AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 03
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 49 22.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 39 17.65%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 52 23.53%
7 out of 10: Good... 46 20.81%
6 out of 10: Average... 18 8.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 6 2.71%
4 out of 10: Poor... 6 2.71%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-25, 16:46   Link #341
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think he knew about that trap. When they ran into it, he acted surprised, like "there's a hidden door here?" But he had probably run into similar traps and guessed at what could result
Or he played Tomb of Horrors like these guys:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 17:42   Link #342
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

for me, kirito is the kind of person that lacks confidence and has no desire to act as a leader, probably to avoid responsability, wich is why he kept his level hidden, but this showed him that if he had took the reins,even for the moment they discovered the room, he could had avoided the tragedy, making an impact in his mindset.
Old 2012-07-25, 23:12   Link #343
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
You know after reading this post I think I'm going to take a break and stop coming to these SAO Episode Discussion Threads for a while. Every post I read seems to be coming off as nothing but rage with very little positive input and it's really hampering my personal enjoyment so I guess I'll peek in once and awhile but I won't be posting for a minute.
This. I came here to talk about the episode, but I've seen so much negativity that I don't feel welcome, really. I enjoyed this episode, didn't feel it was rushed at all, and actually teared up when the girl died, even though I KNEW what was going to happen from top to bottom. Stretching it out over two episodes wouldn't have made things any different.

I love this anime so far and it's my favorite this season besides Dog Days' and Lagrange.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 01:10   Link #344
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Shinigami View Post
This. I came here to talk about the episode, but I've seen so much negativity that I don't feel welcome, really.
I think it was already said, but please consider where it comes from:

a) novel readers who wish the anime did things in a different way (and they're not really negative about the story, just disappointed that the anime is not as good as they imagined it could be, which is always subjective)

b) people who watch the show because it's popular and want to see what the fuss is about, and end up disappointed and feel the need to let us know in no uncertain terms. (And their closely-related comrades: trolls.)

Of course, all reasonable criticism is welcome in this thread, but please don't be too overwhelmed by people who are being overly-dramatic about everything. It should balance itself out over the next little while (at least to some degree). Everyone is welcome!
Old 2012-07-26, 02:38   Link #345
redflame

^Surprisingly, I'm kinda the opposite. I watched the trailers after finding out about it through Accel World. The trailer didn't really appeal to me, so I didn't give any interest. However, I did try to give it a chance cause you know, why would there be an anime for it? So I first watched the OP and THAT caught my attention. And that's when I started watching it!

But I'm surprised that there's been negative comments about it. O.O Oh well.

Anyway, on to the review of this episode.

Kirito.. is kinda cool to me actually . Unlike others who panicked when they learned about the danger of this game, Kirito was someone who got over it quickly and accepted it with his determination to survive.

This episode had me gaping at the screen like a lunatic. It kept me engaged especially till the end of the episode. Kirito had the desire to protect everyone in the guild which I think is amiable. I think Kirito needs to learn how to become stronger, not just in levels and strength but as a person, which I can see that he'll develop throughout the series. Find out what he really wants to fight for.

I'm looking forward to Kirito developing as a character, Asuna somehow popping up somewhere to see him again and other new characters as well. Lots of fights, action and romance as you can obviously tell. Loving the episodes so far. ^^
Old 2012-07-26, 03:51   Link #346
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

While I'd say the Light Novel was definitely a lot better,

the anime was rather okay...

I liked the music, though [i'm nt sure if it has been mentioned] but it reminded me a lot of Fate/Zero's OSTs.

I wonder why they skipped the fights though ;3 I was looking forward to see Kirito VS Nicholas... and they made it appear as if Klein & Gang defeated the Dragon Alliance. Lol.

But all in all it had some good parts and some not-so-good parts but still a enjoyable episode. Especially the emotions captured in it.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:26   Link #347
Irisu
フフリ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeir View Post
I liked the music, though [i'm nt sure if it has been mentioned] but it reminded me a lot of Fate/Zero's OSTs. .
Hint: Kajiura Yuki.
Irisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 06:34   Link #348
novalysis

No mentions about the similarities to Madoka Magica OSTs too?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 07:27   Link #349
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

This episode started out great and ended on a depressing note.

8/10

My only problem about the series so far is that it is only 3 episodes in and the main character is already halfway through the game on room 47 or near there. Really hope it slows down a bit and focuses more on character development.

Kirito is so cute. <3

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 08:32   Link #350
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeirin View Post
Hint: Kajiura Yuki.
Of course it has to be her
Old 2012-07-26, 12:06   Link #351
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Or he played Tomb of Horrors like these guys:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tomb of Horrors ftw!

Man - now THERE was a deathtrap dungeon if ever there was one.

Anyhoo ... back on topic. Finally caught up with ep 3 and quite honestly found myself very moved by it. I guess it just hit a sensitive spot for me, like the last Hyouka ep in the "Why didn't she ask EBA?" mini-arc did. And that for me usually means (not always) that I am really going to enjoy the series as a whole.
Old 2012-07-26, 15:14   Link #352
lightsenshi
Author

I was stumped for a bit but Sachi reminds me strongly of Hinata (from Naruto).
Old 2012-07-27, 00:53   Link #353
Liquidzero

Quote:
While I'd say the Light Novel was definitely a lot better,

I wonder why they skipped the fights though ;3 I was looking forward to see Kirito VS Nicholas... and they made it appear as if Klein & Gang defeated the Dragon Alliance. Lol.
the Nicholas fight wasn't described in the novel, nor was the fight with the dragon alliance.

though i'm not sure if you're implying that you would have liked to see them animated, i don't see how the LN could be "definitely a lot better" when it was pretty similar to how it was animated.
Liquidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 02:03   Link #354
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Also, someone needs to stand in front. Even if the boss dies in two seconds, a zerging strategy like that would lead to everyone being greatly underleveled. What if he has an AOE attack that wipes out the front lines? Who's going to volunteer for that? What if the boss has an invincible phase that they have to survive before they can hurt him? What if he has a damage aura that kills everyone at once because they don't have enough HP?

You haven't thought this plan through at all. From an MMO perspective, it makes no sense.

Edit: Oh yeah, they already told us that there's a maximum size for a raid group (8 parties of 6). So no more than 48. And those 48 are making steady progress by being a well-oiled machine, as you can see by the way the Black Cats idolize them. Everyone else in the world is just killing time until the clearers win the game. No one ever said it was impossible, or even particularly hard (hard in video game terms: clearing 100 bosses without losing everyone to attrition and wipes would be impossible in most MMOs) . It just takes time and people willing to risk their lives.
just lvling till their level is high enough to survive. Grinding with zerg is sure slow but it is like 99% you wont die. Then just camp boss which drop rare items, zerg it, give it to anyone who doesnt have gold/epic gears, rinse and repeat.
If they have no bow to attack how about throwing axe/javelin since there are mace and shield, spear...?

And if the 48 people rule is true then meh.... what kind of VR game that doesnt have epic boss raid???. L2 which was made 5-8 years ago had 200-300 people castle seige, boss raid.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 02:03   Link #355
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidzero View Post
the Nicholas fight wasn't described in the novel, nor was the fight with the dragon alliance.

though i'm not sure if you're implying that you would have liked to see them animated, i don't see how the LN could be "definitely a lot better" when it was pretty similar to how it was animated.

There wasn't a fight between Klein's Guild & the Dragon Alliance.

Spoiler for from Light Novel info:

As for the Kirito part, i guessed i phrased it wrongly. I did looked forward/hoped that they'd show some self-churned up fight scenes, but i also wanted the after-battle scene where he wallowed in self pity upon looting the goods. I guess i'm quite a.. sadist..?

If to be critical, i'd say the episode was too rushed. They could have just split it over into 2 episodes for this super-mini-arc and gave more focus and build up on the details.
Old 2012-07-27, 02:22   Link #356
Liquidzero

Quote:
There wasn't a fight between Klein's Guild & the Dragon Alliance.
ahh i see what you mean, looks like i did some reading comprehension fail.

i guess they had to make it seem that way though. kirito's figuring out of the situation was internal dialog so it seems it'd be easier make it look that way then have people go wtfahobagads why does that scene look that way.
Liquidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 02:43   Link #357
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
just lvling till their level is high enough to survive. Grinding with zerg is sure slow but it is like 99% you wont die. Then just camp boss which drop rare items, zerg it, give it to anyone who doesnt have gold/epic gears, rinse and repeat.
If they have no bow to attack how about throwing axe/javelin since there are mace and shield, spear...?

And if the 48 people rule is true then meh.... what kind of VR game that doesnt have epic boss raid???. L2 which was made 5-8 years ago had 200-300 people castle seige, boss raid.
They do want to get out of the game and back to their real lives you know. If the "slow but safe" way takes 30 years then they've already lost their lives before they started.

And modern MMOs tend to cut down on the size of parties in order to focus more attention on the boss mechanics. SAO in particular is about "swordfighting". They don't have ranged weapons for a reason, and the reason is that they want to emphasize the feeling of moving your body around in VR (since that's obviously the selling point compared to other games). Gameplay is mostly dodging and parrying and looking for a good moment to counter. Zerging doesn't work too well because in the worst case you might even accidentally hit your allies.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 07:43   Link #358
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:

It might slow down the server if 200+ people are in the boss room, activating sword skills and items, not to mention how big the boss would have to be if 200+ people can fight against him at the same time
Old 2012-07-27, 08:17   Link #359
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Floor boss that drops unique gears in SAO do not respawn.

There are throwing skills yes, but ammunition becomes a huge problem in extended fights, so most people don't really bother with them.

Quote:
Meh, not every MMO has those "epic" boss raid, nor should they. SAO's combat system is meant to be up-close-and-personal, not a messy affair with 2384792374 character models piled around, on top, and inside each other spamming attacks.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 11:11   Link #360
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, having just watched RNR last night.. I'm a bit behind on the discussions..

But, man, having read the novels I knew this was going to be a tear jerker but man.. Sachi.. I think the episode was a bit rushed considering how important an event this is in Kirito's character development, but it was emotional as I expected and you could almost feel the "Kira Yamato" style anguish in Kirito's voice near the end..

8.5/10!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote