AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-19, 23:29   Link #121
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Gosh, my favorite character, Ophelia would have been perfect if she was given a higher voice. Her voice in the english dub was so emotionless which doesnt fit her character. Sure she's very sadistic and unsympathetic, but the english dub voice was like "lazy" somehow. A much more sinister but more feminine voice would have been better.
Old 2009-03-21, 13:50   Link #122
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I've been watching the Claymore DVD (recently got 2-4 in one shipment), and noticed something I never noticed in the anime.

Teresa's first... rather unsuccessful... execution squad, had a girl in it that looked a little like a younger Galatea-sama. Someone even pointed this out in one of the other threads (Q & A I think). I naturally checked the manga, and found that it wasn't Galatea-sama based on the different mark and left it at that.

However, watching the anime version, I'm almost sure that it WAS Galatea-sama in the anime version. After the hunting party is struck down by Teresa, there is a shot of the character in question dropping her sword and lurching forward. The mark on the sword is very similar to Galatea-sama's (where's the Blu-ray version of Claymore so I make sure?!?).

I'd be so cool if Teresa and Galatea-sama had met before - however briefly.
Actually, that could be Deneve's symbol

http://hiphotos.baidu.com/zjundns/pi...f6a63e56e.jpeg

http://hiphotos.baidu.com/zjundns/pi...4b901a058.jpeg
Old 2009-03-21, 15:16   Link #123
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJB View Post
Deneve's is similar to Clare's but upside down (so unless I'm looking at it upside down...). More importantly, if you look closely at the symbol on the sword, it does seem to have little horizontal sections at the end of the forked arms.
(your links seem broken - btw)
Old 2009-03-21, 15:19   Link #124
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Deneve's is similar to Clare's but upside down (so unless I'm looking at it upside down...). More importantly, if you look closely at the symbol on the sword, it does seem to have little horizontal sections at the end of the forked arms.
(your links seem broken - btw)
Indeed but Galatea's symbol points to the tip of the blade while Deneve points to the hilt, the place where you hold the blade.

That blade that appears in the Teresa arc has the symbol poiting to the hilt so it couldn't be Galatea's

Last edited by MisterJB; 2009-03-21 at 15:35.
Old 2009-03-22, 04:12   Link #125
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Well, Deneve does not have the small horizontal bits - so it's not her's. You're right - the symbol is upside down if it were to be Galatea's. Guess it's not her.

In other news - just watched half of DVD 4... I think I really shouldn't have (...but I have a duty to hear every one of Galatea-sama and check for quality...). I like the Witches Maw arc too much. The voice acting for Riful and Duff is poor. Duff sounds like a caricature of stupid more than the real mckoy. Riful on the other hand seems a little out of character - too easily excited or something - instead of the sweet but deadly little girl persona I like.

Similarly, they took a few too many liberties with the lines. Galatea's famous "I envy a brain with such a health metabolism" lines were cut because the dub had Duff actually remembering his promise to strip her naked, rip off her arms and legs, etc - instead of the "huh?, what?" reaction. They had Jean swearing at Riful using expletives ("f-you / go to hell", etc). I found those lines worked, so I don't mind too much in those cases, but still... Why rewrite the lines to only generally approximate the orginal, when closer to the original is possible? Many other lines changed subtly/drastically in meaning too.

On the plus side, what I've heard from Jean so far was pretty good in terms of voice acting (was not too much yet). The voice actress for Galatea-sama does a pretty good job - I just wish the lines she was scripted with were closer to the original. Ah well.

The commentary said there was a stand in director for 4 halves of episodes, and I don't know if she wasn't a bit over her head, perhaps rubber stamping something ok when the line should have been re-written or re-done. With little lead time to direct, she also might not have been as familiar with the Claymore universe as would be ideal.

All in all, not bad I guess. Personally I'm a bit disappointed - but I don't know if it's mainly because it's my favorite arc of my favorite manga, or not. I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

The weirdest part is that being as familiar with the manga as I am, in certain sections I thought the anime was editted from the fansub version. It's not the case. Instead it seems the manga animated itself in my mind, so when, for example, Ophelia was finishing off Clare I thought it was cut since remember Clare trying a more tricks to actually beat Ophelia.
Old 2009-03-26, 15:56   Link #126
MisterJB
Warden of the West

please, don't delete the images its for the discussion

Found It. What do you think?

Old 2009-03-27, 00:54   Link #127
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Gosh, they took out Clare's "true despair" line

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Old 2009-03-27, 01:23   Link #128
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
I really don't understand why a modern day Anime would rewrite the context of what is being said. I haven't watched the 4th DVD yet, but you guys already know how strongly it got to me in this version. But honestly, who are they marketing the anime to? Don't these days the vast majority of Anime watchers frown on that?
Old 2009-04-05, 12:30   Link #129
KimmyChan

I can't wait for the release of Volume 1 & 2 of Claymore as a 2 disc DVD set over here in the UK finally in June - I've had it pre-ordered for ages now and am pretty excited
Old 2009-04-05, 16:29   Link #130
Claymorez
Banned

That image is from the extra chapter 2, 33 pages. i have it on my hdd.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:11   Link #131
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymorez View Post
That image is from the extra chapter 2, 33 pages. i have it on my hdd.
We know - but you mean it took you 2 weeks to Id Hilda?
Yeah, unless Hilda got a hair cut, it doesn't look like it was the one.
Old 2009-04-10, 23:02   Link #132
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Is it just me or does the english dub have an error. Helen introduced Deneve as number 19 when they first met Jean.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Old 2009-04-11, 01:13   Link #133
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
*an* error. I thought the doubt was erroneous.
Old 2009-04-20, 09:26   Link #134
KimmyChan

I've also pre-ordered Volumes 3 & 4 of Claymore on DVD aswell already, out over here in the UK on DVD as another 2 disc set in August...I'm totally sorted
Old 2009-07-07, 20:04   Link #135
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Just finished watching the English dub of Claymore volume 6... It comes with a 24 page art book... (it has only one image I haven't seen before (and some lame sketches) but I'm new here so that's not saying much... I've only looked at half of the image thread so far... Image shows Rubel in top left corner, Raki in lower left corner, Teresa hugging a crying Clare on the right side, and a Claymore with Clares reflection in it (I've seen that part in hundreds of Claymore images))

Bad news Rigardo's Lasts Words... "She's, Amazing!" Sadly, I'm not joking about that... However, once the next episode starts Isley says, rather coolly, "I guess your dead. Rigardo..." There are some other lines changes that occur... Like Clare apologizing to Helen for ordering Helen to kill her, instead of thanking her for it. Those where the two big changes I noticed on my first watch of it but there are others. I wasn't really looking for script changes, this time of watching it I was just enjoying it and not reviewing it too hard.

Also Rigardo's awakened voice radically changes tone two or three times... however it's pretty good beside those random moments. One minute he's a fierce Lion but next he's way more human in tone even with the layered sound effects. Clare has a very good awakened voice... minus the bad script. Ditto for Priscilla but we all already knew that one, minus her crazy talk (aka bad script, so not the voice actress fault).

Also, even though I knew it was coming because of the Japanese version, I didn't like how they had the ABs (Rigardo, Priscilla, and the awakening Clare) all speak normal in there heads... Unlike earlier AB in the show, who's thoughts had the sound effects instead of human voices.

Isley's voice, as anyone who watched dvd 5 knows, is too old for the role. However it does have it's moments, especially when he told Raki he'd meet him again (and when he was training him on disk 5).

So if you were planning on getting, it has clearly been shipped to stores. Since I found it on a stores shelves even though it doesn't go on sale until next week. So maybe you will luck out too. It feels good having a now full Claymore art box with all 6 dvds.

If anyone wants to know of other script chances just ask, or find it yourselves. However, I have no intention of uploading it any where, so don't ask.

Last edited by Ryus; 2009-07-07 at 21:14. Reason: sorry messed up Rigardos last words and didn't notice until I reread post
Old 2009-07-07, 20:14   Link #136
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I'd plead momentary insanity if I were you.
Old 2009-07-07, 20:16   Link #137
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
I'm about to be crucified but...

Why do I enjoy this change?
O_o!

You won't when you hear it... I felt little emphasis in it and it was done in Rigardo's weak human voice, not in his awakened voice.
Old 2009-07-07, 20:20   Link #138
MisterJB
Warden of the West

So, was there any change with Priscilla and Clare's figth? Did they say something or just mumbled "unforgivable" and "kill you"?
Old 2009-07-07, 20:21   Link #139
Ryus
The One Eyed King

So! That's why you've been deleting your posts MisterJB.

TOO BAD I QUOTED IT BEFORE YOU DELETED IT!
Old 2009-07-07, 20:22   Link #140
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
So, was there any change with Priscilla and Clare's figth? Did they say something or just mumbled "unforgivable" and "kill you"?
I... I don't recall them saying "unforgivable"...

Give me a few minutes...
Closed Thread