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
The image did the opposite to me. It made me want to root for Evil Badass Saki even more. Imagine all the delicious yuri possiblities.
Know your Yanderes(Or Yandere-like) girls well... even if its to the other girls.
Taken from both MAL and here.

And who do not want to root for her man... I am joining in the fun. Who's agrees?
If Gundam pilots play Mahjong, who will be the next "Saki"?(Image wise from 2nd spoiler of Requiem-x)

Only felt the Bansei vs Achiga's match too fast paced, we don't get to see the actual abilities(Other than dora catcher.), just normal fights. And here is some i got from MAL.

[mod edit: spoilers removed]

Next episode, 1st match. From what i see in the preview, Ram and Rom?(VA jokes intended here as i don't know their character's name, and the school... =_=(Bad memory.)) vs Achiga? Is it?

Speaking of which, only those who has special abilities are able to sense the other opponent's pressure right?(Newtypes are everywhere, if you get what i mean.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-04-24 at 13:45. Reason: removed spoilers
Old 2012-04-24, 11:42   Link #435
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Personally I'm rather liking this concept of having spin offs with really,really close universes with alternate protagonists whose stories complement each other. I wished more franchises followed that route.
Plus, we now get to see the same event - from a side-perspective.

Quote:
As for season 2 of Saki itself, worry not, the main manga is still ongoing so we'll eventually get that too. The thing is that by the time we get to the anticipated Achiga vs Kiyosumi confrontation we will have a very, very interesting setup.

Though I do agree that this series rushes through its matches a little too much... well, not always. Let's wait and see what do they have in store for us.
Season 2 stuff. I'd rather not see any of it now. Maybe a peek here and there. But nothing much. Gotta save all that stuff for the big whammy.
Old 2012-04-24, 11:46   Link #436
Qilin
Romanticist

What can I say about this episode?

As a manga reader, I guess I was impressed at how the anime managed to cover all of the important points while retaining the plots coherence. I'd discuss the story's pacing issues, but this is all for the greater good. You''ll see.

One of the things the kept me hooked to the episode was the sheer volume of cameos of the main story's characters (and even some from the manga) in it. I was pleasantly surprised to see Koromo and Saki animated once again.

Speaking of Saki's new menacing image, I don't think it's anything new. I do remember a scene in the original anime where Touka, Jun, Hajime, and Tomoki where terrified by Saki's aura while looking for a bathroom. In the aforementioned scene in the spin-off, the situation is similar with her getting lost while looking for a bathroom. It seems looking for a toilet is serious business for a certain someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post

This pic made my day. I am now a devout follower of dark Saki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
[mod edit: spoilers removed]
Apparently, a common strategy in these kinds of competitions is to put one's strongest players in the Vanguard position.

As the original show once demonstrated, it is entirely possible to win without the Vice Captain and Captain matches even occurring if any other opposing team's score can be reduced to zero before then. A such, many teams employ this strategy for a strong start and finish the match prematurely. In a sense, Kiyosumi's logic of putting their strongest players in the final positions is more unorthodox.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-04-24 at 13:46.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 11:51   Link #437
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Speaking of Saki's new menacing image, I don't think it's anything new. I do remember a scene in the original anime where Touka, Jun, Hajime, and Tomoki where terrified by Saki's aura while looking for a bathroom. In the aforementioned scene in the spin-off, the situation is similar with her getting lost while looking for a bathroom. It seems looking for a toilet is serious business for a certain someone.
Of course. But, that scene wasn't as menacing when you include Saki tripping over herself. On top of that, Saki's gameplay features joy - not vindiction.
Old 2012-04-24, 12:06   Link #438
Marina2

@Scarletknive Let me expain something in respond to your 'spoiler' tag. (oh, don't worry I didn't type all of this just for you. I always want to post something like this for a while. ^^)

There are two popular strategies that are commonly used in player placement (this can be seen in Saki SS1 too.)

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................
1) Send out your Ace (or you can called "monster") first [Offensive style]
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................

Idea:
- This strategy aims to gain as many points as possible in vanguard match and let other team member of your team maintain/protect the points for the rest of a game.

Advantage:
1) If other team didn't send thier ace in vanguard match, it will be a cake walk for your ace.
2.) If your Ace manage to gain a lot point from other team, it will be hard for them to catch up with your team's point. The rest is to let other team member to protect points you got.
3.) It will be a plus if you got many ability users or skilled players in your team. Usually, you should have another strong player placed in captain match just to be sure.
4.) If your point is high enough (around 50,000+ above second place) when captain match start, even you face "monster", with a good defensive play those monster won't be able to beat your team.
5. You may can reduce other team point below zero. ( the game end insantly)

Disadvantage
1. If your Ace is not able to gain high enough point or yor Ace get destroy form other team's Ace, your team is ruined.
2. If your members are screw up in protecting your point, your team is screw up too.
3. Sometime the "monster" in captain match maybe too strong.....
4. It can create a lot of stress for other team member.

Example user: Kazekoshi, Shiratodai (Watch ep.25 of the first season to understand)

2.) Send out your Ace last (Defensive style)
Idea:
- Let your teammates play at their best, then let your ace covers everything up in captain match.

Advantage
1) No matter how your team doing, you can be sure that there is a/an monster/Ace player to turn the table for your team at captain match.
2) Due to #1 Team members can play with out much stress and if it goes well, your team motivation will up
3.) Sometime, you may lucky to find out that other members than Aces/monsters of other school are super weak. The win is almost gurrantee.
4) It will be a plus if you got many ability users or skilled players in your team. Usually, you should have another strong player placed in vanguard match to control the damage.
5.) If you Ace/Monster is godlike, very high win chance for your team.

Disadvantage
1.) You're better sure that your Ace/monster is good enough to handle the duty in captain match because there will be a lot of stress and expection placed on her. It will even worse if your team get crushed so hard by other team Ace/Monster's in vangurad match. If you think your ace can't do it, you sholud use [Offensive style] insted.
2. If you fight a team that all members are skilled, the point different from them maybe too high when a game reach captain match.
3. Your point may get reduced to below zero before your ace get to play. ( the game end insantly)

Example user: Kiyosumi,Ryuumonbushi,Tsuruga
.................................................. ...................................

Now, do you guys think which is the better one?

P.S. This is just my own interpretation.

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-04-24 at 12:39.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 12:37   Link #439
chaos_animagic

So... we're going to have a "Dark Saki Cult" now? LOL
(Dark Saki looks sooo sexy... *Imagines the things she do to Nodoka*)

Also... I still can't help but want to poke Yuu Matsumi... whenever she's confused or "wobbling"... I just want to poke her, LOL. (BTW... her futon... is sooo bulgy... how many things did she stuff there?)

And it's sooo nice to see the original (saki) players again...
Damn you Koromo... still being a "moe killer" I see... (in more ways than one)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 13:29   Link #440
King-Slayer

Quote:
This is something i agree with. I think it expands the universe in a good way and kinda wish more franchises would follow suit

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-04-24 at 13:47. Reason: removed spoilers
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri