Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2011-06-28, 18:37   Link #7941
azul120

Timeslot change, primarily.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:47   Link #7942
Inne

Now I know that I am going to sound like a noob but please forgive my ignorance for just one more question, and that is: How exactly does the timeslot change, change the entire season of a show if you don't mind me asking?
Inne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 22:01   Link #7943
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inne View Post
Now I know that I am going to sound like a noob but please forgive my ignorance for just one more question, and that is: How exactly does the timeslot change, change the entire season of a show if you don't mind me asking?
I've never understood it either.

"Holy shit people! Our timeslot's been shifted from 10:00 to 7:00?! Everyone, burn the old scripts, we have to start over from scratch and drastically change everything!

Obviously the timeslot change means we're going to lose half our viewers who will then be replaced by a bunch of new viewers who will want to watch the show even though it's obviously the continuation of a series that they have no knowledge of! So now we have to spend the first 5 episodes reintroducing all the characters, basically with a rehash of the first few episodes of the first season, so that all these new viewers knows what's going on!"
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 00:40   Link #7944
Xander

To make a long story short, you could even say the real problem wasn't the time slot change itself. That was only the catalyst.

There wasn't enough planning beforehand nor enough time to properly use the new story ideas they decided to include in R2 instead of directly carrying out their original intentions. In essence, I almost believe that we could have avoided this entire problem if the broadcast date had been delayed for another three to six months or so...or if Okouchi and Taniguchi had ever come up with a detailed master plan instead of just sharing general concepts and ideas concerning how the show would have to end. It's silly to imagine they had ever developed a complete alternative storyline.

Okouchi hadn't written down more than a couple of episode scripts before the time slot change and, even after that point, he didn't finish the "final" script for Code Geass R2 until May 2008. Despite all the changes and compromises to please sponsors and attract a larger audience, I think they could have still pulled it off just fine with better planning and more time, no matter what slot happened to be involved. Too bad that wasn't the case.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 01:55   Link #7945
Nobodyman9
Banned

Well, at any rate, considering that the original script supposedly had Lelouch breaking out of prison every night to run against Schneizel for president, it's probably a good thing they had to revise the script (not that what we got was much better).
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 15:12   Link #7946
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well, at any rate, considering that the original script supposedly had Lelouch breaking out of prison every night to run against Schneizel for president, it's probably a good thing they had to revise the script (not that what we got was much better).
That might have been an early rough draft that was not completed. If the original plans for Code Geass R2 was completed in advance of 6 months to a year, we might have seen a very different storyline than the early version of what was mentioned about the scrapped plans. They could still remake Code Geass to what was intended (aside from the Zero Requiem) since the option to produce it is still on the table.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 17:39   Link #7947
azul120

To reply what you mentioned over on the Shirley thread:

Here's the thing: in many ways, he didn't even NEED to, as I'm sure blade will only be too happy to point out. And the steps made to get there made it a case of both Shooting the Shaggy Dog, and ZR itself being a product of Lelouch's death wish. Lelouch took the coward's way out and made up an over the top Genghis ploy in order to have an excuse to die, because he had given up after the apparent demise of Nunnally, and the betrayal of the Black Knights, which along with everything else that had happened to him prior, made him feel like he had nothing more to live for. The problem, beyond the fact that Nunnally was really alive and concealed by Schneizel, and of course that chasing death was a cowardly and selfish thing to do, was that he caused more mayhem than he had during his campaign as Zero when he could have just as easily chosen to be a good, helpful and constructive leader, and help more people in the long run. I'm not completely putting him at fault for his failure of heroic willpower, but rather on the hands of the writers for painting it as him doing it as atonement and informing that it was the right thing to do. Especially with several other issues I've brought up on various other occasions. The only really good thing that could come out of this would be all of this being one big Sequel Hook, where among other things, Lelouch is resurrected (in a believable manner), and he and everyone else reflect on their past issues as part of their development.
Old 2011-06-30, 17:18   Link #7948
wredsa

have any of you noticed that the main catalyst for Zero Requiem is none other than Suzaku. Lelouch was more than happy to pass out time in the World of C. Suzaku wanted Euphemia's hand cleared so that his girlfriend's name would be forgotten as mass murderer.

Last edited by wredsa; 2011-06-30 at 17:37.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 00:17   Link #7949
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

That's... not really accurate. There's no indication that Suzaku forced Lelouch to leave the World of C, nor any hint that Lelouch just intended to stay. He led him to that point through repeated acts of sabotage and general stubborn dickishness, yes, but that specific reason isn't valid.
Old 2011-07-01, 23:24   Link #7950
Inne

Thanks for the replies guys it was nice to know what really went down with the original R2. My only hope now is that this new Code Geass Gaiden or whatever does so well that it convinces Sunrise and Taniguchi to do a remake of R2 based on whatever scripts they had written so far so as to try and bring back if not maybe please some fans who were a little dissatisfied with the original R2. I for one still believe that R2 was never able to live up to the greatness that was the first season of Code Geass.
Inne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 05:08   Link #7951
rinichan

I think when Suzaku get old he probably will die....
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 23:11   Link #7952
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

Guys, almost every single work of fiction ever goes through drastic rewrites before it is released. Why do people make such a big deal over the Code Geass one? It happens and what we got is what we got. If people complained and wanted "a new version with the original plans" for everything that got rewritten, in order for their wishes to be granted we'd have like 10 versions of every movie, video game, anime, novel, and so on... ever.

And I, for one, liked R2. It got really silly and over-the-top at times and I think it could have been a better show if they opted for an "all out rebellion" tone rather than try and recapture the "high school student by day and rebel leader by night" aspect of the first season. All the same, it was still a good second half to an overall great anime. The last 5-6 episodes were especially great.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 03:57   Link #7953
azul120

The last several episodes were the worst of it, really.
Old 2011-07-04, 20:54   Link #7954
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
The last several episodes were the worst of it, really.
Agreed! After turn 18, everything went "pear shaped".
Main Character: You asked why we're are so worked up over this? We the way I see it, if you really love something this much, and the writers, producers, and directors give you something that's last minute, then we the fans have a right to question what if, and why!
Code Geass had great possibilities, and still does! It's just when the "bean counters" get involved and want ratings and saleable marketing ideas, that everything goes to pot!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 09:00   Link #7955
rinichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Main Character: You asked why we're are so worked up over this? We the way I see it, if you really love something this much, and the writers, producers, and directors give you something that's last minute, then we the fans have a right to question what if, and why!
Code Geass had great possibilities, and still does! It's just when the "bean counters" get involved and want ratings and saleable marketing ideas, that everything goes to pot!
that time I think Sunrise is dumping Code Geass R2 just becoz their other anime projects are not doing well....
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 10:00   Link #7956
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
That's what-so-called how capitalism do their works
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 15:44   Link #7957
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
That's what-so-called how capitalism do their works
Capitalism can be manipulated as they always are to one's personal interest. As long as the person knows what they are doing, they can get a lot of things done. As to whether the consumer will fall for it is another matter in itself.
Old 2011-08-04, 00:36   Link #7958
azul120

Quote:
A little late on this, but I gotta ask, what do you mean by pear shaped?
Old 2011-08-04, 02:55   Link #7959
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
A little late on this, but I gotta ask, what do you mean by pear shaped?
It means "went wrong." It's a British idiom.
Old 2011-08-04, 10:14   Link #7960
darthfury78

Quote:
Hi Lost Cause,
Here is a link that you might find interesting:

http://www.anime-evo.net/2010/06/19/...eass-season-3/