AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-04-24, 10:37   Link #41
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Unfortunately I don't think the Master System variations of the first game's levels will be acknowledged. The Genesis/Megadrive is the console Sonic became a international icon on and when he was able to compete alongside Mario.

It's certainly possible we might see a Sonic CD stage in this game since it was the one that introduced Amy and Metal Sonic into the series thus quite important to the series' history. I also agree, it's my favorite of the Genesis-era games too. The time travel mechanic was so creative.~

I'm assuming at least one stage for each major title. I s'pose I'll list which stages I'm expecting to see the most for each:

Spoiler for Expected Stage List:

I'm content with any stages they decide to choose though. I'm anxious to hear the BGM remixes for the stages as well.~
You're missing the Advance and more importantly the Rush series.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 13:51   Link #42
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Don't agree with Carnival Night. It's a nice zone but there's too much bad blood over the issue with the barrel in act 2 and how almost everyone could never get past it even though the actual solution (holding up and down on D-pad) seems so incredibly obvious.

Hydrocity would be nicer, being one of the few actually good water levels in the series and because it's an incredibly awesome zone in its own right. Good music too.
I know everyone hated that drum, but in turn doesn't that make Carnival Night an incredibly memorable stage?

Hydrocity does make sense now that I think about it though. Being one of the water stages where you were actually above the water's surface for most of the time. That could work too.~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
You're missing the Advance and more importantly the Rush series.
I personally don't see any levels being re-made from those games. They're not considered main titles either. The only reason I could see 1 Rush level being re-made is because the game introduced Blaze the Cat, who is appearing frequently in the games now.

If they do then okay, but at the moment I don't see it happening.
Old 2011-04-24, 14:01   Link #43
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The Carnival Night drama still makes me laugh. Just goes to show what happens when you don't read the game manual.
Old 2011-04-24, 14:44   Link #44
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The Carnival Night drama still makes me laugh. Just goes to show what happens when you don't read the game manual.
Would be great if it mentioned it in the manual
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 16:49   Link #45
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic View Post
Would be great if it mentioned it in the manual
Yes i know, was joking.

Seems like i'm the only one here who doesn't like the idea of the levels for this game just being updated versions of favourites from past games. Sure SEGA have finally worked out a 3D system that works, together with using the 2D system from the Rush game, though they're basically saying fans won't be happy unless we're playing the Megadrive games again, which is them totally admitting defeat.

Maybe it's the fact that i've been let down by SEGA for so many years now, though hopefully this won't affect this new game for me.
Old 2011-04-24, 17:00   Link #46
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

SEGA has stated that not every new Sonic game is going to please every fan. There's a bunch of different variations of the series and all the fans have their own preferences on Sonic and what his world should be like.

In this case though, SEGA said they wanted to make a game that all fans could enjoy for Sonic's 20th, so Generations features Classic Sonic and Genesis-era gameplay/levels for those who were around when the series began and have Modern Sonic and the Unleashed-style gameplay for the newcomers.

Sonic probably has the most unstable fanbase out of all of gaming, so making a game to please everyone isn't going to be easy, but Generations is looking to be a very good attempt.
Old 2011-04-24, 17:04   Link #47
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm very much aware of all that . I'm just throwing my own thoughts on the topic. That's all.
Old 2011-04-24, 17:15   Link #48
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Yes i know, was joking.

Seems like i'm the only one here who doesn't like the idea of the levels for this game just being updated versions of favourites from past games. Sure SEGA have finally worked out a 3D system that works, together with using the 2D system from the Rush game, though they're basically saying fans won't be happy unless we're playing the Megadrive games again, which is them totally admitting defeat.

Maybe it's the fact that i've been let down by SEGA for so many years now, though hopefully this won't affect this new game for me.
Oh, but I don't think that's quite it in this case. Colours was very well received, and I've seen a lot of positive impressions regarding the Unleashed-esque gameplay for modern Sonic in the Generations trailer -- even from those old time fans! I'd say that, aside from pleasing everyone, having both games together is also a good way to get these old time fans to buy this game and actually try the Unleashed versions for themselves. I'm amazed at the amount of terrible criticism I've seen towards the new games, and a lot of them feel like they are coming from people who watched a couple videos and decided they didn't like it because "it wasn't 2D". In a way, this game can help change that, because once you play Unleashed/Colours it's hard to deny that they are both very fun games, and in Colours' case, a quite polished one as well.

Also! I see what you mean, but I'm unsure about if 'updated versions' does justice to what we're getting. I'd probably share your feelings in case the Classic Sonic stages were just simple copies of the MD games with a facelift, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If Green Hill is any indicator, what we're getting are basically two versions of each old stage -- one for classic, one for modern. While the classic might resemble the original stage, modern Green Hill feels nothing like it, and is a complete reinvention of the stage for new Sonic standards. The same should happen in reverse, too, and that's what I'm mostly curious about. Say they get a level like Speed Highway, how would a classic version of that turn out? I find that prospect really exciting myself, and it's the main reason why I'm happy they're going down this route, at least for the 20th anniversary commemorative release!

Personally I see this as a great plan, and in case it works out, it might even help bring the fanbase together. Like Skyo said, right now it's a mess, with new fans hating old fans and old fans disliking new fans due to terrible, often nonsensical reasons. People who like Mario like most, if not every game of our plumber, so why can't everyone enjoy a good Sonic game? I understand when it's stuff like Black Knight, but people getting all up in arms against stuff like Colours just make me sad.
Old 2011-04-24, 19:06   Link #49
Shadow5YA

There have been complaints that a Sonic fanbase has been divided for quite sometime now.

As for Colors/Unleashed(daytime levels only), they have been well-received, as well as Sonic and the Secret Rings. However, it's not the same level of praise that the two Adventure games received because again, the Sonic fanbase is a bit divided and a lot of people don't trust Sonic Team's ability after Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006.
Old 2011-04-24, 22:13   Link #50
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:

Sonic probably has the most unstable fanbase out of all of gaming, so making a game to please everyone isn't going to be easy, but Generations is looking to be a very good attempt.
FF fan still worser

anyway it's actually common for decade old franchise to be down for last 5 years. mortal kombat is one of them. so no just sonic

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 00:28   Link #51
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Hydrocity does make sense now that I think about it though. Being one of the water stages where you were actually above the water's surface for most of the time. That could work too.~
LOL, that wasn't actually my point. Hydrocity worked as one of the best water levels because of its fast pace and the fun and creative ways it used water. I mean seriously, if you remember to jump at the correct times in Aquatic Ruin in Sonic 2, you could avoid ever being in the water there, the level just punished you for relying solely on speed.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 03:04   Link #52
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Oh, but I don't think that's quite it in this case. Colours was very well received, and I've seen a lot of positive impressions regarding the Unleashed-esque gameplay for modern Sonic in the Generations trailer -- even from those old time fans! I'd say that, aside from pleasing everyone, having both games together is also a good way to get these old time fans to buy this game and actually try the Unleashed versions for themselves. I'm amazed at the amount of terrible criticism I've seen towards the new games, and a lot of them feel like they are coming from people who watched a couple videos and decided they didn't like it because "it wasn't 2D". In a way, this game can help change that, because once you play Unleashed/Colours it's hard to deny that they are both very fun games, and in Colours' case, a quite polished one as well.
Yeah i know about Colours and the Sonic levels in Unleashed being well received, because that was the 3D system i was talking about in my original post.

But yeah, i can see where you're coming from when you say "bringing the fanbase together again". If the game is to have stages from past games, then as long as they do them justice, then you won't see any complaints from me again.
Old 2011-04-25, 23:47   Link #53
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

New video showcasing the ENTIRE LEVEL of Modern Sonic's Green Hill:

Seems a little short at first, but for the (supposed) first level I think it's a reasonable length.
Old 2011-04-26, 02:53   Link #54
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The length of the stage just goes to show that it's going to back to being classic Sonic. No 7+ minutes stages.

Loving the new additions to the stage, plus the combo system from Sonic Rush just looks so cool.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:11   Link #55
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

^^

i dont like how when theres no small random enemies in ur pathway and you can just dash like a racing car game.Maybe its just the 1st stage,i wanna see more ^_^
Old 2011-04-26, 03:30   Link #56
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
The length of the stage just goes to show that it's going to back to being classic Sonic. No 7+ minutes stages.
Lava Reef Act 2 says hi.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 03:45   Link #57
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Lava Reef Act 2 says hi.
I meant for the first stage of the game.

People sure are quick in this thread to do over another person . Should have expected it.
Old 2011-04-26, 04:35   Link #58
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I haven't liked a sonic game as much as sonic adventure 2. It's just been one disappointment after another with this series.

Though this seems like it could be good fun, a return to more classic sonic style.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 13:39   Link #59
The Master
*Author

The first stage looks promising. I like the fact that sonic can just run through the enemies, it really seems to help reinforce the speed with which he goes through each stage. There also seemed to be a lot of retro charm within the levels and nods to other successful features from the rest of the series. I hope the rest of the game is as promising as this.
Old 2011-04-26, 13:42   Link #60
Shadow5YA

I still need to get used to the new voices.

Tags
platformer