AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-11-25, 15:37   Link #21
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The other option, of course, is to do a complete AU, in which case all bets are off.
a slight recon to open the door for a possible Rein I return
Old 2010-11-27, 12:27   Link #22
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Well, if the first movie is anything to go by, we can expect a lot more backstory on the Knights, just like Fate and Precia had. I approve; we barely got to see their history, and I think it lessened their characters for it. I'd also agree that the amount of Fate coverage in Movie 1st may get rid of the lotus eater in A's. (Particularly in that Alicia already pulled the "I wish I had a sister" bit at the end.) Like everyone here, I'd want a better end boss, but I think the materials are a bit of a stretch. I like them, too, but they weren't even mentioned in the anime... I wouldn't get my hopes up. Considering how closely the first movie stuck to the source material, I don't think they're going to get crazy now.

Basically, I'm expecting this movie to feature way more time with Hayate and the Knights, and cut back on Nanoha and Fate's everyday life at school.
Old 2010-11-27, 12:35   Link #23
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I just wonder how you pull off backstory for knights who have lived through dozens upon dozens of generations. Hayate backstory shouldn't be a problem, though. Fate's backstory was soundstage content, have the knights ever had any backstory in one of those? Otherwise, the movies going to be creating it from scratch if they decide to do it.

Massive time constraint to pull that off in any case. I'll just hope for a 3 hr movie this time. :3
Old 2010-11-27, 13:22   Link #24
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Massive time constraint to pull that off in any case. I'll just hope for a 3 hr movie this time. :3
A 3-hour? Yeah, that isn't going to happen. (I'm worried they might make the same mistake UBW did, where everything was rushed with barely any plot.)
Old 2010-11-28, 08:46   Link #25
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
(I'm worried they might make the same mistake UBW did, where everything was rushed with barely any plot.)
It is possible to make it descent enough if they just focus on the core events of A's while tossing in back story in between...

- Activation of the Book of Darkness

- The Knights discover the Book is killing their master

(cue back stories)

- The Knights go on a linker core hunt only to meet Nanoha and Co. for the first time

(cue a little more back story)

- Nanoha and Co. gets the tar beat out of them and upgrade after and enters the ring for a rematch

(cue a bit more back story possibly for Chrono)

- Final showdown with the Book receiving a massive beat down...

I'm sure they're going to make an A's movie manga as well to fill in a few holes like they did with Nanoha the 1st Movie.
Old 2010-11-28, 19:52   Link #26
wb121

I can't imagine an even bigger Starlight Breaker...
wb121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 20:48   Link #27
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I think they screwed themselves in the first movie as far as STB is concerned. It simply can't get any bigger. The best Reinforce can hope to do it match it.
Old 2010-11-28, 23:52   Link #28
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I just wonder how you pull off backstory for knights who have lived through dozens upon dozens of generations. Hayate backstory shouldn't be a problem, though. Fate's backstory was soundstage content, have the knights ever had any backstory in one of those? Otherwise, the movies going to be creating it from scratch if they decide to do it.

Could be possible that in terms of backstory with the knights, instead of actually looking at their origins and past lives, we see more of them bonding with Hayate, living with her, and generally helping her around the house, showing the ways in which she was truly different from their past masters and expanding on it. The real emotional "oomph" of A's came from the bond the Wolkies had with Hayate; if that isn't given proper development in the movie, it'll fall flat. I'd dare say if anything, the second movie should be more about Hayate and the Wolkies than Nanoha and Fate this time around.
Old 2010-11-29, 01:12   Link #29
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I'd still kill even for like a ten second sequence of stills of the knights on different worlds wearing different armor styles.
Old 2010-11-29, 01:15   Link #30
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
I bet they'll still find a way to shaft Hayate ;-;
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 01:19   Link #31
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The difference with Wolkies is that they don't really have an 'origin' story to call of. At least none that they could remember. Their backstory is pretty much their never-ending cycle of manipulation, murder, and tragedy, resetting the memories of their 'deaths' over and over.

Part of the issue is due to the fact that the 'Precia' of the Wolkenritter is divided into probably dozens, or hundreds of countless 'former Master of the Tome' that were assholes, power-hungry and treated the Wolkies as tools.

Of course, it could be expanded, but unless they want to throw in hints of whatever lives Wolkenritter had before their earliest memories ( were they once humans? were they once servants of any Belkan King before they got digitalised? Or were they digitalised to begin with? Did their first Master ( before the corruption and memory reset problems ) treat them well? Were they blank slate programs who discovered personality over centuries? ), there's really not much that can be added beyond what the A's series already did, like the scene where their rooms were pretty much empty dungeons, they wore the same clothes day-in day-out, and had nothing beyond collecting Linker Cores.

Adding more 'Hayate family' scenes is also not exactly that great of an idea. There was almost an entire episode dedicated to that in A's already, as in almost 20 whole minutes + 'many small moments around the 8 episodes before shit went crazy.'

