Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-22, 00:32   Link #381
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
And their parents are not fools.
Haha, I wish this was the case for all parents. Sadly, I can say that there are plenty of parents out there that don't really care about this type of stuff.
Region lock? Most kids won't care about that stuff, because they can't understand foreign languages and just buy the ones that come out in English. And of course, I doubt most parents care more, unless they are a gamer too.
I remember when I was 10 years old. I didn't even know what Region Lock was.

As for the battery life...
As a person still using the old DS, which now has a battery life of like... 20 mins., I think it is enough. Assuming you are going on a trip that lasts so long, I think it would be better for you body if you take a nap or two and do some other stuff too.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 09:06   Link #382
caddyalan

Right now my thought about the 3DS is "wait and see." The games currently slated for release sound okay, but not enough to justify the price of the system. Until I see a game that sounds compelling, I might hold off.

Right now there's plenty of portable games in my collection that I love, and a fair number that I haven't had much time to play. While I like portable games and enjoy them during commutes / break times, there's only so much time and money...
caddyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 22:37   Link #383
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyalan View Post
Right now my thought about the 3DS is "wait and see." The games currently slated for release sound okay, but not enough to justify the price of the system. Until I see a game that sounds compelling, I might hold off.

Right now there's plenty of portable games in my collection that I love, and a fair number that I haven't had much time to play. While I like portable games and enjoy them during commutes / break times, there's only so much time and money...
Quoted for truth. It took me quite a while to get my PSP.
Old 2011-01-23, 14:19   Link #384
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

£229 in the UK and around £157 in the US is what's getting to me. I was fine with paying £200+ at first, though not after finding this out.

It's a decision i'll think about for a few more weeks. It's not like i'm in any rush because i still play on my PSP quite a bit, though the fact that DS games can be played on them is a huge factor for me. There's a huge library of DS games that i'd love to play again, and some new ones i never got the chance to.
Old 2011-01-23, 14:54   Link #385
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Since it took me almost 3 years to even bother getting a DS think I can wait a while on the 3DS. Might as well wait for some games I really want to dive into to show up first. Still looks like it'll be pretty good to pick up when the time is right.
Old 2011-01-23, 15:07   Link #386
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
£229 in the UK and around £157 in the US is what's getting to me. I was fine with paying £200+ at first, though not after finding this out.
The US are done for, you can't compare their prices with Europe anymore. Many people over there are more concerned getting foodstamps for the next month then buying the newest gameboy...
Old 2011-01-24, 20:01   Link #387
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

One Nintendo representitive, when asked what we should do to play games not available in our region, say "you should buy the 3DS from that region".
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/01/3ds-bill-trinen/
Quote:
Wired.com: I was just curious because the DS is completely region-free, which a lot of people enjoyed. A lot of people enjoyed being able to import games and not having to get a whole new system — what would you recommend to people who would want to import a game and play something that isn’t localized here?

Trinen: Well actually with Nintendo DSi, the system was region-locked, and obviously Wii is region-locked, our home consoles have always been. I mean, I guess if you’re really intent on playing [Japanese content], then you can get a Japanese 3DS.
Thanks, Nintendo! You just approved me screwing the Australian retailers!
Old 2011-01-24, 23:20   Link #388
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
One Nintendo representitive, when asked what we should do to play games not available in our region, say "you should buy the 3DS from that region".
What else would they say? If the system is region locked and you still want to play a game from that region, then the only thing you can do is buy a 3DS from that region. Otherwise, just wait for the game to be localized or just live with it.
Since the answer is so obvious, it feels like this question was asked in denial of reality. It happens a lot, really. You know, like when you ask, "Really?"

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 03:08   Link #389
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
The US are done for, you can't compare their prices with Europe anymore. Many people over there are more concerned getting foodstamps for the next month then buying the newest gameboy...
Even though we're "coming out" of the recession things are still terrible. However never underestimate we Americans, we'll go without food for a month if we can get our hands on the latest gadget.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 04:28   Link #390
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
What else would they say? If the system is region locked and you still want to play a game from that region, then the only thing you can do is buy a 3DS from that region. Otherwise, just wait for the game to be localized or just live with it.
Since the answer is so obvious, it feels like this question was asked in denial of reality. It happens a lot, really. You know, like when you ask, "Really?"
My point, is that region lock is fundamentally designed to force people to buy locally at local prices. So to claim one should import a foreign 3DS is proof that the region lock is entirely meaningless.

