AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 48 47.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 15.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-23, 13:54   Link #141
Kaguya
an idler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Yeah, what if Horo and the big guy DON'T fight? Everyone's assuming they do, it seems. :l
Horo has no grudges to large wolf.
Probably, finishing peaceably is her best selection.

Spoiler for Ep13:
Old 2008-03-23, 14:17   Link #142
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Not fighting is the more realistic way for animals to settle territorial disputes. Animal equivalents of knock-down drag-out fights aren't the norm in the animal kingdom. Usually there are displays of strength, some intimidation, and then one contestant concedes defeat and skulks off out of the territory. If the author wants us to remember that Horo is a wolf and not a human, that may be how this crisis is resolved.

Here's another thought. While our sympathies lie with Horo, she is in fact the territorial invader. Older and wiser, she may be, but the territory belongs to the other wolf. She may try to avoid a skirmish altogether because in the animal kingdom's way of looking at things, she's in the wrong for entering another wolf's territory. Maybe she'll try some lupine diplomacy saying "I'm just passing through. So let's keep it peaceful, shall we?"
I've made a small bet that she and the wolf will work out a "win-win" scenario that involves trashing Remerio company...
Old 2008-03-23, 19:13   Link #143
viny
a new otaku

hm...

Lawerence got jumped on for the second time, i wonder wad happened to the blond chick?
Old 2008-03-23, 20:00   Link #144
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Not fighting is the more realistic way for animals to settle territorial disputes. Animal equivalents of knock-down drag-out fights aren't the norm in the animal kingdom. Usually there are displays of strength, some intimidation, and then one contestant concedes defeat and skulks off out of the territory. If the author wants us to remember that Horo is a wolf and not a human, that may be how this crisis is resolved.

Here's another thought. While our sympathies lie with Horo, she is in fact the territorial invader. Older and wiser, she may be, but the territory belongs to the other wolf. She may try to avoid a skirmish altogether because in the animal kingdom's way of looking at things, she's in the wrong for entering another wolf's territory. Maybe she'll try some lupine diplomacy saying "I'm just passing through. So let's keep it peaceful, shall we?"
Agree that Horo could be seen as a territorial invader in this sense. Though certainly not making any attempt to claim the territory for herself. Wasn't out there picking a fight or something of that nature. Pride was related to that other wolf not allowing her to simply pass through. He was the big wolf there and she wasn't going to be allowed to just walk through without being confronted.

Definitely some personal bias for Horo so will have to be forgiven. Though do wonder how they will resolve this. Horo certainly has her own pride and won't just bow down to this youngster that has had the nerve to call her out. Will probably try to impart that she is just going through and has no interest in that forest. Maybe can come to some sort of agreement. With Vexx it would be something if they went after Remerio though that would involve going into the city. Which really would get the church into a fit and just cause more trouble for the wolves in that forest than it'd be worth.

The other wolf did make a challenge here so will see how it goes. Hard to think a young male with some pride would just back down. Do know that a big brawl might not happen, but if it does....Go Horo!
Old 2008-03-23, 22:59   Link #145
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I'm pretty certain they'll be duking it out, or that Horo will have to transform to "knock some sence" into the other wolf. Horo intends on a fight. Why else would she tell lawrence that the next time he sees her, she may be cold, wet, and naked? (thus why she gave him the traveling cloak, so she'd have something to wear). Horo is definitely planning on there being some form of scuffle, whether it's a full out fight or more a a quick vie for dominance remains to be seen. Hey, maybe the other wolf just thinks Horo's pretty or something, and doesn't want her to leave the forest....
Old 2008-03-24, 08:33   Link #146
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

WOW i just watch all the episode till now... i luv this show. Too bad there is only 13 episodes of this... it deserves much much more
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Old 2008-03-25, 06:03   Link #147
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuma77 View Post
WOW i just watch all the episode till now... i luv this show. Too bad there is only 13 episodes of this... it deserves much much more
I bet there will be a second season, so dont get depressed . The whole point of this show is the traveling to the forest. And we know they wont get there this season . So second season for the wiiiin .

P.S. I have no confirmation, But trust me, there will be a second season for sure *_*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've made a small bet that she and the wolf will work out a "win-win" scenario that involves trashing Remerio company...
Yup. They will definitly trash those losers *_*. Huray, HOOROO. But why would that wolf want to trash the Remerio company? But your theory seems super interesting and at the same time possible.
Old 2008-03-25, 10:59   Link #148
Kristen
*Author

Honestly, this episode was exactly the same as all the rest of the Spice and Wolf episodes. Very one dimensional characters in a one dimensional plot. And I still have absolutely no idea what's going on with all of this complex logic and reasoning and backstabbing and all...

This show really isn't for me, and probably never will be. It's too complex of a show, and is really nothing of my expectations. I was hoping for a sad adventure story, and I got Death Note compressed into 13 episodes.

So, the actual episode gets a 5, as will the series, most likely.
The parody subs were good though. ^_^
Old 2008-03-25, 11:26   Link #149
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Awesome. I hope Horo kicks all their butts. And I hope all the guys from Remerio Company die in painful manners. Like Horo eating them. Or a house falling on them. Or whatever.

