AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-12-05, 20:03   Link #281
ReddyRedWolf

Interesting stuff on the politics. Last ep we know that Japan was one of the losers of the last war.

Here the government does not was dirt like war crimes being leaked as it would be pretext for sanctions and even occupation. They don't want to be a puppet state.

So the implication is that Japan got off lightly like Germany did in WWI. Paying reparations to countries they've either invaded or occupied.

Basically what Imperial Japan wanted. A negotiated peace treaty or armistice if they were at the losing side of WWII, no unconditional surrender.

Despite that content it does portray Japanese far-right politics in a bad light fictionally in Ghost in Shell Arise series.

While VV was obviously a culprit as she was not part of Motoko Kusanagi's team in any iteration it was surprise she was a self aware AI that was looking for her origin.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 12:13   Link #282
Dop
Mmmm....

It's not so much the people having their memories hacked as the reasons behind this which is the interesting part. The political infighting, and the digs at some aspects of real-world Japanese politics. It's the kind of thing SF should do and it works for me.

Presumably next episode we'll see how Togusa joins the team.

And not forgetting "Spiderkoma, spiderkoma, Does whatever a spiderkoma does". Not sure if the scenes of the Logikoma going round the city on wires should be dubbed to the old Spiderman theme or to the first Attack on Titan OP. That was quite fun.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 08:20   Link #283
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Heh. I LOLed at Saito joining up with Batou 'cause of money.

And I snickered at the Marine background since the JSDF doesn't have a marine or an amphibious force. Although I remember that a future marine corp/naval infantry will come from personnel of the JGSDF's Western Army Infantry Regiment, which is trained for amphibious assaults.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 21:21   Link #284
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
A respectful homage to Shirow Masamune's manga and Mamoru Oshii's seminal film Ghost in the Shell, this is a modernized direction that still tries to stays true to the original creator's vision.

What started as a photo tribute directed by Ash Thorp and Tim Tadder (photography), soon became a worldwide collaboration of more than 20 artists from around the world, with each and everyone coming together to help breath life into the project, resulting in the artistic interpretation you see below.

For a film that was a comment on the uber-connected society of the future, Project 2501 ended up being itself an example of how this collaborative group of creatives are so connected ourselves. Many of us never met beyond the communications provided by the vast and infinite net, but still came together to make the ultimate tribute to Ghost in the Shell.

Everyone of us wanted the opportunity to pay homage to a ground-breaking film that gave us so much. We sincerely hope you enjoy our effort to capture the energy and beauty of the original film's title sequence.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 23:08   Link #285
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

FUNIMATION released a press statement that they are in the middle of doing the English version of Arise. No cast details yet.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2014-06-29, 11:58   Link #286
kuromitsu

Oh hey, episode 3 has been released!

I... don't know what to think of this episode, really. I know this is a separate production and a "prequel", so I can allow differences in characterization, but not THIS much! The Major was ridiculously OOC in this ep, especially when she blew up at Togusa. What the hell. (Let alone Batou being present and not saying anything about it. What the hell, Batou.)

It doesn't help that I don't know anymore how we're supposed to perceive her - someone relatively young, as her teenage-looking design and the first episode seemed to suggest (to me, anyway), or an experienced, battle-hardened veteran who has been already through some very tough things in Unit 501, as this episode suggested. (But then why is she so surprised at young-looking cyborgs? I mean, really, she, of all people should be aware that when you have a prosthetic body/face you can look as young as you want...) And if she's an experienced, battle-hardened veteran then why on earth did she not run a background check on her boyfriend? She has a boyfriend in the manga, too (actually she has the same record with boyfriends), and while it's been a long while since I read the manga, IIRC there it's mentioned that they both ran extensive background checks on each other. It doesn't help, that the boyfriend looked like he stepped out of a classic shoujo manga...

The whole subplot was so ridiculously transparent. Bah. By now I know I shouldn't expect this series to be as brilliant as GITS:SAC, but really now, come on. I'm not exactly thrilled by the setup for the last episode either...

What I did like was Togusa (although I didn't like how little screentime he got - they really could've cut the lovey-dovey scenes shorter), and that the future Section 9 team actually behaves like a team. I mean, hey, Borma has lines! And he does stuff! Then again, it would've been a waste to cast Nakai Kazuya for just a couple of lines. I wonder wtf was up with Saitou, though.

But all in this was a very weird episode, and not in a good way. I can't say I liked it. Pity.

So far GITS Arise has been more "meh" than "yay" for me. I liked the first episode the most, I liked the second too, but it was seriously lacking, and this third one was simply weird. I hope the last episode will make up for it...

Also, this has been bothering me from the start - why on earth are the Major's legs shorter when she's wearing heels than when she doesn't? seriously guys, this is basic character design.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 23:31   Link #287
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I liked Border 3, we got to see a romantic side of Major don't think I've ever seen that before. I need the OST and the ending song is perfect, Sean Lennon ha such a nice voice.

Last edited by King Lycan; 2014-06-30 at 00:31.
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 12:37   Link #288
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ugh, the romance elements in this episode were so bad. This is the first time I've been so disappointed by a GITS work. It was definitely not up to the franchise's standards.
Old 2014-07-01, 14:59   Link #289
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Oh god
The first one was awful , the next one , the second was okay/good

but the third is bad again ?

I'll see it tough , oh my lord
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 20:57   Link #290
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

The scene where everyone is shooting at the tank....uh did everyone forget that bullets deflect off?
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 10:56   Link #291
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I could've sworn that I read somewhere Oshi confirmed that she's a lesbian?
Old 2014-07-10, 13:05   Link #292
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I thought she's Bi. Isn't she interested in Batou in the movies & GITS to some degree?
Old 2014-07-10, 15:43   Link #293
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Nope, not that I know of. Also, even in the very unlikely case that he did say something to that effect, Oshii Mamoru is not an authority on any version of Motoko other than the one in the two theatrical movies (GITS and Innocence).

In the manga Motoko has both boyfriends (and she apparently has wild monkey sex with them) and also female friends-with-benefits. In SAC she has the female friends-with-benefits but also goes on record saying that once she loved Kuze (a guy) and even aside of that she has that pretty strong sexual tension and will-they-won't-they relationship with Batou.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 17:40   Link #294
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Nope, not that I know of. Also, even in the very unlikely case that he did say something to that effect, Oshii Mamoru is not an authority on any version of Motoko other than the one in the two theatrical movies (GITS and Innocence).

In the manga Motoko has both boyfriends (and she apparently has wild monkey sex with them) and also female friends-with-benefits. In SAC she has the female friends-with-benefits but also goes on record saying that once she loved Kuze (a guy) and even aside of that she has that pretty strong sexual tension and will-they-won't-they relationship with Batou.
What if Makoto, due to her history of growing up in a cyborg body from a very young age, doesn't really see the need to distinguish between male and female and is therefore interested in both? Could that not be an interesting detail that adds to her character?
Old 2014-07-23, 08:34   Link #295
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
What if Makoto, due to her history of growing up in a cyborg body from a very young age, doesn't really see the need to distinguish between male and female and is therefore interested in both? Could that not be an interesting detail that adds to her character?
It would if the audience would appreciate such a detail. However the reality may be that it would get lost and audience would just focus on the girl-on girl sex imo.
Old 2014-07-23, 12:03   Link #296
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Seems a lot of people wish every female character ever was a lesbian hehe.

But what crazy woman would be a lesbian solong as Batou was alive O_o

XD

Didn't she jokingly offer sex to that little kid? Not only may she be Bi, but a PEDO! She... He!? My GOD she could even be a bad guy in disguise!
Old 2014-07-23, 14:27   Link #297
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It would if the audience would appreciate such a detail. However the reality may be that it would get lost and audience would just focus on the girl-on girl sex imo.
I think the GITS audience might just be the kind of audience to do it. Remember that we're talking about the franchise that has a very heavy movie called Innocence. To be fair that one went mostly over my head since I'm not literate enough to fully grasp all the references
Old 2014-07-24, 21:48   Link #298
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think the GITS audience might just be the kind of audience to do it. Remember that we're talking about the franchise that has a very heavy movie called Innocence. To be fair that one went mostly over my head since I'm not literate enough to fully grasp all the references
But this franchise is a mainstream franchise. Therefore, what I said above applies.
Old 2014-07-29, 20:30   Link #299
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

FUNIMATION will release GITSA in North America on 10/21 with English and Japanese voice tracks.

Old 2014-07-30, 19:13   Link #300
orion

I started buying the import. I finish buying the import. It's the completest in me.

Tags
re-imagining, science fiction