AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-05-08, 12:36   Link #961
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its kind of like walking up to a bookclub discussing, lets say, something by Kurt Vonnegut or Mark Twain and announcing it to be "weak and boring" .... lets just say it isn't Kurt or Twain that suffers from a credibility hit. Usually when I hear someone whining something is "boring" it really means they don't understand it and want the explanation handed to them on a platter. Anger isn't the response... its laughter.

The sheer amount of information per show coupled with the unusual camera angles and other directing techniques make this series interesting - I'm getting Orson Welles vibes from some of his more unusual filmwork.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-08 at 13:01.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 18:21   Link #962
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot
Hmm...such a weak and boring show already have so many raving fanboys all over the world...reminds me of (in)famous Naruto fan base...
Not to mention whoever thought of this "random episode order" - must be a total loonie.
I'd like to point out that the producers of Mystery Science Theater 3000 once said about their show was:
"It's not that everyone will get it, but the right ones will."
'Nuff said.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 19:38   Link #963
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
OoooH! thats a good one, seems like theres more to the eye then black feathers and lightsaber to you, Crowkenobi eh?
Old 2006-05-08, 19:39   Link #964
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
OoooH! thats a good one, seems like theres more to the eye then black feathers and lightsaber to you, Crowkenobi eh?
Everytime I think you can't say something cornier, you prove me wrong
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 20:57   Link #965
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
That's a gold, wise-cracking robot and lightsaber to you, bub!

Say 'allo to TV's Crow T. Robot of TV's Mystery Science Theater 3000:

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 21:45   Link #966
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
That's a gold, wise-cracking robot and lightsaber to you, bub!

Say 'allo to TV's Crow T. Robot of TV's Mystery Science Theater 3000:

ooh. i remember them, those funny american muppets,
i used to watch a bit of them around 3am on BBC 2, they shows those corny black an white Sci-fi when i was in college...
Old 2006-05-08, 23:49   Link #967
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland]
"Don't feed the Troll"
My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
"It's not that everyone will get it, but the right ones will."
Now that's a quotable quote! No idea what Mystery Science Theater 3000 is tho.
mr.muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 00:45   Link #968
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

http://ketto.com/so/index.shtml

Ahahahahahaha (x 5 minutes) "Konashi" ahahahaha

...a, ahaha, I mean, ahem.

So, finally, the Suzumiya Haruhi series gets an only event. But that naming sense... "来ないと死刑だから" ("konaito shikei dakara", death sentence if you don't come) I mean, 博麗神社例大祭 (Hakurei Jinja Reitaisai, Touhou's only event) or 雛見沢村綿流し祭 (Hinamizawa Watanagashi Festival) were great series-only event names, but this is...

On top of that, they abbreviated it down to "Konashi" (konaito shikei dakara).

But seriously, whether or not the Suzumiya Haruhi series can thrive as a valid doujin subject rests entirely on this only event: if it's a big success, you can expect to see more Haruhi doujin products in the future. If it flops, well, you probably won't see a Konashi2.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-09 at 01:19.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 01:53   Link #969
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y

So, finally, the Suzumiya Haruhi series gets an only event. But that naming sense... "来ないと死刑だから" ("konaito shikei dakara", death sentence if you don't come) I mean, 博麗神社例大祭 (Hakurei Jinja Reitaisai, Touhou's only event) or 雛見沢村綿流し祭 (Hinamizawa Watanagashi Festival) were great series-only event names, but this is...

But seriously, whether or not the Suzumiya Haruhi series can thrive as a valid doujin subject rests entirely on this only event: if it's a big success, you can expect to see more Haruhi doujin products in the future. If it flops, well, you probably won't see a Konashi2.
Hehehe nice name. I guess my head will be rolling if I don't fly to Japan soon :^) . But then again, Touhou has 10+ games (and the doujin games...) and a rich history to boot (10 years?). Ditto with Hinamizawa

SH doesn't have that much material to work with. Unless the author changes to weekly serialization I think people are going to get bored soon...Unless of course it goes Hinamizawa mode and become pure horror mystery.
Old 2006-05-09, 02:01   Link #970
Thelastguardian

Quote:

Hehehe nice name. I guess my head will be rolling if I don't fly to Japan soon :^) . But then again, Touhou has 10+ games (and the doujin games...) and a rich history to boot (10 years?). Ditto with Hinamizawa (not that long though).

SH doesn't have that much material to work with. Unless the author changes to weekly serialization I think people is going to get bored soon...Unless of course it goes Hinamizawa mode, or it gains second life in the doujin circle.

PS I look forward to Homeworld^h^h^h^h^h^h^h 射手座の日 game with Haruhi as my commander ^_^;;
Old 2006-05-09, 05:06   Link #971
Cardcaptor

Quote:

It's only 2 hours and a half. I guess the organizer doesn't seem to be very optimistic about this. A lot of ppl gonna show up and do Haruhi dance, I'm sure, but there aren't gonna be a lot of circles to choose from. Anyway, since Haruhi mandates it, I shall go...

However, Reitaisai is just surprisingly big. *Cry over the fact that he cannot go there.*
Cardcaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 09:36   Link #972
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

can someone explain what your on about?
Old 2006-05-09, 09:47   Link #973
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
can someone explain what your on about?
He is talking about a Douji convention exclusively involving Haruhi doujinshi.

But the convention itself only lasts two hours and a half, so it must be a very small-scale affair.

A "circle" in doujin-speak is a douji-publishing group. So when he said there won't be many circles to chose from, he is saying there is going to be only a limited selection of doujinshi available. Not surprising for an event lasting only 2 and a half hours.

In comparison, other equivalent events are much bigger. Haruhiism is relatively new, and only obtained recent exposure via the KyoAni animation. So it will take time for the fan-base to grow in the Doujin community. Hell, it's been less than 7 weeks since episode00. Even doujin artists don't work that fast.
Old 2006-05-09, 10:31   Link #974
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
He is talking about a Douji convention exclusively involving Haruhi doujinshi.

But the convention itself only lasts two hours and a half, so it must be a very small-scale affair.

A "circle" in doujin-speak is a douji-publishing group. So when he said there won't be many circles to chose from, he is saying there is going to be only a limited selection of doujinshi available. Not surprising for an event lasting only 2 and a half hours.

In comparison, other equivalent events are much bigger. Haruhiism is relatively new, and only obtained recent exposure via the KyoAni animation. So it will take time for the fan-base to grow in the Doujin community. Hell, it's been less than 7 weeks since episode00. Even doujin artists don't work that fast.
Thanks for the explanation. That post by Sushi-Y makes A LOT more sense to me now.
Just curious but is it normal for a doujin convention to be held just 7 weeks after an anime series starts? Or is it the work of Haruhiism?
mr.muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 19:31   Link #975
Argent

I have to say, this series gives me giddy joy. It's driven me to bookmark the novel translation project wiki and check it daily for updates.

When the first episode came out I didn't know quite what to make of it, but after seeing the end sequence dance I thought, "This may have something to it, better get the next episode." I'm glad I did.
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 20:20   Link #976
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardcaptor
It's only 2 hours and a half. I guess the organizer doesn't seem to be very optimistic about this.
Then again, it takes a lot of money to rent the event floors, so for a relatively new and unestablished doujin spot sales event, it can't be helped that it's going to be a small scale one.

But still, just because it's only 2 hours doesn't mean it can't do well. If enough Haruhi enthusiaists show up for those 2 hours, then future events are definately a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardcaptor
However, Reitaisai is just surprisingly big. *Cry over the fact that he cannot go there.*
Well, yeah, Touhou's doujin community just about dominates over every other doujin communities out there. You just can't beat an incredible cast like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
Just curious but is it normal for a doujin convention to be held just 7 weeks after an anime series starts? Or is it the work of Haruhiism?
Technically, since the novels have been out for a LONG time now, it's not as if the anime was the premier of the series or anything.

As for whether or not it's common to see series-only events occuring like this, well, in Haruhi's case, the sudden popularity of the anime probably did play a part in an event occuring so soon like this (while the anime's still airing). But again, it's not that uncommon to see small scale series-only event popping up here and there. Now, if Konashi can stir up enough interest, that makes it much more likely that Konashi2 or a similar event would be held in the future. Even if another Haruhi-only event doesn't get held, enough interest here will mean that more doujin artists will be motivated to do Haruhi doujinshis for other larger events like Comiket.

...By the way, is it just me or do I see "death sentence if you don't come" on the top of that page now?
いや、それは私が適当に訳したものなので、わざわざページのトップに載せなくても...^^;

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-09 at 20:47.
Old 2006-05-09, 20:31   Link #977
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
...By the way, is it just me or do I see "death sentence if you don't come" on the top of that page now?
LOL They're keeping an eye on you Sushi-Y

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 22:28   Link #978
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm how many of you seed the previous Haruhi episodes?

Its pretty cool to see that theres like 1000 more seeders than leechers now for episode 6 lol.

I seeded all previous episodes until the latest episode is out. I dont switch off my com often lol. I'm still seeding the OP single too, its almost at a 60 ratio.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 22:53   Link #979
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

In other topics, here are the latest news on the movements of Haruhiism in Japan (ha):

102 Haruhi flags in Nipponbashi's Den Den Town

Den Den Town is an electric street located in the Nipponbashi district in Osaka, and is widely referred to as the "Akihabara of Kansai".

For 2 weeks (5/9 - 5/19), a swarm of Haruhi banners will be taking over every corner of Den Den Town as a publicity stun... I mean, public declaration of Haruhiism. Yeah. That's it.

Giant Haruhi floor advertisement placed on the floor within the JR Akihabara station

This time, we got a large 3 x 3m floor ad of Haruhi mocking everyone who's going to be walking through the ticket gates of Akihabara station between 5/8 - 5/21. What an arrogant bi_ch.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu ED 「Hare Hare Yukai」 Released!

That's right, the time has come. Although the official release date for the ED single is 5/10, many stores in Akihabara have already begun to sell the widely-anticipated single on 5/9.

As you can see, the "Aim for Oricon No.1" movement is in full swing in Akihabara, storefront stands, ED dance loop demos, plus various notices and billboards can be found inside and outside of many stores across Akiba. By the end of the day (5/9), several stores, such as Tora no Ana and Asobit Game City have sold out their stock of Hare Hare Yukai.

Now then, with this much publicity, I wonder how well the ED single will do.
By the way, even the OP single, which wasn't part of the movement, managed to snatch the 10th place spot in the Oricon weekly rankings. One thing's for sure, this week's Oricon rank chart will be something to look forward to.

All you people who didn't buy the ED single yet, do it now from Amazon or something, otherwise it's death penalty for you!
Old 2006-05-09, 23:18   Link #980
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Hmmm how many of you seed the previous Haruhi episodes?

Its pretty cool to see that theres like 1000 more seeders than leechers now for episode 6 lol.

I seeded all previous episodes until the latest episode is out. I dont switch off my com often lol. I'm still seeding the OP single too, its almost at a 60 ratio.
Normally, I try to seed all the eps of smaller niche series that don't get as much love (To Heart 2, Lamune, etc) for as long as my bandwidth will tolerate it but the last few months I've been fighting with a rotten connection issue and "tech support"(not).

Gonna have to make up for it if/when my issue gets resolved.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen