Oman plane in Iran, awaiting U.S. citizens' release
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78F3VE20110916
Old 2011-09-16, 11:18   Link #16562
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Screw the street performances. Use the time to grow potatoes in our backyard - at least there is a chance to have something to eat.
Potato cultist!!!!
Old 2011-09-16, 11:24   Link #16563
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Sauce please.
You asking for sauce? I have given plenty of it in other threads where, I may add, you actively participated, but you dismissed it all. In any case, who am I deny a man his fair share of sauce

FAQ

There is plenty of sauce to go around as you can see.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:36   Link #16564
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

Screw the street performances. Use the time to grow potatoes in our backyard - at least there is a chance to have something to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Potato cultist!!!!
my plan to convert the world to the potato standard is working
Old 2011-09-16, 11:50   Link #16565
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
my plan to convert the world to the potato standard is working
Didn't work out so well for the Irish, though...
Old 2011-09-16, 11:57   Link #16566
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Peter Joseph's biggest problem is that he's not good at layman explanations. He uses terms and phrases that confuse people and he spends more time than he should explaining what he means....which hurts his message. I get that he finds himself into the position of explaining what is a large scoped and multifaceted concept, but that should be all the more incentive to do a sort of "FAQ" and create bullet point sound bites he can repeat that anyone can understand.
Well, if I learned anything from software development in that regard, than that your original designs and plans most of the time do not work out like it was planned (even for less complex matters than global economics/social systems).
This bullet list could at best be a first draft, which needs a lot of refinment (and if I am only half way right with my theories... then Peter Joseph needs to redesign a lot - okay I admit that was very hypothetical because he will never have the chance to turn into reality even one point of his assumed bullet list ).
Old 2011-09-16, 12:02   Link #16567
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Ireland at the time did produce enough food to feed its people but most went to the English.
Old 2011-09-16, 12:29   Link #16568
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Ireland at the time did produce enough food to feed its people but most went to the English.
Aye, the famine was created by a combination of potato blight, and a rigid adherence to free market economics by britain. Britain's attitude was that the market would take care of the problem, and that the Irish had brought it on themselves due to their own laziness, in fact the administrator of relief, Trevalyan, said: "the judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson". The UK could have banned all food exports to bring down the high price of food (and they had done so in a previous famine in the 1700s), but the landlords lobbied against it, and they got their way. They continued to export with high profits, while a million Irishmen died...

Ireland still doesn't have as high a population as in 1845. If Ireland's population had increased at the same rate as England, we'd now have a population of about 27 million, instead of 6 million. That's some food for thought.

Read more about it on Wikipedia.
Old 2011-09-16, 12:41   Link #16569
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Aye, the famine was created by a combination of potato blight, and a rigid adherence to free market economics by britain. Britain's attitude was that the market would take care of the problem, and that the Irish had brought it on themselves due to their own laziness, in fact the administrator of relief, Trevalyan, said: "the judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson". The UK could have banned all food exports to bring down the high price of food (and they had done so in a previous famine in the 1700s), but the landlords lobbied against it, and they got their way. They continued to export with high profits, while a million Irishmen died...

Ireland still doesn't have as high a population as in 1845. If Ireland's population had increased at the same rate as England, we'd now have a population of about 27 million, instead of 6 million. That's some food for thought.

Read more about it on Wikipedia.
The English handling of the Irish Potato Famine is either deliberate Genocide or Murder by Neglect.
Old 2011-09-16, 13:38   Link #16570
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Aye, the famine was created by a combination of potato blight, and a rigid adherence to free market economics by britain. Britain's attitude was that the market would take care of the problem, and that the Irish had brought it on themselves due to their own laziness, in fact the administrator of relief, Trevalyan, said: "the judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson".
Opinions haven't changed much since then, at least on the right here in the US. Trevelyan's remark in particular reminds me of this recent comment from Republican presidential candidate Michelle Bachmann:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachmann
"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."
It takes a special view about the nature of God to think he/she/it/whatever is concerned about the US budget deficit. What do you suppose that God might think about the Republican debate attendees who agreed we should let uninsured patients die rather than provide decent health care for all?
Old 2011-09-16, 17:51   Link #16571
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Too bad for the Irish and their coffee! Potatoes rule!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-16, 18:43   Link #16572
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Opinions haven't changed much since then, at least on the right here in the US. Trevelyan's remark in particular reminds me of this recent comment from Republican presidential candidate Michelle Bachmann:

It takes a special view about the nature of God to think he/she/it/whatever is concerned about the US budget deficit. What do you suppose that God might think about the Republican debate attendees who agreed we should let uninsured patients die rather than provide decent health care for all?
The comparison certainly occured to me while I was writing my post.

It seems that some things don't really change I guess...
Old 2011-09-16, 18:59   Link #16573
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I figure the worst drought in recorded history coupled with tornadoes and whatnot, well, God is telling the Bible Swath of the US that elected idiots like Perry and Bachmann that he's going to send them to hell early. Odd that none of the people who thump their unread Bibles never consider that...

newsflash: I got treated to a 15 minute diatribe from one of my relatives about how "godless environmentalists" were to blame for all our economic woes..... o.O at some point, putting something that mentally defective out to pasture doesn't seem so horrible (waves for Dokuro-chan).
Old 2011-09-16, 19:46   Link #16574
killer3000ad

Plane crash at Reno Air Races
Old 2011-09-16, 22:21   Link #16575
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
newsflash: I got treated to a 15 minute diatribe from one of my relatives about how "godless environmentalists" were to blame for all our economic woes..... o.O at some point, putting something that mentally defective out to pasture doesn't seem so horrible (waves for Dokuro-chan).
Good thing than nobody really tried that kind of speach to me; I never know if I should laugh at them or hardly prove them wrong.
Old 2011-09-17, 00:10   Link #16576
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
I love how the new media has neglected reporting on anything else but only on this event for the rest of the day. Perhaps they think that because it was caught on video and many people were killed in an "spectacular" crash they would pick up more viewers that way.
Old 2011-09-17, 02:02   Link #16577
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I love how the new media has neglected reporting on anything else but only on this event for the rest of the day. Perhaps they think that because it was caught on video and many people were killed in an "spectacular" crash they would pick up more viewers that way.
Every freaking local news station across the country is covering this... its not local - its cheap for all the stations across the country (who live under 2 or 3 corporations) to run the *same* story.
Old 2011-09-17, 04:21   Link #16578
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Every freaking local news station across the country is covering this... its not local - its cheap for all the stations across the country (who live under 2 or 3 corporations) to run the *same* story.
And its not restricted to the USA. This "piece of important information" while not the number one headline is still featured on all major german online news sites that I checked today.
Its for all the rubbernecks in the world... oh how I hate these people on the autobahn/highway, most of the time they make accident born traffic jams worse because they are passing the area of the accident extra careful/slow to satisfy their morbid curiosity.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:23   Link #16579
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Cat's Colorado-to-New York saga piques interest in microchip
Quote:
New York (Sept 16, Fri): The story of a Colorado cat that was missing for five years before being found in New York City has raised interest in the tiny embedded microchip that made a reunion with its owners possible.

The owners of Willow the calico had arranged to have the chip — about the size of a grain of rice — implanted in her when she was a kitten in Broomfield, Colorado, years ago. When Willow was taken to a Manhattan animal shelter on Wednesday, a routine scan found the chip. The chip led to a registry, which led to the Squires family, now of Boulder.

Ms Julie Bank, executive director of New York's Animal Care and Control, which found Willow's chip, said having the chip was crucial. "Without having that microchip and the microchip record being current, Willow would not be reuniting with that Colorado family because we wouldn't know about the Colorado family," she said.

Vets have been recommending the chips for years as an aid in finding lost pets. Some said that interest has been sparked recently by Willow's story and by natural disasters such as Hurricane Irene, which forced the separations of many pets and their owners.

AP
Old 2011-09-17, 08:49   Link #16580
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well...this is kinda awkward...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14952001
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international