I guess one alternative is to give 'Reinforce' more presence early on, and establish her tragic existence in the Wolkie flashbacks, thus making her final death all the more... bittersweet.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 01:59   Link #32
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Given how much I liked the 1st movie, I have high hopes for this adaptation. That's saying a lot because while I've been around the block with the genre more times than I am willing to admit, this is probably my favorite single season in any magical girls how ever, if not my favorite magical girl show of all (StrikerS makes me need to question this over and over again). Emotionally charged, engaging with fantastic fights. What more do I need.

In a way for me the movie has much more to lose and less to gain. The season was stellar as it was and from there it would be too easy to screw it up. Then again with their work on 1st, I have faith in them.

As for A's itself yes, I would want a wee bit more background on the Wolkenritter. Vita has lamented in the series a lot of times just how much Hayate is different from their previous masters, showing that they do have memories of their previous incarnations, and the contrast would be more personal and heartfelt if we get to see just how they were with their previous masters.

@Nightengale

I doubt we'd get more Reinforce early on since I don't think she really existed as a distinct "entity" before Hayate had her BSOD, unlike the Wolkenritter. If she were she'd have been a distinctly formed "person" even before Hayate, with the book's previous masters, but in the series she felt like a someone who was created based on Hayate's own personality rather than preceding her. They COULD retcon that, but you'd have to modify the parts of the story, not to mention make changes to Rein should we get a StrikerS movie.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 02:15   Link #33
Arkeus

The obvious answer would be to give more scenes to Graham and Aria/Lotte, possibly even lindy.

Still, they aren't moe (except possibly lindy) so it probably won't happen.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 02:24   Link #34
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Personally, I feel for when it comes to development and backstory, it'd be better to give some scenes dedicated to Reinforce via Wolkenritter flashbacks, to build up her finale, and some scenes dedicated to Clyde and Chrono's family, via flashbacks from Graham and the Lieze twins, to help distinguish why Graham would go to such lengths to bring an end to the threat posed by the Book of Darkness.

Now, three guesses as to which backstory has more chances of being shown, and the first two don't count.
Old 2010-11-29, 02:39   Link #35
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I doubt we'd get more Reinforce early on since I don't think she really existed as a distinct "entity" before Hayate had her BSOD, unlike the Wolkenritter. If she were she'd have been a distinctly formed "person" even before Hayate, with the book's previous masters, but in the series she felt like a someone who was created based on Hayate's own personality rather than preceding her. They COULD retcon that, but you'd have to modify the parts of the story, not to mention make changes to Rein should we get a StrikerS movie.
Just putting in the sound stage scene ('whether gods or devils') would be plenty and wouldn't require any more retcon than the Sound Stage already did.
Old 2010-11-29, 14:56   Link #36
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Personally, I feel for when it comes to development and backstory, it'd be better to give some scenes dedicated to Reinforce via Wolkenritter flashbacks, to build up her finale
Agreed, as unveliebavle awesome as she is, Reinferce get very little developement in A's, all of her character was build after she shows her true form. So, mixing her on the flashbacks(even as a misterious shadowy figure) probably can be a good method to start introducing her personality and character to the viewers before the amazing reveal xD.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 17:26   Link #37
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
IMO, the entirety of the last fight kinda dragged (starting from Hayate going nuts til the final defeat of the security system), and it was utterly long. I'd also think Fate's dream will be redundant since 1st movie covered all her background fine.

I'd probably want them to show more about the last time the book was sealed away; would be cool. This would mean having to cut down on the mid series fights, which I could live with.

But for the most part, I'd really prefer the same characters and background, but a different story; make it a "rebuild" for Nanoha. It's never gonna replace A's anyways with the time constraint; the best it can do is to try is to offer what A's lacked in; Nanoha development and more worldbuilding related things.

Also, there are characters that don't do much that need a bigger role or more background; aka Yuno (The show hates him) and Chrono (he never does anything)

Of all honesty, if it's just a straight remake, I would be very skeptical.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-11-29 at 17:38.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 07:44   Link #38
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
A 3-hour? Yeah, that isn't going to happen. (I'm worried they might make the same mistake UBW did, where everything was rushed with barely any plot.)
The first movie had a pretty good 2 hour plot and at least for me, it doesn't feel that rushed However for A's--- I know that A's had the same amount of episode like the first season, but A's had more battle scene, in which I think that it will do no good to cut many of it. . . So I don't think that it's enough for me if it only has 2 hour duration for the next movie

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 12:53   Link #39
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

With as much money as it made in theaters and in dvd and bluray sales (#1 on both dvd and bluray sales by a very large margin) I think they'll make the A's movie longer. 2hrs just isn't going to cut it, so I'm thinking 2hr 30minutes as a bare minimum, which may expand to 3hrs.
Old 2010-12-02, 21:42   Link #40
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
I think a 2 hour 30 minute duration is reasonable, but there's a limit to how long people are willing to sit in a theater, I would think. Of course, with the pause button on my computer I could care less about how long it would be ^^;;
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote