AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-10-11, 06:56   Link #3461
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
The games also did poorly.. ±35k in it first week.. while something like Ni no Kuni (A Level 5 collaboration with Ghibli) sold 170k units in it first week, or even a Level-5 original like Danball Senki (56K).
It's even worse when you consider the latest SD Gundam game sold +209k in its first week.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 08:47   Link #3462
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sabers View Post
After the low TV ratings, now it's the manga....

Well, it was to be expected
Quote:
The games also did poorly.. ±35k in it first week.. while something like Ni no Kuni (A Level 5 collaboration with Ghibli) sold 170k units in it first week, or even a Level-5 original like Danball Senki (56K).
Wow, the anime, manga & game all go south! Talk about total failure. Now, after all this disaster, I really wanna know the expression made by the genius from Sunrise/Bandai who appointed Hino for this job .
Old 2012-10-11, 09:39   Link #3463
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor
I really wanna know the expression made by the genius from Sunrise/Bandai who appointed Hino for this job
Spoiler for His Final Expression:
Old 2012-10-11, 10:02   Link #3464
janipani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
No. I think they failed at gaining mainstream success by being poorly written & poorly executed .
That what's mainstream often stands for.

Because when people are doing something mainstream it leans them towards recycled ideas in which they usually hit lower than the original one and probably also lower than many other copycats. Which makes show seem to be underestimating its audience because they notice that "This same scene is pretty much in five other animes I've seen and this was the most poorly executed".

And what does this do to hardcore fans who actually liked the traditional non-mainstream approarch. They will hate it and they will feel rejected because their taste is not being appreciated by the anime staff.

Mainstream is more difficult field than many assumes. Real mainstream stuff are something that pop out in every tenth year which all others try to copy. In anime it works somehow because one copied idea may not be seen by everyone yet and this makes them actually like the copy version instead of the original. But anyways.. because mainstream usually means recycled ideas the quality often drops, because the team is not thinking which is good for real but which statistics tell them, that works best.

Gundam was good, because it was different. Actually the poor writing on people social relationships where typical recycling. They decided that there simply MUST be a childhood girlfriend in every generations.. kind of "heroine" of a sort.

They also find a way to put high school drama in to it.. I don't remember, but perhaps even the stupid beach episodes too which is almost a must in every japanese highschool drama. Of course you must see the girls in swimsuits.

Lost originality is very very bad thing. I hope they learned their lession and there is not going to be any more mainstream attemps. I know gundam audience are demanding and they expect a lot from the plot, but you can't avoid that demand by just trying to change your audience towards mainstream people. You will fail.

plus.. I understand also that also traditional way of Gundam is recycled liek forever but that is their field and they know how high they have to aim that they can please their fans.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 10:29   Link #3465
galdr

IMO Gundam rarely succeed on manga with some exceptions.

The failure of the game is huge blow to both Level-5 and Bandai though.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 11:47   Link #3466
Se7en Sabers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wow, the anime, manga & game all go south! Talk about total failure. Now, after all this disaster, I really wanna know the expression made by the genius from Sunrise/Bandai who appointed Hino for this job .
TV, manga, game and what about the kit sales ?

Still, I highly suspect the same scenario
Se7en Sabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 14:38   Link #3467
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

AGE Kits arent doing too well either, better than the dvd sales though, i'd say. lol
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 20:11   Link #3468
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

The latest DVD only made 400 sales almost 500. I love AGE despite its rushed plot, non existent development to the side cast not important to the main characters, and some poor executed moments so seeing how terribly its doing in everything kinda stings a bit. Dx

I guess we won't be seeing the PSP games stateside oh well I can just watch the play troughs online....

Was SD Gundam Force also an attempt to gain a younger generation of fans?

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 00:04   Link #3469
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
that's sad and fun at the same time, it kinda feels like laughing at a drunk.
There's criticism and critique, and then there is pure snark. Let us please try and keep the discussion above the level of silly comparisons to drunks.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 00:33   Link #3470
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Level 5 has been dropping bomb after bomb lately, Ni no Kuni had a shipment of 1 million copies... selling 170 week 1 (and sales are extremely frontloaded unless you're main Nintendo games or Monster Hunter) was just a disaster.

My main concern with Hino getting this gig aside from him not deserving it or him being a horrible writer was that he would be leaving himself to thin. He had so many projects on his plate at the time, funny how every single one included AGE flopped.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 14:06   Link #3471
helois

sorry if there was another question like it,but why:

Age1: Normal,Spallow,Titus
Age2:Normal,Double Bullets, -----
Age3:Normal,Orbital, Fortress

i didn't follow anything about Age,except the first episode,but i couldn't find anything online that could explain the missing "variation"...
maybe it is explained in two minutes in one episode,or something else and i'm too lazy to search and read every reviews of the episodes..

thank you in advance,and sorry if it is a repost or a wrong post(mecha topic il wil be righter? )
helois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 14:42   Link #3472
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by helois View Post
Age2:Normal,Double Bullets, Dark Hound
Fixed for you
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 15:36   Link #3473
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

There's also the AGE-2 Artemis, though that one appears only in the game and replaces the Double Bullet for the last battle in Gen 2.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 00:48   Link #3474
galdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
Fixed for you
If you count Dark Hound, you should count Flat and Glanza for AGE-1 and maybe Special Forces version for AGE-2 as well.

The Wear function sure is underutilized in anime. In 3 Generations arc, all 3 Gundams are total overhaul instead of using new Wears.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 08:26   Link #3475
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
That what's mainstream often stands for.

Because when people are doing something mainstream it leans them towards recycled ideas in which they usually hit lower than the original one and probably also lower than many other copycats. Which makes show seem to be underestimating its audience because they notice that "This same scene is pretty much in five other animes I've seen and this was the most poorly executed".

*snip*
Yes, mainstream often stands for “recycled ideas”, but to receive a success, more often than not, it must be well-written & well-executed. I think it’s clear that well-written story =/= original story. A cliche-ridden story can still be well-written/well-executed (e.g. Gurren Lagann) and become successful, while original story can still be poorly written (e.g. Black Rock Shooter, arguably)and bombed.
Old 2012-10-21, 07:31   Link #3476
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Ratings, if someone could translate that would be awesome. Thanks!

Edit: Translation(from /m/, take it with a grain of salt):

Here is what it says:
1. The red line is the averaged ratings y episode.
2. The blue line is kids between 4-12
3. Green line is teens from 13-19
4. Adult males from 20-34 is the black line.

20-30 year old females were sampled but they all disappeared after the start of the series.

Most of the audiences watching the previous anime before Age starts all dropped off except the adult males.

Ep 42-43 was the WORST performing episodes.

After episode 34, the adult male audience stabilised. (I guess this means they finish the show on principle)

The third generation got the worst ratings.

Ep 5 got the highest rating, final episode had the worst rating. Episode 48 was when most people jumped ship.

Compasred to other Gundam shows:
Average rating
1. 6.6% 1985 Gundam Zeta
2. 6.12% 1986 Gundam Double Zeta
3. 6.12% 2002 Gundam SEED
4. 5.41% 2004 Gundam SEED Destiny
5. 5.32% 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam
6. 4.84% 2007 Gundam 00
7. 4.47% 2008 Gundam 00 season 2
8. 4.25% 1995 Gundam Wing
9. 4.11% 1994 G Gundam
10. 3.89% 1993 Gundam V
11. 2.99% 1999 Turn A
12. 2.75% 1996 Gundam X
(Gundam X is an average of 3.51% in the first half and 1.21% in the 2nd half)

DEAD LAST: 13. 2.56% 2011 Gundam Age
(Cour 1 3.22%, Cour 2 2.33%, Cour 3 2.25%, Cour 4 2.23%)

Last edited by Znozzy; 2012-10-21 at 08:03.
Old 2012-10-21, 08:14   Link #3477
Se7en Sabers

Indeed, Gundam AGE performance is even below Gundam X's

Here, an article about this (in french) telling that the cancellation of the series was even considered for a time due to his poor performance http://actu.gundam-france.com/2012/1...mes-daudience/
Se7en Sabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 08:17   Link #3478
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

and a google translate link for those who don't speak french:
http://translate.google.com/translat...nce%2F&act=url
Old 2012-10-21, 09:05   Link #3479
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Ep 42-43 was the WORST performing episodes.

final episode had the worst rating. Episode 48 was when most people jumped ship.
Isn't that a contradiction?

Also, jumping ship at the second to last episode? They could've at least spared another 30 minutes.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 11:59   Link #3480
FalsePrime

Outside of being amazed at how AGE totally bombed it's also interesting to note just how close OO/Wing/G are in terms of how they performed.

All three did well/to very well and yet looking back and comparing them to how they are treated now makes it look like their placements on the chart would be much different then how they are.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote