Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well found out why Danichirou is so creepy
Old 2012-06-09, 22:54   Link #742
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post

I take it, therefore, that various regions of Japan have very liberal views on the age of consent, if not about sex in general. Is there no pedophile problem in Japan?

Apparently they are not young (or young looking) enough to suit his tastes.
Japan pretty much adopted the western custom. Still, the definition of pedophile problem is not "problem" in certain countries. Supposedly, a 12 years Virgin was married and gave birth in that region.

My impression is different from yours.
He's from high class, and he goes to graduate school. He' smarter than that. It's more like he's disgust that other people are after his money and social status. They act cute around him, but he hates it. If he wants young girls, he is more to get the cargo of them. Aria gets his attention, because she knows what is his preference. He still feels lonely when Aria is around him. Rea's mother doesn't treat him like other people. Maybe he wants someone sincere.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 23:03   Link #743
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

My response on the Random Curiosity Blog of the episode:

Based only on this episode, it makes it trickier to decide to hate/be really creeped out by or pity Dan’ichirou and Aria. It was easier to dislike the two of them when all we saw was the surface and their actions in plain sight, but now that we get a full explanation, like many situations, it makes it not so black and white like it used to be.

I guess, with his first wife, Dan’ichirou also found someone, if you recall her words to him, who seemed to truly understand him (however he is). All the maids, including Aria from the looks of it, were only really there and wanting to marry him due to social standing and tradition (all the maids being from strong, wealthy upbringings, not merely middle/lower-class girls working there), and didn’t really even try to get to know him or understand him (just blindly working and obeying, thinking that was all it took to get his attention), yet that girl’s words completely resonated with him. I doubt it was really pedophilia or anything given that it wasn’t like he saw her before the tournament even began and was creepily staring at her the whole time or anything. He didn’t even pay much mind to her when she came up to him to return his glove.

So while it doesn’t make what he’s doing to Rea (or Aria) any less weird or justifiable, I do feel that some people I’ve seen aren’t even really trying to see or understand the situation either and just WANT to see him as some sick pedophile bastard because it’s just easier that way…
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 23:08   Link #744
Midonin
Last Engage

I'll just leave this here. (The text of the picture is Hiroyo telling Rea "Alright, good work. Everything that happened to you was a delusion. Did you really think a human could become a zombie?")
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 00:11   Link #745
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Did we ever figure out what those three dots in vertical formation on dad's forehead mean?

Endless "It's getting itchy!" Soul
Old 2012-06-10, 01:40   Link #746
Salva
Princess since baptism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Did we ever figure out what those three dots in vertical formation on dad's forehead mean?

Now that you mention it... I really ignored it earlier. I saw characters so different visually that almost nothing interest me deeper (usually the appearance is just strange because it can) any more but at the same time I'm pretty oblivious to really obvious things. I wonder what do they mean.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:32   Link #747
ookamigirl

OVA 1

Rea being forced to make her annual photo.
A great example of her father's twisted love.
At the same time Furuya was "relaxing" on his family vacation.
Well, at least he found something unexpectedly useful for later on.
Interesting how Furuya and Rea met before without even knowing it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 11:51   Link #748
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Marriageable age with parental consent is 16 in Japan so they might have met when she was 15 and gotten maried later with the parents happy to see her marry into a wealthy family.

Consent age confuses me though, from what I understand it's 13 on a national level but local authorities can make local laws that override that and make it older so it seems it's between 13 and 18 depending on where you are in japan
As best as I can determine... none of the laws on this matter are enforced -unless someone complains-. If no one complains, then ... -eh-
Old 2012-06-10, 19:08   Link #749
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Based only on this episode, it makes it trickier to decide to hate/be really creeped out by or pity Dan’ichirou and Aria. It was easier to dislike the two of them when all we saw was the surface and their actions in plain sight, but now that we get a full explanation, like many situations, it makes it not so black and white like it used to be.
Never fear, OVA 1 takes care of this dilemma, no doubt about it.

Spoiler for a courtesy to those who can't be bothered to waste their time watching this OVA:
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 20:39   Link #750
NaweG
Just some guy

OK, surprised that no one has commented about:

Spoiler for OVA:
Old 2012-06-10, 20:49   Link #751
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Where I come from, a man (or a woman) caught, tried and convicted of sexually molesting a 15-year old (boy or girl) is branded a sex offender, and is placed on a public Sex Offender Registry for the rest of their life. Consensual or not, and not limited to sex acts themselves, but merely touching and groping would do. So, where I come from, Sanka Dad would definitely be considered a pedophile.
Even if it would be actual molesting (i.e. against her will), that life-long registry is a bit harsh.
If it was consensual, that's sheer insanity. Where the hell do you live? Somewhere in the Middle East? Or some especially puritan state in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I feel little sympathy for Aria since she obviously wanted to marry for money & prestige and she was prepared to devote several years of her life to attain that goal. She asks for love from her husband when she did not have any in the first place, everything was a part of a plan.
Same here. However, who knows? Perhaps she actually *did* fall for him, when she was nursing him back to health. It seems that took a long time, and doing that just for money... Also her comment that she stangely things (or probably just wishes) that there was some love involved in his side hints at some love love being involved on her side. Why else would she wish such a thing?

Then again, the greed of some people is just plain limitless.
Anyway, for whatever reason she did marry him, she shot herself in the foot really bad. She doesn't get any attention at all, much less sex, and gets ever more desperate. She can only bear things when being drunk, probably already a heavy drinker. Most likely she's a heavy drinker for some time already, so she'll soon have liver cirrhosis (tasty picture inside ) or stuff like that. While she's not that fresh anymore and already has somewhat burned skin, it's still a waste... but I guess she doesn't care if she's wrecking herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyriaL View Post
It's a wonder Aria managed to survive for that long without the comfort of the husband. At least she does have other comforters right?
I seriously doubt she has other comforters. if she had, she probably wouldn't be such a heavy drinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyriaL View Post
But Rea's dad has to be pretty single-minded to ignore the many worthy and pretty girls around him.
Perhaps he was gay at first, and only that one girl made him considering trying a girl for a change.
Or perhaps it all just looked too arranged to him, but then it's still very strange that he treated *every* girl like air, not even giving them a single glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

Good question. Perhaps he was attacked by an angry maid with a fork, because he was always ignoring her? XD
Old 2012-06-10, 21:23   Link #752
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Even if it would be actual molesting (i.e. against her will), that life-long registry is a bit harsh.
If it was consensual, that's sheer insanity. Where the hell do you live? Somewhere in the Middle East? Or some especially puritan state in the US?
The original Puritan State in the US, Massachusetts.

Spoiler for very short off topic discussion about sex offender laws in the US:
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 21:40   Link #753
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

The ova makes it look even clearer that the mom was a zombie. Though the way she finally died seems to be pretty bad. Also even more reason Rea's father has to be killed.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:11   Link #754
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Once again, we're back to Rea and Chihiro's story after Mero's break last episode. Rea is the spitting image of her mother, that helps explain her father Danichirou's total obsession with her, considering how devastated he was after the death of the only woman he ever considered his wife. It's his own perverse way of coping with the loss of someone who can never be replaced.

Unfortunately for Aria, that meant she can never become the replacement for Rea's real mother. Danichirou, courtesy of his unyielding attitude, developed a fixation for his wife that could not be erased by her death.

Rea fully inherited her mother's looks, while the only thing she got from her father was part of his unyielding iron will, manifesting as her stubborn, subtly rebellious side.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:05   Link #755
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

UEFA hiatus this week?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 01:46   Link #756
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
UEFA hiatus this week?
That seems to be the case. Apparently, the Japanese want to watch European soccer. Or at the very least, TBS wants to show it, thus moving this show and Acchi Kocchi forward by a week.
Old 2012-06-13, 11:42   Link #757
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
That seems to be the case. Apparently, the Japanese want to watch European soccer. Or at the very least, TBS wants to show it, thus moving this show and Acchi Kocchi forward by a week.
ARGHHHH, I hate when that happened when I was little and now it happens again, I hate soccer >_<
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 12:02   Link #758
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
ARGHHHH, I hate when that happened when I was little and now it happens again, I hate soccer >_<
Australia versed Japan in a world cup qualifier the other day as well. That would have dominated the airwaves over there.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:05   Link #759
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
That would really suck, if some stinking soccer crap would be the reason for it.
The official page however doesn't mention soccer:
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/sankarea/news/index-j.html

It says that the VAs of Rea (Uchida Maaya), Ranko (Yahagi Sayuri) and Mero (Iguchi Yuka) will have a play in which Rea and Ranko fight for Chihiro. The play will be transmitted live on Tbs.
Old 2012-06-13, 17:23   Link #760
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
It says that the VAs of Rea (Uchida Maaya), Ranko (Yahagi Sayuri) and Mero (Iguchi Yuka) will have a play in which Rea and Ranko fight for Chihiro. The play will be transmitted live on Tbs.
Will it include some Ranko boob groping by Rea? : )~~~
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural, zombie moe, zombies