AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-11, 11:03   Link #1221
Zarn
ナギさま~!

Just finished UBW, Good End.

Now that's a proper ending for this game! Cute Archer x Rin at the end, Saber staying in this world as my waifu like she should have already done in Fate, Rin becoming my magic teacher and even offers me to jog with her on a daily basis!

I think I'll pass on HF
Zarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 18:32   Link #1222
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarn View Post
I think I'll pass on HF
...See, what you just did was condense my entire reasoning for disliking UBW fanboys into one, concise post. Thank you.

I think it's good to not pretend that things don't exist because you personally don't like them. I also think it's good to finish what you start.

But that's me.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 09:25   Link #1223
Zarn
ナギさま~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
...See, what you just did was condense my entire reasoning for disliking UBW fanboys into one, concise post.
How am I a fanboy? Is it because I liked this ending and didn't want to have it spoiled by another? To be honest I find the entire storyline pretty damn boring and I skipped most of it in UBW. I like this route for two reasons:
  • Good End.
  • A non-depressing Saber.
Quote:
Thank you.
You're welcome.
Quote:
I think it's good to not pretend that things don't exist because you personally don't like them. I also think it's good to finish what you start.
First, it's just a game. Second, I went through both routes from start to end. The HF portion of the story doesn't interest me as much, so why go through it? Besides, I find that reason irrelevant. Although each route follows the original storyline they are all greatly altered, so in a sense it makes each route feel like a story of its own.
Zarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 12:43   Link #1224
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
However, you are clearly ignoring the immense background information in HF by what I can only see in your post as personal bias. Its fine if you don't want to finish the story, but you'd clearly be missing a big part of the bigger picture: All the background info behind the Grail War, more backstory for the characters (for one of your favs in fact), very funny and heartwarming moments despite being a more somber route, and the list goes on.

Before you say that summaries are enough, I can say, with experience that they aren't. You've come this far, go ahead and finish the last chapter so you can close the book totally.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 17:47   Link #1225
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarn View Post
First, it's just a game. Second, I went through both routes from start to end. The HF portion of the story doesn't interest me as much, so why go through it? Besides, I find that reason irrelevant. Although each route follows the original storyline they are all greatly altered, so in a sense it makes each route feel like a story of its own.
Again, as I have said before in this thread: Not really.

They're all connected, they're all part of a complete story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
However, you are clearly ignoring the immense background information in HF by what I can only see in your post as personal bias. Its fine if you don't want to finish the story, but you'd clearly be missing a big part of the bigger picture: All the background info behind the Grail War, more backstory for the characters (for one of your favs in fact), very funny and heartwarming moments despite being a more somber route, and the list goes on.

Before you say that summaries are enough, I can say, with experience that they aren't. You've come this far, go ahead and finish the last chapter so you can close the book totally.
Thanks for the support.
Old 2009-04-25, 21:12   Link #1226
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

After starting this, and taking a break in the middle to play Clannad due to the show ending, I finally finished the Unlimited Blade Works route. All bad ends and endings.

Once again, here are my thoughts:

Favorite Scenes
Longer then my listfrom Fate, but the route is just that epic:
Day Three: Saber vs. Berserker - Shows how completely badass Saber can be once she gets going.
Day Six: Archer vs. Caster - Archer dodging A-rank spells left and right. Doesn't kill Caster only because he missed on purpose. This is why he is GAR.
Day Twelve: Tohsaka Rin VII - Shirou and Rin have a nice talk in the graveyard. Rin's muses on whether her methods are correct and Shirou reassures her. Nice little couple moment.
Day Thirteen: White Forest - Berserker reflects and comforts Ilya as she and him are dying. Really added some backstory to them. Ilya gets little screentime in this route, but she definitely makes the most of it.
Day Fourteen - Lance of Sure hit vs. Shield of no Lose - Lancer vs. Archer. Can't get more epic then this.
Day Fifteen - The End of a Hero - Lancer shows that he is completely awesome. Who needs a heart when you got Battle Continuation?
Day Sixteen - Shirou vs. Gilgamesh - Shirou shows hes come a long way with his own Unlimited Blade Works. He chopped off Gil's arm!
Day Sixteen - Stay Away - Archer says goodbye. Nothing more needs to be said.
Both Endings - Rin shows she's especially lovely. Saber is my wife.

Musings:
I was startled how much Shirou changed over the route. It was surprising character development.
Lancer owns everyone. He should really get more screentime over the game, he's interesting.
Caster was good and seems to like torturing Saber a bit too much.
Archer is enjoyable because he's sarcastic and cynical. That appeals to me.
Tsundere Rin is quite amusing.
Say what you want about Shirou, but I have to admit, he always knows what to say to completely disarm Rin.
Sex scenes are still hilarious. Does Nasu enjoy making me cringe?

Overall:
This being Rin's route, she easily steps up from her supporting role in Fate. I will admit I quickly succumbed to her charms. I love that though she puts up a big bad Magus front, inside she's just a teenage girl unused to all of this. Rin has interesting development as she falls for Shirou and slowly starts to be her real self. Archer is the other major part of the route and easily dominates all scenes he's in. How he struggled against himself and his acceptance of the beauty of his ideals were easily some of the best parts. With this and the epic battles, this route was totally worth it.

Questions:
What was with the vortex that swallowed Gilgamesh at the end? I don't get that.

Why doesn't Caster want Koizuki to know about Assassin?

How does Koizuki easily kill Rider?

Now on to Heaven's Feel. Sakura hardly got any screen time in the last two routes, but I'll give her a chance.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 23:49   Link #1227
rastilin

Quote:
Why doesn't Caster want Koizuki to know about Assassin?
Because Caster's breaking the rules by summoning Assassin. She doesn't want her master getting ultra-paranoid at what else she might be planning behind his back.

Quote:
How does Koizuki easily kill Rider?
With the advantage of surprise when she's completely unguarded. Koizuki has enough firepower to kill a servant but is lacking the supernatural technique to succeed head-on. If he gets the drop on one though, he can end it quickly.
rastilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 01:58   Link #1228
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
What was with the vortex that swallowed Gilgamesh at the end? I don't get that.
You will. Or should, if you pay attention in the next route.

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on HF. Most people here hated the route, but I loved it. >_>
Old 2009-04-26, 09:30   Link #1229
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Quote:
I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on HF. Most people here hated the route, but I loved it. >_>
I know people's opinions on it differ extremely but I'm trying to go in completely impartial. I look forward to more development on Sakura and Rider. As well as the whole sisters thing they've been hinting at the last two routes.

One last question:

When Shirou accepts Caster's offer, what exactly happens? Did she turn him into a wand of projection?

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 04:28   Link #1230
Seitsuki
Onee!

Personally I dislike Saukra the most out of the three main heroines simply becuase she is the most angsty/selfish character imo. The HF path is epic and canon to boot, and very enjoyable as well but I just disliked this path the most for some reason. Still im not a "fanboy" of any particular route cos I support Iriya and she gets the short end of the stick in any scenario. (UBW would be worrrst -_-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
One last question:

When Shirou accepts Caster's offer, what exactly happens? Did she turn him into a wand of projection?
are you talking about the scene when Shirou accepts to free Taiga? I think all that happened was that he allowed Caster to remove his command seals (they can only be transferred by consent or hacking the appropiate part off)
Old 2009-04-29, 13:00   Link #1231
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
Personally I dislike Saukra the most out of the three main heroines simply becuase she is the most angsty/selfish character imo.
She's not really that selfish compared to some of the ACTUAL villains, and I, personally, like angst, but to each his own, of course.
Old 2009-04-29, 13:38   Link #1232
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

Quote:
She's not really that selfish compared to some of the ACTUAL villains, and I, personally, like angst, but to each his own, of course.
Like which villains?
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 14:26   Link #1233
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
Like which villains?
Zoken, who wanted to live forever? Caster, who was willing to kill hundreds in order to stay in the world with the man she loved?

Hell, Gilgamesh. "Materialistic" would be an excellent way to describe his personality, which goes pretty much hand in hand with being "selfish".

Sakura, conversely, silently put up with years of abuse, years of unhappiness. Her only real "selfishness" was wanting Shirou, who she never actually thought she would have. It's only after she snaps completely that she becomes "selfish" at all, and that's kind of the point of being evil.

I don't see how people can present Sakura in such a negative fashion if you examine her past. She's supposed to be sympathetic, but I guess a lot of people don't sympathize with rape victims.
Old 2009-04-29, 16:11   Link #1234
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't hate Sakura for her selfishness when she snaps. In fact, I started to like her more after she snapped.

What I dislike about Sakura is that I'm forced to pity her throughout the majority of the game. After hooking up with two kickass girls, getting the weak girl who I have to pity and take care off was... disappointing.

100% personal opinion, of course. I just like kickass girls more then damsels in distress.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 16:18   Link #1235
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
100% personal opinion, of course. I just like kickass girls more then damsels in distress.
So do I... Sakura is my least favorite heroine, but I still like her.
Old 2009-04-29, 18:03   Link #1236
Seitsuki
Onee!

Sakura's character is just the least developed imo. and unlike Saber or Rin she doesn't get any -awesome- moments. points for the face-heel-face turn tho
Old 2009-04-29, 18:22   Link #1237
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Killing that bastard Shinji as he was just about to rape her is pretty awesome.

Ripping Zoken out of her own heart was pretty awesome.

But yeah, I see what you mean. Nothing like Rin blasting Berserker's head off or Saber... being Saber.
Old 2009-04-29, 20:36   Link #1238
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
Sakura's character is just the least developed imo. and unlike Saber or Rin she doesn't get any -awesome- moments. points for the face-heel-face turn tho
IMO, Sakura was the had an impresive development, it's just that, she didn't change for good But compared to Rin, whose development is almost null (she is amazing from begining to end, but always the same kind of amazing), and saber whose story is basically seing her became more and more girly (no offense to saber fans ), I think a rape victim slowly tranforming into the mother of all evils is quite a development.
Deadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 20:49   Link #1239
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwings View Post
I think a rape victim slowly tranforming into the mother of all evils is quite a development.
See, this. This is why I liked Heaven's Feel. Developments like this.
Old 2009-04-29, 23:03   Link #1240
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
See, this. This is why I liked Heaven's Feel. Developments like this.
but she does bad things, i mean baaaad things D: not bad like Fate from nanoha, but evil bad. hell she gets nihilistic enough to torture her own sister for crying out loud. and you (shirou). it's *DEVELOPEMENT*, sure, but still..

Tags
fate/stay night, visual novel