AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-04, 03:17   Link #281
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jon Falstaff View Post
now Nae Hae-Young looks even more like Bridgette L. Satellizer from Freezing
complete with matching glasses. Well hopefully they restart the project again and possibly finish what the author started, translators/scanlators included.
Considering that Freezing and UxU have the same author, I'm not surprised that there are similarities between their main female characters. It may just be a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if the author asked for something specific from the artists in terms of character design.
Old 2009-09-04, 07:15   Link #282
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Considering that Freezing and UxU have the same author, I'm not surprised that there are similarities between their main female characters. It may just be a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if the author asked for something specific from the artists in terms of character design.
Sometimes i even have problems distinguishing the different female characters within a single series by this author
Old 2009-10-11, 21:28   Link #283
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Someone at crazy's says UxU is supposed to start up again once vol 9 has been released in Japan, so sometime next year!!!! WOO HOO!
Old 2009-11-12, 03:41   Link #284
gundamcat

I read all the volumes up to date today. It is really amazing manhwa. Though having to wait till may really is annoying.
Old 2009-12-02, 10:53   Link #285
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
UxU and Freezing have same author (Im Dall Young) but different artist, artist of UxU is Lee Soo Hyun is also of Onihime VS, and artist of Freezing is Kim Kwang Hyun is also of Aflame Inferno. Lee Soo Hyun is female artist, Kim Kwang Hyun is male artist, but their art type is very similiar with each other, if you don't see their name, I sure you will think these manhwas have same artist . Other Young's manhwas are draw by Park Sung Woo (Kuro kami, Zero, Zero Circle of Flow) and Jeong Soo Cheol (The legend of Maia), you can see the difference easily.
Old 2009-12-02, 11:12   Link #286
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
UxU and Freezing have same author (Im Dall Young) but different artist, artist of UxU is Lee Soo Hyun is also of Onihime VS, and artist of Freezing is Kim Kwang Hyun is also of Aflame Inferno. Lee Soo Hyun is female artist, Kim Kwang Hyun is male artist, but their art type is very similiar with each other, if you don't see their name, I sure you will think these manhwas have same artist . Other Young's manhwas are draw by Park Sung Woo (Kuro kami, Zero, Zero Circle of Flow) and Jeong Soo Cheol (The legend of Maia), you can see the difference easily.
Then a better question might be, why is this bad author getting so many good artists to work with. Honestly the only the good thing of the series you mentioned is the artwork. xD
Old 2009-12-02, 11:20   Link #287
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
Someone at crazy's says UxU is supposed to start up again once vol 9 has been released in Japan, so sometime next year!!!! WOO HOO!
Its been confirmed on the author's blog that when the manga in Japan catches up, a continuation will be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Then a better question might be, why is this bad author getting so many good artists to work with. Honestly the only the good thing of the series you mentioned is the artwork. xD
Whoa...whoa...whoa...care to back that up a little?
Old 2009-12-02, 11:58   Link #288
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Whoa...whoa...whoa...care to back that up a little?
And here I was thinking I was stating the obvious.

What's there to back up? Most people who have read the work of IM Dal Young, knows his story writing is average. I'm sure you have at least read bleach, naruto and one piece. 3 simple main stream titles where the story telling isn't considered good, but still something that's way better then IM Dal Young ever created. o___O
Old 2009-12-02, 12:08   Link #289
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:

What's there to back up? Most people who have read the work of IM Dal Young, knows his story writing is average. I'm sure you have at least read bleach, naruto and one piece. 3 simple main stream titles where the story telling isn't considered good, but still something that's way better then IM Dal Young ever created. o___O
That's not backing up anything. Do you mind elaborating?
Old 2009-12-02, 12:18   Link #290
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:

My opinion, OP is as same as, but Bleach and Naruto is insipided as water, I drop 2 of them a long ago .
PS, I pick Bleach again because NO.3 Espada, after she dead, I drop it again.
Old 2009-12-02, 12:28   Link #291
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
That's not backing up anything. Do you mind elaborating?
Well it's been a while back since I read Freezing, Aflame Inferno, UxU, Onihime VS(I dropped all of them mind you). So can't really mention anything specific. All the drama that happens are all based on arbitrary bullshit reasons. Events that just make you go wtf(teacher making her student drunk)? Common sense does not exist. The huge overload of selfish black mailing pricks(Is it that hard to make up new plot devices?). That ofcourse relates with that no1 has any morals(even the main character does questionable things which he justifies with flawed reasoning).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
My opinion, OP is as same as, but Bleach and Naruto is insipided as water, I drop 2 of them a long ago .
PS, I pick Bleach again because NO.3 Espada, after she dead, I drop it again.
Well let's take Bleach even after the SS arc, is on par with Freezing. In Freezing, it seems they just get attacked by random people.
Naruto at least has buildup motivation, sometimes it's questionable, but still better then the random things you get from IM Dal Young's work.

My point is IM Dal Young is an author that's just average and if I'm being nice good. How does he get artist that good to draw for him. His work reminds me of Oh! Great, but he does his own artwork. >_>
Old 2009-12-02, 19:32   Link #292
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Sorry man, it's depend on reader's taste, as person A like lolicon but person B like tsudere, while person C only like school-life A-M but person D only like military/mech A-M blah blah blah . With you, Young's is worst than scrappy Bleach, Naruto but with me, Bleach and Naruto are worst than Young's, no more no less.

Last edited by Panzerklein; 2009-12-03 at 01:53.
Old 2009-12-03, 01:21   Link #293
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, remember two thigns about ALL stories like this:

One: it's hard to come up with original stories anymore, because most storylines have already been done, and that's when the comparisons start when two have similar stories, and people are going to say "Oh A is better than B"... keep in mind that this guy is also working no close to eight stories, so it's a little tough to come up with sometyhing good if you don't have the time to think things through

Two: You write whats sells and what the populace likes in order to get money. In this case, it's the Onee-sama characters and the younger guys that drive the fans to like the series, and of course in manga/manwha those characters come through in the artwork... it's become a case of "the story might not be great, but the artwork is", and since the artwork is what the selling point of this series is by this point... well, do the math

[/end rant]

I for one like all his works (except Zero, but that's because of the rather tragic element to Zero)... and yes, I really don't care a lot about the story, but I love the Onee-samas!

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2009-12-03, 01:32   Link #294
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Well, remember two thigns about ALL stories like this:

One: it's hard to come up with original stories anymore, because most storylines have already been done, and that's when the comparisons start when two have similar stories, and people are going to say "Oh A is better than B"... keep in mind that this guy is also working no close to eight stories, so it's a little tough to come up with sometyhing good if you don't have the time to think things through

Two: You write whats sells and what the populace likes in order to get money. In this case, it's the Onee-sama characters and the younger guys that drive the fans to like the series, and of course in manga/manwha those characters come through in the artwork... it's become a case of "the story might not be great, but the artwork is", and since the artwork is what the selling point of this series is by this point... well, do the math

[/end rant]

I for one like all his works (except Zero, but that's because of the rather tragic element to Zero)... and yes, I really don't care a lot about the story, but I love the Onee-samas!
well thats the thing I have more of a need for a good story in manga but not so much in anime but in this case I generally stick with these series for the eye candy, altho I only check em out like every few months even then if I can be bothered.
and like 2H-Dragon says Dal Young doesn't really do good story, some good ideas and concepts but no good flow to the stories. Not enough for any of the series to really stand out.
Old 2009-12-03, 08:18   Link #295
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I guess I'm in the minority here. I thought UxU had a great story, and a great flow. I would have thought the fact that the protagonist isn't a wuss would stand out more.

But the author really does spread himself way too thin.
Old 2009-12-03, 08:32   Link #296
Mentar
Banned

Let me join the minority then. I'd say it's got an _excellent_ flow. In fact, for a while, UxU was my most-sought-after manga for which I feverishly awaited raws.
Old 2009-12-03, 09:10   Link #297
Arturro

IMHO Unbalance is the best romance manga I've ever read, mostly thanks to realistical characters. But I could understand why some people dislike it - it's not a standard romance manga, plot and characters are quite different from typical shonen/shojo manga. Mostly because it's target readers are much older than average romance manga readers. I also like Aflame Inferno, it's not a great manga, but fun to read. I agree Freezing or Legend of Maian are, so far, plot deprived.

Old 2009-12-03, 09:22   Link #298
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

The only fault I find in IM Dal Young is his tendency to always go on hiatus when the manga reaches a certain climax and always leaves us hanging. Yet again, he recently started a new manga called Re:Birth - The Lunatic Taker while his other works are still left untouched.

Other than that, I love his works, his storytelling, originality and he definitely has one of the best artists I've seen. I'm always looking forward to read his new works and I don't mind re-reading his older works a couple of times.
Old 2009-12-03, 10:17   Link #299
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority here. I thought UxU had a great story, and a great flow. I would have thought the fact that the protagonist isn't a wuss would stand out more.

But the author really does spread himself way too thin.
i rather think the critics here have chosen the wrong series (thread) to go against Young's plot qualities. When it comes to Freezing for example i kinda agree, there i mostly leave the boring cliched plot and horrible female characters (with a thousand psychoses that only beat each other to a pulp as if on gallons of testosterone) alone and only enjoy the artwork. UxU on the other hand has great plot that managed to suprise me more than once and has 2 great main leads and side characters that shine with credibility.
Old 2009-12-03, 10:39   Link #300
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
The only fault I find in IM Dal Young is his tendency to always go on hiatus when the manga reaches a certain climax and always leaves us hanging. Yet again, he recently started a new manga called Re:Birth - The Lunatic Taker while his other works are still left untouched.

Other than that, I love his works, his storytelling, originality and he definitely has one of the best artists I've seen. I'm always looking forward to read his new works and I don't mind re-reading his older works a couple of times.
Because he have trouble with Korean publishers and cultural department is so difficult to check manhwas before they are pulished. That why some Young's series are released in Japan . Thus his series is released slowly and he gain few money, so he need to work for many series as same time and continue series which is allowed to publish and abadon in a time series which is not allowed to publish until it is allowed again.

If that is not primary reason, Young is sure a mad man .

Tags
manhwa, romance