AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 41 39.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 18.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.96%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-07, 22:18   Link #161
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
They already did during the festival. Kagami's "getto daze".
*facepalm*

Yes...they did.

Someday, we'll start a list of all the shows this series has mentioned. It should be pretty long.
Old 2007-07-07, 22:19   Link #162
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Rissa-chan... it's probably its because you're more Asian than American. I may exaggerate at jailbait part, but none of your average her age gaijin-sans will even think about dating her. Okay maybe a 6 grader. I mean, she looked tiny and young by Japanese standard. Her body hasn't changed since she was 11 or 12. The thing is girls like that are usually, eh, Chiyo-like and cute as a button. Guys here date more for hotness than cuteness in the first place, and Kona-chan is not at all cute. She's a karate-black belt (maybe) who enjoy eroge and cosplay-rape doujin. I'm pretty sure you're nothing like that.
hmmm, I think you're engaging in some overly sweeping generalizations there.

"none of your average" .... "guys here date more for hotness" .... yeah, there's a segment of the population that thinks like that... but plenty of people here don't care for those guys either :P There are plenty of other population segments that behave in other ways.

You're also talking to someone who *lives* in America so that's kind of odd telling her what it is like where she lives America is a bit too diverse and prone to toss tradition to assume very much about attitudes and behaviors (not that it doesn't stop people from believing stereotypes).

A number of people may also dispute the assessment of Kona not being "cute" for those reasons. "cute" allows for a lot of latitude
Old 2007-07-07, 22:27   Link #163
Dark Wing

Typing while I watch this episode.

Kona-chan poking fun at Kagami's obsession with her weight is always good for a laugh. lol

Okay the Yu-gi-oh! reference kind of caught me off guard. Totally didn't see that coming...Hmmm...I wonder what Kona-chan's deck would be like?

I can't help but to laugh at Miyuki being more Japanese then shrine maiden.

Once again I can't even begin to imagine how Yui became a cop....-_-;

lol the whole Valentines Day sequence was gold. Kona-chan talking about giving chocolate to her "bride" in an online game which turns out to be a guy playing with a female character. Is it me or did it seem like Kagami was starting to freak out at the idea of Kona-chan giving chocolate to someone.

Kona-chan telling Tsukasa not to give boys friendship chocolate because they'd get the wrong idea was good. Also notice that later on when Tsukasa said she gave chocolates to everyone she cared for two guys were blushing in the background and he says that was my first time...

Oh so Kagami gave her chocolate to Kona-chan. the Yuri-ism is strong in this episode. I mean the look on Konata's face was priceless and loved her line after that.

"Kagami looking like she's good at everything when she actually sucks so she secretly works hard turns me on."

I know it doesn't sound very romantic but love is there...I guess.

rofl the scene where Kona wants to go over seas because it means she'd chocolate from people both genders was great and what was she about to say about cut little girls in foreign countries before Kagami stoped her? I mean I half a pretty good idea but just want to know if anyone else got it.

the conversation at the restaurant about Kona's cousin I can't help but have a feel of dread that Akira-sama will be showing up soon.

Kagami trying to picture what kind of career Kona would be good at notice all of them are her sitting in front of a computer becuase they'll all have the same result. lol

lmao oh god the shounen shop keeper are back in full swing. Kona beware they've got...Geass!?

now at lucky channel and...OMG O.O Akira-sama with dill hair pieces!...I don't know if I should be heart warmed you disturbed. Yay-ness Konata gets her own figure poor Akira comes up short again.

Wow the ending did suck...I guess they ran out of Karaoke jokes or something.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2007-07-07 at 23:17.
Old 2007-07-07, 23:06   Link #164
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I wish I could +rep you, Vexx... You make so many darn good posts, IMO. (Actually the problem lies in that I don't +rep people nearly enough. *hides*) ...For the record, I think Kona is cute physically and personality-wise... she just happens to engage in non-cute activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing
Okay the Yu-gi-oh! reference kind of caught me off guard. Totally didn't see that coming...Hmmm...I wonder what Kona-chan's deck would be like?
It would be the most awesome deck ever with all the incredibly rare holographic cards. Yes, it'd be so shiny that she'd blind the opponent before they'd ever have a chance to move. :O

Besides, I could see Kona blowing all sorts of money on the *best* collectors cards, buying at least three of each; one for playing with, one for occasionally looking at, and one tucked away never to see the light of day (for fear of fading ne).

Edit: I can't wait for Ponytail Day to be over so I can change my ava back. It keeps freaking me out - when I post, I think someone slipped in a second before my post and I look desperately around for my starey-face Kona ava.
Old 2007-07-07, 23:44   Link #165
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
It would be the most awesome deck ever with all the incredibly rare holographic cards. Yes, it'd be so shiny that she'd blind the opponent before they'd ever have a chance to move. :O

Besides, I could see Kona blowing all sorts of money on the *best* collectors cards, buying at least three of each; one for playing with, one for occasionally looking at, and one tucked away never to see the light of day (for fear of fading ne).
Meaning she won't even play with them. YuGiOh fans shall cry.
*Face remains unchanged*

I doubt she engages in trading cards...they're a bit too low in the otaku ladder for her. I guess we'll never know.
Old 2007-07-07, 23:49   Link #166
nanafan
horo fan

i didn't catch some of the references in this episode but i did catch the uguu. i still think konata's imagination is hilarious.
Old 2007-07-08, 00:45   Link #167
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

"none of your average" .... "guys here date more for hotness" .... yeah, there's a segment of the population that thinks like that... but plenty of people here don't care for those guys either :P There are plenty of other population segments that behave in other ways.
Well, the stereotypes exist for a reason. No one should be saying "all American men are xxx" (except if it's a tautological 'xxx') but language and description demands some level of generalization. It's also naive to think that stereotypes have no effect on behavior - of course it does. The stereotypical characters in American media be it TV, movies, songs, books and so forth form psychological models and make implicit shapings of American culture to its image. Teens lean towards doing what teens on TV do, or what other teens do, because that seems like the prototypical behavior for them. I have ample evidence of psychological mechanisms in the current literature to back up my general claims but to be honest, I'm too lazy.

As a person from Asia and living in North America now, I agree that sweeping stereotypes is probably a mistake. But there is a difference in character of the general population, and the sort of attitude that the previous poster was pointing to is not at all wrong in my opinion.

But I seriously disagree with him/her that Kona is not cute I soo want a daughter like her, it's not funny.
Old 2007-07-08, 00:53   Link #168
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Yeah I was... don't mind me, I didn't sleep last night working on a project so don't take it too seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
But I seriously disagree with him/her that Kona is not cute I soo want a daughter like her, it's not funny.
Hahaha, yeah I kinda do too... but I'm not otaku enough to be her dad. I think cuteness has various definition here and I was refering the kind of cuteness where you want to date the girl, the typical "kawai" when talking about a Japanese girl. Many guys in Asia would date a girl purely on cuteness.... Kona's is not really that kind of cute. But cute as a child (okay a weird child), hell yeah.

I always thought Kona to be a super daughter. I really think she became an otaku, consciously or sub-consciously, to be just like her daddy or to be her dad's best buddy. I mean, this creepy dude was there checking out his daughter's teenage friends in miko outfits, and she's there cheering him on. You can't ask for a better child.
Old 2007-07-08, 01:20   Link #169
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

I absolutely agree that someone can completely enjoy this show without getting all the references. I'm sure I only catch a few of them but each episode still makes me lol irl at one point or another.

As for the actual episode, I really liked the valentines part, and tsundere kagami was sooooooo cute, and i was actually afraid it was real at first =P
Old 2007-07-08, 02:00   Link #170
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Kona's Miko-Okashi Rap:

「巫女・おせち・巫女・お雑煮・巫女・
おかし・おかし・おかし・おかし・巫女・おかし」

Miko * Osechi * Miko * Ozouni * Miko
Okashi * Okashi * Okashi * Okashi * Miko * Okashi

Translation:

"Miko * New Year's Food * Miko * A Mochi Soup Dish * Miko
Candy * Candy * Candy * Candy * Miko * Candy"

What a lovely little rap from an otaku-child to her tsundere love-interest.

Although Okashi can be just meant as snack foods, to me okashi means mostly sweets.
Old 2007-07-08, 02:20   Link #171
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mmmmmm, Ozouni ..... we have that every New Year's (along with a serving of the obligatory black-eyed peas in deference to our Texas heritage - hint, add jalapeno pepper bits, tabasco, a bit of garlic, and salt to the peas).

Loved her little song-chant though... hell, loved most of the episode.
Old 2007-07-08, 02:38   Link #172
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I've added the summary to my blog, and yes unfortunately that is the real rating for the episode for me in the poll box. Did not like this episode at all. In fact I rather loathed it as I lay out in my blog post.

Despite this, I still hope for the best in the next episode which should introduce Konata's cousin and hopefully breath new life into the series. As such I'll continue to stick with this series through thick and thin.
Old 2007-07-08, 14:43   Link #173
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Rissa-chan... it's probably its because you're more Asian than American. I may exaggerate at jailbait part, but none of your average her age gaijin-sans will even think about dating her. Okay maybe a 6 grader. I mean, she looked tiny and young by Japanese standard. Her body hasn't changed since she was 11 or 12. The thing is girls like that are usually, eh, Chiyo-like and cute as a button. Guys here date more for hotness than cuteness in the first place, and Kona-chan is not at all cute. She's a karate-black belt (maybe) who enjoy eroge and cosplay-rape doujin. I'm pretty sure you're nothing like that.
It might be because I'm more Asian than American...but what exactly is wrong with that again? ^_^
Old 2007-07-08, 15:53   Link #174
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Kotatsu is not that great.. your hands and feet are warm but your BACK IS FRIGGING COLD!
Speaking of that, dont you people ever wonder, how in anime characters sleep with only a smaaaaaal blanket on their stomach ? Shouldnt they catch cold, like, every week ?
As i understand, in reality most of japanese people use "normal" beds and normal-sized blankets.
Old 2007-07-08, 21:16   Link #175
Zero Ska
the archivist.

Send a message via AIM to Zero Ska Send a message via MSN to Zero Ska
I love all of the Keroro References. 'Specially towards the end.
Old 2007-07-08, 22:55   Link #176
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Kona's Miko-Okashi Rap:..."Miko * Osechi * Miko * Ozouni * Miko Okashi * Okashi * Okashi * Okashi * Miko * Okashi"....
I wonder if this was another ad lib? Or is it in the manga?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-08, 23:28   Link #177
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I believe it is anime-only ... but let me check my notes..... I should note that I'm not automatically disliking "anime-only" material .... but I'd prefer it to focus on Lucky*Star and not other random products or non-L*S. In other words, if I wanted to watch a different series, I would
Old 2007-07-09, 00:07   Link #178
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
Speaking of that, dont you people ever wonder, how in anime characters sleep with only a smaaaaaal blanket on their stomach ? Shouldnt they catch cold, like, every week ?
As i understand, in reality most of japanese people use "normal" beds and normal-sized blankets.
it depends on the room. Most westernized houses has normal beds.

In a Japanese style house or room, there's are no beds, but the floor is made from a straw mat called tatami. if it's summer and you sleep on a tatami, then a small blanket maybe enough. In the winter they would put these huge cotton "blankets" on top of the tatami and put another identical one on top of you. It's SUPER warm and comfy... you'd never want to get out from under such blanket... it' heavy and cozy. Sigh, I can never find one in the US...

Quote:
Questions:
What's with the extreme closeness when the characters board the bus, zooming in on Kagami shuffling into her seat?
Actually I've just re-watched the entire Haruhi run with my wife this weekend (Lucky Star introduced her to Haruhi, imagine that) and I realized that these camera technique was everywhere in Haruhi. I think it's just a parody of the Haruhi's cinematography. Upon second viewing I can say that Haruhi's got a storyboard which rivals hollywood movies. It's a good self-parody from KyoAni, and maybe some in-jokes involving specific director which a more advanced otaku would know about.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-09 at 00:50.
Old 2007-07-09, 00:46   Link #179
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A lot of japanese don't use the "western style bedrooms" because they waste so much space. Living quarters tend to run quite small.... really small.

Like AVPlaya says, a properly made futon-bed on a tatami mat is really a great thing. And when you put them away, there's all this extra usable space.

There was a period in the 90s where Japanese went nutso over "things Western" to the point of a lot of japanese furniture and antiques became cheap to acquire here in the States. But there's been a trend in the last few years to return to the traditional stuff because.... it really just works better.
Old 2007-07-09, 01:06   Link #180
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
A lot of japanese don't use the "western style bedrooms" because they waste so much space. Living quarters tend to run quite small.... really small.

Like AVPlaya says, a properly made futon-bed on a tatami mat is really a great thing. And when you put them away, there's all this extra usable space.

There was a period in the 90s where Japanese went nutso over "things Western" to the point of a lot of japanese furniture and antiques became cheap to acquire here in the States. But there's been a trend in the last few years to return to the traditional stuff because.... it really just works better.
Vexx-sama, I just realized that the word futon is now part of the English language and I was thinking about ways to describe it. baga no ore..

I love how functional Japanese rooms are; they can be turned into any function in minutes. It's love it how everyday western bed rooms like Kona's have western beds but still have the traditional Japanese low table, and everyone still sits on the floor. If I'm loaded enough in the future I will turn one of my rooms into a Japanese room. However, I don't think it's easy to find the supplies or the labor.
Closed Thread