Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-22, 19:41   Link #341
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
PETA does certainly give animal-rights people a bad name... But what gets in my craw is that whenever someone says "Hmm maybe we could use cell culture techniques and in silico model testing for corrosivity trials" or "I think fur farming is unethical" theres always a slog of people going "YOU PETA NUTJOB ****ER" and someone invariably links articles like the one posted above.
The discussion is about claims peta itself made, not some random animal rights activist. As such the past actions of the organization are perfectly valid topics of discussion. PETA quite simply is not a reliable source. I never said all animal rights activists are "nutjob ****ers". I merely commented that it's entirely possible peta faked the video. At the very least they're attempting to portray it as widespread when it could be an isolated incident.
Old 2008-04-22, 19:52   Link #342
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
You're probably right, but we can't make generalizations. In my area of New York I've seen people perform drive-by shootings of deer - it's for fun (I'm not the hunter type, don't ask me how it's fun).
You've explained it yourself: It's for fun. They're doing it because they find it pleasurable (I think it's deplorable). But somehow I don't think the people doing the dirty job of the fashion industry can really be doing it because they're having fun. Especially if you're talking about a third world country with a high poverty rate like China.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-04-22, 20:00   Link #343
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
You've explained it yourself: It's for fun. They're doing it because they find it pleasurable (I think it's deplorable). But somehow I don't think the people doing the dirty job of the fashion industry can really be doing it because they're having fun. Especially if you're talking about a third world country with a high poverty rate like China.
Well, that was my point - sadism is, by definition, getting enjoyment out of another's suffering. There are people who are sadistic toward animals. I agree with you that people in the industry are probably not doing it for fun, and that for them it's just a job and they're following procedures.

(Since you didn't specify the scope of the people you were referring to in your original post (although it was implied) I took that as my opportunity to jump in )
Old 2008-04-22, 20:16   Link #344
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Girl Missing in Japan

This is from ANN. Apparently, they think that she may want to commit suicide in Japan. Read about it here and here.

Please move this if it's in the wrong forum.
Old 2008-04-22, 21:15   Link #345
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
This is horrible. I plan on visiting Tokyo next year too. And if you follow the ABC link, theres another story about a girl who was murdered. I can't imagine how the families must be feeling.
Old 2008-04-22, 21:28   Link #346
IHaveCrayons

If you ask me it looks like she everything she did was on purpose.
Old 2008-04-22, 21:39   Link #347
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveCrayons View Post
If you ask me it looks like she everything she did was on purpose.
Most people do the things they do on purpose. I can't imagine accidentally flying to Japan, for one.
Old 2008-04-22, 21:59   Link #348
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think this should be in the General Chat section and not the General anime, as its not about anime really... but yeah... this sucks... hearing about young people getting killed, kidnapped, disappearing always puts a frown on my face
Old 2008-04-22, 22:10   Link #349
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
The problem is somehow the US media will blame anime/manga for this. But yes, I wish she could be found safely.
Old 2008-04-22, 22:23   Link #350
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Imagine what Budnick's family is feeling right now especially if someone in Japan mentioned those cases to them. Those 2 killers were pretty sick.
Old 2008-04-22, 23:05   Link #351
FateAnomaly

But there are sick killers in America too just like in every other countries.
Old 2008-04-22, 23:35   Link #352
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

She was spiraling down the path of Otakuism... The same can be said about any hobby really. Seriously, people try to blame everything on entertainment. First video games, now anime, what next? Cheerios commericals?
Old 2008-04-22, 23:39   Link #353
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

^Don't forget music.

No one has blamed anyone for anything yet though...
Old 2008-04-22, 23:50   Link #354
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
She was spiraling down the path of Otakuism... The same can be said about any hobby really. Seriously, people try to blame everything on entertainment. First video games, now anime, what next? Cheerios commericals?
What's funny is that often the people would have already killed themselves if these hobbies didn't exist in the first place.
Old 2008-04-23, 00:11   Link #355
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
LMAO. Working hard? You mean working to 35 and then retiring set for life and then some? As compared to working till 65?

Working for 10 or working for 40 years? What's harder?
What was this person getting at, does this person think the wealthy deserve to die? or was he/she saying that if your wealthy you deserve what you get... Rich people can be miserable as well. Rich people have midlife chrisis, the only difference is they wipe the butts with green. but you know what, Baseball pitcher richguy has to be the most deserved and earned wealth spot ever, do you know how much skill it takes to be even half the pitcher it requires to be in the majors??? hell 99% of people wouldnt even make it in A leage let along double A, Tripple, then Majors. Each a gateway of Skill+luck of the scouting. """"I dont like rich people who are born into wealth and then take it for granted, AKA RICH SPOILED"""""" ALTHOUGH, I strongly respect people who have made they way over obsticles to obtain what they have, they take life and wealth much less for granted than spoilies. I am not rich, Although I have never been in a position to envy or hold jelousy against them, I think i am pretty damn rich with animeeee. WHO needs money when they have internet! People like the person I just quoted above truly put the capital (I) and the capital (M) in (IGNORANT MASSES)
Old 2008-04-23, 00:25   Link #356
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
She was spiraling down the path of Otakuism...
She was spiraling down the path of depression. The media might spin this off as her being some kind of crazy anime nut, but people who do things like this make a conscious choice about it. She wanted to go to Japan, and took almost nothing with her. Finding an unsent suicide email and reading news about serial killers just makes people jump to conclusions even more than they have.

If she is found, I wonder how she'll handle being the "crazy american anime nut who almost killed herself".
Old 2008-04-25, 04:26   Link #357
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
This is from ANN. Apparently, they think that she may want to commit suicide in Japan. Read about it here and here..
Now with Marilyn Manson get ready to add anime under the scanner .
Old 2008-04-28, 19:53   Link #358
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Oh god this has to be the disturbing an disgusting story I ever heard hear.
Basically it's about this guy whop kept his daughter in his basement for 24years and during those 24years he had 7 children with his daughter and they also stayed there and never saw the daylight for their entire life.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...lar/index.html
Old 2008-04-28, 20:23   Link #359
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Oh god this has to be the disturbing an disgusting story I ever heard hear.
Basically it's about this guy whop kept his daughter in his basement for 24years and during those 24years he had 7 children with his daughter and they also stayed there and never saw the daylight for their entire life.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...lar/index.html
Read about it over the weekend. Only thought is the Death Penalty is design for people like this.
Old 2008-04-28, 20:38   Link #360
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Yeah I read about it earlier today. I almost didn't care because I thought I was reading a joke or prank, but then I realized it's not. I can't believe this actually happened, and I sincerely hope that the guy is insane, because it would be very sad if the guy is sane.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international