Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-28, 03:22   Link #101
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
Is PKing even allowed in SAO because that actually is a huge factor in something like this. Or do you have to agree to duel?
It's allowed as long as you are outside of town you can be killed by either mobs or players.You can also be killed in a duel depending on the choice.
Old 2012-07-28, 13:00   Link #102
pampz21
ShipCore

mines is focus on leveling....I like how Kirito thinks that going to the other city and grind is much better....Better xp even tho a little bit slow to kill....And im not the social type so eventho im a soloer i still keep the items for myself....and doesn't care about protecting other people! its a lil bit lonely but still the best/highest way for me to surving a death game!

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 01:36   Link #103
Calca
Expressionless

After watching episode 4 I probably would go down every once and awhile and help lower level players. There is a satisfaction in MMOs of walking in an area and knowing absolutely nothing can kill you.

If you can save a few lives while doing it that'd just make it a lot better. Also with PKers, this opens up a whole new can of worms. Suddenly bounty hunters are a whole new profession here from people whose friend/brother/spouse may have been killed...
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 15:30   Link #104
styr

I'm really surprised that nobody else aside from Coper/Kirito ran to Horunka village before the 'tutorial' began in the starting city to complete that all-important "1st real weapon upgrade" quest. I think Kirito was planning on doing that before Klein stopped him, but we'll never know now. Makes me wonder what could have happened if things had gone a little differently.

If I had the same beta experience Kirito had I probably would have done the same thing: rush to the next city. I wonder if the starting city had any quests though? Even if they did, Kirito's decision must have meant they were not worth it if he decided to rush to Horunka. I've personally played several MMO 1st day release/expansions and the first starting area is always extremely crowded but it gets a lot better once you are ahead of the pack - and those were on servers with less than 10k players at that. People like Asuna who waited a week or two before venturing out must have been at a severe disadvantage although she managed to overcome it.

The comment made by the unfortunate guy (in Rondo of the Transient Sword SS) who exhausted all of his Anneal Blade enhancement attempts makes it seem like you can repeat quests, no? Even though he had already done it, they mentioned trying it again to repeat the enhancement process. Makes me wonder how the quest system works. If you could turn quests in repeatedly, Kirito really should have taken the extra flower and not left it on Coper's makeshift grave, that way he would've had a backup weapon and could have enchanted it differently for different purposes. Seems like having multiple weapons for various situations would be very wise in a game of life and death.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 11:09   Link #105
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
I'm really surprised that nobody else aside from Coper/Kirito ran to Horunka village before the 'tutorial' began in the starting city to complete that all-important "1st real weapon upgrade" quest. I think Kirito was planning on doing that before Klein stopped him, but we'll never know now. Makes me wonder what could have happened if things had gone a little differently.

If I had the same beta experience Kirito had I probably would have done the same thing: rush to the next city. I wonder if the starting city had any quests though? Even if they did, Kirito's decision must have meant they were not worth it if he decided to rush to Horunka. I've personally played several MMO 1st day release/expansions and the first starting area is always extremely crowded but it gets a lot better once you are ahead of the pack - and those were on servers with less than 10k players at that. People like Asuna who waited a week or two before venturing out must have been at a severe disadvantage although she managed to overcome it.

The comment made by the unfortunate guy (in Rondo of the Transient Sword SS) who exhausted all of his Anneal Blade enhancement attempts makes it seem like you can repeat quests, no? Even though he had already done it, they mentioned trying it again to repeat the enhancement process. Makes me wonder how the quest system works. If you could turn quests in repeatedly, Kirito really should have taken the extra flower and not left it on Coper's makeshift grave, that way he would've had a backup weapon and could have enchanted it differently for different purposes. Seems like having multiple weapons for various situations would be very wise in a game of life and death.
About Coper and the flower, you're probably right that you can do quests multiple times, but you'd think there was at least a "quest timer" so you can't do it repeatedly within a short time frame. He also mentions a quest when he talks about the cream used on the bread!

The thing about no one else running to do the Anneal Blade quest is -- well, not sure about the answer, but the fatality rate among beta testers was actually higher than the general population. The "I know what's going to happen" thoughts are fatal when you're wrong -- isn't that right Diabel?.

I think I'd also stick to solo'ing, but mostly at night. I know night time is dangerous, but I think getting used to it is important. Remember that PKers and orange guilds didn't become widespread until deeper into the game. So a level advantage early on is important. Thing is though, solo'ing and getting hit by paralyse or other poison is almost certain death
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 04:33   Link #106
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just an update

Note: This applies in most online games. Hope SAO has different classes other than being a swordsman (e.g. mage or archer).

For the start….

Beginner/Novice

>Know Thyself.

This is simply knowing everything about your class, knowing your weakness and strength, your skills and your health of course.

>Grinding.

That is levelling up and at the same time earning cash or loots to sell at merchants. You can’t survive without money. Pots are not always being drop for free. You buy them. Also, high level weapons and armours are expensive. Level up and saving for the future.

Apprentice

>Mastery.

This includes knowing the right skills for the right enemy. Like using ice versus fire, etc.

>Combo/ Combination Skills.

Using two or more skills that provides a sure win against a particular target. It saves energy. The more energy you save the more enemies you kill, also saves you the cash for spending in energy potions.

Master

>Lets Party

It’s easy to build a party. The question is “Is your party strong?” A party is formed for purposes of levelling up faster and in killing bosses. What are you a GM?!

A strong party compose of (don’t know if SOA is applicable in this):

> Tanker (The Damage Taker)

The player that could stand beatings from multiple monsters but can’t fight enough to put them down all at once.

> FS (Full Support)

Also called a healer, the person that keeps the party living. He is the heart of the party. He increases the damage, defence, life, and attack rate of all party members. If he dies, then chaos follows.

> Nuker (Damager)

The main damage provider which is always a wizard or mage. He focuses in area attacks for multiple kills. Ice, fire, lightning, earth and water is he’s to pure destruction to the enemies.

Optional member

> Lurer (The Monster Caller)

He’s main purpose is to lure enemies toward the tanker. The tanker just stands while the lurer runs constantly for fresh supplies of monsters to kill. Preferably an archer.

> Replenisher/ Summoner

Somebody that keeps the party going by giving additional boost to mana / energy and lessens the mana / energy consumption of all members. Wizards and FS need constant amount of energy to abuse their skills against the enemy.
I mentioned Summoners for emergency purposes when accidentally the Tanker cannot take more damage or may have ended dead. The Summoner will summon a pet/monster for the enemies to attack while the other members retreat.

Veteran

Usually a solo player. He fights alone and have parties when bored. Nothing to tell. He lives to fight until the end. Example Kirito.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 04:59   Link #107
styr

@Genji

In SAO there are only tanks, dps and hybrids (those who can switch back and forth, like Klein) and melee weapons only. [mod edit: removed spoiler for future novel content]

From what we know since Kirito mentioned it, groups in SAO mostly use switch and pot rotation to keep up their HP during prolonged engagement like boss battle. If the fight lasts long enough you can even sleep during a boss encounter.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-01 at 11:35.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 05:40   Link #108
Raviel

@Genji

What styr said, also Kirito clearly states in the first episode that there is no magic in SAO.

The only ranged weapons you can get in the game are mid-ranged throwing weapons
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 08:04   Link #109
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
@Genji

What styr said, also Kirito clearly states in the first episode that there is no magic in SAO.

The only ranged weapons you can get in the game are mid-ranged throwing weapons
Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
@Genji

In SAO there are only tanks, dps and hybrids (those who can switch back and forth, like Klein) and melee weapons only. [mod edit: removed spoiler]

From what we know since Kirito mentioned it, groups in SAO mostly use switch and pot rotation to keep up their HP during prolonged engagement like boss battle. If the fight lasts long enough you can even sleep during a boss encounter.
I said that before I gave mine part... if it doesn't apply then its not... it'll come in handy in most online games....

I guess you could drop the mages and healers... though pet lovers exist.. lolzz

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-01 at 11:35. Reason: edited quote
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 13:46   Link #110
relentlessflame

*Administrator

This thread has to be kept safe for anime-only viewers too, so if you post any information from unanimated content, please place it under properly-marked spoiler tags (meaning you must indicate where the spoiler is from, for example the volume of the novel). I deleted some posts above that contained improperly marked spoilers. As it said in the opening post, you should also try to avoid discussing spoilers as much as possible here, because it only restricts who can participate.
Old 2012-08-01, 16:39   Link #111
Divini
Senpai!

The very first thing I would do is to either select skills/choose a class (for job-based games), that would boost self-sufficiency, survivability, and escape ability. Not only does it give great solo ability, but is helpful when partying and raiding as well. As the MMO adage go, "You do 0 DPS when you're dead"

A class example would be RO's Crusader and Super Novice, or WoW's Paladin and Rogue.

A skill example would be Mabinogi's Shield Melee to Mana Master build, or SWG's: Gunner/Medic build.

Now if I was one of the participating death game members in SAO, I'd probably use a build similar to Kirito's. I think the limit is 11 skills, so I'd choose:

Spoiler for SAO skills:
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 18:28   Link #112
lightbringer
M9000

I've always been mostly a solo player in MMOs, which is why I really like Kirito. I figure if I was in this kind of situation I'd also solo my way up. Past experience with PUGs has always been a mixed bag but more bad than good, and no IRL friends of mine play MMOs despite my best efforts to get them hooked.

I would try to always be in areas that are a few levels below mine, for efficiency and safety reasons. That's normally how you can get the best XP, and the chance of dying decreases, too.

I'd keep a stock of survival items of course (healing and curative potions, teleport / town portal items).

After that it's just a matter of knowing your class inside out and min-maxing your skills, feats, and attributes (no mean feat given that you are stuck inside the game and hence lack access to Internet resources... as I would normally research the game before playing though I'd have to rely on memory for gameplay basics). That and staying well away from potentially hostile PKers.... so definitely something like hiding or searching skills would be useful.

My preference has always been STR-based melee DPS, mostly shield + longsword (or two-handed) and heavy armor, but if a DEX-based lightly armored melee DPS build would be viable in the game I'd try for that instead. Most often DEX-based classes are ranged, although in some games you can also do dagger builds with DEX.

Crafting is only an option when it doesn't get in the way of precious combat skills. Playing the AH is boring but if it was indispensable to my survival I'd do it.

Staying in the starter town is only good until the first town invasion event wipes you off the map. In a death game MMO you never know if something like that might or might not happen. So staying passive is basically the most risky thing you could do. I probably would not be part of the clearing group but I'd not sit around doing nothing and waiting to get killed by the first mob that sneezes my way.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 12:09   Link #113
Deathrip

Actually I was thinking:"What if they actually made a game Sword Art Online without the VR but just like an actually MMORPG as of today with all the idea's of the LN?"

I think that would be a pretty good game where you can compose your own combo's and stuff. I think it would be hard to make tho .
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 09:57   Link #114
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrip View Post
Actually I was thinking:"What if they actually made a game Sword Art Online without the VR but just like an actually MMORPG as of today with all the idea's of the LN?"

I think that would be a pretty good game where you can compose your own combo's and stuff. I think it would be hard to make tho .
Haha.. I was pitching the idea to a friend. They should make a SAO MMO .. where when your character dies? They're DEAD. Gone forever, like Diablo "Hardcore" mode.

The problem we came up with, was that this could lead to people doing crazy things IRL -- "You killed my character, you're DEAD!"

Now.. thinking about SAO again, it seems like playing a tank character is the safest for soloing.. but man, you have to be BRAVE to be a tank in the clearing group.. No heals, dependent on skill and armor alone to keep you alive.. Someone misses a "Switch!" and you're gone!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 10:41   Link #115
Awrya
U mad?

It probably won't work well (if at all), imagine a clearing group is on floor 99 and challenges 100th floor boss, but a wipe happens.
They can restart with new characters starting at lv 1, but who would go that far? All your skill points&equipment is gone, you start with the standard beginning equipment after days and hours of grinding&levelling.

In WoW, the hardest available content took ~2 weeks (if I remember right) to clear, with plenty of wipes. Imagine you go from the best equipped player in the game to wearing a white shirt with a blunt sword as your weapon, would you honestly be willing to level up, farm your gear and attempt the boss a second time, while knowing dying could easily waste the time you spent into the character?

It can serve as an exciting alternative option to standard levelling like in Diablo, but a game with only a hardcore mode will soon lose its customers.
Old 2012-08-03, 10:42   Link #116
Rakshasa

Second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 2012-08-03, 11:02   Link #117
Divini
Senpai!

Well, in most games with a "Hardcore" mode, it's entirely optional. Either they're in the same server as everyone with some kind of experience bonus or they're on a separate server...

In any case, a Hardcore mode in a game like SAO, which you can literally live a second life, would actually probably simulate the "Death Game" pretty realistically. Trust me, when you lose a character that you poured much of your time, effort, and care into, the feeling can be worse than death. It also wouldn't really prevent people from advancing up the tower, people that would play that type of mode are the ones that would to be the elites of the game community. While they would be more cautious, they have the same desire to advance as a "normal" player.

As for testing out bosses, I'd imagine a guild making a bunch of lv1 alts and sending them to the meat grinder
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 11:16   Link #118
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
As for testing out bosses, I'd imagine a guild making a bunch of lv1 alts and sending them to the meat grinder
They won't really give any information about the bosses special attacks if even normal attacks one-hit them

But such a hardcore mode would probably take game addiction to new heights, and I can totally see RL PK if a player intentionally kills another. Keeping your identity hidden is probably the most important thing in the game.
Old 2012-08-03, 13:03   Link #119
Deathrip

I loved Diablo hardcore because you know every action you take might kill you. Regarding the going from full geared to white gear, you can do it like it is in SAO and stay in safe areas or overlevel. I couldnt imagine people really stay in the safe towns tho becuz their irl lives doesnt get lost if they die. But {insert name} does what he pleases ( LoL anyone? )

Oh the game also will be 80 GB + I imagine
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 14:36   Link #120
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrip View Post
I loved Diablo hardcore because you know every action you take might kill you. Regarding the going from full geared to white gear, you can do it like it is in SAO and stay in safe areas or overlevel. I couldnt imagine people really stay in the safe towns tho becuz their irl lives doesnt get lost if they die. But {insert name} does what he pleases ( LoL anyone? )

Oh the game also will be 80 GB + I imagine
by 2022 i suspect internet connections will t3 or better and drives will be gaseous or liquid base and hold a couple of hundred TB.