10/10

(The end is NIGH! Nooooooooooooooo.... T_T )
Old 2008-03-25, 13:31   Link #150
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Honestly, this episode was exactly the same as all the rest of the Spice and Wolf episodes. Very one dimensional characters in a one dimensional plot. And I still have absolutely no idea what's going on with all of this complex logic and reasoning and backstabbing and all...

This show really isn't for me, and probably never will be. It's too complex of a show, and is really nothing of my expectations. I was hoping for a sad adventure story, and I got Death Note compressed into 13 episodes.

I recognize the show isn't for many people... but I have to bite here: how is the show "too complex"?? yet has "1-d characters in a 1-d plot" with "complex logic and reasoning and backstabbing"?

Those are fundamentally contradictory assessments.

The plot *is* terribly compressed and hinges on some difficult economic concepts in the chess game of trading. But it also hinges on the relationship of Horo and Lawrence which I characterize as one of the more mature, subtly funny, and well-paced romances I've seen in anime.

Scrounging around I find a few good romances but they're mostly either highly comedic or simpler teenage emo/angst epics ... or sometimes both (Lovely Complex, REC, Honey&Clover, etc). This is one of the few where I feel like I'm listening to two *adults* slowly and steadily becoming enamored with each other.

There is a glimmer of "sad adventure story" ... but its in the long view of what will happen to the companionship of these two as they approach the north woods that Horo calls "home".

It may be that you just haven't had fun watching because you have trouble following the economic "battles" and that overwhelms the other plot elements for you. That's perfectly legitimate - especially when they're dancing through some of the exposition of the scheme so fast. If they'd had twice the episodes there may have been time for some humorous visual graphs or depictions of the scheme.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-25 at 18:37.
Old 2008-03-25, 18:07   Link #151
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
There is a glimmer of "sad adventure story" ... but its in the long view of what will happen to the companionship of these two as they approach the north woods that Horo calls "home".
Horo will eat Lawrence's brain so as to remember him forever.

OK, probably not, but the idea just struck me as I read your post.
Old 2008-03-25, 21:00   Link #152
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post

Honestly surprising. How you can argue for Kazumi fairly well in Shana yet come up with something here that feels pretty ridiculous.

Death Note in 13 episodes? What ?Don't think its the shows fault that it didn't follow your expectations. That's not really its job. Supposed to tell its story and it's done that. Only got part way into Death Note before it wasn't my thing, but honestly can't even begin to wrap my head around how you came up with that.

It's one dimensional yet too confusing for you?
Old 2008-03-25, 22:28   Link #153
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Honestly surprising. How you can argue for Kazumi fairly well in Shana yet come up with something here that feels pretty ridiculous.

Death Note in 13 episodes? What ?Don't think its the shows fault that it didn't follow your expectations. That's not really its job. Supposed to tell its story and it's done that. Only got part way into Death Note before it wasn't my thing, but honestly can't even begin to wrap my head around how you came up with that.

It's one dimensional yet too confusing for you?
Basically, I find that the character's themselves only seem to show one realy side to them... The characters don't seem to be too complex to me at all. I mean, they conform to the stereotypes of "Just as planned" male, "Tsundere" female, and "Innocent" shepard girl. I guess stereotypical was the word I was looking for? Sorry if I used the wrong one, I really didn't intend on making a statement with this.

The economic negotiations and chess match are what is complex to me. It's really hard for me to follow it at all. It's just the type of a mind I have, I guess. Like, I still have no idea what that red hair girl was about it arc 1...

I'm thinking "Death Note in 13" because both involved complex reasoning and all. This just seems a little condensed for all this reasoning. It's probably because my mind can't keep up with it.
Old 2008-03-25, 22:44   Link #154
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah I see.... yeah, I think the series would have been helped with some visual graphic moments with chibi figures and arrows and stuff (I'm trying to remember which series I've seen that used the technique to visually convey complicated plans). But as said.... the series really needed 22+ episodes to handle the material properly.

I don't necessarily agree with the categorizations of the main male and two females but they do have some attributes of the archetypes mentioned.
Old 2008-03-25, 22:49   Link #155
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Ah I see.... yeah, I think the series would have been helped with some visual graphic moments with chibi figures and arrows and stuff (I'm trying to remember which series I've seen that used the technique to visually convey complicated plans). But as said.... the series really needed 22+ episodes to handle the material properly.

I don't necessarily agree with the categorizations of the main male and two females but they do have some attributes of the archetypes mentioned.
I'm sure there's probably more to their characters... It just all gets lost to me in the "What the heck is going on?" phase throughout all the episodes.

For complicated plans, I'm again thinking death note. They had that amazing system of continually showing character's thoughts and reasonings. I mean, they had to have at least 2 or 3 hours inside a character's thoughts showing just what was going on. If they had that, maybe I'd understand it. Then again, I'm not a big fan of economics, so maybe not.
Old 2008-03-29, 12:12   Link #156
w00tness
zetsuboushita...

wacthed this ep and all I have to say is... man... Lawrence isnt very impressive at all. Cant do anything right, just talks a lot D:

Oh well.
Old 2011-05-06, 11:20   Link #157
Progbuusters

Its kinda weird they don't explain in the anime the wolf god dispute in the forest nor the girl chat on the field poking fun at Lawrence. Is it in the manga or novel? I don't think its in the novel or i missed it...
Closed Thread