AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-07-11, 10:52   Link #1841
BanishingBook

@Westlo: I suppose you can then? Take someone as an example and prove your stance. And I will listen.

Liking Ranka's music is a personal preference of course and also due to Megumi. I don't understand what your standard of a good piece of music is Weslo, and it is here we are different.

@Yotchan: I agree.
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 10:53   Link #1842
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanishingBook View Post
But if it so, and if Ranka were to have a singing voice from the seiyuu industry, no one can do it better than Megumi.
I beg to differ on this one, I think there will be someone good enough to pull off a Ranka than Megumi. As for the assumption that no one can evoke Ranka as well as she did, well, there's no way anyone of us can prove or disprove that, as only Megumi was given the chance to be heard as Ranka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Irrelevant since Kanno would tailor the songs to suit whoever was casted as Ranka.
I don't think it's irrelevant. I think there are singers who could sing innocence into the songs she wrote for Macross F without sounding flat.
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 10:56   Link #1843
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
So many people here have excoriated Ranka. Then they excoriated the Ranka fans for liking Ranka. Then they excoriated Kawamori for liking Ranka. Now they're excoriating Megumi for voicing her. What's next? Risa Ebata, for designing her? Hiroyuki Yoshino, for writing her dialogue?

I know everyone has their likes and dislikes, but it can only go so far before it seems...unbalanced.
You know, I was going around 2ch, where there seem to be more staunch Ranka fans than in English forums, and look what I found. They diss May'n as much as they diss Megumi. Guys, this is actually quite overboard, don't you think? Many people hate Megumi for being cutesy, but do you guys generally bash the whole "cutesy" prevalence among Japanese artists? Or just Megumi, because she's associated with Ranka?
Old 2009-07-11, 10:59   Link #1844
justavisitor

@Yot-chan

That's why I think there is a difference between real life and internet...for example, a lot of ppl in here say the world hates Ranka, but yet, outside from internet, the company thinks Megumi needs Ranka's popularity and makes her to perform Ranka dance while singing that Seikon song XD

So, don't concern too much on those Ranka-Megumi-bashing comments...I am sure there are many ppl who like Ranka, Megumi, and Ranka dance as well
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 10:59   Link #1845
BanishingBook

@mike_s_6 - I don't diss on May'n, I hate that one link where they say she's ugly. OF COURSE NOT!
Old 2009-07-11, 11:02   Link #1846
Westlo
Lets be reality

It's not hating on Ranka to state that Megumi's range is limited, it's not hating on Ranka to say that Megumi's Angel Paints sucks. You know I really don't care if you think I'm biased but if I was why would DYRL from ep 24 be my favorite song of the series? Birdman Aimo (which is much better than the mediocre normal version.. oh wait its Ranka hate again right lol!) being in my top 5 as well...

Also Banishing Book you ask for me to think of someone else for Ranka, easy Maaya Sakamoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
I don't think it's irrelevant. I think there are singers who could sing innocence into the songs she wrote for Macross F without sounding flat.
Oh of course but you know what I mean, if someone else was casted to be Ranka's singing voice.. say Mizuki Nana (Garasu no Hana from WHITE ALBUM FTW) for instance... Kanno would tailor songs more to suit that person's strengths. Yeah we'll still get the Aoi no Ether (and thankfully Souda Yo sounds like a much better replacement song for that) but maybe we wouldn't get such drivel as that Dokun song.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 11:05   Link #1847
mike_s_6

Quote:
@mike_s_6 - I don't diss on May'n, I hate that one link where they say she's ugly. OF COURSE NOT!
Oh, I wasn't saying you hate her, I never even thought of that. Oh by way, here's a singer I think can nail a Ranka voice and sing emotively... this was recorded when she was about Megumi's age:

Yes it's Maaya Sakamoto. I always compare this to "Ao no Ether", because they're both emotive, well-composed songs (by Kanno) and sang by young teenagers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1553lZ2PLPw
Old 2009-07-11, 11:06   Link #1848
justavisitor

I like that Dokun song lol...almost all Ranka songs in Macross F are my favourite XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 11:07   Link #1849
BanishingBook

^ - that I accept. Thanks mike!
Old 2009-07-11, 11:08   Link #1850
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
^ - that I accept. Thanks mike!
You'll see a few people in this thread ages ago saying Maaya should've been Ranka, myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Oh, I wasn't saying you hate her, I never even thought of that. Oh by way, here's a singer I think can nail a Ranka voice and sing emotively... this was recorded when she was about Megumi's age:

Yes it's Maaya Sakamoto. I always compare this to "Ao no Ether", because they're both emotive, well-composed songs sang by young teenagers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1553lZ2PLPw
I said Maaya too God I loved that song back when I first saw Escaflowne. Maaya Sakamoto easily put in a more impressive debut seiyuu/singer performance in Escaflowne than Megumi did in Frontier.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 11:10   Link #1851
BanishingBook

^ - okay Westlo, I understand.

EDIT: you shouldn't have edited your earlier post. = \
Old 2009-07-11, 11:21   Link #1852
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
but maybe we wouldn't get such drivel as that Dokun song.
LOL, I get your point, but regardless of how plain or "easy to sing" that song is, it actually sounds like something she'd write for anyone who would sing as Ranka. And I like the song

You know, I am obviously not a Megumi basher, but this is something I would like to quite agree with - Kanno writes songs to fit the voice of the singer. Let's take for example Megumi's Aimo Tori no Hito, and compare it to KOKIA's Ai no Rinkaku.

You guys probably know Aimo Tori no Hito, so I won't show a sample of that. Here's a sample of Ai no Rinkaku:

Similarities - Same composer, the first two notes are the same (I'm sorry if this sounds trivial, but many Kanno songs do this, and they're always epic songs - Voices also has the same two notes at the start), musical form is also similar.

What's the difference? We know that Megumi is a novice and KOKIA is a pro. In Aimo Tori no Hito, the note sequences are shorter, allowing for breathing time. Ai no Rinkaku will make someone who's not professional gasp for breath because of the length of the notes. The notes in Ai no Rinkaku are also wider in range.

Also, in Aimo Tori no Hito, the backing track is toned down to emphasize Megumi's voice. In Ai no Rinkaku, the backing track is just as loud as the vocals, because KOKIA's voice is powerful enough to be heard.

So yeah, I think that if it wasn't Megumi who was singing for Ranka, then we could have had a better set of music, but we have actually have no way of proving that.
Old 2009-07-11, 11:34   Link #1853
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Guys guys... the selection of Megumi for Ranka was a completely deliberate attempt by the casting folks at Satelight. They intentionally wanted an amateur for the role, and she got picked. Please don't forget this very fact.

So really, with all these talks about Megu being amateurish or a novice, well... she was meant to be

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 11:46   Link #1854
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
So really, with all these talks about Megu being amateurish or a novice, well... she was meant to be

- Tak
That's right of course, but could you imagine a girl who is possibly like Maaya when she was younger, an amateur, singing as Ranka? I have to admit that my choice of comparison with KOKIA was too large a margin, but I didn't intend to say that she should have been replaced by a professional, no, not at all, it would ruin the character. I pointed out KOKIA for discussion purposes only, and was not meant to be a demerit to Megumi. (However, when I compare her with Maaya when she was younger, I really mean to point out what could have been, and I think the comparison is pretty much balanced)

Before it starts to look like I'm bringing her down, let me get back to the fact that I love her live performances where she's using her natural voice, and I think she should do more of that instead of the cutesy voice she uses in recordings. And I think that people who are saying her legs aren't long enough, or she's not dressed well, etc, come on guys, that's below the belt already.
Old 2009-07-11, 11:53   Link #1855
Tak

Yes, there were songs that Ranka was not meant to sing. Although I must note that she also worked very hard in that role.

If anything, I'd prefer Rurutia to sing some of the more complicated songs in the series, such as Aimo.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-07-11, 12:16   Link #1856
mike_s_6

You know, it makes me think, if Megumi was a singer in another series where she's perhaps singing the voice of a well-loved character, would she be bashed by the fans? I honestly don't think so.
Old 2009-07-11, 12:28   Link #1857
Tak

The funny thing is, Aya Endo, who actually voiced Sheryl's character, is completely left out of this equation.

- Tak

Old 2009-07-11, 14:05   Link #1858
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But of course. She's the girl who can voice one of the most complex and interesting characters ever in an anime show and then go be the annoying pet sidekick in another series. She's beyond reproach, Tak.

On the discussion raging now, I find this kind of behavior quite tasteless, myself. Bashing the VA for voicing and singing the songs of a character you don't like? Call her a fake? Hello, most entertainers are! It's their job, not their personal lives, people... I criticize most of her songs because I do like some others, which shows that I care. Not simply to vent...

Honestly, sometimes things do get out of hand, around these parts.

And I like Anata No Oto quite well, myself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 14:18   Link #1859
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Honestly, sometimes things do get out of hand, around these parts.
I've decided that green is the ugliest, most putrid color in existence It serves no purpose and should be eliminated from the spectrum.

Pink, on the other hand, is the greatest!
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 14:22   Link #1860
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I've decided that green is the ugliest, most putrid color in existence It serves no purpose and should be eliminated from the spectrum.

Pink, on the other hand, is the greatest!
My thinking exactly. Add a rational explanation to that and multiply it by personal suffering ;P

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music