AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-03-08, 00:36   Link #41
james0246

^It's not that "The Cove" is a bad documentary (though it is too obvious in its narrative and too one-sided in its presentation, but compared to past winner "Fahrenheit 9/11", "The Cove" is almost unbiased ), rather it's that “Which Way Home” and “Burma VJ” were far superior documentaries.

That being said, did anyone else notice that Bea Arthur was left off the 'In Memoriam' tribute?

Last edited by james0246; 2010-03-08 at 01:00.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 02:13   Link #42
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Unsurprising, if overly "political" awards (Bullock and Bridges were not the best in their categories...
The best for whom and based on what? Results are almost always decided by a combination of subjective and objective criteria. And whoever wins it, it is always the same. As long as they deserve it, then that should be okay.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 03:04   Link #43
james0246

^How does one "deserve" an award? You "earn" awards, either by talent, prestige, heritage, association, or a damn good marketing campaign (Bullock really didn't have any of these, rather she has popularity, which shouldn't earn anyone an award). No one "deserves" an award.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 03:51   Link #44
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
I demand an Oscar for Hans Landa, gosh, that guy was brilliant!!
Seems like I wont have to raid anybody after all. All hail Hans Landa and his well deserved Oscar!
Old 2010-03-08, 04:33   Link #45
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^How does one "deserve" an award? You "earn" awards, either by talent, prestige, heritage, association, or a damn good marketing campaign (Bullock really didn't have any of these, rather she has popularity, which shouldn't earn anyone an award). No one "deserves" an award.
In a deserve an award after receiving kind of way (you look at it and see whether she deserved it or not). If someone who got the award is as good as the rest of the nominees, then the result should be okay and acceptable even if not agreeable due to personal preferences (and I think Bullock was different in this movie, unlike her roles in many of her other movies, much stronger and impactful).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:36   Link #46
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:

>> Hurt Locker : Sound Editing / Sound Mixing / Film Editing / Writing (Original Screenplay) / Best Picture

That brings the grand total to 6 . Also Kathryn Bigelow created history by being the first women to win an Oscar for best director in academy in 82 years . Its like Sidney Poitier all over again . Eat Dirt that Cameron thats what you get for abandoning Terminator .

I am a bit disappointed Clooney did not win I haven't seen Crazy Heart . Nor I am going to bother watching it, not my kind of movie . Guess Bridges deserves it , still would have liked Clooney to win .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
Seems like I wont have to raid anybody after all. All hail Hans Landa and his well deserved Oscar!
Yuppers you called it a month back , this was one Oscar which was truly deserved and for a change Academy did not disappoint .
Old 2010-03-08, 15:08   Link #47
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Most of the awards were what i expected and while I felt some of the winners were the "popular" choice (Bullock) I was overall satisfied.

It was nice seeing Michael Giacchino win an oscar for Up. He is a brillant composer (one of my favorites) and I've always enjoyed his musical works; especially what he has done on LOST.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 16:08   Link #48
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Here is the Post Oscar interviewers of Kathryn Bigelow and Christoph Waltz . Here is a picture montage of Oscars event courtesy Yahoo .

Quote:

Hats-off to Neil Patrick Harris for putting ' MAN ' in Manliness since 2004 : D

Old 2010-03-08, 16:24   Link #49
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Hats-off to Neil Patrick Harris for putting ' MAN ' in Manliness since 2004 : D
Indeed, that was one of the nights best moments.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 00:41   Link #50
NinjaYali
Banned

Looks like a apolitical, low budget film about soldiers simply fighting in Iraq won over a big budget, anti-war and pro-environmental one.

Not to say that Avatar and Hurt Locker aren't equally awesome regardless of whatever message they present but still great win for Indy films. Goes to show you don't always need big money for entertainment.

Without further ado, congratulations Katherine Bigalow.

And congrats to Christoph Waltz as well for his affably evil Nazi.

And also really big congratulations to Sandra Bullock. Best leading actress (for Blind Side) and Worst Leading Actress (for All About Steve)

So, free copies of All About Steve for every member of the audience. Wonder how much one was worth for so many copies

Last edited by NinjaYali; 2010-03-09 at 00:51.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:18   Link #51
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Was Tom Hanks in a bad mod when he presented the best movie oscar or something?
Old 2010-03-10, 04:26   Link #52
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Looks like a apolitical, low budget film about soldiers simply fighting in Iraq won over a big budget, anti-war and pro-environmental one.

Not to say that Avatar and Hurt Locker aren't equally awesome regardless of whatever message they present but still great win for Indy films. Goes to show you don't always need big money for entertainment.
But Avatar's message was VERY poorly done. It was so black and white, like everything would be solved if we just embrace nature.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote