AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Old 2007-07-31, 23:17   Link #21
chrno_the_sinner

I was talking to Vic this weekend at a con, and he said he really likes working on this show. He's also walked in on some of Monica's sessions and said that she's doing REALLY good in the later scenes.

And the box for AIR is Gorgeous.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 23:31   Link #22
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ nekokaburi

For future reference -

Yukito Kunisaki - 'that silver haired dude'
Misuzu Kamio - 'the agow girl' - incidentally, it's gao
Haruko Kamio - 'the agow girl's mum'.
Michiru - the little girl referenced at the end as comic relief.

It will be interesting to see people's impressions after, oh, say... five more episodes, as to their impressions of initial characters such as Michiru.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-08-02, 04:12   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Eyeah..... I was trying to figure out the "comic relief" part, then it was ... oh.
Old 2007-08-02, 10:47   Link #24
FireChick

Episode 2 of Air is on Anime Network. I saw it this morning and it was good! I didn't mind Nayuki, Ayu or Makoto's voices at all. Although my voice suggestion for Nayuki came true, her voice should be a little higher. Maybe like Misaki from Angelic Layer. Oh! I'm not trying to be mean or anything to you all. I like their english voices. True, their japanese voices are great, but sometimes teenagers need some teenage-like voices instead of childish, squeaky ones. I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that. Besides, Makoto and Ayu didn't sound too bad to me.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 20:23   Link #25
Shana

The DVD 1 is out? well, if it is I want it. Newtype USA always have a Free DVD, this month was of AIR and other two don't have anything to do in this forum

Yukito and Misuzu's voices were great, but Minagi's voice ...

But well, its better than other dubs...
Old 2007-08-04, 05:46   Link #26
nekokaburi

@ everyone's "ZOMG! U R AN AIR-N00B" aimed at me...

oh come on... this thread is about the dub... not the show itself... i already said i haven't seen it... only the first episode which just happened to be a workable sample of the dub... i was giving my initial impressions...

you all don't need to jump on me on how i miss spelled "gao" or what ever... or how i don't know the names of the characters yet... or how i don't know what which ever character does what by the end of the series...

i haven't reached "arch-fanboy status" on this show yet... so wait till i catch up with the rest of you before you correct me to death huh...

EDIT: the only impression of Michiru (see, i'm learning) from all of the '65 seconds' and like '4 lines' she has in episode one is that out of all the characters who were in this episode, her english voice seemed to clash the most with her character... in that, her voice sounded odd coming from a little girl, compare dub to sub, you'll probably agree..., also she didn't sound "cute, sweet and/or innocent" like the rest of the girls in the episode... she sounded bratty and annoying... and seeing as she cops two thwacks in the head from Yukito, something quite out of character for where this show seems to be heading... says to me, she's there to add to the humour a little... if they develop her character later on, which, by the sounds of the 'public outcry' they do... that'd be great... but there aint a whole lot of that in episode 1...

Last edited by nekokaburi; 2007-08-04 at 05:57. Reason: i forgot something... :D
nekokaburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 13:06   Link #27
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I was laughing at what you said, not you yourself. If that makes any sense.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 22:26   Link #28
nekokaburi

lol, it's all good... i wasn't too fussed... just bewildered...
nekokaburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 02:04   Link #29
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
but sometimes teenagers need some teenage-like voices instead of childish, squeaky ones. I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that. Besides, Makoto and Ayu didn't sound too bad to me.
Agreed. I prefer the English dub to Japanese at this point for that reason. (I've seen the whole series in Japanese.) Yukito is OK both in Japanese and English, but I found some of the females to be more likable with their dub voices. Japanese Misuzu sounds like she's trying harder to get that cutesy moe voice down rather than act, and while the English voice suffers from a similar attempt at cute, I find the English VA more believable.

I was wondering how they would handle the Kanon ladies, because it seems like a Kanon license would hinge on Air's success, but for people who didn't like the voices, I wouldn't worry too much.

What's interesting to me is that this series airs on Anime Network VOD as a Girl Power (shoujo?) title.
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-06, 17:39   Link #30
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by harukamae View Post
Agreed. I prefer the English dub to Japanese at this point for that reason. (I've seen the whole series in Japanese.) Yukito is OK both in Japanese and English, but I found some of the females to be more likable with their dub voices. Japanese Misuzu sounds like she's trying harder to get that cutesy moe voice down rather than act, and while the English voice suffers from a similar attempt at cute, I find the English VA more believable.

I was wondering how they would handle the Kanon ladies, because it seems like a Kanon license would hinge on Air's success, but for people who didn't like the voices, I wouldn't worry too much.

What's interesting to me is that this series airs on Anime Network VOD as a Girl Power (shoujo?) title.
Get rid of the notion that it is aimed towards guys (Japanese male otaku specifically), and it might actually appeal to some casual female anime fans. Well, that's what I think.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-06, 21:37   Link #31
Flare_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harukamae View Post
really? I find the dub to be more of poor imatation of the voice acting set in the japanese version. Not only that, the characters ARE japanese, and a good amount of japanese girls I know are squeaky. (American born, and girls in japan.)
I think I said it before, bur I'd prefer if the dubbed version should just allow the VAs to pick how thye feel their character should sound. This would make the VA much better, as well as much more original to the dubbed version.

I just didn't really feel an "innocent" tone off of the dubbed version for Misuzu. It seemed, from the way the dubber sounded, she was just a normal girl with no friends. The way I think the Voice actor should sound it childish to a certain extent, to follow with Misuzu's actions, but thats just me.

Over all, I didn't really mind the dubbing much. (Of course, I'm still not gonna watch Air dubbed >.>) I just hate the "Miss Uzu" pronunciation... Be nice if they actaully allowed voice actors to watch the damn show their gonna dub first >.>
Vic as Yukito was pretty alright, he gave off the impression of a wanderer who cared for less, but reveled at times thats not his only face. (I did feel he seemed depressed over rash during the dub.)
Haruko fits ok. Young 20~30 person's voice worked well in the sake scenes, but it was pretty bad when she was serious.
Kano... fits in the Haruko category. Her voice actress seemed to lose her hold on her voice at certain points.
Minagi was ok, I just seemed to think it was a poor imitation. I felt Michiru was kinda wrong... You'd give a "younger" character a high pitched voice. Michiru seemed alot older.

(Damn, this a long ass post o.o;;; sorry)
Flare_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 05:09   Link #32
crazyhorse
Procrastinator

I've been wanting to watch this series since I heard that it is pretty depressing (I'm in the mood for some depressing anime) and when I found out they had started showing a few episodes on On Demand, I checked it out immediately. I watched the two episodes they had and well from what I've heard, it's not a bad dub at all. Of course this is coming from someone who hasn't watched the original Japanese voices so I can't compare which one is better.

The acting is good, there weren't many flat lines from what I've heard so far and the voices seem to match the characters although Misuzu's voice is kinda too high at times, but that's Monica Rial's voice for ya. I'm loving Vic Mignogna's performance. He is using a slightly different voice than usual; it's a little deeper, but I couldn't even recognize his voice until I saw it in the credits. Then I proceeded to slap myself for not knowing it was him since it was so familiar to me . I also like Luci Christian's performance. She always does do good drunk scenes but I also felt she hit the serious parts right too. Kano's voice actress was also good, but there were times where she sounded awkward, especially in episode 1. As for everyone else, I thought they were good and they were certainly listenable, but so far I don't think I have heard enough to judge their acting yet.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the dub and I'll continue following the dub. If ADV keeps this up, I think that consumers will continue buying it anyway since I think most of them are like me and have just started watching Air TV on a clean slate.
Old 2007-08-07, 20:44   Link #33
Kenn
Stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare_Dragon
really? I find the dub to be more of poor imatation of the voice acting set in the japanese version. Not only that, the characters ARE japanese, and a good amount of japanese girls I know are squeaky. (American born, and girls in japan.)
I think I said it before, bur I'd prefer if the dubbed version should just allow the VAs to pick how thye feel their character should sound. This would make the VA much better, as well as much more original to the dubbed version.

I just didn't really feel an "innocent" tone off of the dubbed version for Misuzu. It seemed, from the way the dubber sounded, she was just a normal girl with no friends. The way I think the Voice actor should sound it childish to a certain extent, to follow with Misuzu's actions, but thats just me.

Over all, I didn't really mind the dubbing much. (Of course, I'm still not gonna watch Air dubbed >.>) I just hate the "Miss Uzu" pronunciation... Be nice if they actaully allowed voice actors to watch the damn show their gonna dub first >.>
Vic as Yukito was pretty alright, he gave off the impression of a wanderer who cared for less, but reveled at times thats not his only face. (I did feel he seemed depressed over rash during the dub.)
Haruko fits ok. Young 20~30 person's voice worked well in the sake scenes, but it was pretty bad when she was serious.
Kano... fits in the Haruko category. Her voice actress seemed to lose her hold on her voice at certain points.
Minagi was ok, I just seemed to think it was a poor imitation. I felt Michiru was kinda wrong... You'd give a "younger" character a high pitched voice. Michiru seemed alot older.

(Damn, this a long ass post o.o;;; sorry)
Kano and Minagi definitely had a lower voice than I would've thought would be suitable for the age of the actual character. Minagi actually sounded like a slightly less Yuki-like Nagato o_o" Michiru had a very odd sounding voice though. Still kept the not-so-girl feel on it, but it sounded a bit raspy to me.
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 17:04   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Dub-hater review:
Just browsed volume 1 ... I have to say the dub *does not* massively suck.

At least for the characters I've reviewed so far, they're actually not bad. Misuzu starts off a bit fluttery but she improves a bit .... her VA actually gives me the most trouble of any of them because that affected voice just doesn't sound very authentic.... more like someone reading a story and doing a voice for the dialog than someone actually in the scene. Her pitch and tone just don't work for me much of the time. That said, she does settle in as the episodes progress a bit. To me it is one of her better efforts.

Haruko's VA is actually pretty good at it. Yukito's VA has a bit of trouble with the rants but mutters and normal speaking voice are fine.

And I'm not normally a fan of localization but what I've heard so far is pleasing... when Misuzu referred to the puppet as that "thingie" that was a winning moment for me.

Granted, the story is thoroughly japanese and it loses some of the atmosphere and intent in english --- but so far I'd rule this as a win for people who have trouble reading subtitles (astigmatism, motion nausea, etc).
Old 2007-08-09, 04:35   Link #35
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Get rid of the notion that it is aimed towards guys (Japanese male otaku specifically), and it might actually appeal to some casual female anime fans. Well, that's what I think.
Yeah, I agree it's better for people to go into Air without preconceived notions on how it's gonna be based on where it came from. And I kinda regret that the whole moe/eroge business got thrust upon me halfway through watching it.

On the topic of the Kanon VA cameo, ADV has released a Kanon trailer. ANN is saying the VAs for the Air cameo were cast on purpose so...sorry for the folks who didn't like the voices they heard in that short time.
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 15:46   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some things are just meant to be watched or heard in the original Klingon ......
Old 2007-08-15, 03:16   Link #37
chrno_the_sinner

As for the Kanon voices, each person got only ONE OR TWO lines, so once Kanon gets dubbed, the actors will be given more to go on than ONE line. They'll be able to actually know the characters.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 18:26   Link #38
Wuya

I am glad it is turning out tolerable.
I am hoping to get it all in one big package after all volumes are released...
hate waiting for the others to come out

xD

btw. chrno
that anime con you went to where you got to spoke to vic, which anime con was it and where?
Wuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 23:51   Link #39
Minoto

My copy arrived today -- I watched the subbed versions of all four episodes to see how they did, and was fairly impressed. Most of the bits that seemed awkward to me in the fansubs were handled nicely, and there were only a few choices of words or phrasing that seemed strange to me, so I definitely give them a thumbs-up.

Then I repeated the experiment with the dubbed versions -- my ears were bleeding for the first five minutes or so, but once I got used to the different voices, they really weren't bad. I think Yukito's street-punk accent is a bit much, but from what I remember of the partial translation of the game text that I read a while back, he was a much more cynical and sarcastic character to begin with, so I suppose it's really not all that inappropriate. Misuzu sounds rather forced / affected, but she does get better as time goes on. Haruko seems quite appropriate, and I thought Kano was good too...maybe just a little old for the character, but I find that I'm more tolerant of that than I am of a voice actor / actress trying to force it: a more casual, normal-sounding older voice just works better for me than a fake younger voice (Michiru, I'm looking at you.)

Interestingly, the Kanon girls didn't bother me that much, for that same reason...they may not have been spot-on for those characters, but at least they didn't give me that "group of adults sitting around a table doing a DRAMATIC reading" feel either.

I do have some nits to pick with the pronunciation of names (Missuzu? Huhrooko? Come on!) and the lack of nihaha's and V's, but in the end, I thought the dubs did a very creditable job of conveying the heart of the story so far, even if they don't have quite the same atmosphere as the subs. So -- I'm glad that I bought it, even if this is the third time, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and to the new fans that it should bring.
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-16, 01:07   Link #40
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

im surprised that we sold this at frys on tuesday, for only $22.99 base price too...actually got my hands on it...after the first 2 episodes i actually liked haruka's and kano's VA...didnt like yukito's VA, but the rest are "i have no complaints about"...overall i liked the 1st 2 episodes
NibelungTaisa is offline   Reply With Quote