AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-19, 00:09   Link #1
Skygazer629

Dark, good looking, Anime Suggestions, Help me out

Hey, I'm trying to figure out what anime I should watch next.

Ideally I like dark anime, and probably fairly recent anime in the sense I don't like visually old looking anime. (I.E. Berserk I think I'd probably enjoy, but I'm not in the mood for watching that, I think it looks too old.)

Anime I really enjoyed included: Tsukihime, Elfen Lied, Fate/Stay Night, Hellsing, Noir, Gantz.

Other anime I've watched, and have thought was "ok" : Gungrave, Blue Gender, Evangelion, Outlaw Star.

Anime I really disliked: Fushigi Yugi... I hear its great, but i couldnt get past a couple episodes of ridiculous character animation, a girl's obsession with food, and really visually dissapointing anime. Also "Slayers"... just too childish, but I liked the way it looked visually.

Anime I'm currently in the process of watching (whether it be fansubs, or licensed): Ergo Proxy, and Death Note. I'm really liking both of those, especially Death Note.

What would you suggest I watch? I think I especially enjoy anime with dark characters with super human powers.. which is why I'd really like something like Hellsing and Elfen Lied. Alucard from Hellsing is probably my favorite anime character, although I also like the main characters in Death note a lot.

I was considering something like Witch Hunter Robin, Neon Genesis Evangelion (not crazy about mech stuff though, but it gets tremendous reviews), or Full Metal Alchemist. Blood+ as well, but that's really pricey atm, and I wouldnt go for that unless I probably got some great reviews to go with that. I've heard "Monster" mentioned as well, but I'm not considering that one at the moment. If you'd recommend one of the others or something else, please let me know.

On a side note, as Gantz season 2 does a little bit etc, nudity etc doesnt bother me in any selections and I generally enjoy that if it's well done. A little mixture of love story or tragedy in it is something i generally like, which is why I'm so high on Elfen Lied. Dark, violent, love story, tragic, etc. Mostly i think it's the fact that it's dark and the characters look visually great.

Please help me out. I'm not sure what to check out next. Thanks!
Old 2007-02-19, 00:34   Link #2
miaka

Code Geass - action/mecha currently ongoing... protagonist has God-like power.
Black Blood Brothers -- vampire story. Its only 12 episodes
Chevalier -- licensed
The Third -- action/adventure
Old 2007-02-19, 01:02   Link #3
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
if you liked Fate then also try Shakugan no Shana

and also try

Higurashi no naku koro ni for some mystery........

Last edited by capture; 2007-02-19 at 01:33.
Old 2007-02-19, 01:14   Link #4
fto
Anime Forever

Monster, Speed Grapher.. (Horror, Mystery)-both very good and will keep you busy for some time

Both are very dark, I loved them both.

\Also second to Shakugan no Shana if you liked FAte/ Stay night... i think Fate is better, but is similarish in a way.;
Old 2007-02-19, 01:26   Link #5
Joojoobees

Witch Hunter Robin is a good call. It has a dark tone to most of it. A lot of scenes are people in long coats running around in the dark. Very stylish. Has secret societies and betrayal. Good stuff. Oh, and really good music.

Oh, and you might want to check out Serial Experiments Lain. It is pretty weird looking ... "good looking" might not be the exactly right word, because it is visually more experimental. It is definitely dark and creepy.
Old 2007-02-19, 10:22   Link #6
Navel

Gankutsuou - it's even more than you asked for (it's not like the novel, btw).

A wild shot, but it would be interesting to see what you think about Kemonozume as well.
Old 2007-02-19, 15:03   Link #7
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Speed Grapher is pretty close to what your looking for I think. Also Monster and Higurashi are worth checking out. And Code Geass since you like Death Note.

Hope you do give Berserk a try, story makes up for the lack of animation.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Old 2007-02-20, 19:51   Link #8
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ghost Hunt is a must watch!! Ongoing but has its dark, creepy moment!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-02-21, 01:12   Link #9
Moon Eclipse

Witch Hunter Robin is good I really liked it myself, but it's not the bash-em-smash-em animes so if that's what you want I'd probably shy away from it. There is fighting but it's not the main focus.

X has its dark moments and is another anime I would suggest.

Blood+ is good on various levels, though for me it was my second time through before I actually appreciated it a lot more fully. Don't get me wrong I liked it the first time but the second is when it hit me.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni would be the last one I suggest but be WARNED you better have a strong stomach, okay with watching horrors. This is not an anime for the light hearted. Be sure you know what you're getting yourself into before watching this
Old 2007-02-21, 08:38   Link #10
mangasuki

ergo proxy
monster
Old 2007-02-21, 21:55   Link #11
Rare
Verses

Maybe try Paranoia Agent? Licensed.

Weird, more creepy than outright horrifying with some really odd episodes thrown in.

Oh, when I scan read the title for this thread it looked kinda like a lonely hearts ad in a newspaper 'Dark, good looking ... ' ^^
Old 2007-02-21, 23:39   Link #12
Oloko

Send a message via MSN to Oloko
Texhnolyze
You got all elements you want in this anime: very dark people that have some "super human powers".

Jin-Roh
Kind of hard to explain this movie but its realy dark and has a nice story. Realy wort seeing it.

You should also try this serie:Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage)

second Witch Hunter Robin, Serial Experiments Lain

I know there is a mistake in "Souufrance" but I lost my .psd
Animes:
Seen all
Masterpieces
Old 2007-02-22, 01:58   Link #13
mishka

Try Noein it's everything you're looking for (dark, good/unconventional animation) not everyone would like the way it's drawn, but i loved it.
also try Fullmetal Alchemist if you havent already seen it!
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho: Tou is ongoing and it's only 11 episodes I believe. It's dark, and has plenty of action with GREAT animation.
Karas has lots of action, and very very good animation, and some computer animated scenes.....it's really good.
Closed Thread