Now I want the same question to be asked at the 8th of Feb at the Australian 3DS conference. Because the Australian representative obviously can't tell people to not buy local; that would be shooting themselves in the foot. (The Japanese don't care, they get the money either way.)
Old 2011-01-25, 07:00   Link #391
Leo Keichi

I'm thinking about buying the Japanese 3DS. What's leaving me in doubt is the Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright game. It won't be funny playing that without understanding the story.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 15:35   Link #392
Sides

Looks like online retailers here in the UK are battling each other and started to cut down the price, with shopto listing it for £199.85 (limited period only) and amazon at £202. I reckon £180-190 will be the average price once the introduction phase is over.

Didn't noticed that atlus are re-releasing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor as Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked for the 3DS, although it isn't a re-release, more like a pimped up version of it. Hopefully SE, or any other publisher, will consider the PAL market this time around, since things will be different now->region lock.
Read more on siliconera, and on atlus' NA forum. NA version will be release in the summer.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:02   Link #393
Sides

3DS utility features explained on andriasang.com
The internet browser sounds great, added later in the may update. Being able to google stuff, like walkthroughs or translating words, would make it easier to play japanese games. Hopefully they will consider an ebook/pdf reader as well.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 14:52   Link #394
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
So looking at the game line-up so far, it IS looking promising. Games I'm particularly interested in are....

-Animal Crossing
-BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
-Dead or Alive: Dimensions
-Harvest Moon 3D
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
-Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
-Medabots 3D
-Megaman Legends 3
-Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3
-One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP
-Proffesor Layton and the Mask or Miracles
-Proffesor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
-Tales of the Abyss

I mean, Dead or Alive going BACK to fighting? UNHEARD OF. Also, who doesn't want a portable version of Metal Gear Solid 3, the great game ever?

Spoiler for Metal Gear Solid 3:
Old 2011-01-31, 12:39   Link #395
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Most of those games are ports or Yet Another Sequel. Nothing worth buying a 3DS for, in my opinion.
Old 2011-02-01, 15:10   Link #396
The Master
*Author

I will get it for the new Professor Layton alone.
Old 2011-02-05, 02:10   Link #397
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Y'know, I was happy enough with Dead or Alive going back to fighting, but...

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/if-you-sh...es-they-jiggle

Have fun Samus Aran~
Old 2011-02-05, 14:10   Link #398
kyouray
2D > 3D

Just tried the 3DS this week.
It may be not new for people who already read E3 impressions but 3D was more a depth effect than things coming out from the screen. It's a little disappointing when you expect this but it's still sweet. However quality depend on games.
3DS itself was smaller than I imagined because I should be too accustomed to the 1st version of DS. The stick is far better than PSP's but start/select buttons are weirdly placed. Plus 3DS's really dusty (hostesses were constantly cleaning the top screen).

There were many demo so a few words about the most interesting games :
Zelda's a remake but it's so perfect with improved graphics and relief. They also add gyroscope function with the slingshot but you don't have to use it.
Kid Icarus is lovely and dynamic, it sure reminds me Space Harrier during shot phases. Afoot phases have a nice gameplay using the touchscreen to take aim at ennemies. It's the most promising game !
LEGO Star Wars : I had never played LEGO video games but this game was interesting. You have to finish levels with switching characters to advance. For example Yoda can make appear bridges while stormtrooper can use strings to cross over cliffs.
Steel Diver : I played periscope mode. You've to destroy ennemies with torpedos and you manipulate your periscope with gyroscope motion. It's fun but difficult to play on transports
I would like to talk about Pilotwings but I managed to play only a few seconds.
Paper Mario wasn't playable but 3D effect was very pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Y'know, I was happy enough with Dead or Alive going back to fighting, but...
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/if-you-sh...es-they-jiggle
Have fun Samus Aran~
Crap I forgot to try this
Old 2011-02-07, 18:43   Link #399
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

So it's all been somewhat confirmed that (much like the 360), the 3DS itself won't be region locked. The games will be what's region locked, so it's all up to the developers of said games if they want their game available worldwide.

This also makes it somewhat harder to get by the bloody region lock~
Old 2011-02-07, 20:17   Link #400
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

QUOTE=SOGESNAKE;3476692]So it's all been somewhat confirmed that (much like the 360), the 3DS itself won't be region locked. The games will be what's region locked, so it's all up to the developers of said games if they want their game available worldwide.
[/QUOTE]

The end results would still be "you can only play games bought in the same country as the machine you bought", wouldn't it? If they are going to play it rough for the fears of piracy, why not go all the way and make BOTH region protected?

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds