AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-06-06, 22:34   Link #181
Stealther

I agree the pacing of this episode has been the best so far. The direwolves are a disappointment though, being no more than dogs really.
Also been a decade since a last read the first book, so I don't remember how the first book ends either. The only thing I know is that the story and characters will continue to grow until book 3.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 23:16   Link #182
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Screw this $hit, I'm officially forcing my GF to call me Lord dark...Additionally, I'm going to ask her to fix me some tea, add some of my favorite hazelnut creamer, and bring it to me while saying, "Lord dark, your milk of the puppy" ^^...

Don't worry, she's a fine wench, she'll play along...

I don't know, I just finished watching ep 8 and I'm just feeling like I wanna be in the GAME...This is the best show I've watched this year, and the tension beyond tension BEYOND TENSION of this episode has got me licked like nothing else...Another golden episode...

I had hope for more King's Landing, as the episode began with the kind of calamity that makes your heart scream, but I was pleasantly horribly surprised by how so much $hit hit the proverbial fan...A tree crying blood was the least of my jawdrops as it appears this tepid and tangible fantasy world just flashed the audience showing it's brightly colored thong...The re-introduction of the undead zombie walkers (Whitewalkers?) being the part that sticks out from the crack of the arse...

SO this is what I've learned...

First and foremost: Fingers are not important in this world (WTF?)...Secondly:

Tyrion is my favorite character, if he wasn't before he is NOW (And he WAS before)...Khal Drogo has no respect for the human tongue as witnessed today (Jesus!), but Tyrion Lannister treats it as a prized possession, sharper than the $hittest sheep axe, stronger than the stench of Primative Hilltoppers (and their women it seems, *ick*)...He's just a little bundle of loquacious lyrical awesome...How he'll talk his way out of battle, who gives an Imp, he'll do it...

Spider might actually be a good guy, or has he even gotten me in his web?

401K sucks for the head knight...

And I can't forget to mention the Broccoli-haired Dance Instructor...Good Moves...But sir, you are NOT Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)...

Protip: Grab the iron sword, even after you rape 5 guys with a broomstick, still grab the iron sword, please bruh...

And finally someone picked up the joystick on Mortal Kombat Winterfell Addition:

(add the cheezy BGM in your mind)
****HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER****

So the Young Lord Stark finally shows his wolf fangs...Hidden much of this show behind the scenes, he finally comes forth with the nobility of his father and the misguided forthright of his mother...I rather liked his scene with Greyjoy (sp?) admitting his fear and that that meant he wasn't stupid...But is he now? He seems like a character ready to break out as a new champion of the series...

Always more to say, Sansa actually having a backbone, Cersei's c*ntmode on flair, Jon Snow not being (Said in Ned Stark's voice) "The Butcher's boi", Arya's pointy end had a fatkid on it, and Little Rainman badgering his mom for more "Milk of the Slutty"^^...

What more greatness can this show bring me? Ned Stark save a sip of water, its gonna be a long winter...I'll be sipping my puppy as the battles commence...
Old 2011-06-07, 04:36   Link #183
Jaden

Really enjoying the show to this point.

There've been a few original scenes, lately the scene where Khal Drogo was wounded. I don't think there was any description of that in the book? Also his wounds don't actually seem that serious, from the book I got the impression he had massive, agonizing gashes on his chest

Oh, and milk of the poppy is basically opium, right?
Old 2011-06-07, 06:24   Link #184
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The Sins of the Fathers (and mothers):

I also noticed that Martin had written this episode. It seems to be the busiest of the season so far - just tons of stuff happening. Maybe they just wanted to make sure certain very important elements of foreshadowing were done correctly.
I like your summary how the sins of the parents would come to bite back at their children.

PS: I notice another mistake. The throne of the 7 kingdoms is not the "Iron Throne", but the "Golden Throne". The latter is actually the resting place of the Emperor of Mankind in the Warhammer 40k lore. If it was the latter, the forces of the Imperium will show no mercy to everyone in the 7 kingdoms.

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2011-06-07 at 08:09.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 07:04   Link #185
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

Oh, and milk of the poppy is basically opium, right?
Yes, it is known, but puppy sounds funnier^^...Squeezing milk from one that is...That might make you hallucinate right?

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2011-06-07 at 07:24.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 08:46   Link #186
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
PS: I notice another mistake. The throne of the 7 kingdoms is not the "Iron Throne", but the "Golden Throne". The latter is actually the resting place of the Emperor of Mankind in the Warhammer 40k lore. If it was the latter, the forces of the Imperium will show no mercy to everyone in the 7 kingdoms.
Why W40K? "Golden Throne" is actually a very generic term, you can find it anywhere both in fiction and reality.
Old 2011-06-07, 13:47   Link #187
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So.. 18k vs 60k isn't it? And have to attack through a bottle neck, in unfamiliar ground, where their God is not there to look over them....

I really don't know how Rob can pull this off
Old 2011-06-07, 18:56   Link #188
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

They don't have to attack throgh The Neck, they've already crossed it.
And they're in Catelyn's House's territory, so not exactly unfamiliar ground.
Old 2011-06-07, 22:05   Link #189
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So.. 18k vs 60k isn't it? And have to attack through a bottle neck, in unfamiliar ground, where their God is not there to look over them....

I really don't know how Rob can pull this off
No, Robb was at the neck, from which the North has repeatedly beat southern enemies in the past (until the Targaryans came with dragons- hard to fight tanks that fly and breath fire).

But unfortunately they have to go south and beat the Lannisters. Jaime has 30k, and Tywin has 30k. If Robb can join up with the river lords he'll probably get another 15k to 20k. But he'd have to beat Jaime to do that.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-08, 11:05   Link #190
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
No, Robb was at the neck, from which the North has repeatedly beat southern enemies in the past (until the Targaryans came with dragons- hard to fight tanks that fly and breath fire).

But unfortunately they have to go south and beat the Lannisters. Jaime has 30k, and Tywin has 30k. If Robb can join up with the river lords he'll probably get another 15k to 20k. But he'd have to beat Jaime to do that.
If there's a real fight, i expect Robb to win. Because they will be eliminated otherwise and this will becomes really one-sided
Old 2011-06-09, 06:52   Link #191
Jaden

It's interesting because the Lannisters have basically a mercenary army. There's a clear distinction on who's on their payroll and loyal to them, and who isn't. Tywin says the word and the army goes.
Robb's army relies on the honor and whims of the individual lords and ladies, and if someone decides to join the army, they'll also have the right to argue over strategy and all that. It depends on his charisma and sheer luck whether his campaign is going to be successful.
Old 2011-06-12, 15:50   Link #192
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

^
That's not entirely the case. The Lannister's army, while filled with sellswords and other people of questionable loyalty, contains people who are loyal to a man who not only is the father in law to the past king, but the grandfather of the current one, and also unlike Robb had been doing this job of being the head of the Lannister for a long long time. Robb had his father basically rule and govern while he was still being taught the art of all of it, and then got thrown rather suddenly without much direction, and to boot these northern lords had sworn loyalty to his house, yes, but they trusted the father, not the boy. He needs to do a lot of work to earn their trust.

Anyway, today's episode will be very interesting, in more than one way.
Old 2011-06-12, 21:10   Link #193
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Sooo....who wants to kill Joffery right about now?
Old 2011-06-12, 21:54   Link #194
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Years ago, when I had first read A Game of Thrones

Spoiler for episode 9:

And now I cry myself to sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
Sooo....who wants to kill Joffery right about now?
Robb and the North.

Renly and Highgarden

Me, and you, and probably everyone else watching.

It's time for war. And Joff doesn't have a lot of friends anymore.
Old 2011-06-12, 23:40   Link #195
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

The fcking brat.... God damn it....
I don't know what else to say. This is not gonna be the end of this...

One more episode to go?

PS: After calming down a bit. Any detail on how Rob got Jemmy? That was a real surprise there, i and my brother was like "wow, he got THIS guy"
Old 2011-06-12, 23:52   Link #196
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I guess budget reasons made it impossible to show the battles. Too bad.

But dang what an ending.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 00:40   Link #197
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The fcking brat.... God damn it....
I don't know what else to say. This is not gonna be the end of this...

One more episode to go?

PS: After calming down a bit. Any detail on how Rob got Jemmy? That was a real surprise there, i and my brother was like "wow, he got THIS guy"
Robb tricked Tywin into thinking his army was coming for him when actually it was a ruse as the army sent to attack Tywin's army was a decoy as Robb was actually aiming for Jamie's army. Not only did they catch a valuable target but also got the support of The Riverland Lords as Jamie was attacking their lands since Catelyn's family rule the Riverlands.

PS: I'm still angry over that last scene. What was that boy thinking?! Even his mother and the Small Council were going "WTF? No NO NO!"
Old 2011-06-13, 01:42   Link #198
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
It's time for war. And Joff doesn't have a lot of friends anymore.
He has the Lannisters, and they are worth 3 of any of the Houses...

---

Great episode. The last 2 or so have been very story oriented, with everyone marching to war, and I thought this episode would be no different. Instead, we have many great pieces of acting here: the first is from, of course, Peter Dinklage, who manages to dig even further into the emotional tapestry that is Tyrion Lannister as we learn of his "wife" and the ever discomforting relationship between Tywin and his Halfling son. The second though, surprisingly enough, was Richard Madden as Robb Stark. Madden has been very average (well, average for this great series), so I haven't commented on him much, but in this episode, Madden really matures as an actor and breathes some real life into Robb. Whether it be sacrificing his happiness for family (as he is forced to wed a "lesser" noble just to achieve a small step in his military campaign (I saw small, but it is not minor)), or learning of the horrors of war and the fact that he has to sacrifice personal honour for victory (the scene between Jamie and Robb is superb, as Robb is forced to realize that he and his honour are nothing before the war he is waging).

That being said, an assortment of other great performances abound. Great character actor David Bradley (best known in the US for his portrayal of Argus Finch in the Harry Potter franchise) was quite fun as 'Late Lord' Walder Frey. Peter Vaughan, another great older British actor, really shined as Master Aemon Targaryen, and his scene with Jon Snow, debating duty and honour (the obvious theme of the episode), was simply superb. And finally, Sean Bean (who is sure to be nominated for his performance come award season), gave a masterful death scene (that Arabesque already described quite well).

I could go into greater detail about the pacing, the music, and the very good editing and transitions (I love that the entire "war" was simply skipped, saving room for the characters instead of the killing (btw, yet another horse death takes top billing for most brutal death in the episode)), but I would go on for too long. So, I'll just end by saying that this is easily the best episode of the series. 90/100. Can’t wait for next week’s finale…
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 04:25   Link #199
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Hehe, I hate spoiled brats, now there is one more in my black list.

Anyway, a really powerful episode, with excellent pacing and good direction. Also on a side-note, I like the limited budget, because it forces the staff to focus on characters and emotions, instead of flashy, but pointless battles.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 08:49   Link #200
Xagzan

That was a heavy, heavy end right there. I was really hoping for Arya to just rush forward and stick that little pimple king with the pointy end. Ah well, maybe someday.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones, hbo