AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-05, 18:38   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Most disappointing anime of 2011 (in your opinion)

While it may seems too early for this one but the next anime release would be in January 1st 2012 and so I think it good enough for such discussion.

While I don't want to start a flame wars but I think Clamp's Blood-C is one of the most disappointing anime in 2011. Its good to see Clamp making a serious seinen show than their usual shoujo ones. However my main disappointment is it lacks of 'true' ending and may not get a sequel or second season like Clamp's previous title like Kobato(though Kobato is twice the length of Blood-C). I think someone need to rehash Blood-C soon.

Another disappointment is Kimi to Boku. While I already knew who its target audiences but I can't bring myself watching it more than 15 minutes of the first episode. It is so awkward that I felt much I wasn't belong there. Maybe all-male slice-of-life casts concept is not as good as it heard. This sounds too personal but I really disappoint with it because I had high hopes for it before watching it.

I deliberately not mentioning Persona 4 because I enjoyed it, though I quite disappoint that it was their personas that do the fighting, not the characters.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 18:40   Link #2
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
While I don't want to start a flame wars but I think Clamp's Blood-C is one of the most disappointing anime in 2011. Its good to see Clamp making a serious seinen show than their usual shoujo ones. However my main disappointment is it lacks of 'true' ending and may not get a sequel or second season like Clamp's previous title like Kobato(though Kobato is twice the length of Blood-C). I think someone need to rehash Blood-C soon.
Huh? It had a movie continuation announced before the series even ended IIRC. And the best part is that the Japanese government are funding some of it....

As for the thread question.. tempted to put down Persona 4 but I want to think about it...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 19:06   Link #3
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai- Due to it's humor and plot being very cliched the series was very dull for me.

Steins;Gate- It has an interesting idea but the pacing was awful and the characters minus Okarin are very generic.

A-Channel- Everything about that show was awful.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica- The show has a an interesting art style and music but it seems like they go for the shock factor instead making the audience emotionally attached to it.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 20:03   Link #4
Eater of All
NOM

No. 6, C, and Fractale

...Notice a pattern?
Old 2011-11-05, 20:41   Link #5
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai- Due to it's humor and plot being very cliched the series was very dull for me.

Steins;Gate- It has an interesting idea but the pacing was awful and the characters minus Okarin are very generic.

A-Channel- Everything about that show was awful.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica- The show has a an interesting art style and music but it seems like they go for the shock factor instead making the audience emotionally attached to it.
I think Fractale would be the most disappointing anime ever XD (and I think most disappointing doesn't apply to PMMM)
Old 2011-11-05, 20:48   Link #6
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
No. 6, C, and Fractale

...Notice a pattern?
Rich kid in another universe?

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 21:08   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yeah, I'm going to go with No. 6 and C myself.

They both could have been great sci-fi classics if they simply had better endings.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-11-05 at 21:47.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 21:13   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Rich kid in another universe?
SciFi series on NoitaminA.

I think C would have been excellent if it didn't fall apart at the end though.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 21:28   Link #9
Kirarakim

Well with what I actually finished it would definitely be No. 6. . I knew the sci-fi aspect was going to be rushed so I wasn't expecting much from that (although I also didn't expect it to be as bad as it was in the end). However I actually hoped the relationship aspect would make up for the rushed plot. Unfortunately that was not to be the case and I felt they even messed that up in the end.

But really the most disappointing thing about anime in 2011 was the "big" announcement of what the new Rurouni Kenshin project was going to be.
Old 2011-11-05, 22:34   Link #10
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
No.69 was definitely disappointing. Started out as a somewhat decent dystopian sci fi anime with somewhat fun character interactions to some nonsensical bullshit at the end and resulting in me wanting to slap the entire cast. Loose ends? More like the entire thing fell apart and splattered all over the place.

I would say Persona 4, but that anime isn't complete. It looks like a cheap piece of shit that manages to be rushed even though it's 2 cour. As I've said "Persona 4: The Animation" has at least half the title as a misnomer. Calling it anime might be giving it too much credit.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 22:49   Link #11
Dawnstorm

I'd agree with:

Blood C: I was pretty curious what CLAMP would make of the Blood franchise (of which I've only seen Blood+). Not impressed, they sacrificed character to plot-twist. Not impressed. I expected more.

C: Interesting set-up, going nowhere. They had a pattern going of bringing interesting points up that went nowhere. Btw, I was disappointed from episode 1: the show didn't convince me of its premise: combat is a lousy metaphor for a deal (even if it's about abstract finance, where it's more important than elsewhere). Meh. Wasted potential.

I thought No. 6 was okay, and Fractale didn't deliver, but I went into neither show with too many expectations, so that was okay.

Persona 4 is a bit of a disappointment so far. Ironically, I like the show best where they deviate from the game (even though I love the game), so I suspect that they might get better with more confidence. (I just fear that franchise pressure from money makers and fear of disappointing a fanbase will hinder their vision...)

How about balancing this thread with a "Positive surprises of 2011". Worth a thread?
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 22:50   Link #12
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It sounds like a good idea; this is a bit too lopsided.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 23:10   Link #13
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

i have 2011 shows that i haven't finished yet bec. of RL matters. but i have to say, blood-c, no. 6 and kimi to boku. the last two, you may guess why. DX

and i just have to wonder wth was so disappointing with PMMM and S;G. i see nothing though..=D
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 23:11   Link #14
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
C

I was darn pumped up after the first teaser and like others here was disapointed.

Still love the OP and ED though,and it did please the Hakura Tomatsu fanboy in me,so there's that.
The studio being hit by the earthquake just before airing started probably didn't help.

Another one is deadman wonderland just because we got a one cour which means we have no real ending and odds are we won't be getting a season 2.
Old 2011-11-05, 23:42   Link #15
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'll throw in the darkhorse called The Mystic Archives of Dantalian. It was actually quite good up until episode five, in which the show never quite recovered from that mess. Why did an anime that managed to succeed at treating itself very seriously decide to throw away any pretense of subtlety? The storyline of each week started moving so fast that there was hardly anything learned about the characters it introduced, the books lost most of their significance, and to add insult to injury they include a comic relief scene right before a serious moment at the end. WTH Gainax?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 01:07   Link #16
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Persona 4 without a doubt for me. Someone please make sure Seiji Kishi doesn't get a high profile anime anymore. He's already ruined both Angel Beats and Persona 4 for me
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 01:09   Link #17
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Persona 4 without a doubt for me. Someone please make sure Seiji Kishi doesn't get a high profile anime anymore. He's already ruined both Angel Beats and Persona 4 for me
This.

SO MUCH THIS.

I was so excited for Persona 4, and it bombed harder than I possibly thought it could.
Old 2011-11-06, 01:29   Link #18
Fuyuno
Banned

Winter: Fractale and Madoka Magica
Spring: A-Channel, Deadman Wonderland, and C
Summer: No. 6, Ikoku Meiro no Croisée and R-15
Autumn: Horizon and Persona 4

Man I didn't watch lots of anime this year but at least I still can complete the list.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 01:53   Link #19
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

R-15, probably. The premise actually looks kind of amusing, but the execution had me losing interest in half an episode.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 03:24   Link #20
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Having taken time to watch older series, I haven't seen many anime that aired this year, but I'll pitch in.

Fractale
There was so much that could have been done with this story. In the end it was entertaining with some good moments that were overshadowed by obvious fail all around. What the heck were Okada and Yamakan thinking when they made this?

Infinite Stratos
I expected it to be rather lame and uninspired. It turned out to be horrible.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
The first episode was so hilarious I was almost crying from laughter. While the next few episodes weren't quite as good, they were fairly consistent in their dark, offbeat presentation and humor. The start of the second arc suddenly lost most of that dark charm for me, and it also became strangely unfunny. The last 2-3 episodes of the second arc finally regained some of the style of the first arc, but the disappointment that I had felt for a while couldn't be wiped away.

Nichijou
This is on hold right now, but from the nine episodes I've seen, it's just a sad, unsuccessful attempt to make the audience laugh. It just might get better though, as it strangely happens with some comedies (it did for Seto no Hanayome).

Yumekui Merry
How could an anime that started off so good end so abysmally? Manga adaptations like this are why I prefer straight-to-the-source manga adaptations with cut off endings over attempts to close off with an anime-original ending.

I actually thought [C] was fairly good, despite how ridiculously rushed it got. While the story was doomed towards the end, there was at least some effort from the director to make a decent product out of it, unlike with Fractale. I still think it could have been a masterpiece if it was given enough running time, though. I wonder if I'm the only one who liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
How about balancing this thread with a "Positive surprises of 2011". Worth a thread?
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Someone please make sure Seiji Kishi doesn't get a high profile anime anymore. He's already ruined both Angel Beats and Persona 4 for me
Hey, I liked Kamisama Dolls and Seto no Hanayome (despite how terribly the latter started off). He certainly has problems, but he can do quite a good job if given appropriate source material.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote