AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Zero no Tsukaima

Notices

Old 2006-07-03, 06:21   Link #41
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Watched the first episode. I kept smiling and thinking "Oh, if only Harry Potter had a pervy side... he could do so much"

I do want to see the Yuuji-archetype sock it to the Shana-archetype, though. Could be interesting (and titillating) if it involved Sushi-Y's "5 times the hentai Yuuji is".
Old 2006-07-03, 09:20   Link #42
Srin Tuar
無謀

Well, the first ep was very well done, certainly did not betray my expectations.
The voice of shana seems to work very well for ruizu.

I liked the shana series but overall the storyline from this series has interseted me more.
(for one thing, its not quite as bleak)

I wonder how many of the books the anime will cover. I do kindof feel like Ive been spoiled
by having already read the first 5 volumes of the book series.

I bet plenty of people are going to see the show as a harem story for a while, but in reality it's
just not. (It has some moments, but its certainly not the premise of the show)

The Harry potter analogy really falls apart after the first book as well. Its not just another "kids in school"
plotline, despite having plenty of time spent in a school setting. Old Ossman plays nowhere near a central
role as Dumbledore did, and the school is not the centre of the universe. The injection of a pervy headmaster
adds a dose of something that was sadly missing from harry potter. Eventually the story all but departs
from the school.

The three different levels of status, heimin, kizoku, and ouzoku, play a central role in this series, and are a major
cause of a lot of the conflict. Pay attention to the first episode and you wll see how much it colors everyone's perception.

The main characters: Saito.
He seems to have backbone sometimes, but in general he is weak willed and lets himself get pushed around.
The person he seems most submissive to is ruizu. Overall I dont hate him as a character, but I wish he had just a touch
more pride and self-worth. He seems to gain courage over time, but so far he still lacks personal pride.

Ruizu:
very much a classic tsundere, but this character at least she has a sortof reason. She was raised as nobility, and basically
taught to act haugthy, high and mighty, etc. Her expericences in the storyline seem to be mellowing her and making
her mature as a character, even if saito himself isnt. The only thing I dont like about her is that she is very violent.

Kyuruke:
Hrm, she is pretty slutty, as is shown in the first episode. This is something she learned back at home however,
so ironically she does have a good heart buried in there somewhere. At first i disliked her immensly, but she seems to
have grown on me as the series progresses.

Tsubasa:
Others have mentioned her similarity to Nagato from haruhi, and at first blush they have abit it common: silent,
alwasy reading, and super powerful. The word "Yuki" they dont really share in common: its 有希 vs 雪, not the same.
Tsubasa does have a real name, and a very touching back story which actully explains how she is what she is today.
You wont get to see it in the anime though, unless it goes for 50+ eps maybe.

"englishingfying", such as that proposed in this thread. I'm going to go ahead and categorically reject it.
Even putting the names in roomaji is bad enough, imo. The historical references and what not have little significance,
and they are really just exotic sounding names, taken and imported into the story. (its supposed to happen on another
world right. did you see the two moons ) Once they are imported into japanese, its best not to try to extract them again,
because doing so miscolors things, imo.

Last edited by Srin Tuar; 2006-07-03 at 09:52.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 10:57   Link #43
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Just finished episode 1 myself after reading some comments about it.
What can I say? Shakugan no Shana all over again just with different story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos
Anyone know which group is gonna sub this series?
Just a FYI: this series as well as TsuyoKiss is "unfortunately" a MFI title, so don't expect to see it on AnimeSuki.

( http://www.rpguru.com/doc.php/legal/mediafactory.html )
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 11:03   Link #44
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Just finished episode 1 myself after reading some comments about it.
What can I say? Shakugan no Shana all over again just with different story
Come to think of it as Shakugan no Shana pawns Harry Potter!
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 15:34   Link #45
Iron Maw
Banned

Anyone know how many episodes are in this series? ANN lists 13, but I don't completely trust the site, due to the info being user submitted.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 18:16   Link #46
lordwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw
Anyone know how many episodes are in this series? ANN lists 13, but I don't completely trust the site, due to the info being user submitted.
Moonphase lists it as 13-episode. They are pretty accurate in the past.
lordwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 01:01   Link #47
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Just watched the first episode. Basically, kind of about the same amount of service as the novel, and it seemed that they were compressing things a bit or maybe going through things too fast. At least the transitions were a nice touch and added more hilarity to it.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 11:09   Link #48
evil-samurai

Watched it, and it wasn't bad but wasn't that great either. I never really liked Shana >.> and didn't end up watching much of it, but Zero no Tsukaima is trying to be more on the light side, which I like better.. at least in this show. I like the fact the girl sucks at magic But I dont expect to much from the show, though guess I'll watch it for now... Also! there seems to be a no pictures in the thread, (apart from those nice covers) Well... for some reason I had these two =)

evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 15:35   Link #49
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Just a FYI: this series as well as TsuyoKiss is "unfortunately" a MFI title, so don't expect to see it on AnimeSuki.

( http://www.rpguru.com/doc.php/legal/mediafactory.html )

Are you sure this is a Media Factory title? They were not listed anywhere in the credits on ANN nor animenfo.
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 16:03   Link #50
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless
Are you sure this is a Media Factory title? They were not listed anywhere in the credits on ANN nor animenfo.
Well, yeah, but visit the link - it's listed in the "Now on Air" section. So I guess ANN and animenfo should update their records.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 16:09   Link #51
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
same formula as many times before, but still quite fun.
I like the way Louise's failures at magic are always destructive
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 16:22   Link #52
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, yeah, but visit the link - it's listed in the "Now on Air" section. So I guess ANN and animenfo should update their records.

Alright thanks. Stupid Media Factory....
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 16:30   Link #53
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I enjoyed episode 1, too. Whether I'll keep going or not depends on time and what else I'm watching (too much), and on whether they just keep running the same jokes over and over again. I am not a great fan of Love Hina (same director). I thought Louise was great. I kind of bogged down in Shana, but that was because of the "plot", not the voice acting, which was very enjoyable.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 22:56   Link #54
Srin Tuar
無謀

I've never read the shana novels, but from what Ive heard of them the book was probably quite a bit more interesting than the anime. The anime was searching for an ending/conclusion where there was none to be had anytime soon, so i can understand how they had to depart from canon to tie things up. In all, the ending felt rushed and I quite nearly lost interest in the show altogether.

One particular aspect of this series is that each book has an "ending" were you could simply stop reading at that would be a perfectly acceptible finish for the whole series. That is very true of volumes 1-3, and somewhat less so for volumes 4+ because the number of loose ends you want to see resolution on start to increase. (all the two dimensional characters start filling in and you want to know more about them)

What this means for the anime is that it should be entirely possible to simply animate the story faithfully, and thereby keep it interesting. its also possible that theyll mess it up though, but I'll remain optimistic for now.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 13:00   Link #55
DaFool
Resident devil

I prefer to to Shana. Louise feels more deredere and less tsuntsun. The lighter atmosphere helps, because brooding dark atmosphere + ridiculous plot (i.e. Shana) does NOT help.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 01:19   Link #56
froinlaven
Wanchu!

I really liked the character designs (especially the meganekkos), but I'm on the fence as far as story goes. Could be good, could be not so good. And yeah, Louise is pretty much magical Shana. She even says "Urusai!" like, twice in the episode!

Full impressions here.
froinlaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 02:22   Link #57
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by froinlaven
I really liked the character designs (especially the meganekkos), but I'm on the fence as far as story goes. Could be good, could be not so good.
Don't worry, it'll get much better. Once we enter vol.2, Saito's hentai-power will go into full blast. "Oppai exercise" killed me.

It's a pity the anime's only covering up to vol.3 though, because I hear the story gets real interesting and involved past vol.6 (the beginning of the war)...
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 03:11   Link #58
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
"Oppai exercise" killed me.
Umherzahwhahuh?
Old 2006-07-06, 23:33   Link #59
lord yama
Haitoku no Honoo

Send a message via MSN to lord yama Send a message via Yahoo to lord yama
i hope someone subs this series cuz it looks good just like shana. Please someone sub this series
lord yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 12:45   Link #60
Kawool
地獄女

Send a message via MSN to Kawool
I really liked episode one...Kirche is a bit too much fanservice but well as 'men make good pets' ...louise is already my hero haha
I think i'll actually prefer this one over shana, and hopefully plot will become more n more interesting!

@lord yama
dont worry your wish came true

Last edited by Kawool; 2006-07-08 at 19:09.
Kawool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, ecchi, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, shounen, tsundere